• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomb attack at wine bar in Ansbach, Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyaren

"At least one person has been killed following an explosion at a restaurant in Ansbach, near Nuremberg, and the local mayor has confirmed it is a suspected bomb attack.

The horrifying incident occurred at 10.30pm local time at a wine bar called Eugen's Weinstube in the city’s old town.

Heavily armed police are at the scene and officers have cordoned off the area around the restaurant..."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/692793/Ansbach-explosion-Nuremberg-Germany-Blast

Edit: It was the bomber, a 27-old Syrian refugee, that died in the attack, 12 were injured, 3 severely.

Germany isn't getting any break right now... :(

Fury451

Banned
Was this the event that was just in a thread and thought to be a gas explosion?

Edit: Article finally loaded. Yep.

Awful. Can't believe what's happening to Germany this week.

Tagyhag

It'd be great if the only casualty was the bomber. Hope the injured make it out ok.

Will this ever end?

In the history of humankind, has there been a single year when someone hasn't been murdered?

No, it's in our nature to kill each other.

It will end when we cease to exist.

Madness

Same thing that is going on in France and other European countries

Same thing going on in Kenya and Nigeria and Turkey and Syria and Iraq and Afghanistan and India and Bangladesh and a ton of other countries. Terrorism isn't just happening to Western countries.

Drencrom

Same thing going on in Kenya and Nigeria and Turkey and Syria and Iraq and Afghanistan and India and Bangladesh and a ton of other countries. Terrorism isn't just happening to Western countries.

Right, never said wasn't the case either. Just the fact that it's happening in other European countries too besides Germany.

This shit is at an all time high now in Europe really. I really don't remember it being this damn bad before in terms of how many of this stuff happens in such short notice.

chadskin

AP reporting the likely 'attacker' died in the explosion:
AP: BREAKING: Police say man, a likely attacker, dies in explosion in southern Germany; 10 others injured.

With regards to the headline, 'bomb attack' is really stretching it (which I'm not surprised about, it's the Express after all).

The mayor said it was an 'explosive charge' which covers a variety of explosive devices, including a self-built firecracker. We'll see what this was about ultimately.

Shit, so the story in the thread from earlier was a legit attack? This summer has been fucking nuts so far.

Yup go figure. I believe it was refereed to as an unremarkable event on being locked..

Lots of things happening overseas right now. Unremarkable isn't what I would call any of it.

Hopefully things calm down to a more peaceful level.

Tarkus

With regards to the headline, 'bomb attack' is really stretching it (which I'm not surprised about, it's the Express after all).

The mayor said it was an 'explosive charge' which covers a variety of explosive devices, including a self-built firecracker. We'll see what this was about ultimately.
"Explosive charge" is a bomb in my book

sflufan

Banned
This shit is at an all time high now in Europe really. I really don't remember it being this damn bad before in terms of how many of this stuff happens in such short notice.

No, it really isn't. I suggest you learn about terrorist activity in Europe in the 1970s and 1980s.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

these guys aren't putting on a fireworks display.

CTLance

Given there was a music festival happening nearby then it's remarkable so few people were injured.
Yeah, that's the one ray of light in all of this. Two thousand or so people. Imagine what kind of a target that would have been. Even if the explosion had still only caused the same casualties, the resulting panic would probably have caused far more grief.

Press conference in an hour at 03:00 it seems.

Hope all the injured can recover and the only one killed will be the attacker who did this.

It could have been a suicide bomber with (luckily) a bomb only powerful enough to kill him and only injure others.

This is terrible. I am shocked the UK hasn't been hit by something yet.

gerg

It could have been a suicide bomber with (luckily) a bomb only powerful enough to kill him and only injure others.

This is terrible. I am shocked the UK hasn't been hit by something yet.

The UK is harder to enter thanks to its geographical position and its exclusion from the Schengen area.

Plus London did have the July 7 bombings just over a decade ago, and then in 2007 there was an attempt to ram an explosive car into Glasgow International Airport. Since then we've had the murder of Lee Rigby, and Wikipedia reminded me of the attacks at Leytonstone Tube station late last year. But perhaps it would be fair to say that things have been relatively quiet, especially recently.

The UK is harder to enter thanks to its geographical position and its exclusion from the Schengen area.

Plus London did have the July 7 bombings just over a decade ago, and then in 2007 there was an attempt to ram an explosive car into Glasgow International Airport. Since then we've had the murder of Lee Rigby, and Wikipedia reminded me of the attacks at Leytonstone Tube station late last year. But perhaps it would be fair to say that things have been relatively quiet, especially recently.

I know all of that, but anyone could hire a truck like in Nice. I'm just surprised nothing bigger has occurred considering everything else that has happened.

There was that attempted kidnapping of that soldier the other day, dread to think what we would be seeing on the news if that was successful.

Zukuu

Banned
Wtf, within ONE WEEK we had an axe ramage, a machete spree, a shooting and a suicide bomber? WTF.

edit: It's important to note that only the bomber died.
The person killed is the suicide bomber and the explosive device he was carrying went off accidentally, according to police.

Tyaren

Wtf, within ONE WEEK we had an axe ramage, a machete spree, a shooting and a suicide bomber? WTF.

edit: It's important to note that only the bomber died.

There was also an Iranian-German who stabbed down two passers-by down in a pedestrian zone in the German town of Göttingen:

http://www.goettinger-tageblatt.de/Goettingen/Uebersicht/Blutige-Messerstecherei-in-Goettinger-Innenstadt?site=desktop
(link only in German)

It completely flew under the radar, probably because of the other bigger attacks.

Edit: Flew under the radar because it is 5 years old. My bad. >__<

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Given there was a music festival happening nearby then it's remarkable so few people were injured.
It seems the police have confirmed it was a suicide bomber and the bomb detonated prematurely. im guessing the music festival was the intended target.

electrotonus

Neo Member
There was also an Iranian-German who stabbed down two passers-by down in a pedestrian zone in the German town of Göttingen:

http://www.goettinger-tageblatt.de/Goettingen/Uebersicht/Blutige-Messerstecherei-in-Goettinger-Innenstadt?site=desktop
(link only in German)

It completely flew under the radar, probably because of the other bigger attacks.

There has been another knife attack in a Metronom train near Bremen which didn't receive much coverage except for regional media. Fortunately nobody got physically hurt.

http://www.radiobremen.de/nachrichten/gesellschaft/metronom-messerangriff100.html

Also the knifing attack in Göttingen was the second this week. Earlier this week already a man had been stabbed to death.

http://www.welt.de/regionales/niede...ch-Messerattacke-in-Goettingen-gestorben.html

Since most of these attacks in which not more than one person dies usually don't reach national coverage, this is probably only the tip of the iceberg.

Of course, one has to put it in perspective though. Especially knife attacks are nothing unheard of. Nonetheless a troubling trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom