• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Heads Up: There's nothing new in this KoF station, beyond learning that Ai Kazuma is Yuri's new VA. Even the trailer at the end is one we've seen before.

Watch as Ichiki-Sensei takes Kazuma-chan through a world of tutorials! It's actually kinda nice to see someone taking the time to break down a FG like this (you can tell SNK wants people of all skill levels to feel comfortable playing), but it's totally not interesting if you can't appreciate this, haha.

Of course, if watching Ai Kazuma *skweeee* over being able to do a short hop is your think, then the station is great! ;)

The Japanese version of the video is slightly longer, as it explains the regional DLC included after the story trailer plays. Otherwise, both the exact same thing.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| Actually, you hold the controller like this

I do think there are a few things there that are solid OT fodder, heh. If not for the Subtitle, then for the body itself.

BadWolf

Heads Up: There's nothing new in this KoF station, beyond learning that Ai Kazuma is Yuri's new VA. Even the trailer at the end is one we've seen before.

It's a fairly well done vid for people who have never played a fighter before, I'll probably be pointing people new to the genre/KOF to it in the future.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
G-Mantle (ゲーマント) ‏@SNKPofficial 13m13 minutes ago
THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV:
A New Team Trailer is going to be revealed soon! Stay tuned!! #KOF14 #KOFXIV

CpldfLNUMAAlTAt.jpg

BadWolf

The thing I'm bummed about with Love Heart is that she doesn't dual wield Uzi guns in XIV like she does in the pachinko games, though I guess it isn't surprising since SNK used to censor K9999 and Whip's guns back in the day.

Het_Nkik

The thing I'm bummed about with Love Heart is that she doesn't dual wield Uzi guns in XIV like she does in the pachinko games, though I guess it isn't surprising since SNK used to censor K9999 and Whip's guns back in the day.

Was that SNK doing the censoring or Agetec who was publishing the games in the US?

Loona

Guns are generally a poor fit for a martial arts tournament, letting some characters bring weapons is already taking major liberties with that.

It would be fun if one of Love's super involved crashing down on the opponent with her flying bike thing, of if her victory animation consisted on some heavy drinking, those things came off as fun elements of her setting in the Sky Love videos I saw.

BadWolf

Was that SNK doing the censoring or Agetec who was publishing the games in the US?

SNK I would expect since the arcade versions were also censored depending on the region used iirc.

Guns are generally a poor fit for a martial arts tournament, letting some characters bring weapons is already taking major liberties with that.

It would be fun if one of Love's super involved crashing down on the opponent with her flying bike thing, of if her victory animation consisted on some heavy drinking, those things came off as fun elements of her setting in the Sky Love videos I saw.

Dat drinking challenge: Sky Love : Love Heart VS Silvia Rose

And hey if Marco can bring his entire arsenal to NGBC... :p

Buy yeah, like you mentioned, it feels like there is quite a bit more to her character in the pachinko games than just a sword. Hopefully they capitalize on this in future entries.

Tizoc

Pachi Pirate Lady is such an uninspired design in this game =_=
Wonder what her moves are like...(yes I know there is footage, I'm too lazy to search :V)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wonder what her moves are like...(yes I know there is footage, I'm too lazy to search :V)

She uses her sword, but there doesnt seem to be any cool mechanic like Baetenkun.
But im sure she has fans, every character has 'em... even Sylvie.

Even Sylvie.... smh

Loona

KoF station seems to be mostly running a newbie through the tutorial, but this exchange when she was trouble with a QCF motion...:

"So I should be able to find characters with command inputs that fit me, right?"
"Actually if you can't even perform that simple move we just did, you probably can't do anything!"

Goddamn Ichiki is a dick... fitting for someone voicing Kyo, but this is not how you encourage someone to get interested in the game, especially after a reasonable question like hers...
Edit: he's not the one voicing Kyo, my bad.

Might serve as an encouragement for FG devs to allow the use of different characters in their tutorials, or at least enough variety that using a simpler charge motion is an option for learning about specials.

Buy yeah, like you mentioned, it feels like there is quite a bit more to her character in the pachinko games than just a sword. Hopefully they capitalize on this in future entries.

I also like the mood of the other drinking scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnJkmie9GFg

Something that could have been a decent inspiration for a super - free-fall upside-down fencing: https://youtu.be/Ijx1-gOCyR8?t=48

Kind of a cool character wasted in a degenerate game type, event with the odd character names. The guy who uploaded these videos seems to really love the character and setting, so has uploaded plenty of others in his channel, give it a look if you're curious.

BadWolf

Gameplay-wise Love Heart looks like she will be very effective at the mid range, that sword slash and crouching HP are looking really good.

She might turn out to be my replacement for Ryo.

KoF station seems to be mostly running a newbie through the
tutorial, but this exchange when she was trouble with a QCF motion...:

"So I should be able to find characters with command inputs that fit me, right?"
"Actually if you can't even perform that simple move we just did, you probably can't do anything!"

Goddamn Ichiki is a dick... fitting for someone voicing Kyo, but this is not how you encourage someone to get interested in the game, especially after a reasonable question like hers...

It was clearly a joke and you could see that once they got into training mode she became pretty consistent at the QCF motion, the vid is encouraging to new players I think.

The vid also really showed the worth of Rush combos for new players.

I also like to mood of the other drinking scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnJkmie9GFg

She looks like an older Leona in that... hawt.

I think KOD is the most boring uninspired character from his moveset alone, it is a generic grappler moveset. KOF has had much better and unique grapplers instead they decide to go with him. He is just there to fill in the mexican character spot for the team. His DM's suck especially the one where he just charges like a dork.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's a fairly well done vid for people who have never played a fighter before, I'll probably be pointing people new to the genre/KOF to it in the future.

Yeah, I do think it's nice to see them appealing to such a crowd. It can really feel like many fighters ignore the fact that the games are confusing for those who didn't grow up with them. They never put out any media to make a person feel welcomed.

While I would have loved the arsenal in a Whip-style way, I'm kinda happy with the rough-and-in-your-face brawler she's turned out to be. That cocky command-normal stomp, the close-up uppercut punch, the sword attack which is half a range tool, half a semi-unique anti-projectile, it's all fairly nice in concept, if not in flamboyant execution.

Since she has room to grow, and pick up even more personality from her own Pachi-Series, maybe it's a good sign she'll stick around, rather than be a 1-off. Much like how MuiMui still has SuperMuijin form to tap into.

@Loona - I thought the dickish exchange was pretty funny; it's not like he kept at that the entire time, lol. And he's not our Kyo VA, that's the other guy he normally host with. I don't think we know who Ichiki is actually voicing...

JayEH

KoF station seems to be mostly running a newbie through the tutorial, but this exchange when she was trouble with a QCF motion...:

Might serve as an encouragement for FG devs to allow the use of different characters in their tutorials, or at least enough variety that using a simpler charge motion is an option for learning about specials.

He's not actually doing Kyo. It's the co host from the other episodes. I think he's just a fan of the series.

BadWolf

While I would have loved the arsenal in a Whip-style way, I'm kinda happy with the rough-and-in-your-face brawler she's turned out to be. That cocky command-normal stomp, the close-up uppercut punch, the sword attack which is half a range tool, half a semi-unique anti-projectile, it's all fairly nice in concept, if not in flamboyant execution.

That's a good point actually and that approach to her gameplay and personality also differentiates her well from B. Jenet.

Since she has room to grow, and pick up even more personality from her own Pachi-Series, maybe it's a good sign she'll stick around, rather than be a 1-off. Much like how MuiMui still has SuperMuijin form to tap into.

So glad that she and Muimui didn't go down with SNK's pachinko business.

Also wouldn't mind Love Heart's rival (Amelia L. Falcon) making it into a future KOF, she looks pretty badass from pachinko vids.

That's a good point actually and that approach to her gameplay and personality also differentiates her well from B. Jenet.

Also wouldn't mind Love Heart's rival (Amelia L. Falcon) making it into a future KOF, she looks pretty badass from pachinko vids.

Yeah, there's SO much potential there. Just from watching some of those vids makes me want to know more about these characters.

So a rival pirate is named Sylvia? Wonder if she'll have dialog against Sylvie mentioning that?

Edit: Trailer should be dropping in 10 minutes...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think KOD is the most boring uninspired character from his moveset alone, it is a generic grappler moveset. KOF has had much better and unique grapplers instead they decide to go with him. He is just there to fill in the mexican character spot for the team. His DM's suck especially the one where he just charges like a dork.

Have you actually played him against another human being? Your opinions sounds like someone who'se only looked over the moves in training, but hasn't actually used them in a live fight.

HIs Guard Points are very good, his St.B into Claws or Hurricane throw is very good, especially since you can break the claw special. His crouch C is a fantastic Anti-air that stuffs even cross-ups. Since he's so big, his crouch A stuffs hops, retreat backdashes, anything pretty well, making it hard to get a hop-loop on him once he's aware.

Honestly, the Dinnertime DM is a fantastic tool, that moves him out of "Generic Grappler" territory pretty well. He can get OTG bits for free after it also, which adds a respectable amount of damage and allows you to decide on positioning of the opponents wakeup well. His command overhead also looks pretty similar to his St. Close C, so in the heat of battle, having him land it off a jump-in can lead to scary damage. And lets remember it's a DM that sets up for a close SDM or CDM very easily with super canceling.

Since KoF's grapplers are all so crazy and different than most games (Goro Daimon plays nothing like a Gief, Vice isn't an Abel, Ramon had no match until El Fruity took inspiration from him, etc, etc), I think it's kinda nice that KOD is more like a classic grappler from Non SNK series, with enough special stuff to make him squarely SNK. My brother has played him a LOT against me on the demo (and he's not normally a grappler lover), but his unique twist have made him fun for his play, and a pain for my normal KoF rush tactics. I can run circles around a Kyo with Iori or even kinda Sylvie, but KoD puts so much of a stop to the normal tactics, that it's a real pain.

Aye, which I'm glad about. Purple Clad pirates who can actually be different! It gives room for Jenet and her to be comrades in a future game, rather than one replacing the other.

Yup, I'd like to see a bit more of both their friends and world make some KoF appearances. Even if it's just characters appearing in win poses, or stages (Love's ship as a Stage would be nice for a KOF; we're missing an SNK classic boat / train ride stage in XIV...)

Everyone likes to call out how horrible the Pachislot years were, but to act as if the classic artist, character designers, and devs weren't somehow involved in many of those "games" is disingenuous. It's as much a part of them as things like Ozma Wars and Vanguard from the 80s were, too. To see them admit and salvage these ideas is pretty much the core of KoF as a series.

Fersis

Dunno man, he has a cancellable attack that OTGs and an OTG grab move, both that can be used after a forward throw (Cuz the throw wall bounces) and he also has normals with armor.
His running DM serves as follow up for his OTG slash attack.

He's hella slow i'll give you that.

The whole team looks pretty cool, i suspect that Nakoruru and Mui Mui will be very popular characters.

Tizoc

The animations in KoF 14 can be hit or miss at times.
I don't think I've seen special moves this slow since...well if not USF4 then the SFEX games :p
Take KING OF DINOSAURS for example, what are his moves?
ZETSU-METSU HARRICAAAANE! is fine

Ankylo Typhon looks lame because he just jumps on them, and while the opponent is holding his BODY BUILDER SIZED WEIGHT, he slashes at their face.

Daedalus attack is a dull move but its purpose is fine.

Dino bite is cool although the multihitting is kinda funny.

Super Zetsu-Metsu Hurricane gets a pass for
1- Reminds me of Darun's grab super from the SFEX series
2- The SDM ver. is basically regular Big GriffonDino Fall

His Kick super however is...well it's dull. I know they wanted to give him a grounded super but it just doesn't look that impressive with this game's engine.

His Climax DM would be better if the 3rd attack had him SLAMMING the opponent at the wall and the final slam replays 3 times.

hampig

SNK I would expect since the arcade versions were also censored depending on the region used iirc.

What are these Sky Love videos from? Is this like a stand alone animation or something?

BadWolf

Via Gematsu:

Nakoruru – She gathered Team Another World and traveled through time and space to The King of Fighters XIV tournament. This nature loving Ainu priestess is sure handy with a sword, and cuts through opponents with her Dancing Sword Arts of the Shikanna-Kamui style. Believe it or not, swordplay is NOT her most dangerous weapon. Oh no, her most dangerous asset is her wonderfully named pet hawk Mamahaha. For example, Mamahaha can dive bomb enemies and pick Nako up into the air to confuse/terrorize opponents. Although Nakoruru is a peace loving gal, she’ll introduce adversaries to a world of hurt if necessary.

Mui Mui – A member of a legendary ancient Chinese clan who fights with a powerful Kung Fu style. Even though she’s small in stature, the dragon blood running through her veins gifts her with great strength rivaled only by her voracious appetite. Mui Mui used to protect her clan’s treasure in her world, but accepted Nakoruru’s plea for help in order to track down this being. She won’t go home until the job’s done, but at least she’ll be able to enjoy some of this realms delicious food.

Love Heart – The Peace Pirate. Before being selected onto the team, she was busy seeking vengeance against the Skull Pirates for killing her father. Love Heart is a powerful combatant who fights with a sword and great skill, and wants to help finish Nakoruru’s quest as soon as possible to get back to her task.

What are these Sky Love videos from? Is this like a stand alone animation or something?

They are anime cutscenes from the pachinko games.

So friggin jealous -_-

Game's already available here in Peru lol. Will get it next month though as I don't want to get distracted from some stuff, Pokémon Go is already taking a lot of my time.

what does the back of the box look like-that's awesome btw-
I'm going to watch someone stream the game later I hope

Gren

Game's already available here in Peru lol. Will get it next month though as I don't want to get distracted from some stuff, Pokémon Go is already taking a lot of my time.

Yuck, not Y-fold shrinkwrap. Probably because the launch batch is a limited edition?

The former game-collector inside me cares about that kinda stuff :p

Yuck, not Y-fold shrinkwrap. Probably because the launch batch is a limited edition?

The former game-collector inside me cares about that kinda stuff :p
lol-by they way what does that yellow label say?
FREG what? or does it say FREE something,FRED InB4 || INI

Top Bottom