• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Diablohead said:
Woah wait wait! Am I Reading this right on my touch, that arina is dmr only game? Fuck that shit why can't we have arena using stuff like slayer classic, you know like with ar and pistol starts and all weapons around the map
like normal?

If arena is just slayer pro I'm not even going to bother with it. Fuck.

relax

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Diablohead said:
Woah wait wait! Am I Reading this right on my touch, that arina is dmr only game? Fuck that shit why can't we have arena using stuff like slayer classic, you know like with ar and pistol starts and all weapons around the map
like normal?

If arena is just slayer pro I'm not even going to bother with it. Fuck.

Reach Beta Guide said:
Team Slayer
Round Time Limit: 12 minutes
Maps: Powerhouse, Sword Base
Score to Win: 50
Loadout Palette: Slayer

Team Slayer Pro
Loadout Palette: Slayer Pro

Classic Slayer
Loadout Palette: Disabled
Primary Weapon: Assault Rifle
Secondary Weapon: Magnum
Base Grenades: 2x Frags
Base Equipment: Sprint/Evade

The Arena Playlist open on May 3rd. For more information about the Arena, check out the Game Modes section of the Halo: Reach Beta Guide.

It's all good.

snack

How do my friend and I play the beta together in the same game? I only saw the "Join Session" button. Is that it? I thought there would be a lobby invite button similar to MW2.

Tashi

snack said:
How do my friend and I play the beta together in the same game? I only saw the "Join Session" button. Is that it? I thought there would be a lobby invite button similar to MW2.

Hit A on their name in the active roster and press Invite to Party

Deputy Moonman said:
Ooh gonna have to disagree on that one. In the games that I've played, the person with armor lock gets away just as often as not because they either get a shield recharge, or other players come and kill you while you're sitting there. You can't time when to throw grenades to kill the person and it's spammable. You can get away with all kinds of crap using armor lock while defending the flag in powerhouse, too. I witnessed this today. And I don't mean that in a bad way. I'm just saying that it's not as simple as waiting for it to go off. In a 1v1 game, armor lock would not be overpowered, but throw in a bunch of players and I think it slows the game down and becomes a nuisance.

As a heavy armor lock user I agree that I get away probably just as much as I get killed. But I disagree on the others. When I go into armor lock my shields 95% of the time never go up, so when I come out I am a sitting duck. If you are waiting to kill me you should check your radar for my teammates, find suitable cover as you wait me out.

How would you change it though? What would you make differently about it?

KevinRo

UltimaPooh said:
I don't think it is. That COULD change when vehicles come into play...

If you go up against someone with Armor Lock you can still easily kill them. Just back away and wait for them to come out. Time the grenade right.

I don't mind the fact that it shields you but the TIMING is too fast. The jetpack takes time to boost, the running takes time to boost, and the camo takes time to boost. The armor lock though, it takes affect instantly. So what people do is they run at you and because of the way the melee system works you have to literally melee them first (yes you can spray the pistol and hope that you hit all 4 bullets). Knowing you have to melee them, they use armor lock at the last second and your shields go down to zero. They pop out and kill you.

KevinRo said:
I don't mind the fact that it shields you but the TIMING is too fast. The jetpack takes time to boost, the running takes time to boost, and the camo takes time to boost. The armor lock though, it takes affect instantly. So what people do is they run at you and because of the way the melee system works you have to literally melee them first (yes you can spray the pistol and hope that you hit all 4 bullets). Knowing you have to melee them, they use armor lock at the last second and your shields go down to zero. They pop out and kill you.

Don't stand next to them while they are in armor lock. Also the EMP at the end of the move is what gets your shields down, so back away.

I have been killed plenty of times before I could get armor lock up. A few times from a melee to my face, another few from a gun shot, a couple of times from rockets. It's not instantaneous like you would think.

Ten-Song

snack said:
Sorry but what active roster?

When you're in the match making screen you'll see a list below your name and lobby which displays friends currently online as well. From there you can scroll down to invite them or join them fairly easily.

UltimaPooh said:
Honestly, I have no idea how I would change it. I think if I could change just one thing, I might remove the ability to spam it. Whether or not you use it for a couple of seconds or for the full duration, I might make it so that it has a certain amount of cooldown before you can use it again. Perhaps, 5 seconds, maybe 10. I don't know if that would be a good thing or not. But it might help. Or else make it last for a set time that is uncontrolled by the person, so that you have to be careful about when you use it. It may save you, but you are forced to use it for the full duration. Then it can't be used again until fully recharging.

Tashi

Ten-Song said:
When you're in the match making screen you'll see a list below your name and lobby which displays friends currently online as well. From there you can scroll down to invite them or join them fairly easily.

Yea. On the right of your screen will be all of your friends playing Reach. Just hit the left stick to the right to highlight it. Then you'll want to find your buddy, click his name with A and hit invite to party. It's really simple.

snack

Ten-Song said:
Oh, okay. I never realized this. Thanks!

Ten-Song

Deputy Moonman said:
Honestly, I have no idea how I would change it. I think if I could change just one thing, I might remove the ability to spam it. Whether or not you use it for a couple of seconds or for the full duration, I might make it so that it has a certain amount of cooldown before you can use it again. Perhaps, 5 seconds, maybe 10. I don't know if that would be a good thing or not. But it might help. Or else make it last for a set time that is uncontrolled by the person, so that you have to be careful about when you use it. It may save you, but you are forced to use it for the full duration. Then it can't be used again until fully recharging.

That seems like a bad idea. What I like most about it currently is the level of control a person has when using armor lock. If a player was always stuck to the ground for a set amount of time, it would become trivial to counter it, as all you'd have to do is learn a bit of timing with throwing grenades. It may be a little too powerful currently, but if they remove the ability for the player to control how long they're down, then they might as well just get rid of the ability all together.

SpacLock

Team Klimt said:
Ef. Em. Elle.

My 360 just died while I was playing Halo 3 ^$#*#&^!!!

I must have been a total dick in a past life. This beta is gonna cost me $200. Jesus Christ.

Happened to me while I was downloading it a couple of days ago. Buy some time with the towel trick. That's what I did.

Apath

UltimaPooh said:
As a heavy armor lock user I agree that I get away probably just as much as I get killed. But I disagree on the others. When I go into armor lock my shields 95% of the time never go up, so when I come out I am a sitting duck. If you are waiting to kill me you should check your radar for my teammates, find suitable cover as you wait me out.

I'd remove the EMP effect. That or make it so coming out of Armor Lock causes a short cool down before it can be used again. I Armor Lock, and if they back up, I release it. If they throw a grenade, I put it back up. I'm able to do this pretty efficiently until a teammate comes and saves my ass or until whatever object I'm defending is delt with.

It's just too useful, IMO, when you can use it in short bursts. When people poke fun at the ability by posting videos/images of people using it in the middle of an open area by themselves, waiting for it to run out, that person is using it wrong. It would be akin to posting a video of a guy with a hammer engage someone with a Focus Rifle from across the map.

Man, I <3 Elite Slayer (finally BPro'd too).

-Still poor with melee.
ml46zl.jpg

-Sick of dudes sprinting up and double pounding me (similar if they have the hammer)
-Really only want to play Stockpile in a party, lack of co-ordination stinks

Anyway, Reach this morning (played H3 SP with the missus yesterday) went much better than yesterday, happy with my positive K/D ratio and 14 wins, 14 losses.

1zyed4.jpg

Apath

UltimaPooh said:
That's only towards the end of the armor lock ability. If you're smart about attacking a person in armor lock you won't stand right next to them.
I block entrances with it, stand over flags, or activate it when someone comes in for a melee. All have pretty good odds of hitting even an aware player with the EMP :D

Veelk

Banned
A quick question from a non beta player

Can you pick when you play as an elite like in Halo 3? Or does matchmaking pick gametypes with Covies for you?

Apath

Generic said:

Can you pick when you play as an elite like in Halo 3? Or does matchmaking pick gametypes with Covies for you?
In Halo 3 being an elite or spartan is at complete discretion of the player.

EDIT: Derp, what I get for being half asleep and reading posts. Thought you were asking a question about Halo 3 :lol

Yeah, Elites are based on game type, not choice like in H3.

Kenak said:
I block entrances with it, stand over flags, or activate it when someone comes in for a melee. All have pretty good odds of hitting even an aware player with the EMP :D

But it's still towards the end. If I see a guy guarding a flag with it I run in grab the flag and then back away. If the armor lock comes down at that moment and I lose shields i just bop them on the face and we're both dead or he's just dead.

I haven't run into anyone using it as an entrance deterrent yet or had anyone stop me from going somewhere while they use it.

Stopping a melee kill with it is fine, it's one of its uses. It doesn't mean you're a 100% safe just because you stopped the first melee, you could be killed right when you come back.

I don't think it needs much changing if at all. I'm not a one man army with it and I drop what ever I am carrying with it. Most of the time my shields never recharge when I go in to save myself. I am a sitting duck when I do it. Spamming it is possible but that only lasts for so long and recharge is slow already.

I guess you could make the recharge a bit more slower.

Generic said:

Based on gametype.

Wow I just realized that I have been calling the plasma launcher, the plasma repeater. I made all kinds of comments about it in game today and I'm guessing my teammaters were like, "what are you talking about?" :lol

For clarification, I think the Plasma Launcher has way too much ammo, not the repeater. :lol

Spirit3

This is just right out frustrating now. Incredibly bad team-mates (no idea what to do in Stockpile, think that flying around is now the object of the game etc etc) and a very inconsistent connection on someone's end (for the record, I have consistent connections to Bad Company 2, Halo 3 and halo 2 for reference) has made this Beta into an outright mess.

The game is actually great. Sadly the current player base and connection issues are not. Seriously, I'll be lucky to finish a single game before the connection drops. The only time it has been this bad is with Modern Warfare 2 and the Blur Beta. Frustration!

EazyB

Banned
UltimaPooh said:
I don't think it needs much changing if at all. I'm not a one man army with it and I drop what ever I am carrying with it. Most of the time my shields never recharge when I go in to save myself. I am a sitting duck when I do it. Spamming it is possible but that only lasts for so long and recharge is slow already.
Armor lock is too powerful. Needs a good nerfing but I think I heard Bungie's already on that.

I'mma abuse the hell out of it while I can though. And the grenades being so ridiculous I'll continue doing so.

If someone could render this video of me abusing armor lock I'd be most grateful:
Link

Spirit3 said:
This is just right out frustrating now. Incredibly bad team-mates (no idea what to do in Stockpile, think that flying around is now the object of the game etc etc) and a very inconsistent connection on someone's end (for the record, I have consistent connections to Bad Company 2, Halo 3 and halo 2 for reference) has made this Beta into an outright mess.

The game is actually great. Sadly the current player base and connection issues are not. Seriously, I'll be lucky to finish a single game before the connection drops. The only time it has been this bad is with Modern Warfare 2 and the Blur Beta. Frustration!
Connection issues? That are that bad?
For pretty much all of it us it has been great. Are you sure it's not yours?
If you've had trouble in other games recently it (like MW2 & Blur Beta) then it would stand to reason that it is your connection.

Apath

EazyB said:
Armor lock is too powerful. Needs a good nerfing but I think I heard Bungie's already on that.

I'mma abuse the hell out of it while I can though. And the grenades being so ridiculous I'll continue doing so.

If someone could render this video of me abusing armor lock I'd be most grateful:
Link
Deputy Moonman said:
Wow I just realized that I have been calling the plasma launcher, the plasma repeater. I made all kinds of comments about it in game today and I'm guessing my teammaters were like, "what are you talking about?" :lol

For clarification, I think the Plasma Launcher has way too much ammo, not the repeater. :lol
To be fair, Plasma Repeater is a much better name for the Plasma Launcher than the Plasma Repeater itself. I think Bungie should have just gone all the way and just made the Plasma Repeater the new Plasma Rifle.
Pookaki said:
It should be done in a sec.

Edit: Beaten?
I actually think the duration is fine (balance wise, not game play flow wise). The issue I have with it, duration wise, is that a player can activate it for moments at a time. IMO once you activate it, it should start the cooldown. Or something.

EDIT: Thought you were saying Armor Lock should be done in a sec :lol Again, I'm the child of autism and downs mating.

ChrisD84

Shake Appeal said:
I was going to wait until 100 games before writing out some long impressions, but I'm trying to give my eyes a break, and 80 is close enough.

*snip*

Thanks for the impressions Shake.

After reading this and everyone else's comments, i'm both excited and nervous to get to play this tomorrow!

I've convinced my best friend to buy ODST so that he can play this with me (the only other mp FPS games he has played are CoD4/MW2), so i really hope that we both like it, otherwise i'm going to feel quite bad afterwards :lol

I'm very pleased to hear that the netcode seems to be much improved, i get so frustrated in Halo 3 when i get matched up against players from the US (which is often), and i feel like i'm losing BR battles constantly due to the combination of latency and the random BR spread >_<

Of course this is always going to be an issue, but if the netcode is as good as i'm hearing it is, then it should be less of a problem.

KevinRo

UltimaPooh said:
Don't stand next to them while they are in armor lock. Also the EMP at the end of the move is what gets your shields down, so back away.

I have been killed plenty of times before I could get armor lock up. A few times from a melee to my face, another few from a gun shot, a couple of times from rockets. It's not instantaneous like you would think.

Didn't I just layout a scenario where you CAN'T stay away from them?

Pop around a corner and you have to melee them. They just armor lock and BOOM you have no shield...

EazyB

Banned
BadAss84 said:
I've convinced my best friend to buy ODST so that he can play this with me (the only other mp FPS games he has played are CoD4/MW2), so i really hope that we both like it, otherwise i'm going to feel quite bad afterwards :lol
If I have to guess I'm going to say he'll hate it, more than any of Halo if he's a CoD guy. The biggest thing that frustrates those types of players is how many shots it takes to put someone down without them running away. Reach has more instances like this than any Halo before it. Even I get frustrated by it with the guns dealing less damage and armor abilities extending the time to take someone down.

Hope I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised. Post about how you and him feel about it after playing it.

Pookaki said:
It should be done in a sec.
Thank you. Bnet is acting funny and I can't view now though.

ChrisD84

EazyB said:
If I have to guess I'm going to say he'll hate it, more than any of Halo if he's a CoD guy. The biggest thing that frustrates those types of players is how many shots it takes to put someone down without them running away. Reach has more instances like this than any Halo before it. Even I get frustrated by it with the guns dealing less damage and armor abilities extending the time to take someone down.

Hope I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised. Post about how you and him feel about it after playing it.

I have a feeling he might feel that way too, it's probably going to be a shock to him that's for sure :p

I'll make sure to post some impressions when i've spent a good amount of time with it :D

UltimaPooh said:
I don't think it is. That COULD change when vehicles come into play...

If you go up against someone with Armor Lock you can still easily kill them. Just back away and wait for them to come out. Time the grenade right.

I have gotten some easy kills with just sticking a plasma to whoever is in armor lock. Easy target to stick. :lol Not sure if you got to time it right but they usually die while still in the armor lock mode.

Apath

italianfreak240 said:
I have gotten some easy kills with just sticking a plasma to whoever is in armor lock. Easy target to stick. :lol Not sure if you got to time it right but they usually die while still in the armor lock mode.
Huh?
EazyB said:
Link
Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

I keep reading threads on bungie.net's reach beta forum about people wanting more ammo in clips, I question how many people just spray. It also seems so many people have become reliant on the classic BR that they just can't do well with anything else, it makes me chuckle.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I think I found an actual bug. The host disconnected when I didn't have any shields, and we came back and my shields wouldn't regen until I got shot by a teammate.

Apath

Diablohead said:
I keep reading threads on bungie.net's reach beta forum about people wanting more ammo in clips, I question how many people just spray. It also seems so many people have become reliant on the classic BR that they just can't do well with anything else, it makes me chuckle.
The only time I find myself needing more ammo is for the pistol, and only when I spam it at people to pop their shields (which is user error). Otherwise ammo count seems fine to me.

Oh and about jump heights, since I played halo CE before the reach beta was available, master chief's original jump height wasn't as high as people remember. Halo 2 was when bungie decided to allow super moon jumps, halo CE's jump is about 2/3 the height of that in halo 2 and 3.

Diablohead said:

Im pretty decent at controlling the bloom (when I can see it) - but even then still get beaten by the lucky spammer =(

Either way the Pistol does need more shots, your screwed beyond a 1v1 scenario. Reloading or even switching weapons arguably takes too long, as does activating Jetpack or Sprint. If the pistol had just 2 more shots you could weaken the second enemy enough to finish em off with some AR spray or something. As it is now I run out of ammo halfway through the second guy and really cant do anything.

I think everything is just a bit slow - even if you can react as a player, you really dont have the tools to do so. I understand the balance issues, but its not much fun being restricted by the game so much.

Top Bottom