• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobody is playing Halo Infinite on Steam as player numbers drop to 2% of launch peak

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I have this image saved, its the word map for why people voted for Halo Infinite in NeoGAF for GOTY.

vs3B81I.jpg

My favorite reason people voted for Halo is "coop" something that was not added until well over a year later.

GAF literally votes on the promise that Halo would become a good game as a live service title, not what was actually delivered, it pissed me off at the time and still does.

You can just whip this image out anytime GAF is accused of being full of only Sony fans, this shit was just Unreal... Forza got robbed that year.

Last edited:

twilo99

FPS games these days need a BR mode otherwise they die within a few months.

With the exception of Counter Strike, that game is just different. Can’t wait to see what CS2 brings.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Well, they never fixed the network and connectivity issues, and the population is now so low that the match making is, effectively, broken for everyone other than US players. No one can play even they wanted to. They'll do a re-launch with their Battle Royale next year, but if the networking issues aren't resolved, the "Fuck 343i" narrative will just get another chapter as the industry's worst studio continues being the industry's worst studio.
You mean over explaining why their netcode is so bad in a blog post didn't fix it?

I can't even get that excited about a BR coming out 5+ years after the trend no matter how it's branded.

BlackTron

Well now I feel like the weird one because I still play a few matches almost daily (but on Xbox). The only thing that slowed me down was Zelda coming out but Halo is back in the rotation. It's not perfect and leaves some things to be desired, but its a fun game that scratches my multiplayer FPS itch. Graphics style is pleasing to the eye, vehicles are fun, easy way to press 1 button and get 2 big teams duking it on a big map. One thing though is that I ignore completely the cosmetics and progression system. Never cared about it. To me it's just a free Halo game. May as well be old original Xbox's that you LAN up with no reward whatsoever. You played it just to have fun no other reason.

I should fight my laziness to find another FPS though.

FireFly

You mean over explaining why their netcode is so bad in a blog post didn't fix it?

I can't even get that excited about a BR coming out 5+ years after the trend no matter how it's branded.
They did make changes during season 3 to try to reduce desync.

MagnesD3

Whats really sad is the grappling hook physic fun it the open world was excellent, it screams please make a new ip and focus on that instead of this halo game you cant make.

Last edited:
imagine this happening to WoW, Overwatch and fucking CoD.

the scary thing is that is actually can happen under MS
Lmao no. Halo itself just doesn’t seem to interest anyone anymore. Those other games wouldn’t change under MS. 343 was poorly built as a new studio to handle Halo.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

How well would people take an AA Halo game not featuring Master Chief ?

I say repair the franchise a bit and bite small if you can't manage for shit 343.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How well would people take an AA Halo game not featuring Master Chief ?

I say repair the franchise a bit and bite small if you can't manage for shit 343.
Halo: ODST

I personally didn't care for it because of no MC. And that was with the Bungie pedigree developing it, let alone a less capable 343.

While Reach was not MC, at least it still was a Spartan.

Last edited:
I told people the game will fail way before it even released and they told me I was trolling. Infinite is a call of duty ripoff and not a real Halo game, people will just play the actual real COD if they want that experience.

FireFly

I told people the game will fail way before it even released and they told me I was trolling. Infinite is a call of duty ripoff and not a real Halo game, people will just play the actual real COD if they want that experience.
Based on the TTK and style of weaponry Halo Infinite seems much closer to Unreal Tournament to me. About half the weapons have no conventional equivalents (area of effect shield denial and homing grenades, bouncing flechettes, handguns shooting arcing rounds, a bolt based sniper rifle etc).

Last edited:

Banned
Based on the TTK and style of weaponry Halo Infinite seems much closer to Unreal Tournament to me. About half the weapons have no conventional equivalents (area of effect shield denial and homing grenades, bouncing flechettes, handguns shooting arcing rounds, a bolt based sniper rifle etc).

the issue is how they made the base movement feel like a generic modern shooter instead of doing something that fits Halo.

"shooters now have a sprint button, so gotta have a sprint button.

shooters now let you pull yourself up ledges, so gotta have that.

shooters now let you slide out of a sprint, gonna have that as well of course!

MP shooters don't have friendly fire these days, so friendly fire has to go off.

modern shooters all have battle passes, so we also gonna have battle passes!

modern shooters launch with barely any modes and maps, and then dripfeed everything after launch, so we gonna do that exactly like them!
"

that is Halo Infinite. they took the skeleton of Halo 3, and pressed it into a Frankenstein's monster meat body that has stitched together parts of every generic modern shooter trope.

"grenade jumps? call of duty doesn't have grenade jumps! take them out! and throw rocket jumps out with them as well!"

and then they launched it without any form of coop for the campaign, they eventually released online coop and canceled the promised splitscreen coop even tho it's almost perfectly playable already, even on base Xbox One, with only weird, often visual, glitches really making it feel unfinished...

they launched without a Team Slayer playlist, the mode that's by far the most popular in every Halo.
they launched without Infection, AGAIN, which only released officially this season (custom game modes did already exist tho).

Noone at 343i has even remotely an idea what Halo is or what made it popular in the first place.
the game basically had ZERO community features at launch... a fucking Halo game. the game series that made map sharing, video sharing, Screenshot sharing and game mode sharing popular on console... none of that at launch.

they still to this day have no pre-game and post-game lobby system, which originally wasn't in the game because thes used TrueSkill 2 as their matchmaking system. a system literally programmed to manipulate match outcomes, and with it player behaviour.
can't have a lobby system where you can stay with the same players if the game wants you to lose your next match by giving you awful teammates and really strong enemies on purpose!

btw. the same is happening in CoD Modern Warfare 2, which is why that game also doesn't have game lobbies anymore. gotta manipulate that win ratio!

so on the surface you might see a slower TTK and some "crazy" weapon types, but if you look beneath the surface, it's just generic modern shooter puzzle pieces with a Halo paintjob.
it's like a Halo mod for CoD.
the times where you played Infection and made a human ladder in order to get on top of a tower where the zombies had a hard time getting you are over... that Halo is dead... replaced with one where you can't even collide with your team mates, let alone do creative things like trick jumps using nade launchers or explosives... now it's just SPAWN > SPRINT > SHOOT > DIE > REPEAT.

and don't get me started on how they absolutely ruined big team beyond what anyone could have imagined.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I have this image saved, its the word map for why people voted for Halo Infinite in NeoGAF for GOTY.

vs3B81I.jpg

My favorite reason people voted for Halo is "coop" something that was not added until well over a year later.

GAF literally votes on the promise that Halo would become a good game as a live service title, not what was actually delivered, it pissed me off at the time and still does.

You can just whip this image out anytime GAF is accused of being full of only Sony fans, this shit was just Unreal... Forza got robbed that year.
Wait. Graphics?

What goalposts have I moved? Since 2020 Microsoft have developed and/or published nearly 30 games. Microsoft didn't build most of the studios they acquired.
oh yisus....🤦.

1. this thread is about Halo Infinite losing 98% of its player base.

2. I said that this could happen to WoW,CoD, and Overwatch under MS. What is "this"? :

the mismanagement of IP and incompetence at game Development (as a publisher)

3. You equate the current state of Halo due to 'lost in Interest" and because 343 was a poorly build studio....

and i ask (rhetorically)...Is Halo infinite 343's first halo game ever?

point is: Halo current state is due to the systematic mismanagement and incompetence of previous games which damaged the Halo IP.

4. I said MS/Xbox's track record (mismanagement and incompetence of Released games)

and for some reason, you try to 🏃🏻🥅🏃🏻

"Most of the studios have released games. Nothing stopped them"

i am not talking about the games that have not released.

"Microsoft doesn't step into their development cycles".

MS is the publisher. if a game has poor development...is on them to step in. (your point shouldn't be something that excuses MS)

Fable: they mishandled the IP making games that didn't talk to the core audience. Now. point a 📌 in fable legends.

Crackdown: The first one is still considered as the best one....think about that. and 3, was a shitshow in term of development and as a final product.

Gears: Complete stagnation of a franchise that has lost his luster.

Project Dark: They bought the developer and IP of a previously highly regarded game by the critics (90+Meta) and made a lesser sequel.

Banjo-Kazooie: Pretty much the same as PD. A worse iteration under MS. in both instances sending the IPs to the shadow realm.

Alan Wake > Quantum Break: A dev that takes way too much time to make games a yet under MS they didnt improve at all QB had a worse reception than AW. And Funny enough, Control took less time to develop and got a higher MC score..and it had a better word of mouth.

Redfall: 📌 This is where the lessons learned from Fable Legends should have come into play. A single-player studio Pivoting to a multiplayer game (lionhead) ending in complete disaster. MS showed that they didn't learn from that mistake to help Arcane/Bethesda.

and of course Halo. wich is well documented why they failed....MS policies being a big factor.

So. yeah....the odds of MS fucking those Acti-Blizz IPs up, are quite high because once a mergerer of this scale (and as you can look up) is followed by layoffs, people leaving, culture clash, power vaccums etc..

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
good for 5 hours, after that everything becomes incredibly repetitive in the most pointless and empty open world ever seen in a game.
whole thing screams “fucked up production” and “cut content”
Even 5 hours was 4.5 hours too many for me.

I nopped out in 27 minutes; that's all I could manage. I want to smoke what people say, "at least the gameplay is 10/10 fun," are smoking. The whole game left a lot to be desired for me -- being a flagship premiere IP.

fooiGt2.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Even 5 hours was 4.5 hours too many for me.

I nopped out in 27 minutes; that's all I could manage. I want to smoke what people say, "at least the gameplay is 10/10 fun," are smoking. The whole game left a lot to be desired for me -- being a flagship premiere IP.

fooiGt2.jpg
And then I jump into the finally competent (want to know that the reviewers at the time were smoking) MCC and have infinitely more fun in the single play campaigns.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
not like it ever had a following.. its been in the double and single digits since a month after launch.

How in the world did that win, was it just a combo Hopium and Hypium. The grappling hook in the campaign was really cool but that entire game didn't hold a candle to the old ones..
It's a great game, some of the best fps combat ever. Just a poorly supported GAAS.

All Battle Passes can be purchased for $10 and progressed in anytime.

If the game had no instore mtx it would be the best GaaS in the market
Thier seasons just kind of suck, the implementation of events and seasons are good, the content itself is just boring. People clown Fortnite and COD for their the boys or anime events, but they draw people in. If halo did like a gundam event, or a "the expanse" event it would be more compelling to many people.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Thier seasons just kind of suck, the implementation of events and seasons are good, the content itself is just boring. People clown Fortnite and COD for their the boys or anime events, but they draw people in. If halo did like a gundam event, or a "the expanse" event it would be more compelling to many people.

As soon as they realized the game didnt live to expectations they cut all of funding.

I will probably be quitting after S4

Vox Machina

Banned
All Battle Passes can be purchased for $10 and progressed in anytime.

If the game had no instore mtx it would be the best GaaS in the market

I don't mind an in-game store as long as there are cosmetics that can be earned outside of it. But yes, Halo's approach to Battle Passes is industry-leading. I have all but Season 2's complete and I'm working on that one now, during Season 4 (completed S4's BP couple of days ago). It's very consumer-friendly and I hope Xbox applies that standard to ActiBlizz's Battle Pass systems going forward.

Draugoth

Gold Member
I don't mind an in-game store as long as there are cosmetics that can be earned outside of it. But yes, Halo's approach to Battle Passes is industry-leading.

The problem with mtx is that they will cut content that could be free to sell as overpriced bundles in the shop, 70% of the cosmetics in the game need to be purchased.

Last edited:

Vox Machina

Banned

The problem with doing that is Halo "fans" would throw a huge shitfit (once again playing themselves). It's such an impossible community to please because "Halo" means different things to different people. There are people who, to this day, decry any cosmetics that aren't VERY strictly "in-universe".

The problem with mtx is that they will cut content that could be free to sell as overpriced bundles in the shop, 70% of the cosmetics in the game need to be purchased.

Content should generally cost money. Dev's should be paid more. And yes, cosmetics are content. It's art that artists have to make and model, designers and devs have to implement, and that UI/UX has to present to the user in cohesive ways. The game itself is free.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Almost at 500 hours on Steam (played the Campaign via Xbox PC App/Game Pass).

Fantastic game that had a rough launch.

Rough launch? It had a rough fucking year

Many of the basic features that shouldve been in at launch (like forge, level selection, CO-OP) we had to wait for until season 3 (one full year after release)

And thats not even getting in the game design issues like desync or lack of collision or battlepass implementation (specifically how it feels like 70% of each battle pass is just swaps and xp boosts)

I wont say it hasnt improved at all, but honestly it went from straight-up shit to mediocre, not exactly a big jump.

Top Bottom