• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: King of Fighters XIV potential full roster leaked (48 characters + 2 bosses)

Huh?

Maxima, K', Kula, Takuma?

Billy's neutral stance is kind of static but he is very well animated otherwise.
I mean new as in newcomers to the series. I'm still extremely salty none of the remaining Those From The Past ended up playable, specially Botan.

BadWolf

I mean new as in newcomers to the series. I'm still extremely salty none of the remaining Those From The Past ended up playable, specially Botan.

That's not surprising considering XIII was the end of that story and they wouldn't be able to reuse those sprites outside of a dream match.

BadWolf

Arent Shermie and Vanessa the pretty girls? :p
They're the 2 characters i want the most to return to KOF, the third is Rick Strowd who would make his KOF debut.

Momoko would be cool too, she was such a fun character and personality in XI. Good design, great fighting style and animation, loved big boobs etc.

Man if you think about it XI had some very impressively well animated new sprites like Oswald, Momoko and Shion.

TreIII

The interesting thing is that if the 50 character count is true and the final game looks a decent bit better than it did in the first trailer then that's a fairly impressive output for about 2 or 3 years worth of work.

That would mean that they could make fighting games for their other IPs (which mostly have way smaller rosters than KOF) rather quickly moving forward.

That old hiring ad did say they were making a new mainline KOF and SamSho.

Yeah, it really seems like they wanted to go back to "MVS-era" efficiency as much as possible, so they can go back to having large rosters and games that can be made with a shorter turnaround time.

Japan's KOF scene predominantly plays 02UM over XIII, so I can imagine that had a factor in why they went in this direction. Along with 97, 98 and vanilla 02 still being played in plenty of places all over...

BadWolf

Japan's KOF scene predominantly plays 02UM over XIII, so I can imagine that had a factor in why they went in this direction. Along with 97, 98 and vanilla 02 still being played in plenty of places all over...

Good point, the old rumor did state that they were going back to classic/shorter style of combos with no HD etc.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Metal Slug should join the KoF universe. We already have the Ikari Warriors and Psycho Soldier after all.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I wish they would use more art of fighting/fatal fury characters lee, strowd and bob wilson would be dope additions

delSai

Metal Slug should join the KoF universe. We already have the Ikari Warriors and Psycho Soldier after all.

Sure, why not? Both Marco and Fio showed up in Fighting Games, so they wouldn't be new to the genre.
I'd rather have a team with some obscure characters from i dunno, 3 Count Bout or something like that though to be honest.

I wish they would use more art of fighting/fatal fury characters lee, strowd and bob wilson would be dope additions

There's too many great characters. TOO MANY.

What's funny is how the opposite already happened. First it was the Ikari Warriors which actually fit in, but now with Metal Slug Defense every KoF character is joining Metal Slug. Even the USA Sports team lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What's funny is how the opposite already happened. First it was the Ikari Warriors which actually fit in, but now with Metal Slug Defense every KoF character is joining Metal Slug. Even the USA Sports team lol

Wait, so Heavy D! and pals actually have a job now? lol

BadWolf

There's too many great characters. TOO MANY.

NeoGeo Battle Coliseum 2 pls.

And those sprites are actually super well animated in the Metal Slug style, people should definitely check them out on youtube.

PSqueak

Banned

Fio was one of the extra strikers in KoF 2000, so there is that.

But yeah, it would be cool to have Marco, Tarma, Eri or Fio be in the ikari warriors team as a cameo fighter one day.

I always liked SNK characters more than Capcom's. Since the release of SF3 I think I only liked about 4 of the new characters that Capcom has introduced since then.

TreIII

Good point, the old rumor did state that they were going back to classic/shorter style of combos with no HD etc.

And if that "going back to '98" thing ended up being true, that would make me very happy.

In the end, I didn't really care for XIII, as much as I wanted to like it. It just was not what I wanted from a KOF game.

BadWolf

Without Ai please.

She was such an oddball hehe.

And if that "going back to '98" thing ended up being true, that would make me very happy.

In the end, I didn't really care for XIII, as much as I wanted to like it. It just was not what I wanted from a KOF game.

That's good.

XIII is probably my fave fighter ever but I dig the classic style too so I'm cool either way.

Whompa02

The character creation process for 12/13 was a complete waste. The pay off was just not there. The graphics/animations that got into those games were nice, but the games lost a LOT of personality in the process of making those high quality sprites.

Limited win poses, ZERO pre-fight animations, ZERO character specific pre-fight intros, limited move lists (where's my CLAAKU SPAAKU??), small roster that took forever to update, LOTS of head and palette swap characters (Hwa-Jai? Lol, hardly a fan favorite.)

That art style looked nice, but killed the charm of the series IMO.

Hopefully, the new 3D engine can inject some of that classic KOF personality back into the game, even if it doesn't LOOK as nice as KOF 13.

How can you say this when people actually watched KOF13 on streams all the time when it was out? Nobody cared about KOF for years until 13 came out. It actually trended relatively well for itself. I agree it was a time sink to actually make the sprites, but they had a great foundation that they could have built on for years...

delSai

With KOF14 being 3D, there should be a chance that it has alt. costumes right? Would be a cool way to get stuff like Garou Terry (if they're going with classic Terry that is) /Iori without red coat and some other cool designs in there. Mai had a cool costume in some KOF loading screen iirc.

Loona

As long as it's Hyakutaro - I'd love to see how the king of MS hostages would get by in a fighting tournament.

I'd rather have a team with some obscure characters from i dunno, 3 Count Bout or something like that though to be honest.

This - I loved seeing Red Dragon mentioned in the Kensou/Raiden intro in XIII, and it would be pretty neat to see how he'd fare in KoF. The poison spit move might help differentiate him from a light mobile wrestler like Ramon, in the very least.

NeoGeo Battle Coliseum 2 pls.

This is where the MS cast would fit best, and the concept is too great not to use again hen SNKP gets more comfortable with new tech.

Without Ai please.

I'm not all that fond of Ai's design, but I liked how Yuki leaned more toward the NeoGeo and Ai helped to represent the NGPC - it would be nice to see them introduce a 3rd character to help represent the Hyper NeoGeo 64 - maybe a character with more power than technique to make the best use of it, it would be pretty fitting.

With KOF14 being 3D, there should be a chance that it has alt. costumes right? Would be a cool way to get stuff like Garou Terry (if they're going with classic Terry that is) /Iori without red coat and some other cool designs in there. Mai had a cool costume in some KOF loading screen iirc.

Maximum Impact did this very well, and I welcome another shot at SNK alternate skins.

As for Mai, there are lots of outfits she could use, including something a lot more ninja-like than what she's known for.

TreIII

This would be the stuff I'd honestly count on, at this point. It's one of the things that MI2/Reg A did very well with almost ten years ago, and they'd be silly not to do something like that again in their new mainstream game.

The main question would be how much SNKP would include in-game and/or charge for as DLC. (I'd also wonder how Kyo's classic schoolboy outfit would even look like on this new version of him, but that's another thing altogether.)

BadWolf

One of the most underated fighting games ever made.

It is praticaly unknown to most people and it is awesome and deserve a sequel improving it

Too true, still hoping for a Steam port -_-

As for Mai, there are []url=http://dreamcancel.com/2015/06/29/exploring-kof-xiii-dialogues-mai-and-the-shiranui-legacy/lots of outfits she could use, including something a lot more ninja-like than what she's known for[/url].

Great article, lol at one of the pics:

6l5CX87.jpg

Mexico team is the HYPEST shit in existence and I hope this is a norm for the series.

Excellent first post.

The Griffon not being the leader of the Mexico team though... That shit is questionable. Sometimes Ramon annoys the hell out of me.

EDIT: it's come a long way since KoF 94, where "Team Mexico" was 3 Japanese karate guys.

TreIII

Excellent first post.

The Griffon not being the leader of the Mexico team though... That shit is questionable. Sometimes Ramon annoys the hell out of me.

EDIT: it's come a long way since KoF 94, where "Team Mexico" was 3 Japanese karate guys.

Tizoc the Griffon, much like Daimon, probably realizes that he can get along just fine being the "awesome big guy" of the team. And like Daimon, he can probably sit back while his two teammates are the ones that provide all the laughs because of their antics.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Not uncommon. I have a jacket that does this and it's extremely annoying.

Not the jacket I have but here's a sample of one that does this:

RMmHUoX.jpg

That sounds as stupid as fake pockets

If you think pockets are stylish just put a fucking pocket in god damn it I need something to store my fucking keys

It's not stupid or annoying at all, it's extremely useful with long jackets, it lets you sit comfortably even without opening completely the zip, just open the zip from the bottom as much as you need, have you ever felt uncomfortable driving with a long jacket? That's the solution.

How can you say this when people actually watched KOF13 on streams all the time when it was out? Nobody cared about KOF for years until 13 came out. It actually trended relatively well for itself. I agree it was a time sink to actually make the sprites, but they had a great foundation that they could have built on for years...

I don't think KOF13's temporary success had anything to do with the needlessly expensive, time consuming sprite creation process.

I'd say it had much more to do with a solid, fun game combined with a hype community that regularly participated in the tourney scene during those 2 years.

A 2D game can still look very nice and smooth without having to do what they did for 13.

Boxing Team:

Heavy D!
Vanessa
Franco Bash Shen Woo or Rob Python from Buriki One

Just give me this as DLC, SNK. Rick Strowd's moveset was completely co-opted by Vanessa, so there's no point in him appearing in KOF when we already have a much better version. And who the fuck cares about Mickey from AoF.

Tizoc

Boxing Team:

Heavy D!
Vanessa
Franco Bash

Just give me this as DLC, SNK. Rick Strowd's moveset was completely co-opted by Vanessa, so there's no point in him appearing in KOF when we already have a much better version. And who the fuck cares about Mickey from AoF.

Franco Bash is kickboxing actually
GUUUUUTS DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNK!

Warxard

Banned
Excellent first post.

Griffonmask isn't a leader though, and shows very little leaderlike qualities. He just loves putting on a show.

Storywise, I think Ramon is the leader of this group with Angel being the dysfunctional wild card seeing as she was previously a NESTS Spy before NESTS went under. There's also some dialogue in the KOF side-stories that imply Angel has a huge sense of admiration for Griffon.

Ramon is actually incredibly capable as an Agents member despite being a real goofball.

Tizoc

I would be surprised if those characters speak proper Spanish, though.
The only character I remember doing it is Pepe, from Rage of the Dragons (from Evoga)

Let's say SNK opt for Spanish voice actors for the Mexico team; who would you have voice the cast :3

Loona

Let's say SNK opt for Spanish voice actors for the Mexico team; who would you have voice the cast :3

Then the accents would be wrong, and it's not like this sort of concern has applied frequently to characters who're supposed to speak English in their games.

Top Bottom