• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
BladedExpert said:
As far as I can tell, flag juggling only really works in Stockpile. In CTF it hardly works.
Whether it's faster or not, it doesn't stop assholes from doing it, unfortunately. :(

5xvs07.jpg

God I love Covy Slayer.

feel

Have Bungie mentioned somewhere if they're taking note of all the most common complaints, and planing to fix them before release?? As much as I like it, there's so much stuff wrong with the game, my hopes for them to actually make it all right before release are very low.

After all the AA pimping, a huuuuuuge nerf to cooldown times on the abilities (or any other kind of major nerf to them) is something I'm not really expecting sadly, but at least weapon damage, melee, reticules, UI stuff, etc would be nice to see fixed.

Is there an email or some place to send serious well thought out feedback?

GhaleonEB said:
Agree. And I just today noticed that in addition to the expanding, nigh-invisible cross hair for the pistol, it's also got quite a bit of recoil, pulling your aim upward. I think the recoil is excessive on top of the expanding targeting reticule.
I like how you removed the beard too, in protest of all the problems with the sandbox.

Letters said:
Have Bungie mentioned somewhere if they're taking note of all the most common complaints, and planing to fix them before release?? As much as I like it, there's so much stuff wrong with the game, my hopes for them to actually make it all right before release are very low.

After all the AA pimping, a huuuuuuge nerf to cooldown times on the abilities (or any other kind of major nerf to them) is something I'm not really expecting sadly, but at least weapon damage, melee, reticules, UI stuff, etc would be nice to see fixed.

Is there an email or some place to send serious well thought out feedback?

I like how you removed the beard too, in protest of all the problems with the sandbox.

The only cooldown time that need a nerf, IMO, is the Camo. Everything else is fine. Having a long cooldown on Sprint or the Jetpack would just make using them frustrating.

I think all of the armour abilities are fine. Nothing feels overpowered. I'd say my sprint usage is like 60% now. Haven't gone negative in 20 games. :D

feel

Thagomizer said:
The only cooldown time that need a nerf, IMO, is the Camo. Everything else is fine. Having a long cooldown on Sprint or the Jetpack would just make using them frustrating.
Agree on Sprint, but on Jetpack, IMO, people would need to use them more responsibly like a Grav Lift that you can use once every minute (or maybe make the wait 30 seconds until it recharges), instead of constantly floating everywhere cheaply annoying everyone and making knowing how to navigate properly the layout and routes meaningless.

Striker

Dax01 said:
To me, the melee is practically useless and doesn't feel satisfying at all. A huge step down from halo 3, where the melee was so satisfying.
I don't agree with that; what's satisfying? To me, I'm glad there's no lunge that's akin to Halo 2 and Halo 3. The timing is just something I'll have to get down while using it with an AR, Pistol, or something else. No lunge is a good thing to have.

Unless I'm missing your point.

BladedExpert said:
As far as I can tell, flag juggling only really works in Stockpile. In CTF it hardly works.
Nah, still happens much so in 1-CTF. My team had a quitter, so it was 3 vs. 4, and that's all they did.

Flag dropped, Flag taken, Flag dropped, Flag taken, and it gets there as fast as folks would in Stockpile, or at least it seems that way.

I was under the impression it was fixed, as Urk mentioned it several weeks ago. Sigh.

Letters said:
Agree on Sprint, but on Jetpack, IMO, people would need to use them more responsibly like a Grav Lift that you can use one every minute, instead of constantly floating everywhere cheaply annoying everyone and making the map layout and routes meaningless.
Clay pigeon shooting: it's what your pistol is for.

Striker said:
I was under the impression it was fixed, as Urk mentioned it several weeks ago. Sigh.
Like the Stockpile scoring, it's fixed, but not in the beta.

Wizpig

Shake Appeal said:
I think all of the armour abilities are fine. Nothing feels overpowered.
Absolutely.
It will probably be my favorite Halo game ever in multiplayer.

I just don't like the blur effect; headaches etc.

JambiBum

Can't keep up with the thread. I have most of my kills with the AR. I really enjoy using it. Just have to know the right situation.

Does anyone want to hop in a group and play?

Popeck

Shake Appeal said:
I think all of the armour abilities are fine. Nothing feels overpowered. I'd say my sprint usage is like 60% now. Haven't gone negative in 20 games. :D

I rarely use anything but Sprint, jetpack maybe sometimes. I like the increase in mobility those two bring into play. I don't even remember when I've last used armor lock. Tried active camo a couple of times and managed to fool a few enemies, but in the end I just wanted to sprint away.

Letters said:
Agree on Sprint, but on Jetpack, IMO, people would need to use them more responsibly like a Grav Lift that you can use once every minute (or maybe make the wait 30 seconds until it recharges), instead of constantly floating everywhere cheaply annoying everyone and making knowing how to navigate properly the layout and routes meaningless.

This is balanced by the fact that abusing the jetpack gets you swatted out of the sky by anyone who is halfway decent.

Shake Appeal said:
The pistol is such a fucking beast, wow.
Was just in a team game where some dude and his friend were complaining about the magnum, saying "man I shot him like 20 times the pistol is so weak" and the other half of their discussion was about being killed in 5 shots, did it not occur to them to aim for the head? :(

JambiBum

Diablohead said:
Was just in a team game where some dude and his friend were complaining about the magnum, saying "man I shot him like 20 times the pistol is so weak" and the other half of their discussion was about being killed in 5 shots, did it not occur to them to aim for the head? :(

I'm gonna guess that it's too late for you to talk again? :lol

Popeck said:
I rarely use anything but Sprint, jetpack maybe sometimes. I like the increase in mobility those two bring into play. I don't even remember when I've last used armor lock. Tried active camo a couple of times and managed to fool a few enemies, but in the end I just wanted to sprint away.
Yeah. I've had a few amazing armour lock moments (hitting it just as a guy hammers me to take his shield down, coming out immediately and headshotting him), and even fewer amazing camo moments, but mostly I just want to be able to get in and out of trouble as fast as possible.

Shake Appeal said:
Yeah. I've had a few amazing armour lock moments (hitting it just as a guy hammers me to take his shield down, coming out immediately and headshotting him), and even fewer amazing camo moments, but mostly I just want to be able to get in and out of trouble as fast as possible.

I haven't had any Armor Lock moments, mostly because I almost never use it, but I've had some amazing camo moments including one awesome double assassination. Knifed one guy, went to camo, snapped the neck of his buddy as he came around the corner :D

feel

Thagomizer said:
This is balanced by the fact that abusing the jetpack gets you swatted out of the sky by anyone who is halfway decent.
I know, but I just personally hate the fact that an enemy can be anywhere now, instead of the regular paths that you can be on the lookout for them on, like in the previous Halo games. Makes me uncomfortably paranoid. :(

I think I will be embracing MLG rules/playlist this time, sigh...

Popeck

Shake Appeal said:

Armor lock can be useful if you have teammates around. Charge at enemies, lockdown and let your teammates take out the confused enemies. "Well, whaddya know, lockdown is my specialty", John Forge would say.

Mastperf

urk said:
Gotta ease it in, homey.
I can understand the need for letting people in in smaller groups but.....that's a shit load of codes.:lol
I understand that it might be beyond your control with marketing and all.

Not sure how I feel about melee attacks blocking the sword. Most encounters where I know the sword is in play I just starting yamming on melee and I usually come out victorious. On one hand it is a nice way to tone down the sword but maybe the timing window for the block should be shorter or something... it's just too easy at the moment.

Swat just brings out the worst in people, just had 3 games where people either camped in the lift room of Sword Base or the Generator Room of Powerhouse. I also got shot through the wall in that Powerhouse game, I did have people from abroad playing with me, but I hope that kind of thing is kinked out a bit more by the final game.

3 plots is pretty awesome though. :D

I have a lot of catching up to do in this thread so sorry if this has been posted. I cant remember who posted the link to that weird assassination glitch earlier, but I downloaded it and took this pic:

reach_17846_Full.jpg

I am so looking forward to seeing all the armor variants in the game. Also, if you download that video and move the camera you can even see an untextured helmet that looks like the pilot from Halo 3.

A few more pics here

Demoncarnotaur said:
I have a lot of catching up to do in this thread so sorry if this has been posted. I cant remember who posted the link to that weird assassination glitch earlier, but I downloaded it and took this pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/cplqpictures/reach_17846_Full.jpg[IMG]

I am so looking forward to seeing all the armor variants in the game. Also, if you download that video and move the camera you can even see an untextured helmet that looks like the pilot from Halo 3.

A few more pics [URL="http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Screenshots.aspx?player=DemonCarnotaur"]here[/URL][/QUOTE]
Going to look odd without robot legs lol, watched that clip earlier but it never occurred to me to actually download the file ingame and take a peek.

Ooh just noticed the classic helmet there, not a halo game without it :lol

zumphry

Banned
Demoncarnotaur said:
Also, if you download that video and move the camera you can even see an untextured helmet that looks like the pilot from Halo 3.

Do you mean the Marathon helmet, or the EVA helmet like Emile's (the one with the skull on it)?

ZayneH said:
Do you mean the Marathon helmet, or the EVA helmet like Emile's (the one with the skull on it)?
Looking now, I think it's the one with the small yellow dots for eyes and the large cheek tubes.

I also noticed some of the spartans are female, so I am guessing we can play as female looking spartans in MP now, maybe even single player if the character carries across. Interesting.

One of the body parts also has grenades across the front, the tube like smokes.

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
Yeah, I'm all for Reach-ifhying Soffish there, but I can't say I'm a fan of Sage's work after getting my hands on it.

I'm getting used to many elements of the game, but the sandbox definitely has a host of issues. I hope to be surprised at how many changes are made from Beta to ship.

I've moved from disappointed surprise, to disgust, to semi-coherent critiques in the span of the first couple days. Today I'm moving toward constructive criticism and acceptance. It's in my nature to vent what I don't like a few times and move on. There's a LOT of good stuff in here, but it's a lot creakier than I was hoping.

Too late to call a mulligan on making the Reach thread? At the rate I'm going... :p

Hopping back on now, hope to hook up with you guys.

2mo9ijt.png

If this is not allowed Bungie I will delete it, but since a lot of people know about it now it's interesting, another arm item there too.

zumphry

Banned
Diablohead said:
Looking now, I think it's the one with the small yellow dots for eyes and the large cheek tubes.

EOD? Bah. If I don't see a Marathon/Security helmet in Reach's retail release, or Marathon emblem I'm going to cry. A lot.

though, they could be saving those models to make them look better for Marathon: Pfhor to kick start the Marathon sequel trilogy :lol

ZayneH said:
EOD? Bah. If I don't see a Marathon/Security helmet in Reach's retail release, or Marathon emblem I'm going to cry. A lot.

though, they could be saving those models to make them look better for Marathon: Pfhor to kick start the Marathon sequel trilogy :lol
Yes, this. The Security helmet has to return.

JambiBum

Can someone render this for me please?

I threw a plasma at another guy in a jetpack and barely miss his foot, then he flies towards me with his rockets but little does he know that I have a gravity hammer. He misses me with his rocket and then I smack him down with my hammer :lol

Kuroyume

Banned
The game is beginning to click with me now. Initially, I kept taking slow careful head shots with the pistol and DMR to keep the reticle accurate rather than rapidly shooting to pop the shield and then taking one careful shot.

Flag throwing was removed for the game but still in the beta or was the BWU about something else? I can still get a decent boost by throwing it in CTF. It would be really difficult to walk the flag around the long way on Swordbase if the flag wasn't thrown. You're pretty damn slow running with it meanwhile enemies have access to jetpacks and the sprint. I understand some people don't like the announcer but it's necessary.

Smokey

ZayneH said:

Ay, thnx for the render earlier btw.

Kuroyume said:
The game is beginning to click with me now.

That's all it is really. Shit is different and takes alot of adjustment especially if you played a lot of H3. Once it clicks though..it is glorious.

Kuroyume said:
Flag throwing was removed for the game but still in the beta or was the BWU about something else? I can still get a decent boost by throwing it in CTF. It would be really difficult to walk the flag around the long way on Swordbase if the flag wasn't thrown. You're pretty damn slow running with it meanwhile enemies have access to jetpacks and the sprint. I understand some people don't like the announcer but it's necessary.
No that would be your team mates helping you by covering your back, not lame ass flag juggling to saftey, you are slow with the flag for a reason. Can't wait for retail reach so nurf the juggle so hard that we can stop hearing that flag dropped flag taken speech repeat itself.

JambiBum

JambiBum said:
Can someone render this for me please?

I threw a plasma at another guy in a jetpack and barely miss his foot, then he flies towards me with his rockets but little does he know that I have a gravity hammer. He misses me with his rocket and then I smack him down with my hammer :lol

Repost since it was the last post on the page and will get over looked.

Top Bottom