• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomb attack at wine bar in Ansbach, Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumeira

Banned
Waking up to read that the only dead one is the fucker with the bomb is a good thing to wake up to. Hope everybody else will recover, both physically and mentally.
But man, what a week for Bavaria....
I heard on BBC this morning the attacker was denied Asylum last year. Not sure what the process is when this happens for the refugees, but unfortunately I think German officials need to be a little harsher with failed Asylum seekers, thier denial should be detention then removal asap.

Hypnotoad

I heard on BBC this morning the attacker was denied Asylum last year. Not sure what the process is when this happens for the refugees, but unfortunately I think German officials need to be a little harsher with failed Asylum seekers, thier denial should be detention then removal asap.

Never going to happen. Right now people are being deported who have been illegally in Germany for more than 20 years (like this case: http://www.derwesten.de/staedte/ess...hren-nach-serbien-abgeschoben-id12032057.html) and even that is being fought against by various activists and local Green party chapters. Syrians, Iraqis, Afghans and Africans basically get a carte blance to stay, even if they are denied asylum.

Kurtofan

No yet. Right now, the media is still looking at the various different reasons that led to the attacks of the last weeks. Attacks against Merkel come from the usual directions (AfD, right-wing blogs/sites etc.).

I'm glad that we didn't go into panic mode.

you've been lucky enough not to have a major attack yet...

Joni

The United Nations Refugee Convention forbids the expulsion of asylum seekers to warzones.

I have a friend who is a language teacher and who works with refugees. And he told me exactly the same. Bureaucracy hell, severe under-funding, cancelled language courses and so on.

Our integration efforts are not nearly where they need to be - unnecessarily so; which is the most frustrating part. It's all due to bad management and politics.
And worst of all it's the refugees - the helpless - who will once again get blamed.

How is the German media and people reacting to this politically? I know in France there's been major backlash towards the government, is it becoming the same in Germany?

The situation is not really comparable.
France faced ISIS coordinated terrorism, Germany didn't.

In Germany we had mainly normal crimes commited by refugees and a school shooting type of incident commited by a german-iranian(born in germany, lived in germany his whole life, I honestly think stating that he is german-iranian is kinda misleading, its like saying Obama is american-kenyan) who was bullied at school. This had nothing to do with refugees or even religion.
Its unfortunate that many people don't really make distinctions betweens these incidents anymore.

If you look at ElTorros Chart:
These are the latest polls:

jtnzQlt.jpg

Every column shows the latest results from different institutes. The grey column on the right shows the results of the last federal election. CDU/CSU is Merkel's party. The AfD is Germany's anti-immigration/anti-refugee/anti-EU party.

You see that 85% of people support parties with pro refugee policies. Doesn't mean that they are all pro-refugee, but at least they still support pro-refugee parties.
ABout 10% of peolpe support the anti-immigration party, AFD.
And about 5% are filed under others, many of them probably support small even more extreme anti-immigration parties(like the NPD, the neonazi party) aswell, but because of the 5% hurdle they are wasting their voice.

The AFD had polled higher before, but they said a lot of pretty dumb stuff recently and had a small anti-semitism scandal, so people kinda start seeing that they are not an option.

There was also an Iranian-German who stabbed down two passers-by down in a pedestrian zone in the German town of Göttingen:

http://www.goettinger-tageblatt.de/Goettingen/Uebersicht/Blutige-Messerstecherei-in-Goettinger-Innenstadt?site=desktop
(link only in German)

It completely flew under the radar, probably because of the other bigger attacks.

Of course it flew under your radar, the article is from 2011.
5 years ago.

Tyaren

Also I have never seen that merkel has a dissaproval rating of 60+

64% of Germans against reelection of Merkel to chancellor. In Eastern Germany (Thuringia and Saxony) even as high as 79%, INSA Institute in May:

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/inland/mehrheit-der-deutschen-gegen-weitere-angela-merkel-amtszeit-14225181.html

Of course it flew under your radar, the article is from 2011.
5 years ago.

Oops, got this from another forumer and didn't check the date.

Neo Member
3. Millions of fighting aged men are and have been fleeing Syria instead of fighting for their country. A number this high is crazy considering that ISIS is only around 20,000 men strong, meaning there isn't much left to fight them outside of physical NATO interventions, and not just more drone strikes.

You do realise that not everybody in Syria has something to fight for right? This civil war started because the government repressed non-violent protests, attacked millions of their own people and rebel groups fought back. Then ISIS took hold in the east of the country because of the vacuum of power created by this.

There are millions of innocent Syrians with no cause to fight for. They aren't going to support an oppressive government that killed hundreds of thousands with barrel bombs and chemical weapons. They aren't going to support rebel groups that are mostly tribal and jihad affiliated. And they certainly aren't going to support ISIS. There is no country for them to fight for any more.

So you jumping in there with utter ignorance and bullshit and accusing people of cowardice when you would do the exact same thing is utterly disgusting.

BKSmash

Another asylum seeker? What a surprise! You can't feel safe outside of your house anymore, Europe what the hell have you done..

Well Merkel didnt make our country safer with her shit :( So many attacks in one week.

I'm curious, what does the Munich attack have to do with Merkel or immigration? German guy with a history of mental ilness, bullied in school and his mother was german. You want to ban relationships between foreigners and germans from now on?

Kurtofan

I'm curious, what does the Munich attack have to do with Merkel or immigration? German guy with a history of mental ilness, bullied in school and his mother was german. You want to ban relationships between foreigners and germans from now on?

Alright only three out of four attacks were terror related, feeling safer already.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Alright only three out of four attacks were terror related, feeling safer already.

Only 1 out of 4 attacks were terror related as far as we have info until now, the axe attack in the train.

Edit: this one could be too, but nothing confirmed yet.

CTLance

A female eye witness described him as a positively dashing, well dressed person that talked to thin air (pretending to talk with someone on his wired headset, which apparently wasn't plugged into his smartphone). She sat across from him for a while, mere minutes before he blew himself up.

Still. "Ganz ganz hübscher Mann, sehr gut gekleidet". So weird. Heh.

Pomerlaw

No, it's in our nature to kill each other.

It will end when we cease to exist.

I disagree. If it was really in our nature, everybody would be dead, and humanity would not exist anymore.

There are some sick individuals and some situations that brings the worse in us. You can't define humanity only by these.

What's this about a new explosion at some concert?
I think you mean the one this thread is about? Syrian refugee who was about to be deported to Bulgaria tried to get into an open-air festival, but was denied access because he had no ticket. Half an hour later he blew himself up nearby, killing himself and injuring 15 others, among which 4 are seriously injured.

YoungFa

I think you mean the one this thread is about? Syrian refugee who was about to be deported to Bulgaria tried to get into an open-air festival, but was denied access because he had no ticket. Half an hour later he blew himself up nearby, killing himself and injuring 15 others, among which 4 are seriously injured.
Kind of over reaction just because he didnt get in.

Dingens

I guesses I worded it wrong. I meant in the recent years. It really has not been like this for a while. It's getting really scary. Nice, axe attack, München, machete attack, now this one, others posted a stabbing or two here and most of them by Syrian refugees. Something is really wrong here. [...]

Another asylum seeker? What a surprise! You can't feel safe outside of your house anymore, Europe what the hell have you done..

Terrorism is only as effective as society allows it to be... how many people died this year in germany due to terrorism? like <20?
here are some other nice statistics:
from january 2016 till may 1176 died in car accidents (2014: 3723)
in 2014 11582 people died because they fell to the ground and 29 women died in during labour... so technically having a baby is more dangerous than terrorism atm.
so why exactly are you guys afraid of one of the most unlikely deaths in the whole country?

https://www.destatis.de/DE/ZahlenFa...ndheit/Todesursachen/Tabellen/EckdatenTU.html

[...]

Oops, got this from another forumer and didn't check the date.

usually it's called pushing an agenda ;)
(and that's what irrational fear does to people...)

Ansbach bomber had video on phone pledging allegiance to so-called Islamic State, officials say

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/757572524301484032

and what exactly does that change? I can pledge allegiance to the greens party and go kill some people. the end result is the same... although the media coverage is probably more bizarre.

Something drastic needs to be done. I dont want to live in a europe where this is normal.

something drastic? like building camps with nice showers? is that drastic enough?
what we need are INTELLIGENT solutions, not emotion filled drastic ones.

Airola

Terrorism is only as effective as society allows it to be... how many people died this year in germany due to terrorism? like <20?
in 2014 11582 people died because they fell to the ground and 29 women died in during labour... so technically having a baby is more dangerous than terrorism atm.
so why exactly are you guys afraid of one of the most unlikely deaths in the whole country?

Those are called accidents for a reason.

If I'm driving, I'm not afraid of the thought of an accident to happen. If I'm afraid of something, it's a possibility of some suicidal person deciding to end his life by intentionally crashing others.

It's a different thing to slip on a banana that has been dropped by accident than to slip on a banana someone intentionally threw on your feet.

Accidents happen. It's unfortunate but it's something that will happen if it happens. No-one had any malicious input into the accident. But when someone takes other people's fates into his own hands, it's a completely different thing.

It's different to worry about someone's car slipping on ice and crashing than it is to worry about a drunk driver who by his own stupid actions has made things more dangerous to others.

It's a different thing to get killed by some human mistake than by some asshole's bad temper and insane ideologies. It's a different thing to get killed by a freak accident than by someone's hate.

It's not that weird of a thing to have people get scared by a terrorist threat or some person have an amok run more than a possible accident on the road. People in general are more afraid of scenarios where they might have to endure a terrifying game of hide and seek until death than they are afraid of scenarios where death most likely happens more suddenly. That's kinda the reason why people are more scared of flying on a plane than they are driving a car. It's not the actual death that worries the most, but it's the thought of what happens before the plane finally crashes.

The basic car accident doesn't have you running for your life. A maniac with a weapon probably will.

Also, you most often don't have to worry about getting killed in a car crash while relaxing at a local Macdonalds or enjoying a concert. When a possibility of a terrorist attack or a psycho amok run is introduced to be able to happen in a place like that, of course it gets some people worried. It's not that they are now afraid of every concert hall or Macdonalds, but they are afraid that a similar usually peaceful place like that can be a potential site for a mass murder.

While worrying doesn't necessarily help anything, downplaying people's worries don't help anything either.

Dingens

sorry but this only makes sense if we assume that terrorist attacks take the form of school shoot outs... as in one or more guys with guns. Granted, that has happened in the past (like in Paris), but still I'd argue that that's rather the minority. A bomb of whatever kind is way more likely. There is a reason why the suicide bomber stereotype came into existence after all.

And in that case, it makes no difference if you get hit by a bomb or by a car. You wont see it coming and the outcome is the same. You could even argue that what happened in Nice could've happened in the form of an accident as well. just imagine if a truck driver had a stroke while driving, dies but the truck doesn't stop because his foot is still on the gas pedal. So what would be the difference between this hypothetical scenario and the real attack in terms of fear? I'm pretty sure it would be the same. Although the media would probably sell the terrorist attack as something really frightening while the accident is just awfully tragic.
So intention doesn't matter. If you're dead you're dead (and I'm pretty sure you wont care than if the person who did it feels sorry about it...)

What matters however is to keep a healthy perspective on things and realize that, no matter how scary a real attack might be, it's still more likely to be in car accident than actually witnessing (and being affected by) a real terrorist attack. Just look at the number for car accidents in germany.
1176 people died in 5 months. Let's say a single accident involves 4 dead people (although I'd reckon that 1-2 is way more common and likely), this means that Germany had around 300 deadly accidents. compared to 2 (?) terrorist attacks, which, let's be honest weren't even well executed...

in that sense, I'm sorry but I don't see why anybody should be afraid of something like this. Especially when you compare it to countries where the terrorist threat is actually real like the middle east or Israel. Around 300 civilians died in the last 2 weeks alone due to terrorist attacks over there. Looking at that number while claiming that Europe isn't a save place anymore and people should be afraid for their lives is somewhat offensive

You should try this reasoning in the next police shooting topic, it will go down very well I predict.

Also you should check the age distribution of the 11582 people who died due to a fall and see how many of them were between 18 and 40. Almost all these deaths are very old people who die from a fall a younger person would not have any problems with. It's basically a natural death and then once you go there any atrocity can be made insignificant by comparing it to the 100% death rate of humans over time. 'Yes, I killed 250 people but they all would have died anyway, what's the big deal ?'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom