• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A polite discourse amongst friends on the importance of MP-elements in No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justified

That doesn't translate to: If you're standing in the same spot as your friend will you be able to see them and play with them and interact with them?

Could be in the form of a player "ghost" - like in Souls? There are other ways - "easter eggs" to use Sean's term - that you could see other players.

So which defense are you going to stick with?

In the interview he clearly says you could see the other person, just not what they look like because they will be wearing a suit

Raven77

This next post is not for you, I am just quoting your post, so don't take offence...

It legit shows that HE WAS NOT CONNECTED ONLINE, on his own screenshot yesterday during the stream. I played all night, I was maybe connected 15-20% of the time. They were playing on launch day, both not connected the majority of the time. Servers were having issues.

Such evidence. Much compelling. So definitive. Many wows.

Not saying it should not be questioned, but the vivitrol in here not looking at the technical facts, hahaha, goodness.

If it is true that these players weren't even connected when trying to meet up with each other can we please just put that one page one, post one, and close this thread? How in the hell are two players going to see each other when THEY'RE NOT ONLINE???

Pop

Nothing, because the feature doesn't exist and it's all bullshit.

I hope for your sake that those two dudes knew what the hell they were doing. Being on different day - night cycle seems like a weird way of testing this feature.

Thanks for confirming folks. I had pretty much assumed that that was the case but nice to know for sure.

It sounds like nothing of significance is lost then if I were to play this entirely offline at some point in the future as long as I loaded the patches.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Just to clarify, when i said "they were clear on this", I meant it in terms of "they have stated this" rather than "they've been vague on this", not in terms of "you should have seen this already".

Basically, sorry if I post came across as blunt or rude. But yeah, the influence of other players is at best minimal.

Klyka

Banned
If I was, there wouldn't be a PS4 version.

2YnBt.gif

Until I see another person from that region posting a picture confirming it, it's probably fake and someone want to get people riled up.

My copy arrived today, it's a PEGI version as well and there no sign of it:

Dude this is actually very interesting to see, I would say this confirms that sticker seen on reddit earlier to be real, considering your copy of the game does not have a sticker but the box is identical to the stickered version.

At some point during box printing they said "shit we don't really have online multi, we need to take that icon off the box," so they did...but some portion of the boxes needed a sticker to reflect the change.

Kssio_Aug

So this thing that was supposed to happen like three times ever is now the most important thing about NMS.

Such a boring thing to be upset about.

Just give me a third person view for my spacecraft and we good, Sean.

It was suppose to happen like three times ever because it was suppose to be such an huuuge world where meeting each other would be an extremely hard challenge. However.... It's not??

I don't get these posts trying to defend the supposedly lack of a promoted feature based in the statement that would be hard to find another player, when the OP clearly stated that players are already reaching the same locations.

That's so defensive.

flkraven

I hope for your sake that those two dudes knew what the hell they were doing. Being on different day - night cycle seems like a weird way of testing this feature.

For my sake? I don't have a dog in this fight. I've been wondering for ages why there isn't any clarity on this and now it's been exposed why: they were lying.

Just to clarify, when i said "they were clear on this", I meant it in terms of "they have stated this" rather than "they've been vague on this", not in terms of "you should have seen this already".

Basically, sorry if I post came across as blunt or rude. But yeah, the influence of other players is at best minimal.

murray2e0up8.gif

The_Lump

Banned
Yes? It's not a hard concept to grasp. Maybe 'trick' is not the right word. Maybe multiplayer is definitely going to be introduced later. But yeah, for sure.

It really is. To believe that you'd have to also believe that Sean has never had interaction with the gaming community in his life and genuinely thought he could trick the world without the internet loosing it's collective sh*t within 48hrs and rumbling him.

Which one requires you to take the biggest logical leap;
  1. That he thought he could trick people into buying a game (that they could easily return) without the internet finding out
    or
  2. That his comments about player interaction (aka multiplayer) were misinterpreted and/or players can in fact 'meet' but the chances of being on the same server at the same instance in time are basically zero.

SomTervo

No, actually he doubles down on it immediately after. The next question is "will you be able to grief other players" and he laughs and says "yeah, a little bit."

It's in that video people keep linking, at the very end.

Yeesh.

I mean, you don't say shit as unequivocally as this and not have it in your game. Everything else he promised and hinted at is in the game.

Again, the one experiment we've had must have been fraught, and I'm sure Hello's tight lips about the issue are about them waiting for other players to meet and confirm the feature.

If it is true that these players weren't even connected when trying to meet up with each other can we please just put that one page one, post one, and close this thread? How in the hell are two players going to see each other when THEY'RE NOT ONLINE???

Both of them tried to see each other for several hours over multiple attempts. One of them even modified his NAT settings and bought PS+ just in case. For multiple hours they were both connected online in the same location and never saw each other.

It was one screenshot from earlier in their testing that people latched onto.

Maddanth

So this thing that was supposed to happen like three times ever is now the most important thing about NMS.

Such a boring thing to be upset about.

Just give me a third person view for my spacecraft and we good, Sean.
Ya it is pretty crazy the hate this game has been getting. If it interests u, play it, If it don't, the don't buy it. I mean lets be real from day 1 it has been marketed as single player so not sure why people so upset if that were the case anyways . But I could also understand a simple yes/no answer about the issue too. So I guess I do understand somewhat as a yes/no would clear allot up, but if this game was bought for multiplayer knowing it's pretty much single player(as that's how it's been marketed from day 1) then I have to ask what's the complaining for? Lol. For me I don't care as I'm enjoying game allot and not big on multiplayer. But yes a third person view would be awesome.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

It is very true. People even took a screenshot that showed he was 'not connected' and even said he has a NAT3 because he can't connect to friends games or use party chat with them due to strict router settings.

But the 'gotchas' wanna ignore the actual evidence.

Hell, I payed from 8am to 2am EST (time flies by playing this game) and I did not leave my starting planet... and I connected maybe 3 times for a total of about 3-5 minutes each. Everyone has been experiencing this.

Inviusx

Dude this is actually very interesting to see, I would say this confirms that sticker seen on reddit earlier to be real, considering your copy of the game does not have a sticker but the box is identical to the stickered version.

At some point during box printing they said "shit we don't really have online multi, we need to take that icon off the box," so they did...but some portion of the boxes needed a sticker to reflect the change.

Yeah its another wrinkle to this mystery but why is the weird bird aliens head in 2 different positions?

Pop

It is very true. People even took a screenshot that showed he was 'not connected' and even said he has a NAT3 because he can't connect to friends games or use party chat with them due to strict router settings.

Hell, I payed from 8am to 2am EST (time flies by playing this game) and I did not leave my starting planet... and I connected maybe 3 times for a total of about 3-5 minutes each. Everyone has been experiencing this.

Space magic was suppose to connect those two.

It really is. To believe that you'd have to also believe that Sean has never had interaction with the gaming community in his life and genuinely thought he could trick the world without the internet loosing it's collective sh*t within 48hrs and rumbling him.

1. [*]That he thought he could trick people into buying a game (that they could easily return) without the internet finding out
    or
  2. That his comments about player interaction (aka multiplayer) were misinterpreted and/or players can in fact 'meet' but the chances of being on the same server at the same instance in time are basically zero.

Why the hell would they add a button that scans discoveries to find planets which already been discovered by other players and ease their way of meeting each other.....if MP doesnt exist??

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

They did not know what they were doing (posters in reddit were calling them out and getting pissed). They could not even connect to party chat because of strict NAT settings by one.

This thread has been started on 'selective' evidence.

Nugg

That reddit thing is real, my copy has the same sticker that I immediately peeled off because I'm OCD like that. It's weird

Afrowhitey

Neo Member
No, actually he doubles down on it immediately after. The next question is "will you be able to grief other players" and he laughs and says "yeah, a little bit."

It's in that video people keep linking, at the very end.

From almost three years ago.
Such great up-to-date information everyone is going on.

Bedlam

1. That he thought he could trick people into buying a game (that they could easily return) without the internet finding out
    or
3. The feature was planned at some point but didn't come to fruition. Now the definitive and final statements on this issue are withheld for a while in order to not lose potential sales. The shitstorm can be calmed afterwards when the critical day one sales are in.

As a general rule, if someone can't give a simple yes, then in all likelihood the answer is no, and vice versa.

Kinyou

Didn't they both manage to get connect to the servers later?

Inviusx

That reddit thing is real, my copy has the same sticker that I immediately peeled off because I'm OCD like that. It's weird

Can you please post photo evidence with a time stamp or maybe your gaff name? That would be really awesome. Do you still have the sticker?

Klyka

Banned

Ok guys, since the whole two streamer thing seems to be something people use to argue for and against multi, let me clarify things:

The first stream:

1. I was there, in the streamer chat, of the first stream when they initially made contact with each other.

2. They both entered the same space station in the same system at the same time. They could not see each other's ships.

3. We figured that the space station must be a single player instance.

4. They decided to meet up on the planet instead but were unsure how to find the same spot.

5. One streamer renamed an outpost he had discovered to "booty booty" but the other couldn't find it.

6. They went back to the space station. Me and many others told them to fly in a straight line out of the space station since it was pointing right at the planet. They did so and as they entered atmosphere, came across an outpost that both of them could see.

7. They both landed at the outpost, which looked exactly the same, had the same name and the same NPC in it for both of them.

8. We then realized that for one of them it was day and for the other it was night.

9. We tried relogging them a couple times to sync up but it didn't work.

10. We then found out one of them hat a "strict NAT" or "NAT type 3" on PS4, which we figured would be a deal breaker anyway.

At this point, the first stream basically ended and I left.

The second stream started earlier today. I was not quite as involved in this one but I did see some of it:

1. They both managed to get their NAT type switched to "NAT type 2" on PS4, which is moderate.

2. One of them was "online" and connected to the No Man's Sky servers according to the menu, the other one was not.

3. One of them had PS+. the other did not, so he got himself a month.

4. They could not see each other and their time of day was again not syncd up.

I then left the stream to go to work.

Later I read that they eventually were both connected to the No Man's Sky servers, but again after relogging could not see each other at all.
I can not confirm whether this is true or not.

I hope this clarifies some things!!

Afrodium

Banned
I think the reason we haven't gotten a yes/no answer is because the answer is 'yes, but statistically improbable' (basically what they've been saying all along). Saying yes is misleading and saying no is a lie. People are mistaking the truth for vagueness.

Space magic was suppose to connect those two.

Did Sean say "We added a 'scan for other players' in the Galactic Map to try to encourage this happening. We wanted it to happen - but the first day?" implying something happened day 1 (ie, the to players finding each other). Where does he say their experience did not go as intended?

flkraven

Added to the OP for clarity: The 2 people that tried this reset their NATs so everything was open, and they both made sure they had PS+ active.

Jebusman

Banned
There is no way to 'force it', the system does it for you. Regardless, one has NAT3 settings. We know how that works with Souls, etc..

Except for when during the "later" part, both of them got to NAT 2.

Do you intend to read up at all on what happened later on or are you just going to parrot the initial part forever?

Timeaisis

They did not know what they were doing (posters in reddit were calling them out and getting pissed). They could not even connect to party chat because of strict NAT settings by one.

This thread has been started on 'selective' evidence.

This thread has been started on selective evidence but has continued on lack of clarification.

There's an easy solution when you're audience is confused: clarify it. I don't care if Sean does it or PR does it, or Sony does it but at those point it's clear that many of their players are unsure if a certain feature exists and everyone up top is staying quiet about it.

Pop

Ok guys, since the whole two streamer thing seems to be something people use to argue for and against multi, let me clarify things:

The first stream:

1. I was there, in the streamer chat, of the first stream when they initially made contact with each other.

2. They both entered the same space station in the same system at the same time. They could not see each other's ships.

4. They decided to meet up on the planet instead but were unsure how to find the same spot.

5. One streamer renamed an outpost he had discovered to "booty booty" but the other couldn't find it.

6. They went back to the space station. Me and many others told them to fly in a straight line out of the space station since it was pointing right at the planet. They did so and as they entered atmosphere, came across an outpost that both of them could see.

7. They both landed at the outpost, which looked exactly the same, had the same name and the same NPC in it for both of them.

8. We then realized that for one of them it was day and for the other it was night.

10. We then found out one of them hat a "strict NAT" or "NAT type 3" on PS4, which we figured would be a deal breaker anyway.

The second stream started earlier today. I was not quite as involved in this one but I did see some of it:

1. They both managed to get their NAT type switched to "NAT type 2" on PS4, which is moderate.

2. One of them was "online" and connected to the No Man's Sky servers according to the menu, the other one was not.

Later I read that they eventually were both connected to the No Man's Sky servers, but again after relogging could not see each other at all.

So a terrible test. Two guys, 60 pages later. Haha, damn GAF

takoyaki

You could be right, my hunch is there was a multiplayer component planned even when the game was supposed to launch earlier this year and they just couldn't finish it in time. It fits with the PEGI ratings change and with Sean's earlier comments.

The image on reddit looks like it's the back of a collectors edition since you can't see the rest of the cover. Maybe some of the bonus material/collectors items were printed too early in Spain?

Ted

No problem, I didn't take your comment as anything other than an answer mate. I am probably pretty much the antithesis of many GAF members in that I don't really follow many games pre-release (and I'm a self confessed simpleton) so there is a good chance I have missed even the obvious things about this one!

Thanks again though, info is always much appreciated.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

The first stream:

Yep, which this OP thread was started with the pitchforks, and ignored ALL THE EVIDENCE.

Stay classy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom