• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

WJD

I'm really just...disliking this game.

Halo is my favourite game series full stop and I've religiously played CE, 2, 3 and ODST - just something about Reach isn't sitting right with me.

I'll carry on playing in the hope that it grows on me, but I'm only doing that because it's a Halo.

Bah. Massive disappointment.

Walshicus

Too much slayer in Grab Bag. Just shows how dependent Halo matchmaking is on playlists. Can't wait until the people who just want to play fucking SWAT get their own selection.

I'm really just...disliking this game.

Halo is my favourite game series full stop and I've religiously played CE, 2, 3 and ODST - just something about Reach isn't sitting right with me.

I'll carry on playing in the hope that it grows on me, but I'm only doing that because it's a Halo.

Bah. Massive disappointment.
I'm nearly in the same boat. Can't help but think a number of my concerns will be addressed prior to the game's launch, but there's still something that feels off about the fundamentals.

Shake Appeal said:
The pistol doesn't need more shots. If the pistol had more shots, there would almost be no reason to pick up any other gun.
Agree, it's a beast for a gun you start with in most gametypes, if it was a separate pick up then maybe give it 10 ammo but otherwise it's great as it is. I have had times where I wish I had more bullets but each day I am getting better with it, it's still my most used weapon and the one I have most kills with (nearly 400 now)

Zezboob

I am surprised to see so much people triggering the assassination animation. I mean, it's purely eye candy and you just expose to yourself, I personally never use it.

Shake Appeal said:
The netcode is vastly improved.

Signed,
A. European
Do you play at night?

I should try to play earlier in order to play with other europeans. (or maybe I should just play H3 at night to try and compare, it's been a long I didn't play it at these hours)

Apath

Zezboob said:
I am surprised to see so much people triggering the assassination animation. I mean, it's purely eye candy and you just expose to yourself, I personally never use it.
It's kind of like tea bagging, except less "Fuck you!"

Zezboob said:

Do you play at night?

I should try to play earlier in order to play with other europeans. (or maybe I should just play H3 at night to try and compare, it's been a long I didn't play it at these hours)
I play sometimes at night, add me, Prophet Steve.
I also use the animation a lot, but even sometimes when I don't want to. It does happen fast and my right bumper is a little stuck.

CozMick

Banned
To spend £19 on the Reach beta or not to spend £19 on the Reach beta, that is the question.

£19 is for ODST

My 360 is gathering dust as I speak...........

WJD

CozMick said:
To spend £19 on the Reach beta or not to spend £19 on the Reach beta, that is the question.

£19 is for ODST

Buy ODST anyway. That's some good shit.

Zezboob said:

Do you play at night?

I've played all throughout the day. I have to say I am very impressed with the (apparent) lack of lag in the game. Even when the connection bar is yellow-ish I've yet to notice a substantial difference in gameplay.

I recently listened to the last podcast and I'd say what Luke Timmins was saying about their goals in relation to lag has been pretty successful. I can't imagine of all the games I've had there's not been high pings and such but I certainly couldn't tell you of a situation where I noticed someone warping or anything like that.

Very impressed especially since whenever I've been playing Halo 3 recently more often than not there's been some kind of noticable lag.

Shake Appeal said:
The pistol doesn't need more shots. If the pistol had more shots, there would almost be no reason to pick up any other gun.
This.

Btw. i'm the only one, who think the pistol shouldnt be a start weapon?

Zezboob said:
There has been times where I tap the melee button but get an assassination animation, I blame ping not seeing that I let go of the button in advance as i'm fairly certain that I only tapped to melee, not held.

I also use assassinations when I kill from stealth, because I am pro like that.

Shafto

CozMick said:

£19 is for ODST

You can trade ODST in afterward - so it's not really £19 in the end. ODST is also sometimes awesome!

Apath

Hypertrooper said:
This.

Btw. i'm the only one, who think the pistol shouldnt be a start weapon?
I think it's a good compliment to the AR. My only issue is that it can actually be more effective than the AR at close range.
CozMick said:

£19 is for ODST

Technically speaking all of your consoles are gathering dust as you speak. It's not like when you use your console it magically cleans itself.

alisdair

1 Flag on Powerhouse sucks at the moment. The main problem is that respawn times are far too short. They need to be 10 or 12 seconds at least. That alone might fix it.

Apart from that, it's still too difficult to attack the flag spot. You will almost always see one or two players on the team sitting on the flag, ready to nade the three ways into the room. If the geometry of the map doesn't change, the rockets should be moved to the attacker side of the map to give them a better chance to clear the room.

Apath

alisdair said:
1 Flag on Powerhouse sucks at the moment. The main problem is that respawn times are far too short. They need to be 10 or 12 seconds at least. That alone might fix it.

Apart from that, it's still too difficult to attack the flag spot. You will almost always see one or two players on the team sitting on the flag, ready to nade the three ways into the room. If the geometry of the map doesn't change, the rockets should be moved to the attacker side of the map to give them a better chance to clear the room.
Do you think allowing people to jet pack in through the room would stop that?

KevinRo

Also, because the plasma repeater is just useless.

BUNGIE PLEASE BRING BLACK THE SLOW.

And when I mean slow, I mean let the plasma repeater slow your movements like plasma weapons did in Halo:CE. It would make the Hunter class usefull. kthnx.

CozMick

Banned
Kenak said:
Technically speaking all of your consoles are gathering dust as you speak. It's not like when you use your console it magically cleans itself.

Smart Arse :lol

It was meant to mean I hadn't bought a 360 game for a while.

Kenak said:
I think it's a good compliment to the AR. My only issue is that it can actually be more effective than the AR at close range.

A good Pistol user should be able to beat a average AR user. If certain weapons ALWAYS beat eachother at certain ranges the game would feel like nothing more than Reach, Paper, Scissors. :lol

I wonder if theres a custom game option to set shots per clip on certain weapons, that seems crazy but it would probably please a lot of people. Right now 2v1 with everyone using pistols the guy on his own is screwed simply due to a lack of shots. As I said before everything else is just too slow to do. If a player is good enough to do so, he should be able to kill 2 opponents. Currently you can barely get the second guy to half shields before your left defencless. If he had just 2 more shots he could get rid of the guys shields and switch to the AR and finish him.

Yeah I know, fighting 2 guys at once isnt smart, but its not always possible to escape, plus killing 2 people is just fun. :D

Why is this game so much "harder" then Halo 3? its so tough! dont get me wrong, im loving the game and my k/d is fairly on par with Halo 3 when my skill level was lower. Theres just something about it, its far more stressful then reach.

At this point i cant wait for Alan Wake to come out just to have some releif from the stressfull multiplayer of reach.

Intense game is intense.

KevinRo said:
Also, because the plasma repeater is just useless.

BUNGIE PLEASE BRING BLACK THE SLOW.

And when I mean slow, I mean let the plasma repeater slow your movements like plasma weapons did in Halo:CE. It would make the Hunter class usefull. kthnx.
Halo CE you could abuse the stun so much, aka straf around the player and hit from behind due to them being stunned and unable to move or turn fast, so good :D

Apath

bobs99 ... said:
A good Pistol user should be able to beat a average AR user. If certain weapons ALWAYS beat eachother at certain ranges the game would feel like nothing more than Reach, Paper, Scissors. :lol
What's the point of the AR if a pistol trumps it at close range, mid range, and long range? And Halo is more like Chess than anything, IMO.

Kenak said:
What's the point of the AR if a pistol trumps it at close range, mid range, and long range? And Halo is more like Chess than anything, IMO.

It can make a good secondary weapon when your Pistold runs out of ammo during battle LOL

If they made the AR more effective at close range then they would have to make the Pistol have a slightly longer range and the DMR longer still.... IMO that would be good.

dilatedmuscle said:
It can make a good secondary weapon when your Pistold runs out of ammo during battle LOL

If they made the AR more effective at close range then they would have to make the Pistol have a slightly longer range and the DMR longer still.... IMO that would be good.
There has been times where I run out of pistol bullets but the enemy is still attacking me, swapping to the AR for the finish is faster then reloading the pistol :) that's about the only time I use it.

I personally think the AR is good, it's a basic spawn weapon which can do it's job and everyone has one, plus get two people to shoot one target and that double firepower will drop them like flies, very similar to two people shooting one person in gears, the AR becomes a godly weapon then.

I'll say it: the assault rifle, pistol, DMR, and needle rifle are all perfect. If Bungie touch a thing about any of these weapons, I will be shocked. Pretty sure the plasma repeater is decent too, but I never touch it, unless it's to swap it in for my starting AR out of curiosity.

CozMick said:

£19 is for ODST

what a weird statement...

if you have invested in a 360 then £19 to get some entertainment value from your investment is not a lot...

Kenak said:

I honestly havent used the Reach AR much, so im not speaking from experience but at close range, while the Pistol user has to wait for his bloom the AR user has the time advantage. If the pistol user is good he should absolutely win that battle though, its harder for him to do so than it is for the AR user. In general though, the AR seems more like a support weapon.

Theres a fine line between making Reach feel like Chess and making it feel like Rock Paper Scissors. In Chess the better player can win in most situations through smart use of whatever peices they have available to them. In Rock Paper Scissors certain objects beat others no matter what.

Willeth

CozMick said:

£19 is for ODST

It's £15 here.

It's the same price from the site that shall not be named with all the scary credit card stories, but if you order from them before 5pm today you're guaranteed it on Monday. I've not had any experience with SimplyGames so I don't know if they can offer the same.

Shake Appeal said:
I'll say it: the assault rifle, pistol, DMR, and needle rifle are all perfect. If Bungie touch a thing about any of these weapons, I will be shocked. Pretty sure the plasma repeater is decent too, but I never touch it, unless it's to swap it in for my starting AR out of curiosity.

I do have a slight problem with the DMR and Needle Rifle, i would like them to be a little bit stronger when shooting the body.... They are perfect when you get a headshot but when you miss the head and hit the body it takes FOREVER to kill someone. In some ways its great because they are skill oriented but they are not user friendly for people who are not very good.

Halo 3 was easy to use, hard to master.... Reach is just plain Hard lol

Willeth

dilatedmuscle said:
I do have a slight problem with the DMR and Needle Rifle, i would like them to be a little bit stronger when shooting the body.... They are perfect when you get a headshot but when you miss the head and hit the body it takes FOREVER to kill someone. In some ways its great because they are skill oriented but they are not user friendly for people who are not very good.

Halo 3 was easy to use, hard to master.... Reach is just plain Hard lol
The needle rifle kills with two needles on an unshielded body or one to an unshielded head, and does exactly the same damage to shields no matter where you hit them. It's fine.

I haven't used the DMR enough to say, but I imagine it works in a similar way, but maybe requires more body shots to kill without shields.

Willeth said:
The needle rifle kills with two needles on an unshielded body or one to an unshielded head, and does exactly the same damage to shields no matter where you hit them. It's fine.

I haven't used the DMR enough to say, but I imagine it works in a similar way, but maybe requires more body shots to kill without shields.

I think its two needles on an unshielded body, after you have put other needles into it so it super combines... but theres a huge chance that im wrong lol. The DMR definitely isnt 2 shots on the body to kill, 3 minimum...... but theres a huge chance that im wrong lol

Willeth

That's basically what I just said :lol

I'm fairly sure that I've suprcombined someone with two needles from the rifle onto someone with lowered shields that were dropped by someone else's gunfire, but I'm not super sure. The main difference is that without supercombining, the needles do very little damage.

Natakuu

Banned
Does anyone else feel the DMR's use is limited a bit too much in its current state? On the two maps we have so far there just don't seem to be many situations that it works well in, especially with everyone capable of sprinting all over the place and getting up close to pistol you. Maybe my timing on it is still a bit off but it would be helpful if the bloom was reduced ever so slightly to give them a bit more of a chance.

Oh, and does anyone have a video of good timing to use on the DMR? I saw Tashi post one for the pistol but I haven't been keeping up with the thread enough to know if one for the DMR ever showed up.

Willeth said:
That's basically what I just said :lol

I'm fairly sure that I've suprcombined someone with two needles from the rifle onto someone with lowered shields that were dropped by someone else's gunfire, but I'm not super sure. The main difference is that without supercombining, the needles do very little damage.

Yeah, sometimes a buddy puts in like 3 random shots into an enemy and then i use the Needle Rifle and it seems to take a bit too long to kill someone because i still have to super combine for it to be effective.... unless i get a headshot ofcourse.

The timing is different at different ranges. With any of the single shot weapons, the right timing is the timing that keeps the bloom manageable in relation to the size of your target. So up close you can spam the pistol because the bloom still covers the body, but at range you need to keep it tight.

Unrelated, but I think I may already have played my last game of Halo 3. I can't imagine going back to it after this. I think I'm better off clearing some singleplayer backlog and sticking with Left 4 Dead 2 until September. Halo 3 is going to seem primitive in comparison, and will fuck up whatever I'm managing to learn of Reach's systems.

Willeth

I went back to CoD for a moment today and the first thing I did was threw a flashbang in the middle of my team instead of sprinting. :lol

I'm not sure there's going to be space for more than one shooter at a time for me, but honestly by the time Reach comes out I'll be pretty much done with CoD. I'm already winding down on it.

Magni

SailorDaravon said:
Long and boring Impressions, good and bad.

Menus and Pre/Postgame:
-Aside from a few times where it wasn't working, Active Roster is fantastic. Only improvement I could think of is that maybe it should give the Lobby Leader some sort of little pop-up in the corner (probably in Post Game) that someone has joined, or more importantly tried to join and failed. We did have a couple times where it failed, and unless you're in a Party Chat you probably wouldn't even realize someone was trying to join your group if it failed.
-For some reason (and it's probably me being stupid) I have difficulty navigating/hitting wrong things in the Saved Films area. Also maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see an option to rename a video?
-In the Post Game Carnage as far as I can tell there's no way to see how many cR you earned that match once you've gone past that screen into the actual game stats. For that matter, I shouldn't need to hit A 3 or 4 times to see every little thing that game that gave me cR; give me one Post Game Carnage screen. I also agree that First Strike really shouldn't be in the top medals on the Carnage screen.
-Unless I'm missing it there is no way to see your Commendations anywhere in the game, only on Bungie.net.
-Very minor, but it would be nice to see how many cR you have to go to the next ranking; you do get the % at the end of a match, so this is isn't much of an issue but at the same time I don't see why they wouldn't either.
-Game needs a sound effect when you get to the vote screen. It seems ridiculous that we're bitching about getting games too fast, but I feel like I have no time to even look at post game stats most of the time, much less look at buying some armor pieces.
Agree with all of the above, there definitively needs to be a sound effect at the start of the vote. Votes shouldn't be given out by default, if you're not there, you're not voting.
-The fact that there IS a vote screen is freaking awesome, well done.
-The fact that you can now save games without having to back out and go to theater is fantastic, although I didn't know you could even do it until urk and Shake told me how, not very clear there.

UI/HUD in game:
-Everything looks super sleek and nice, but a lot of that seems to come at the cost of practical value. I think some of it might be related to the FOV change (which I like), but for example I never look at my health or shields.
-I practically never look at my ammo, but that doesn't seem to really be a concern in the beta, so the change in the ammo display in the top right doesn't bother me like it does some people.
-The location callouts in the bottom left are also nice, but I would also suggest that maybe those stay on screen when you die, so if you die somewhere and blank on the name you can see where you were.
This would be quite handy, I requested it as well a couple hundred posts back but it could use repeating =)
-It's not as bad now, but I still have trouble at times telling where I'm getting shot from.
Feedback is much poorer than it was in previous games, this should be changed for the final game.
-I've tried and can't articulate it well, but the HUD indicators suck for objective games, in particular Stockpile. I still get confused at times even after playing a bunch, so I'm on the Red team but I'm taking the flag to a Blue indicator?. I can't quite put my finger on why I can't deal with it or how to specifically fix it.
Objective indicators should be the color of the team they're related to. Red Stockpile zone should be at the Red arrow, regardless of which team you're on. In Customs, if you decide to play Green vs Gold, the indicators should be Green and Gold.
-I think overall they placed a bit TOO much emphasis on pushing everything to be small and on the edges of the screen.
-MOTION BLUR/GHOSTING. HOLY SHIT TONE IT DOWN. I found out what's been giving me headaches the last 3 days (seriously, I don't know if I'm going to even play tomorrow).

General Gameplay:
-Honestly? The issues with Melee, Shields, Grenades, Reticule/DMR/Magnum that people are complaining about don't really bother me at all. I would probably agree that the grenades maybe need slight nerfing, or to not drop off corpses, but aside from that none of those issues really bother me.
No issues will Melee, Grenades need to be nerfed in some way, this has been repeated enough, an I still think the DMR and Pistol should be 4SKs. Hopefully we'll be able to modify individual weapon stats in Forge 2.0
-I think all of the Armor Abilities are all fine at the moment. Sprint's great and probably my favorite. Armor Lock is a little annoying with how frequently people can do the short bursts to fuck with you, but eh. There might be issues once we get to fuck around with vehicles and possibly breaking that equation, but as of now I think it's fine. Jetpack is fine for me. Only change I would maybe suggest is to down the amount of time Camo lasts a bit. If you just have it on it seems to last a very long time, possibly too long.
-I never even bother with getting health packs. Provided I even take a hit on my health and don't die, it has never once crossed my mind to go get a health pack. I have no understanding at all for why they did this.
Play a bit more, you'll get used to it. Personally I'm glad they brought back visible Health, Health Packs, and Fall Damage.
-You realllllly need to somehow not be able to Elite roll with the Hammer, that is pretty broke-ass at the moment.
-I agree with the complaints that it seems like I never have enough time to change loadouts on spawns. I don't know if they just need to tack on a second or two or what. I can understand why they wouldn't want to let you NOT spawn until you chose, to avoid griefing etc. Also I swear on several occasions I've changed my Loadout, but then I spawn with a different one or it starts defaulting to a different one for some reason.
-In-game sound is all over the place in terms of quality, distance, and what the fuck factor. Probably a Beta issue though, can't imagine any of that stuff is final yet.

Weapons:
-I agree that most weapons and melee really need improved feedback. I'm with Ghaleon, half the time I have to look at the text to see if I killed the guy before someone else killed me, or it was mutual death, or a grenade, or who the hell knows.
-Focus Rifle - Feels fine to me, maybe could use a reduced clip though, thing seems to last forever.
-Plasma Launcher - NERF THIS SHIT. Fuck everything else everybody's bitching about, this thing is crazy broken. Has a ridiculous amount of ammo, and it gets a lock-on and fires a grenade absurdly fast across a freaking map.
-Plasma Repeater - No one ever, ever uses this. It's better than the Plasma Rifle, I'll give you that much.
-Needler - As much as I love this and want to say it's broken so they'll make it stronger, I think it's about fine as-is. It takes more Needles if someone has shields yes, but the homing seems a bit better; I've gotten a bunch of kills with it I know I never would have in Halo 3.
-Grenade Launcher: I've gotten to use this like twice, no real impressions beyond the fact that it definietely takes skill to use, but I've gotten a few sweet bank shots with it.
-All the other weapons feel pretty much fine to me including the apparently hated DMR and Pistol, although it was definietely a learning curve on those two. Once I get the hang of them though I think they're fine. Also not a big fan of the Shotgun right now, it seems a bit inconsistent but it's hard to tell yet. Also not sure how I feel about being able to melee block sword lunges.

Maps/Gametypes:
-Swordbase is okay for most variants, but it is dog shit on 1-Flag CTF, which seems to be a large Grab Bag default at the moment. This is made worse by the fact that half of the time people are still looking at post game stats and/or buying armor, so it never gets voted off half the time, even when people would have.
-Powerhouse is a good map. The area at the south (?) end of the map where the Shotgun is never ever gets used though unless there's an objective there.
-3 Plots is awesome, but goes super fast (matchmaking churn my ass urk :p)
-Team Headhunter seems like it will be awesome. FFA Headhunter that is in the Beta is broken and sucks. People just wait by terrorites to kill dudes. I've played it 3 times, 2 times ended with Skullmanjaros. We played with a guy who was telling us that he has a clip in his file share where he spawned near a territory by a guy who was weak and had 12 skulls. Within 5 seconds of spawning he killed the guy, took all the skulls and ended the game. Yeah, loads of fun.
-Stockpile is pretty awesome.
-I like Covy Slayer, but it needs some variations on Loadouts, it's a bit stale with the two current ones (and one of which no one ever ever uses).
-I only played two matches of Juggernaut, and completely owned on both of them and never got to be the Juggernaut, so I can't really comment on this one.
-SWAT is awesome, like it way more than in Halo 2/3, especially since you can headshot people from the back now since it's not everyone play as motherfucking Elites.
-Sudden Death in 1 Flag CTF either needs to be longer, or needs to be considerably longer/not end if someone is holding the flag (but then immediately end if dropped).

Bnet:
-On the main stats page, the Spartan (next to your Commendations) should really show your own Spartan :(
Look at the filename (placeholder.jpg). Hopefully he'll be holding our most used TOD in the final release.
-The "bar" type breakdown on your win/loss and kill/death streaks is fantastic, love it.
-Also really really love the k/d by hour, as well as the weapon kills/death stats, super awesome.

Overall the Beta is still so limited right now it's hard to make any overall judgements. It may seem like a lot of complaints up there, but I'm trying ot remember the little things that bugged me, I could go on forever about the little things I like. I am enjoying it more and more, but that's because I'm playing it less and less like a Halo game; it's a change of expectations. As someone who plays a bunch of FPS games it not feeling like a Halo game (which I 100% agree I don't think it does) doesn't bother me, but for people where Halo is pretty much their primary game, I could see this being a huge bummer. As of now though I'm really enjoying it, probably more than Halo 3, but I've had to change around my expectations and what I thought it was going to be like (like Halo). I honestly don't know that after the Beta is over that I can back to Halo 2, MW2 or any other online FPS; I may just focus on trying to knock out some of my single-player backlog.

As an aside, are we getting Challenges during the Beta? For some reason I thought I heard/read that we were going to get Weekly Challenges but not Daily, or vice versa.

Domino Theory said:
Come Monday, your wishes will sort of be granted. Arena has Slayer Pro in it (DMR Loadout only, Sprint only, no radar) and I'm voting for it every. motherfucking. time.

BUt I think Bungie should consider not putting Armor Lock and Jetpacks in regular Team Slayer for Arena. Just have Sprint and Camo.

YES. YES. YES.

ManCannon

dilatedmuscle said:
Why is this game so much "harder" then Halo 3? its so tough! dont get me wrong, im loving the game and my k/d is fairly on par with Halo 3 when my skill level was lower. Theres just something about it, its far more stressful then reach.

At this point i cant wait for Alan Wake to come out just to have some releif from the stressfull multiplayer of reach.

Intense game is intense.

One reason it feels harder is the less prominent auto aim/magnetism

Hugbot

Since I'm not in F&F and we only ever have one Halo thread going at a time, I figured I'd use this one to vent - whoever made the decision to have audiologs be tied to the playthrough and not to your profile is a total dick. Spent two hours with a friend last night getting 29/30, went to the menu to load up Data Hive, clicked through "this will delete progress" message since what kind of idiot would put the last audiolog on another map and then delete the other 29 when you loaded the map. Needless to say our co-op progress is now at 0/30 and we wasted two hours. It is a stunningly bad decision, and I can't imagine the reason behind it, beyond someone thinks that hunting for them is the most enjoyable part of the game and should be experienced as many times as possible.

In other news, I'm nearing completion on this final paper for my class and will hopefully be done today, so come Monday I can spend disgusting amounts of time in the beta.

Top Bottom