• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Mo0

Thagomizer said:
Speaking of shotguns, where is the one on Powerhouse? Bnet says I've died 5 times from it, but I don't remember ever running across it in any form.
If I remember right, it spawns in the rocky area near the little apartment building.

The grenade launcher is freakin' invisible over in the bath house, by the way. That one had to get pointed out to me.

JambiBum

Thagomizer said:
Speaking of shotguns, where is the one on Powerhouse? Bnet says I've died 5 times from it, but I don't remember ever running across it in any form.

Blue spawn. It's down in the rocks on the left side. Before you get to the little room that precedes the beam rifle. I can't be as exact with that location as I can't remember the call sign for the area.

ntb825

Have there been any reported issues with activating Bungie Pro?

I bought it on Friday night and it's still not activated. Am I doing it wrong?

I bought it through ODST, btw.

ntb825 said:
Have there been any reported issues with activating Bungie Pro?

I bought it on Friday night and it's still not activated. Am I doing it wrong?

I bought it through ODST, btw.

All you do is buy it and start using.

What's it not letting you do?

ntb825

UltimaPooh said:
All you do is buy it and start using.

What's it not letting you do?
I can't render on the B.net and I only have 6 upload slots still.

edit: Basically, everything it should do :lol

clashfan

GhaleonEB said:
Lemme add to this:

The animation, advancement systems (credits, armory, commendations, etc.) and sound design are all superb.

I'm glad you are liking Reach better. I was shaken to the core by your initial reaction...

ntb825 said:

edit: Basically, everything it should do :lol

I guess you tried everything? Logging in and out of Bungie.net? Are you using the same gamertag and Microsoft ID that is on the one you registered Pro with?

If all of those fail I say contact them directly.

ntb825

UltimaPooh said:
I guess you tried everything? Logging in and out of Bungie.net? Are you using the same gamertag and Microsoft ID that is on the one you registered Pro with?

If all of those fail I say contact them directly.
Yeah i've tried all of that.

I already sent them an e-mail.

Thanks for the help.

GhaleonEB

clashfan said:
I'm glad you are liking Reach better. I was shaken to the core by your initial reaction...
Thing is, I stand by most of those criticisms. But I'm also 1) adjusting to the "feel" I disliked so much, and 2) failed to mention the long list of stuff that's awesome. So it gave the wrong impression.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
GhaleonEB said:
Thing is, I stand by most of those criticisms. But I'm also 1) adjusting to the "feel" I disliked so much, and 2) failed to mention the long list of stuff that's awesome. So it gave the wrong impression.

just wait till you go through a bad stretch, it'll flare your criticisms up 100 fold

Why do I have to bother playing a round after the other team have 2 flag caps and we have none? The best we can do is 2-1 it's pointless. Just end the game so I can move to another quicker.

edit: Basically, everything it should do
Has it downloaded the file it wants inside ODST? There was a 108kb file that took a little while to queue for me that must be the activation key.

GhaleonEB

DopeyFish said:
just wait till you go through a bad stretch, it'll flare your criticisms up 100 fold
Nah, I don't need to win to have fun; never have with Halo. If that were the case, I'd have hated all of'em. :lol

big ander

Had a bunch of fun games over the course of the night with Moonman, Gui, Zayne, Hostile, Blueblur, and more. Also saw kibbles on the other team once. And we played a Bungie employee.

I'm liking the game more and more as I find more specialties for myself. Spoiling a stockpile collection with sprint, evading with a hammer, nailing nerfle and dmr headshots...it's all starting to feel so good.

Oozer: awesome Arena app. Can't wait to really test it out.

Ducks

I'm gonna ask a stupid question. Does one need a copy of ODST period, or must it be a new copy (some kind of code included) to get the beta on the 3rd? I was planning on buying a copy of ODST tomorrow, and it'd be great if I didn't have to buy it new.

Apath

Ducks said:
I'm gonna ask a stupid question. Does one need a copy of ODST period, or must it be a new copy (some kind of code included) to get the beta on the 3rd? I was planning on buying a copy of ODST tomorrow, and it'd be great if I didn't have to buy it new.
As long as you have the ODST disc in any way, shape, or form, you can play the Beta on May 3rd.

Sai-kun

Banned
What's with all the plasma launcher hate? Using it awesomely is like making art!
Finger painting art :( but it's still fun as hell!

Sibylus

Banned
Sai-kun said:
What's with all the plasma launcher hate? Using it awesomely is like making art!
Finger painting art :( but it's still fun as hell!
Most people are probably turned off by the thought of blasting each other with hot space goo.

Wiggum2007

Maybe this sounds stupid, but I think the new voting system gives people too much choice. I kind of enjoyed in Halo 3 when a gametype you don't see very often came up occasionally, as a nice change of pace. Like "Oh alright, VIP, haven't played that in awhile, this should be fun." Now I never get to play those gametypes (3 Plots and Crazy King being specific examples in the beta) because nobody ever votes for them.

Sai-kun

Banned
Botolf said:
Most people are probably turned off by the thought of blasting each other with hot space goo.
Well, that sounds like my kinda thing. So I'll see if I can't have it as my most used weapon by the end of the beta :D

Wiggum2007 said:
Maybe this sounds stupid, but I think the new voting system gives people too much choice. I kind of enjoyed in Halo 3 when a gametype you don't see very often came up occasionally, as a nice change of pace. Like "Oh alright, VIP, haven't played that in awhile, this should be fun." Now I never get to play those gametypes(3 Plots and Crazy King being specific examples in the beta) because nobody ever votes for them.
I think it only seems that way because we are limited to 2 maps and not enough gametypes. Remember it being introduced as offering the chosen gametype/map, new gametype/same map, new map/similar gametype, and none of the above.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
dunno if this has been answered, kind of a big thread but: will the beta be opened at midnight tomorrow night, or will it be midday sometime? I'll definitely stay up a couple hours late to play if it's midnight....

Sai-kun

Banned
Thaedolus said:
dunno if this has been answered, kind of a big thread but: will the beta be opened at midnight tomorrow night, or will it be midday sometime? I'll definitely stay up a couple hours late to play if it's midnight....
Mid-day they said.

Wiggum2007

As powerful as it feels when I'm using it, I can't say I've felt the effects of Plasma Launcher abuse. In fact I've had better luck countering Plasma Launcher users than other power weapons. I think if anything the hammer needs to be toned down somehow (specifically hammer/sprint combo).

Son of Godzilla said:
I think it only seems that way because we are limited to 2 maps and not enough gametypes. Remember it being introduced as offering the chosen gametype/map, new gametype/same map, new map/similar gametype, and none of the above.

Yeah, come autumn my worries may end up being completely unfounded. I'm just afraid that the fun little niche games that show up occasionally to spice things up will suffer due to this system. Then again I'm sure at some point we'll get some playlists like Action Sack in H3 to satisfy my weird tastes in game variants.

Presco

Can anybody tell me how to edit the name or description of a film? I tried uploading something to my fileshare which didn't pass the filter and couldn't figure out how to edit the description. For as nice as the new UI looks, seems like certain things are pretty buried. I could be missing something very obvious but nothing jumped out at me.

JambiBum

Presco said:
Can anybody tell me how to edit the name or description of a film? I tried uploading something to my fileshare which didn't pass the filter and couldn't figure out how to edit the description. For as nice as the new UI looks, seems like certain things are pretty buried. I could be missing something very obvious but nothing jumped out at me.

It should come up right when you save the film. I don't understand how people have missed this as it comes up with the keyboard on screen every time.

after playing for awhile now, i can say that i'm really excited for campaign. it really feels like the sandbox is well designed for those experiences. multiplayer as it is in the beta is still a work in progress for me though.

Presco

JambiBum said:
It should come up right when you save the film. I don't understand how people have missed this as it comes up with the keyboard on screen every time.

No, I guess I didn't explain clearly. I gave the film a name and description, then tried to upload to my fileshare. The description had a flagged word so I received a message that I needed to edit the description. When I went back to the film and pressed X (options) I had only two options, 1) Upload to file share, or 2) Delete.

JambiBum

Presco said:
No, I guess I didn't explain clearly. I gave the film a name and description, then tried to upload to my fileshare. The description had a flagged word so I received a message that I needed to edit the description. When I went back to the film and pressed X (options) I had only two options, 1) Upload to file share, or 2) Delete.

Ah ok. I'm not quite sure about that. Sorry.

Iknos

After watching other people's vids on youtube all day I must say that the motion blur has to be toned down.

It is done in the same way they did it in Halo 3 where everything except an ellipse in the middle gets blurred. Sometimes looks like a fish eye lense effect when moving around fast.

Needs to be dynamic. High aim sensitivity? Should be toned down.

Understand that they want people to notice it though I keep in mind that L4D and TF2 have motion blur and understate the effect so Reach should consider that as well.

also i'm sorry (and i really hate to say it, honest) but the graphics really don't look that great to me. everything seems either muddy or with the same ol aliasing etc. like there are so many IQ issues for me on swordbase. whether its the incredibly boring interiors (white on gray on blank walls on vanilla sundae) or the aliasing galore (when looking from one side to the other).

still giving it time though and obviously, i'm still playing it :)

Ominym

Banned
The Elite assassination move is so impressive.

reach_8869_Full.jpg

GhaleonEB

Schmitty said:
I don't even know what this motion blur stuff is. I haven't noticed anything different
I notice it on occasion, but not much. I think the graphics are an enormous leap ahead of Halo 3's iteration, it borders on absurd.

GhaleonEB said:
I notice it on occasion, but not much. I think the graphics are an enormous leap ahead of Halo 3's iteration, it borders on absurd.

i really need to go back and look at halo 3 then. i can tell you the armor and guns look waaay better in reach, so do the skyboxes. so why doesn't it look 'absurdly' better to me while i'm playing it? this is frustrating.

xMk2x

Banned
Am I correct in expecting the beta to go live for Australians in the evening of Monday? I'm just working out whether I will be sick tomorrow or Tuesday.

Top Bottom