• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite passes Destiny 2 on Xbox's most played games list

gokurho

What you need to know​

• At the time of writing, Halo Infinite has passed Destiny 2 on the official list of most played Xbox games in the United States. Halo is now at #16, and Destiny is now #17.
  • Even though Destiny 2 is experiencing a bit of a rough patch, this nevertheless indicates that Halo Infinite is enjoying some improved success right now.
  • This is due to everything added in Season 5: Reckoning, including campaign AI in Forge, new maps, a new game mode, the ability to earn Battle Pass XP in Custom Games, and more.
  • Since its release in late 2021, Halo Infinite has struggled to keep players engaged with post-launch updates. The success of Season 5 suggests that things may finally be looking up, though.
At the time of writing, Halo Infinite has surpassed Bungie's space fantasy looter shooter Destiny 2 on the official most played Xbox games list in the United States, with the former at #16 and the latter now at #17. This is the first time I've seen this happen since the launch period for Microsoft and 343 Industries' live service FPS in late 2021, and it's indicative of the improved success that Halo Infinite is currently enjoying.
This is "engagement" 💍 🙅‍♂️💫

Last edited:

RedC

Baby Steps. Call of Duty next.
Baby Steps Dancing GIF

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Destiny 2 was released in September of 2017. Halo Infinite was released in November of 2021. It took Halo Infinite just over two years to dethrone a game that was released over four years prior to Halo Infinite launching. Additionally, Destiny 2 has been pretty harshly critizised as of late, and it has lost a lot of player engagement. If Halo Infinite is really on an upswing then provide actual numbers. Don't just compare it to a dwindling game and act like it's a success story. I know they touch on this in the article, but the entire headline is gotcha journalism.

Ozriel

M$FT
Halo is free to play

Didn’t realize destiny was free too

You imagine it became F2P only recently?

Destiny 2 was released in September of 2017. Halo Infinite was released in November of 2021. It took Halo Infinite just over two years to dethrone a game that was released over four years prior to Halo Infinite launching.

Counterstrike and Fortnite were released quite a while ago, and they’re still topping the most played games lists on PC and console respectively.

I think this article is premature, but you’re making an illogical argument here.

If Halo Infinite is really on an upswing then provide actual numbers.

They literally use a chart that’s ranked based on actual numbers of people playing. Changing chart positions can indicate upswings or downswings.

Not exactly rocket science.

Ar¢tos

After last week's announcement by Bungie, I'm not surprised.
I deleted the game after reading it, I'm sure many others stopped playing it too.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Can I just say I very much doubt this list? When I click the link there’s no actual numerical order to it either. Why not give us the player count?

Don’t believe for a second that there are more people playing Starfield than Rocket League, GTA online, Forza Horizon 5, EA FC 24.

On Steam where Starfield was actually bought by millions of people, the game is 88th on most played lists but I’m supposed to believe on Xbox it’s a different universe and timeline? Not falling for this bs lol

Ozriel

M$FT
Can I just say I very much doubt this list? When I click the link there’s no actual numerical order to it either. Why not give us the player count?

It’s a list, sorted on ‘most played’. Do you not know how filters work?

Don’t believe for a second that there are more people playing Starfield than Rocket League, GTA online, Forza Horizon 5, EA FC 24.

On Steam where Starfield was actually bought by millions of people, the game is 88th on most played lists but I’m supposed to believe on Xbox it’s a different universe and timeline? Not falling for this bs lol

There’s this thing called ‘GamePass’ that exists on console.

You really should put more thought into these things.

Mephisto40

It's been pretty clear for a while that Microsoft's own games are prioritized in the most played lists in some way

I think it has to be some sort of running total of people who have loaded the game at least once in the last X days or something. Steam numbers aren't great for games that are available elsewhere. Starfield indeed beats Rocket League there as well, but you haven't been able to get a copy of Rocket League on Steam since it went F2P-Epic-only years ago. Of course the Microsoft stuff is also available for sale elsewhere, and GamePass people won't show up on Steam.

"Why not give us the player count?", I think you know the answer, that would make it harder to spin their metrics. I'd almost suspect them of randomly changing the formulas driving that page but on second thought I'm guessing they're too lazy.

There's surely also an effect inflating exclusives a little bit as many multi-console gamers are going to be playing multiplatform games on their Playstations.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
The most played games list is not global but differs for each region. Heres Canada by the way
You can change regions in the bottom left.

It's been pretty clear for a while that Microsoft's own games are prioritized in the most played lists in some way
I'd almost suspect them of randomly changing the formulas driving that page
Its funny that "Xbox most played" list has been used as an argument against Microsoft first party games for so long. And now conveniently its being faked to prioritize to Microsoft first party games. Fanboys always jump at the chance to make a conspiracy and pat themselves on the back.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

After last week's announcement by Bungie, I'm not surprised.
I deleted the game after reading it, I'm sure many others stopped playing it too.
I stopped playing Destiny 2 one month after launch.

They took all the good things about D1 The Taken King and manage to still mess it up.

Anyway, different discussion, so carry on.

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

All the smug responses I'd expect!

Halo Infinite has become a Halo anthology, featuring all the best maps of yesteryear, the best sandbox ever, and endless rotating modes.

The MCC turnaround team is now in charge and it shows.
Wat?
Best way to play Halo now is through the MCC.
Infinite is a boring and unfun game to play

This desperation to get some "positive" metric is making oneself ridiculous, when after a few hours it is already a lie (and it is better not to look at the numbers on Steam...) where Destiny is much more played.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Wat?
Best way to play Halo now is through the MCC.
Infinite is a boring and unfun game to play
I think he meant that the guy who led the team who fixed MCC, Pierre Hintze is now the studio head

Last edited:

Dutchy

All the smug responses I'd expect!

Halo Infinite has become a Halo anthology, featuring all the best maps of yesteryear, the best sandbox ever, and endless rotating modes.

The MCC turnaround team is now in charge and it shows.
Halo Infinite has 1800 players online through steam right now.

2800 for MCC.

Best sandbox would mean there's plenty of stuff to interact with. Infinite is the most sterile Halo we've ever had in terms of sandbox.

Remade maps mean jack shit when they have to compensate for abilities and sprint.

And not to mention the game is a lifeless grey mesh of "spartan training simulator" maps.

Why would I want once-standard game modes to be on a rotation? Seems more like a player count problem to me, if anything.

Dynasty8

Most players are in PlayStation and Steam. By tomorrow D2 will easily jump somewhere in the top 5-10 ranking too for Xbox alone.

Ozriel

M$FT

2800 for MCC.

Best sandbox would mean there's plenty of stuff to interact with. Infinite is the most sterile Halo we've ever had in terms of sandbox.

Eh. People who actually play it seem to be having fun. Both here and on the Halo subreddit.

I’m not convinced monitoring Steam charts is the best way to determine ‘fun’.

Remade maps mean jack shit when they have to compensate for abilities and sprint.

Are you really regurgitating arguments from 2018 here? 😂😂😂
Infinite’s all about enhanced mobility. The fanbase has synced with that. Hard to complain about sprint when there’s a bloody grappling hook that everyone loves.

And not to mention the game is a lifeless grey mesh of "spartan training simulator" maps.

That’s not an apt description of how the MP looks now. At all.

Ogbert

That tells you how bad D2 is right now, rather than how well Infinite is doing.

That’s not snark. I hope Infinite continues to develop and becomes brilliant.

But fuck me Destiny is boring at the moment.

Beechos

Wow color me surprised. Whats next redfall making a comeback? I actually wouldn't be surprised with all the recent patches and it being on sale for $10.

FireFly

2800 for MCC.

Why would I want once-standard game modes to be on a rotation? Seems more like a player count problem to me, if anything.
1.) According to Steam charts MCC had 3,460 players online on average over the last 30 days while Infinite had 5,838.4 players.
2.) The intitial maps were "spartan training simulator" style maps, while the new maps have almost all been "Halo installation" style, focussing on a Halo 1 and Delta Halo style aesthetic.
3.) The core social game modes are not on a rotation. Rotational playlists are mainly reserved for ranked play and the featured "event" (currently Halo 3 Refueled).

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
You imagine it became F2P only recently?

Counterstrike and Fortnite were released quite a while ago, and they’re still topping the most played games lists on PC and console respectively.

I think this article is premature, but you’re making an illogical argument here.

You're free to dislike my argument, but it isn't illogical. I don't like hit pieces. This was a hit piece. It's there to artificially inflate the success of Halo Infinite.

They literally use a chart that’s ranked based on actual numbers of people playing. Changing chart positions can indicate upswings or downswings.

Not exactly rocket science.

Where are you seeing this? Are you referring to the Steam chart that show an increase in average players from around 3,500 to around 5,500 each month? If so, that's not an overwhelming success. I am not seeing any other chart listed, and if you think that's a success that deserves a braggadocios article then you're out of your mind. The link saying that Halo Infinite was ranked 16 and Destiny 2 was ranked 17 doesn't show numbers. Also, Destiny 2 is now higher than Halo Infinite again.

If I'm missing another chart in this article, feel free to show me. But keep your condescending fanboyish comments out of any reply. If I am wrong you should easily be able to disprove it. Instead you elected to passive-aggressively insinuate that I'm not intelligent enough to read what's been provided. Just post a direct quote or screenshot to disprove me and I'll change my tune. There is no need to be a condescending cock.

DaGwaphics

Bigger news, Destiny 2 being down that far on the chart, does it often fall that far away from the other evergreens?

Ozriel

M$FT
You're free to dislike my argument, but it isn't illogical. I don't like hit pieces. This was a hit piece. It's there to artificially inflate the success of Halo Infinite.

What is this a ‘hit piece’ against? The argument also doesn’t try to paint Infinite as a sterling success…just that there’s an upswing to the extent that it’s not far off one of the popular MP mainstays.

Is it premature? yes it is. Charts show it’s gone back one place behind Destiny. But ‘hit piece’?

Where are you seeing this? Are you referring to the Steam chart that show an increase in average players from around 3,500 to around 5,500 each month? If so, that's not an overwhelming success. I am not seeing any other chart listed, and if you think that's a success that deserves a braggadocios article then you're out of your mind. The link saying that Halo Infinite was ranked 16 and Destiny 2 was ranked 17 doesn't show numbers. Also, Destiny 2 is now higher than Halo Infinite again.

If I'm missing another chart in this article, feel free to show me. But keep your condescending fanboyish comments out of any reply. If I am wrong you should easily be able to disprove it. Instead you elected to passive-aggressively insinuate that I'm not intelligent enough to read what's been provided. Just post a direct quote or screenshot to disprove me and I'll change my tune. There is no need to be a condescending cock.

The article specifically says ‘Xbox games most played list in the U.S.’ and there’s a direct link to a chart showing most played games Xbox chart. How in the world are you talking about Steam?

Here’s the link from the article, and even visibly reproduced in the OP

StueyDuck

I've heard from my old D2 buddies the game is a mess.

But what on earth even is that article 🤣, this is games media.

How is the industry so shit at covering games

IFireflyl

Gold Member
What is this a ‘hit piece’ against? The argument also doesn’t try to paint Infinite as a sterling success…just that there’s an upswing to the extent that it’s not far off one of the popular MP mainstays.

Is it premature? yes it is. Charts show it’s gone back one place behind Destiny. But ‘hit piece’?

PlayStation's IP versus Xbox's IP. That's the only reason to compare Halo Infinite to Destiny 2. It's Windows Central trying to show how amazing Microsoft is, and the only reason for this article is that they were comparing a Microsoft IP to a non-Microsoft IP. C'mon man.

The article specifically says ‘Xbox games most played list in the U.S.’ and there’s a direct link to a chart showing most played games Xbox chart. How in the world are you talking about Steam?

And again, that link doesn't show any numbers. Which was the entire purpose of my post which you decided to trash by saying I was being illogical. Keep up with conversation that you started.

Three

Have you seen the US list? Halo is behind Destiny 2. This is just one of those Jez Corden land Windows Central articles trying to make Halo Infinite happen much like the one before about the season bump on steam. Now it's dropped back to roughly what it was doing before, the lowly 3k mark.

Last edited:

Dutchy

love actually spin GIF

Not a particular creative spin, but a spin nonetheless. Bravo
I hope there's gonna be another thread when Halo Infinite reaches the next milestone: 3000+ players online :messenger_sunglasses: Would be even better if the game it beats just happens to be on it's longest content drought so far.
Infinite’s all about enhanced mobility. The fanbase has synced with that.
What fanbase? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Rest of your post is, unfortunately, gibberish. Like straight from someone who has never played the game and obviously just wants to complain for the sake of complaining. Most likely just cannot stand Xbox IP's getting shit on.

Did you really just say: ''Why sprint when there's a grapple hook to love?'' I will give you, a couple hours to re-read that statement and give you one solid chance to come back at me with why that is an asinine statement that perfectly fits the description of someone who knows jack shit about the game.

Player base? You're hardly their target audience my man. You should join Sennin in the psych ward.

Top Bottom