• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What can 343 do to get more people invested in Halo again?

BokehKing

Banned
Despite championing a superior network, MS has yet to create a high budget MMO lite, like Division or Destiny.

I think Halo represents the best opportunity to do exactly that, the lore is ripe and the story is rich. I think MS should try this as perhaps a prequel (Forerunner time period?) or whatever.

As for the standalone games, I think Halo 5 multiplayer is the best it has ever been, the story campaign does need a lot of work in terms of narrative and encounter design. The Prometheans are no where near as fun to fight as the Covenant were.
If they made halo like destiny I would be all over that....

DangerStepp

Make a Halo game with no shooting like Gone Home.

Instead of 'Chief' people call you 'John' and instead of Cortana you have a pet cat.

You can walk around, look at your belongings, read through stuff, and pet the cat.

Defect

Hire people who know how to create fun maps. Not one in 4/5 were any good. You play 1-3 and there is a long list of great maps.
Truth, Colliseum, Regret, Fathom, Eden are great.

But then again you probably like High Ground, Guardian and Construct in Halo 3 lol

SimonM7

You don't have to simplify the underlying narrative to have a surface narrative that people can grasp. They really do need to work on the latter to make the average person feel like ANYTHING IS HAPPENING, though. It's gotten completely ridiculous as of Halo 5, where some of the most game-changing things are actually going down for fans neck-deep in the lore, but for the layman, pretty much nothing happened in that campaign.

Going back to 30 fps would be fine as long as they make visual leaps.

That would be terrible. Halo 5 already looks good and Halo 6 on PC and Scorpio is going to look damn fine. I'd rather they continue to prioritize 60fps for how it genuinely improves the feel of these games. If 30fps is ever considered again for this franchise, I hope to god it's limited to a reintroduced splitscreen element.

Halo is 12 games deep and a 15 year old franchise that's been running nonstop as of this year. Halo Wars 2 is coming next year with Halo 6 and whatever else to follow. Its a miracle its still as successful as it is considering it was at its peak before COD, BF, and the countless other FPS had come into prominence.

Hell 343 has been running Halo since 2009. All they have to do is keep improving and they're good. Maybe things will come back around to them being on top one day which for a 15 years old franchise to do would be fucking amazing.

They got the gameplay back up to the original trilogy standards aside from the shit campaign--I think a lot of damage was done when H4 landed like a turd and the MCC ended up being arguably the most buggy game release of all time.

It's still going to sell really well but it's not going to be the hottest thing going if they stick to the current form simply based on fatigue. Unlike Call of Duty which can do all kinds of setting swaps to try to freshen things up, Halo is always going to have a similar aesthetic.

With a great foundation for the MP now I'd focus on really aiming to deliver the best campaign since CE--drop the forced coop and tell a great story with visuals that really shine at 30 fps as a scorpio showcase. Add in a lot more stuff for the casuals and stop beating everyone over the head with the halo championship series and the fucking pro league nonsense. If your game is good the competitive scene will carve out its own niche. It doesn't need the complete backing of your development staff and marketing. That just intimidates casuals.

That would be terrible. Halo 5 already looks good and Halo 6 on PC and Scorpio is going to look damn fine. I'd rather they continue to prioritize 60fps for how it genuinely improves the feel of these games. If 30fps is ever considered again for this franchise, I hope to god it's limited to a reintroduced splitscreen element.

If its a choice between 30 fps and a really polished feeling experience and 60 fps and fukkery then I'll take the former

There were aspects of H5 that just looked really fucked visually due to the 60 fps--the variable framerate for shit in the background, the strange resolution...Halo felt just fine at 30 fps. If they can get it to 60 and have it feel polished then great, but I hope they avoid what happens with 5.

Trup1aya

They need to do what Bungie wouldn't. Provide a custom games browser and in-game LFG.

Also have the MP be free come this holiday season.

It would also help if future titles had split screen and a decent story.

Defect

Lol exactly. Maybe he means Warzone?
Well he played around 20 matches in the game and they were mostly btb and mythic shotty snipers so...

inb4 "BUT I PLAY ON ANOTHER ACCOUNT"

I'll give you colliseum. Nice try at an insult I guess?
If you want to interpret that as an insult that's on you.

Those H3 maps I listed are some of the "great" ones people usually talk about. The only good 4v4 maps in 3 were Heretic, Citadel and... that's it.

I haven't played enough of CE or 2 to judge but I know Warlock and Sanctuary are good. Maybe Damnation too?

I haven't played enough of CE or 2 to judge but I know Warlock and Sanctuary are good. Maybe Damnation too?

Naw, man. Chiron is where it was at.

My big complaint is probably that..

The campaign in Halo 4 and up is way too linear. In the Bungie Halo games, there were all kinds of paths to explore and secrets to find. There are none of those in H4 and 5 and if they ARE there they aren't laid out in a way that makes them interesting enough for me to notice or care. The maps that Bungie made encouraged exploration and even getting lost sometimes, all the while having a pretty good flow from combat to combat. Plus, the color palette just doesn't feel exciting. It's a lot more bland than any of the original Halo games - probably to emphasize that the story itself is "darker". I don't enjoy playing it. I miss high contrast environments in shooters.

If its a choice between 30 fps and a really polished feeling experience and 60 fps and fukkery then I'll take the former

There were aspects of H5 that just looked really fucked visually due to the 60 fps--the variable framerate for shit in the background, the strange resolution...Halo felt just fine at 30 fps. If they can get it to 60 and have it feel polished then great, but I hope they avoid what happens with 5.

Have you ever played Master Chief Collection? Those games all felt fine at 30fps. They feel noticeably better and smoother at 60fps.

MP is great. I loved Warzone and I did play it a lot when I was on a break from Destiny.

I do prefer the old MP without Sprint and smaller maps, but "MCC LMAO" :(.

The SP though. I groan whenever I think about going back and having to face Warden Eternal because I was tired of the BS mechanics. And the story. And Locke.

I can dig that. I'm not a massive fan of Arena but I do like to dip my toe in every now and again. I love Warzone and right now I'm always playing Firefight.

I didn't think the single player campaign was that bad but the Warden Eternal sections were terrible, I ended up cheating and standing on a pillar he couldn't get to me on when I had to face 86 of him or however many versions of him there were! Have you tried it in co op though? I've played through it twice in four player and in that mode the game absolutely shines and is so much fun to play. It is proper Halo and the laughs we've had playing through the campaign I just don't get with any other game out there.

I hope 343i continue on the path they've begun with Halo 5 and just improve on the core mechanics they have and let us play as Chief more. For me that's all I want.

For me its improving multiplayer...

I think 343 did both an amazing job with multiplayer and a terrible job. The controls/gameplay are absolutely fantastic, definitely a huge fan of the new control scheme (And this coming from someone who dumped thousands of hours into halo 1/2/3 multiplayer)

But Warzone is garbage and the lack of attention to classic multiplayer is what pushed me away entirely. Very small and weak map selection (most of them having a very similar industrial look) and a terrible selection of modes at launch. If i want to play ctf (which is my favorite halo mode) i shouldn't have to pick a playlist that combines all modes and rely on rng to get it.

A more classic halo multiplayer focus (more unique/memorable maps, more modes to choose from) mixed with the new control scheme would definitely interest me and possibly pull me back in.

I suppose the problem 343 have is that Halo is different things for different people.

How does the old saying go, “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SOR5

My last recommendation that people may not agree with:

REMOVE THE STARCRAFT STYLE PORTRAITS AND UI CLUTTER WHEN CAMPAIGN CHARACTERS ARE TALKING

Christ it looks cheesy and dated from its inception, it looks like those Y2K versions of the future back in old Backstreet Boys videos, just the voice will be fine, I dont need a friggin Skype call with a JPG of someones face

Make the UI gentle and beautiful again, like someone said: Why does the art style look so angry and inflexible now?

^^^ this UI has aged well, Halo 4 and Halo 5's UI won't age well, not a "booo 343 yaaay Bungie" post, just one thing I see thats right and one thing I see thats wrong

Also Marty and Jinnouchi will be amazing together

93xfan

Banned
They had better fix the MCC, at least for Scorpio's launch. Even the menu layout needs to be changed so that we have columns for choosing the level and game type.

Microsoft is plain shameful with how they've treated fans of their biggest franchise.

jem0208

Hire people who know how to create fun maps. Not one in 4/5 were any good. You play 1-3 and there is a long list of great maps.

Halo 4:
Haven
Monolith
Skyline

Also a bunch of pretty decent BTB maps.

Halo 5:
Truth
Fathom
Eden
Plaza
Coliseum
The Rig
Regret
Stasis

I enjoyed Halo 5 and honestly is way my first Halo experience, however the multiplayer I just got destroyed in, I did try to push through it but dam I just couldn't take the constant deaths lol

dmix90

It's beatiful. I get a teary eye every time......
343 should have kept original title screens for MCC instead of lifeless spreadsheet stuff we have got. At least they kept the soundtrack.

Agree that their current art style is overly busy. Also prometheans are still boring to fight against and look at. They should add some kind of.... i dunno meat to them?

Just replayed Reach on heroic and almost every elite is a big problem to you in gameplay and also in cutscenes everyone struggles while fighting covenant forces. Compare that to intro to H5 and its like completely different universe. Badass marines everywhere, built in jetpacks. flashy neon armor sets....ewwww. I know that in the extended lore its probably explained that tech got better and chief worked overtime but there still should be visible challenge even for premium squads.

If there is good ingame storytelling, simplified art style and fun enemies/weapons then H6 can be great. Can't say much about MP because i only played a few arena and warzone matches. Warzone is trash with all those microtransactions bullshit but arena mode was fun.

Oh and bring back old or create new headshot chirp sound. Current one is so synthetic.

Moa

OMG Rofl. Thanks for the laugh man. Why aren't you using the Neogaf dark scheme though? I know I'm weird, but Halo is a case where the slower more tactical pace was actually one of its defining features and its been lost at 60FPS.

NeoGAF dark just doesn't feel right for me. I try it every now and again but it never tickles my fancy.

As for going back to 30. There's ways to make Halo feel 'slower' than dropping the frame rate in half.

One thing I have missed a lot is split screen and system link even.

It sucks me and my friends had a Halo party last night and were stuck playing Halo 4 on 360 so we could all play against each other.

Making a good campaign would also go a long way to keeping me invested.

Other than that, the multiplayer content and gameplay has been fantastic.
Also the Spartan customization an unlockables are great, so no problems there.

For me it’s incredibly easy to make Halo great again, or at least, easy to put all the chips in your favor. It’s a lot of small details that 343 just aren’t doing right. What is that saying again? If you don’t learn from your passed mistakes you’re doomed to repeat them? Well that’s it. Mind you, a lot of those mistakes were Bungies mistakes but still, they should pay attention and learn from them nonetheless.

For one, make the visuals blow me away. I’m fed up of playing Halo games that just look above average while every other game that comes out at the same time look incredible. Get your shit together and give me an amazing looking game. You’re Microsofts premiere developer working on their premiere franchise, fucking show us.

Speaking of visuals….that forge look just isn’t cutting it. Granted, forge has come a long way and has improved a lot but forge maps still have a “look” to them that most of the people I know just don’t like. They say the game is ugly when in fact it’s the forge maps that are actually ugly. It makes the game look worse than it really is. Either improve forge and put a real map editor or stop filling playlists with those average looking maps. Yeah, I’m looking at you BTB. What shit.

Features and game modes: If you wanna add new stuff to Halo, I’m all for it (within reason) but please don’t remove game types (or features like splitscreen) that are staples of Halo just to add them on later on in a CU and make them appear as new. This is BS. Grifball isn’t fucking new. Zombies isn’t new. It’s old as fuck and should be in there day one.

Where’s my file share? It’s August 2016. Be more punctual with your features. I doubt anyone even cares anymore about the in-game file share at this point.

Prometheans: Either make then fun once and for all or phase them out. The worst part about every FF game is any wave with them in it. Boring enemy, boring design, terrible AI, impossible to kill (particularly in FF), just spawn anywhere they want. Fix it or remove them. Personally, I’ll give you extra points if they all die and go back to being extinct in your next game.

Campaign: Change it up. Stop following the Bungie model that they don’t even follow anymore, grow some balls and do something epic. Give us an open world type map where you can choose your missions. It doesn’t have to be an RPG, just give us an ODST type model, but with the Chief. Remember that guy? It’s the guy we buy this game for.

Speaking of Chief, I don’t wanna play as Arbiter, I don’t wanna play as Locke, I don’t wanna play as Buck, I wanna play as the mother fucking Master Chief. If this is a main Halo game, don’t give me this side show character to play as. I don’t want it and im not going to enjoy it. Didn’t like it in 2 and definitely don’t like it now. I want Chief, preferably with Cortana on his side. Not as a lunatic AI that’s a shadow of her former self. Jesus.

Get MP map designers that know how to make maps that don’t all look and feel the same. Where are all the halo maps? Or the covy ones? All I see is human aesthetics with the same pieces that keep repeating themselves in every map. The 343 maps in general in 4 and 5 have been above average at best. I remember Heaven in halo 4 being really good and I can’t think of one in 5 that I like as much as that. That’s one map in 2 full games.

And NO, do not remove clamber or sprint. If I see one more of those posts on Neogaf im gonna freak out. Evolve people, nobody in their right mind wants to go back to slow-ass molasses halo. Its 2016. Hell, I just replayed everything in MCC single players and I kept trying to sprint….there no going back now. Deal with it.

Keep the game 60FPS is possible. I can’t go back now. Especially MP.

Could you please change the tank controls so they don’t make it look like a retard is driving it? Please? Some things CAN be improved you know.

The banshee in MP just doing flips and side rolls non-stop is stupid. Give that shit a god damn limit.

Give the Ghost ammo a limit or overheat limit. Otherwise it’s OP.

Don’t make me read a book to understand the games story. Keep it simple and direct. Save the earth, destroy the halo, who cares. It’s the gameplay we play for. Mind you, I do enjoy a good story.

Make the custom game options deep again. I remember previous halo games had a shit ton of custom game options. You could edit practically everything. Since 343 took over, most of them disappeared. Why? Some people even created game types like griefball because of that previous dept. Any new community created modes lately? Nope. Wonder why….

That 4 player squad. Although nice in theory, it’s terrible in practice. If im going to spend all my time reviving them cause of their incompetence, I rather not even have them there. I preferred the old way of doing things. Let me play the SP campaign alone and if my coop buddies join then add them and adapt the AI. But to have 4 teammates at all times, it feels forced and I don’t like it. I enjoyed the days where Chief would get to an area and some regular AI soldiers were there and would just start following him for a while. That to me is a lot better and feels more like Halo than this. I have no problems with changing it up, but for main Halo games you have to be careful. On a spin off, it’s a different story. Im more open to this type of stuff on a spin-off than a main halo game with Chief.

MP Gameplay: The core of the MP Gameplay is fantastic. The game plays great, the guns are great, and the MP core is fantastic. Change nothing…..but the maps.

Warzone: Please fix this game type so I’m not either wrecking the other team or getting wrecked. There doesn’t seem to be an in-between to this mode. You either destroy or get destroyed. Fix it. Oh and Spartans go to war and dont even bring a full clip of ammo with them? Nice.

Keep the free content updates (CUs) coming. This was a great initiative and it gets people tuning in monthly to see what’s new and keeps the game fresh. Keep it up. Although try to give us actual dev made maps. Forge maps don’t count as new and are for the most-part, disappointing.

Weekly, daily bounties/challenges: This was in halo before. I remember it in Reach and for some reason has since disappeared. How cool would it be to get SP and MP challenges that get you special cards or REQ packs when completed? Kill this SP boss, kill this many grunts in the campaign, etc… I would totally log in every day to do them. Especially SP ones.

And finally, don’t ship broken ass games: Yeah im looking at you MCC. And if you do, fix them. Don’t just leave them out to die. You should care about every single game your company logo is on. Don’t give up on them because it’s too hard to fix or MS tells you it isn’t worth the cost/effort. All this tells us, is that you don’t care.

To me, this is what is crucial for MAIN Halo games. If you do this every time, you’ll put all the odds in your favor.

For me it’s incredibly easy to make Halo great again, or at least, easy to put all the chips in your favor. It’s a lot of small details that 343 just aren’t doing right. What is that saying again? If you don’t learn from your passed mistakes you’re doomed to repeat them? Well that’s it. Mind you, a lot of those mistakes were Bungies mistakes but still, they should pay attention and learn from them nonetheless.

For one, make the visuals blow me away. I’m fed up of playing Halo games that just look above average while every other game that comes out at the same time, look incredible. Get your shit together and give me an amazing looking game. You’re Microsofts premiere developer working on their premiere franchise, fucking show us.

Speaking of visuals….that forge look just isn’t cutting it. Granted, forge has come a long way and has improved a lot but forge maps still have a “look” to them that most of the people I know just don’t like. They say the game is ugly when in fact it’s the forge maps that are actually ugly. It makes the game look worse than it really is. Either improve forge and put a real map editor or stop filling playlists with those average looking maps. Yeah, I’m looking at you BTB. What shit.

Features and game modes: If you wanna add new stuff to Halo, I’m all for it (within reason) but please don’t remove game types (or features like splitscreen) that are staples of Halo just to add them on later on in a CU and make them appear as new. This is BS. Grifball isn’t fucking new. Zombies isn’t new. It’s old as fuck and should be in there day one.

Where’s my file share? It’s August 2016. Be more punctual with your features. I doubt anyone even cares anymore about the in-game file share at this point.

Prometheans: Either make then fun once and for all or phase them out. The worst part about every FF game is any wave with them in it. Boring enemy, boring design, terrible AI, impossible to kill (particularly in FF), just spawn anywhere they want. Fix it or remove them. Personally, I’ll give you extra points if they all die and go back to being extinct in your next game.

Campaign: Change it up. Stop following the Bungie model that they don’t even follow anymore, grow some balls and do something epic. Give us an open world type map where you can choose your missions. It doesn’t have to be an RPG, just give us an ODST type model, but with the Chief. Remember that guy? It’s the guy we buy this game for.

Speaking of Chief, I don’t wanna play as Arbiter, I don’t wanna play as Locke, I don’t wanna play as Buck, I wanna play as the mother fucking Master Chief. If this is a main Halo game, don’t give me this side show character to play as, I don’t want it and im not going to enjoy it. Didn’t like it in 2 and definitely don’t like it now. I want Chief, preferably with Cortana oh his side. Not as a lunatic AI that’s a shadow of her former self. Jesus.

Get MP map designers that know how to make maps that don’t all look and feel the same. Where are all the halo maps? Or the covy ones? All I see is human aesthetics with the same pieces that keep repeating themselves in every map. The 343 maps in general in 4 and 5 have been above average at best. I remember Heaven in halo 4 being really good and I can’t think of one in 5 that I like as much as that. That’s one map in 2 full games.

And NO, do not remove clamber or sprint. If I see one more of those posts on Neogaf im gonna freak out. Evolve people, nobody in their right mind wants to go back to slow-ass molasses halo. Its 2016. Hell, I just replayed everything in MCC single players and I kept trying to sprint….there no going back now. Deal with it.

Could you please change the tank controls so they don’t make it look like a retard is driving it? Please? Some things CAN be improved you know.

The banshee in MP just doing flips and side rolls non-stop is stupid. Give that shit a god damn limit.

Don’t make me read a book to understand the games story. Keep it simple and direct. Save the earth, destroy the halo, who cares. It’s the gameplay we play for. Mind you, I do enjoy a good story.

Make the custom game options deep again. I remember previous halo games had a shit ton of custom game options. You could edit practically everything. Since 343 took over, most of them disappeared. Why? Some people even created game types like griefball because of that previous dept. Any new community created modes lately? Nope. Wonder why….

That 4 player squad. Although nice in theory, it’s terrible in practice. If im going to spend all my time reviving them cause of their incompetence, I rather not even have them there. I preferred the old way of doing things. Let me play the SP campaign alone and if my coop buddies join then add them and adapt the AI. But to have 4 teammates at all times, it feels forced and I don’t like it. I enjoyed the days where Chief would get to an area and some regular AI soldiers were there and would just start following him for a while. That to me is a lot better and feels more like Halo than this. I have no problems with changing it up, but for main Halo games you have to be careful. On a spin off, it’s a different story. Im more open to this type of stuff on a spin-off than a main halo game with Chief.

MP Gameplay: The core of the MP Gameplay is fantastic. The game plays great, the guns are great, and the MP core is fantastic. Change nothing…..but the maps.

Warzone: Please fix this game type so I’m not either wrecking the other team or getting wrecked. There doesn’t seem to be an in-between to this mode. You either destroy or get destroyed. Fix it. Oh and Spartans go to war and dont even bring a full clip of ammo with them? Nice.

Keep the free content updates (CUs) coming. This was a great initiative and it gets people tuning in monthly to see what’s new and keeps the game fresh. Keep it up. Although try to give us actual dev made maps. Forge maps don’t count as new and are for the most-part, disappointing.

Weekly, daily bounties/challenges: This was in halo before. I remember it in Reach and for some reason has since disappeared. How cool would it be to get SP and MP challenges that get you special cards or REQ packs when completed? Kill this SP boss, kill this many grunts in the campaign, etc… I would totally log in every day to do them. Especially SP ones.

And finally, don’t ship broken ass games: Yeah im looking at you MCC. And if you do, fix them. Don’t just leave them out to die. You should care about every single game your company logo is on. Don’t give up on them because it’s too hard to fix or MS tells you it isn’t worth the cost/effort. All this tells us, is that you don’t care.

To me, this is what is crucial for MAIN Halo games. If you do this every time, you’ll put all the odds in your favor.

Yo Sprinkles hire this man

Sephzilla

The smarky side of me wants to say "give it back to Bungie" but even Bungie isn't the same as Halo era Bungie anymore. My idea would be to cut things back and get things back to a more simple era like classic Halo.
  • Keep the story simple. Like Halo CE simple
  • The guys who handled Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer? Hire them

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Anyone that thought this design:

MCF18170-4_00.jpg

Needed to be changed into this:

Needs to be removed from making any decisions about anything in the Halo franchise ever again.

Booshka

Make it look like Halo.
Start out by ditching the current art style and go back to cleaner, bulkier shapes and a more "welcoming" appearance. Every other pebble and wall facade doesn't need to look angry. And generally, have less "stuff" everywhere. If that saves geometry budget, use it to re-implement split screen.
Go with a more natural white balance. Be more conservative with rendering techniques: cut back on things like overaggressive Fresnel when the use of area sources isn't accurate; if environmental shadows can't be stabilized, switch back to fully using lightmap data for direct light shadows, even if they're soft; if a post-process effect doesn't look smooth (like the screen-space blur near explosions), rip it out. Place graphical focus on stability and pleasantness.
Use color distinctively in enemy appearance.

Campaign wise, drop the ubiquitous squad gameplay. Trying to make everything work in all player-count cases didn't work. The squad behavior is janky in solo play, and designing for a full squad didn't result in real coop play not trivializing things. It also meant that you can't have "lonely" sections.
Better to design primarily around solo and just let coop be intrinsically easier, maybe tweaking some knobs to compensate and allowing players to use skulls if they want to challenge themselves.

Focus on making enemies expressive, evoking clear emotions that convey important gameplay information. Halo 1's Covenant should be the model here. This is one of the biggest issues with the Prometheans (and shouldn't be, given what they are!).

Equal starts with utility weapons is a very good thing, and should definitely continue to be a thing.

Post of the Thread so far.

If Halo 5 was enough of a Killer App like Halo CE was, I would have bought an Xbox One by now, Halo 5 is good, especially for MP, but it doesn't make the Xbone a console to own. Brutes and Prometheans made me check out of Halo Campaign, they are mediocre enemies, invented for variety, but they still don't match the ferocity and uniqueness of the original Halo CE Elites. It's pretty sad actually, fighting a Platinum Elite on Legendary in Halo CE is still one of the best combat encounters you can have in the Halo franchise.

Raide

loved the support Halo 5 has been given but the only logical choice is to either leave it for a while and fresh reboot it, or make the next games gone out on Xbox, Scorpio and Win 10. Just widen out that playerbase.

For one, make the visuals blow me away. I’m fed up of playing Halo games that just look above average while every other game that comes out at the same time, look incredible. Get your shit together and give me an amazing looking game. You’re Microsofts premiere developer working on their premiere franchise, fucking show us.

Speaking of Chief, I don’t wanna play as Arbiter, I don’t wanna play as Locke, I don’t wanna play as Buck, I wanna play as the mother fucking Master Chief. If this is a main Halo game, don’t give me this side show character to play as, I don’t want it and im not going to enjoy it. Didn’t like it in 2 and definitely don’t like it now. I want Chief, preferably with Cortana oh his side. Not as a lunatic AI that’s a shadow of her former self. Jesus.

Make it look like Halo.
Start out by ditching the current art style and go back to cleaner, bulkier shapes and a more "welcoming" appearance. Every other pebble and wall facade doesn't need to look angry. And generally, have less "stuff" everywhere. If that saves geometry budget, use it to re-implement split screen.
Go with a more natural white balance. Be more conservative with rendering techniques: cut back on things like overaggressive Fresnel when the use of area sources isn't accurate; if environmental shadows can't be stabilized, switch back to fully using lightmap data for direct light shadows, even if they're soft; if a post-process effect doesn't look smooth (like the screen-space blur near explosions), rip it out. Place graphical focus on stability and pleasantness.
Use color distinctively in enemy appearance.

Campaign wise, drop the ubiquitous squad gameplay. Trying to make everything work in all player-count cases didn't work. The squad behavior is janky in solo play, and designing for a full squad didn't result in real coop play not trivializing things. It also meant that you can't have "lonely" sections.
Better to design primarily around solo and just let coop be intrinsically easier, maybe tweaking some knobs to compensate and allowing players to use skulls if they want to challenge themselves.

Focus on making enemies expressive, evoking clear emotions that convey important gameplay information. Halo 1's Covenant should be the model here. This is one of the biggest issues with the Prometheans (and shouldn't be, given what they are!).

Equal starts with utility weapons is a very good thing, and should definitely continue to be a thing.

I agree with both.

Top Bottom