• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomb attack at wine bar in Ansbach, Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerg

I know all of that, but anyone could hire a truck like in Nice. I'm just surprised nothing bigger has occurred considering everything else that has happened.

Perhaps because of the attack in 2005 the British government has made better headway with preventing radicalisation (although "Prevent" has, I believe, been greatly criticised). Otherwise it might be an issue of demographics and how differing proportions of Muslims and non-Muslims in different countries might affect relationships between the two groups, but I don't know how France or Germany would compare to the UK in that regard.

Wtf, within ONE WEEK we had an axe ramage, a machete spree, a shooting and a suicide bomber? WTF.

From what I've read it seems that the shooting was not a terrorist incident.

The UK is harder to enter thanks to its geographical position and its exclusion from the Schengen area.

Plus London did have the July 7 bombings just over a decade ago, and then in 2007 there was an attempt to ram an explosive car into Glasgow International Airport. Since then we've had the murder of Lee Rigby, and Wikipedia reminded me of the attacks at Leytonstone Tube station late last year. But perhaps it would be fair to say that things have been relatively quiet, especially recently.
I'd completely forgotten the last one, actually. I distinctly remember now the massive British pride I felt at 'you ain't no Muslim, bruv'.

As for this, glad only the bomber died but this could have been far worse.

Lamel

Banned
Damn. Hoping the injured recover smoothly.

From what I've read it seems that the shooting was not a terrorist incident.

I'm not 100% but from the looks of the the "machete spree" was also not a terrorist attack, but a disgruntled lover. Though that story is developing still.

Kayhan

Damn it seems crazy so many attacks in Germany right now.

Good thing this asshole only succeeded in killing himself.

electrotonus

Neo Member
At what point does it stop being "ammo for the right" and start being a legitimate argument?

For blind ideologues never, for open minded, pragmatic people it already is.

The European countries have been very safe countries to live in with low crime rates and even lower homicide rates. Homicides in Germany were such a rare occurence that you basically heard about every single one in national news.

There is no denying the fact that there is a problem with high crime rates among certain immigrant populations in Europe, not only in the context of terrorist acts but also the rather 'mundane' acts of crime like murder, rape and sexual abuse.

Politicians from the left and from the right should not differ in acknowledging this problem but in the solutions they propose to solve those problems.

CTLance

Wtf, within ONE WEEK we had an axe ramage, a machete spree, a shooting and a suicide bomber? WTF.
Well, we ARE a whopping eighty million people, give or take a couple million.
The axe guy and this one seem to be genuine terrorists and thus out of the ordinary, I'll give you that, but the rest are more or less white noise, statistically speaking. It's just that we are now far more sensitive to those issues.

Well what's the right number of refugee attacks to have before you draw the line?
I feel like this isn't even a reply to my post. The shit you're thinking about when you hear 'terrorism' such as the Paris attacks aren't refugees, they hail from the group from which the refugees flee and are almost always European born.

I feel like this isn't even a reply to my post. The shit you're thinking about when you hear 'terrorism' such as the Paris attacks aren't refugees, they hail from the group from which the refugees flee and are almost always European born.
You're right, it wasn't directed at you. I'm just wondering in general where the line is, if we're drawing lines.

At what point does it stop being "ammo for the right" and start being a legitimate argument?

I have a hard time sympathizing with people who use this as a reason to stir up blind hatred and generalization of what an entire people are like as a group, even though I don't deny that there definitely are problems. Trump is rightfully condemned for his attitude towards Mexicans/Muslims/black people, so the far-right absolutely also should be condemned and shamed for their views. Such problems need to be discussed and solved rationally, something which people have been having great difficulty with, given how popular Trump and co. have been for their simplistic 'solutions'.

CTLance

2016 can fuck off already.

At least the attacker only managed to kill himself. Hopefully the injuries aren't too serious.
Three victims seem to be in pretty serious condition. Hope they can pull through.

Agree on the sentiment about this year though. It's just shitty event after shitty event, plus bad weather.

electrotonus

Neo Member

It is right that a lot of the terrorists are actually born in the EU and not recent immigrants. Still, especially in the case of the Bataclan attack, they often abuse the open border policy amid the immigration crisis which means that they travel to foreign countries like Syria where they receive training and then come back undetected, claiming to be refugees. This is one of the reasons why it is so difficult to track radical islamists.

Vire

Why bother trying to revive that psychopathic cunt?
Find out his motives and accomplices... It's really the only reason.

As far as the refugee debate, I am 100% not in favor of any type bann of refugees as that is not what the US or many other countries were founded upon. However, I have yet to hear a logical solution from anyone else. What else can be done? I'm sorry to say but I value the lives of my mother, my brother and dearly loved friends more than a person I have never met before.

Maybe Canada has the right approach with severe restrictions, I don't know.

All I know is this is incredibly tragic and sad. I mean, four or five events (I've lost track to be quite honest) in the span of three days? How is this possible...I feel like I'm in a living nightmare and each time I open up my Twitter feed its another senseless tragedy by a Islamic terrorist.

Legitimately becoming scared for my safety due to what's happening in the world. I can't remember a time it's ever been this bad.

electrotonus

Neo Member
Judges sentence people to death, not medical staff. Also there is no capital punishment in Germany. And, maybe even more important, you don't know for sure whether he is the perpetrator or another victim.

So of course you help.

Find out his motives and accomplices... It's really the only reason.

As far as the refugee debate, I am 100% not in favor of any type bann of refugees as that is not what the US or many other countries were founded upon. However, I have yet to hear a logical solution from anyone else. What else can be done? I'm sorry to say but I value the lives of my mother, my brother and dearly loved friends more than a person I have never met before.

Maybe Canada has the right approach with severe restrictions, I don't know.

All I know is this is incredibly tragic and sad. I mean, four or five events (I've lost track to be quite honest) in the span of three days? How is this possible...I feel like I'm in a living nightmare and each time I open up my Twitter feed its another senseless tragedy by a Islamic terrorist.

Legitimately becoming scared for my safety due to what's happening in the world. I can't remember a time it's ever been this bad.

Canada doesn't have severe restrictions. They're taking in loads of Syrians from UN camps recently. The thing you're talking about is families getting greater priority for asylum. Remember as well that the 21st century is still the most peaceful time in human history.

nubbe

So tragic
Wouldn't be surprised if men by the age of puberty and older will eventually be banned refugees if the escalation continues...

Vire

Canada doesn't have severe restrictions. They're taking in loads of Syrians from UN camps recently. The thing you're talking about is families getting greater priority for asylum. Remember as well that the 21st century is still the most peaceful time in human history.
I was under the impression that it was limited to children, women and families. But maybe I was wrong about that? That's why I used the word restriction.

electrotonus

Neo Member
Stop tragic
Wouldn't be surprised if men by the age of puberty and older will eventually be banned refugees if the escalation continues...

I don't think that this will happen. Unfortunately, the debate in Germany about the gigantic immigrant influx (2.5 millions alone last year which equates to more than 3 percent of the total population of Germany) is extremely toxic. A rational debate is nearly impossible and extremist positions reign supreme. The borders will be kept open by the open border extremists up until the isolationists take over and close the borders for good. There seems to be no middle ground in Germany at the moment (e.g. Germany continues to take in refugees but there has to be a limit to the number and the people claiming to be refugees actually have to be refugees and must be screened for terrorist or criminal links in their past life).

chadskin

Bavarian interior minister: Suspect was a 27-year old Syrian refugee.

More:
AP: BREAKING: Bavaria's top security official says Ansbach attacker a 27-year-old Syrian who had been denied asylum.
AP: BREAKING: Bavaria's top security official says Ansbach attacker blew himself up after being turned away from music festival.

I don't think that this will happen. Unfortunately, the debate in Germany about the gigantic immigrant influx (2.5 millions alone last year which equates to more than 3 percent of the total population of Germany) is extremely toxic. A rational debate is nearly impossible and extremist positions reign supreme. The borders will be kept open by the open border extremists up until the isolationists take over and close the borders for good. There seems to be no middle ground in Germany at the moment (e.g. Germany continues to take in refugees but there has to be a limit to the number and the people claiming to be refugees actually have to be refugees and must be screened for terrorist or criminal links in their past life).

Moves are already being made toward this 'middle ground' you speak of.

http://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/K...ylum-package-enter-into-force.html?nn=3317164

jstripes

Banned
This shit is happening far too often.

A long time ago I said the internet would bring us to widespread knowledge or widespread disaster. The latter is sadly coming true. :/

Also, ModBot denied.

This shit is happening far too often.

A long time ago I said the internet would bring us to widespread knowledge or widespread disaster. The latter is sadly coming true. :/

Also, ModBot denied.

Yeah, I want to know how many people needed to die for it to become a remarkable incident.

I have a hard time sympathizing with people who use this as a reason to stir up blind hatred and generalization of what an entire people are like as a group, even though I don't deny that there definitely are problems. Trump is rightfully condemned for his attitude towards Mexicans/Muslims/black people, so the far-right absolutely also should be condemned and shamed for their views. Such problems need to be discussed and solved rationally, something which people have been having great difficulty with, given how popular Trump and co. have been for their simplistic 'solutions'.

You should be praised for your open mindedness, but this thinking isn't solving anything. Discussion and solving rationally might as well be a misnomer for "wait and see what happens." I certainly haven't seen Germany making any impactful measures to combat refugee crime, as rare or as common as it may be.

electrotonus

Neo Member

http://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/K...ylum-package-enter-into-force.html?nn=3317164

Problem is that those laws never get enacted.

The 27-year old Syrian perpetrator of the attack in Ansbach was denied asylum, he perpetrated crimes in Germany, still he was allowed to stay in the country (a so-called 'Duldung'). The current government in Germany claims to get tough on fake refugees and criminal immigrants, but those are only words upon which they don't act. They just don't want to lose more voters to the right-wing AfD.

Tyaren

Problem is that those laws never get enacted.

Sadly. Grüne (Greens) and Linke (Lefts) for example just a few weeks ago blocked a legislation, which was a vital part of "Asylpaket II", in the Federal Council that would have declared many African countries as safe countries, not eligible for refugee status. That did never happen, like many other things...

Betty

Banned
Bavarian interior minister: Suspect was a 27-year old Syrian refugee.

More:

864357666.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom