• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Blames Pirates For Console-First Development

Mael said:
Let me get this straight, you really believe that Epic making Unreal Engine 3 for the xbox 360 has all to do with piracy and NOTHING to do with :
- partnership with MSFT?
- getting a middleware for the then 'nextgen' consoles where multiple times concerns over whether a working middleware was essential or not for game making?
- making the middleware that could be used for nearly all console games like renderware was used the gen before?

I mean are you for real?

Dude are u stupid? I said their in it to make money with less piracy at the same time and consoles right now does that for them. Selective reading anyone? They say piracy yes, but they also having nothing against charging 20$ for map packs. So Its a win-win for them.

Silly.Mikey said:
They never said it was doomed. They just think that they way the PC is now doesn't work anymore for them, and they're right.

They said Farmville is the future of PC gaming. Did you not read the article to see the words coming out of this guys gloryhole?

Mael

Silly.Mikey said:
Dude are u stupid? I said their in it to make money with less piracy at the same time and consoles right now does that for them. Selective reading anyone? They say piracy yes, but they also having nothing against charging 20$ for map packs. So Its a win-win for them.

You're telling me then that piracy played a part intheir decision when everything point to the contrary then?
Do you know the main competitor epic had at the time?
Renderware guess which middleware made a fuckton of money because they proved to be working like a charm on console?
renderware

guess who wanted that pile of money renderware made

Epic

so Epic make a partnership with msft so they gain access to msft ressources and make a game that proves Epic's product is the one to use to get that pile of money.

Piracy or no piracy, Epic would not have made GoW on pc anyway, simply because making GoW on pc would have made the 360 release redundant (you think the eventual release via msft brand GFW is a coincidence too?).

Seriously you have a better patience for BS than I if you believe that piracy had anything to do with why and how they made UE3 and GoW

Silly.Mikey said:
I didn't say only PC games get patched moron, i said thats they way its always been. They've always had a launch now, fix later mentality. But all of a sudden, everyone hates Epic cause they decided to focus more on console gaming where its easier to make money and where theres less piracy. Can u blame them? U think they make games just for ur happiness?
I think thats it more that we are annoyed at them judging the pc without really trying to be succesful on the platform.

CecilRousso said:
I think thats it more that we are annoyed at them judging the pc without really trying to be succesful on the platform.

If Gears of War is all they've got then they aren't going to be successful on the PC platform. BobsRevenge stated the difference between console gamers and PC gamers perfectly. PC gamers will put up with bugs and jankyness. What they are not interested in is a shallow plotless game.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Silly.Mikey said:
They never said it was doomed. They just think that they way the PC is now doesn't work anymore for them, and they're right. Right now consoles are a more sure thing for make $$ and has less piracy.
What they said was that facebook games and shit were going to save PC gaming. Might as well be calling it doomed. :lol

First of all, it doesn't need to be saved, and second of all, games like Gears get released on it all the time.

edit: and dude, chill on the personal insults.

Mael

Just to be clear my claim is simple :
If the management at Epic considered piracy when they were deciding what to do before the whole Msft deal, they're some of the most incompetent people to ever be in charge of a company and I'm dead serious.

I wonder how much of the 360's consumer base consists of past PC gamers as opposed to traditionally console only gamers. Anecdotally you always hear about 360 gamers talking about how they used to be PC gamers before the xbox and that hardware costs/software issues made them switch to console. I think the fact that MS has consolidated a significant portion of PC gamers onto a closed platform has way more effect on sales than piracy ever did or will.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
ymmv said:
Once again, the "piracy is a victimless crime" argument.

It's true that not every pirated game is a lost sale. Pirates can get their hands on every single game out there so they often become collectors who amass a great number of games but play and enjoy only a very small selection of games. Most of those games will get 30-60 minutes of playtime and are then sent to the recycle bin. But it's also true that pirates are lost customers because only a very small number of pirates buy a copy of they games they do enjoy playing. Of course the pirate still has a good explanation why they were entitled to a free copy: "The game was too expensive!" Or "I only buy games with hundreds of hours of gameplay. This game was a load of crap because I finished it in only 20 hours!"
Many people repeatedly pay $60 for the same experience on console. Just replace "recycle bin" with "Gamestop" or (even better for publishers) "the closet".

Gully State said:
I wonder how much of the 360's consumer base consists of past PC gamers as opposed to traditionally console only gamers. Anecdotally you always hear about 360 gamers talking about how they used to be PC gamers before the xbox and that hardware costs/software issues made them switch to console. I think the fact that MS has consolidated a significant portion of PC gamers onto a closed platform has way more effect on sales than piracy ever did or will.
I'm a ex-360 owner who switch to PC.

TheYanger

Mael said:
Copy protection scheme? They were laughably weak, Metal Gear Solid lasted 2 days, and I don't mean 2 days to find the crack of the web, I mean 2 days for a friend to advertise that his copy worked :lol
Let's not even talk about something like the DC....
What are you talking about? Cause I was sure as shit talking about PC games prior to the internet, y'know like code wheels and crap. You want to quote me at least understand what I'm saying.

You didn't even need to dl the bloody game! you rent it or now someone who have it, dump on the comp, and burn. People were downloading songs off Napster at the time, not games.
Thank you for making my point for me. People were not downloading games extensively at this time, and this was a period when PC game sales to the enthusiast market were extremely good. GEE THAT CONNECTION WAS HARD TO GRASP!

And before they entered the console market, the pc devs were not dealing with console games.
Heck they was barely a massive influx in console dev in Europe when the ps1 hit (mostly due to Sony's less strict distribution model)
The publishers were dealing with console games, at least some of them. There was plenty of development for all platforms because there was money in all of them. You're right, a lot of PC devs ignored consoles...because you could afford to. There were ALWAYS ports in both directions though, don't kid yourself.

That doesn't mean it would have sold significantly more if there wasn't piracy at all!
It just means there's that much people interested in playing it but not interested enough to pay for the game. You're basically saying that 1dl = 1 lost sale,
well try something :
try to sell places to the cinema then offer it for free, I tell you there's people that have no interest in even watching the films that will show up when you'll give free tickets.
Heck I'd probably go watch Portal if it was free!

No fucking shit 1 DL != 1 sale. Where the shit do you think I said that? However if even say...5%, of all people who illegally download a product would've bought it, that's a HUGE number of lost sales regardless. You can thus effectively say every 50 copies is about the same as one stolen copy in terms of lost profit. And I think 5% is a pretty generous estimate to be honest. I'd peg it closer to 10 personally.

I'd like to add that regardless of ease of use, when I'm talking about piracy in the ps1 days I'm not speaking of the savvy people that know where to seek stuff and all,
it was more like the DS where even a child of 10 with no computer knowledge was actually not paying for his games.
And again on pc the publishers made sure that people were trained to go to the crackers site anyway. compare Spore with the Sims3 for example, guess which one got pirated more and which one sold the most?

"Made" you make it sound like PC devs started putting annoying DRM on stuff prior to piracy, thus sending people to pirate sites. Are you kidding me? What the fuck are you smoking. The PS1 days of piracy were not REMOTELY the same as the DS. You said it yourself, people were not downloading games very commonly, internet connections weren't up for it for most people, file sharing wasn't as common for large files, and torrents didn't exist yet off the top of my head. You had to know your friend with a copy, have a burner, have the ability to rip an iso and then burn it intelligently, AND you still needed a hardware modification on your system. You compare it to the DS, where you literally just plug in an SD card to an R4? Get out of here with that shit, the DS sees piracy like that because of how accessible it is, the PS1 was NOT. The PS1 is more along the lines of the 360, where yes there's piracy, but it's just too much work for your average user so it remains marginalized.

In terms of ease: Console piracy <<<< DS/PSP Piracy (Basically downloading and putting on a memory card) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< PC Piracy. I don't see how you can argue this. PC Piracy is literally the equivilent of if you could go on your PS3, type in a game name, and click 'steal' and then a few hours later you can play it. You can just be browsing and go 'oh that game sounds fun' and click over to a torrent site and download it. There's not even an investment of mental intent here, you can casually download games the same way you might decide to impulse buy some M&Ms at a grocery checkout.

Dirtyboy

Banned
DRM has been around on the PC forever.

Those that are old enough *cough* remember the days of code wheels, "please enter the first word in the third paragraph of page 3", decoders you had to hold up to screen to "see" codewords, etc..

TheYanger said:
How does that justify piracy still?

Slow down there, hoss. :lol

Look at the title of the thread and the OP. Now stop and think about one topic they potentially inspire discussion of -- why have PC games and game sales largely migrated to consoles? Epic cites piracy -- so I established a few facts about the actual reasons underlying this shift -- when it happened, what else was going on in the industry when it happened, and how it's demonstrably had a far larger impact on the trend of PC game sales than piracy (which has literally been rampant and completely unstoppable at every single moment from the birth of home-computer gaming in the early 80s to today, thirty years later.)

This line of the discussion has nothing at all to do with "justifying" piracy and everything to do with addressing the factual claim in the OP and the reasons the PC gaming market declined and has recently shifted towards a fairly different type of market that Epic is ill-suited to succeeding in.

subversus said:
edit: heh, they closed the shop in 2007. Somebody wanted an example of an independent dev being killed by piracy? Here you go.

It's funny because in the course of that interview, the guy talks about how any DRM stronger than Steam is pointless and self-defeating, identifies other problems including the challenge of configuring and maintaining a gaming rig as equal to piracy in terms of making PC gaming undesirable, and talks about how the gaming business model is so bad that even minor costs on top of that

(It's not quite as funny how you disingenuously blame piracy for Ritual getting bought out rather than, y'know, their setting out on an "episodic" game structure that they were completely incapable of keeping up with, while releasing literally zero other products at the same time.)

TheYanger said:
The market clearly DID exist though, you act like PC games didn't sell fabulously, even high end ones, before piracy became so widespread.

I feel like I'm talking to kids here. I'm not actually that old, am I? :lol

There is no time before piracy became widespread in the PC world. It was widespread the day the industry was birthed and nothing the PC industry has ever done has changed that.

TheYanger

No, it was POSSIBLE, it was not 'widespread'. There's a big difference. That's what most of you jackoffs seem to not understand. It's like saying suicide is a widespread problem, because it's possible and people do it, but the ratios are very small.

You're right, having been around computers almost my entire life (Been exposed to computers and consoles both since 1982), I'm clearly a 'kid' who doesn't remember that games did in fact sell plenty well. I even 'pirated' things on tapes, but you still had to know someone who had it, had to copy their little code wheels and shit, it was a hassle, I owned just as many if not more legitimate games, purely because of this. I would guess your average PC pirate today owns less than 5% of the games they've played.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Software piracy has been going on since pirating BASIC was gonna kill the software industry. And each time should cries have surfaced, software development (including games) trucks on just fine.

TheYanger said:
No, it was POSSIBLE, it was not 'widespread'.

It really was. If you think otherwise you really have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. The mechanisms were different -- you had people copying every game they got their hands on and swapping with friends instead of downloading 0-day releases from torrent sites -- but the underlying facts were very much the same: you'd have a few skilled hackers actually breaking copy-protection schemes, and then a huge quantity of casual pirates extensively copying and playing their cracked games.

I'm clearly a 'kid' who doesn't remember that games did in fact sell plenty well.

facepalm.gif

No shit games used to sell plenty well. That is, indeed, more or less the entirety of my point: piracy was equally widespread and equally decried as the inevitable, immediate doom of the software industry twenty years ago, which is why claims that it has only magically begun to have an effect now sound so ridiculous.

if console games make so much profit, how come hardware sales have been dropping like a stone these past few months?

show me where it says that the PC can't sell games. did they count steam? direct2drive? impulse? GOG? and other download services i'm forgetting?
and by the way, since PC development cost far less than console development, you can make your money back fairly quickly with less sales than a console game (and let's not forget not having to pay licensing fees to develop for the consoles)

only reason epic switched to consoles was to sell their engine and make more money off of it. there is far more money to be made there than in trying to make and successfully sell millions of copies of a game on a console.

so once again, another thread where FUD about the PC is spread. typical of this forum.

Mael

TheYanger said:
What are you talking about? Cause I was sure as shit talking about PC games prior to the internet, y'know like code wheels and crap. You want to quote me at least understand what I'm saying.

Wait we weren't talking about copy protection schemes on console?
Cause sure as hell that's what my post is all about :
how console games had multiple types of copy protections that Sony hillariously decided wasn't so important unti late in the game

TheYanger said:
Thank you for making my point for me. People were not downloading games extensively at this time, and this was a period when PC game sales to the enthusiast market were extremely good. GEE THAT CONNECTION WAS HARD TO GRASP!

I'm totally not making your point, I'm saying that at the time piracy was widespread like no tomorrow on consoles it had little to no effect, what connection is there?

TheYanger said:
The publishers were dealing with console games, at least some of them. There was plenty of development for all platforms because there was money in all of them. You're right, a lot of PC devs ignored consoles...because you could afford to. There were ALWAYS ports in both directions though, don't kid yourself.

And you can thank MSFT for actively pushing the xbox brand for the more widespread move from pc dev to console.
Their hold on the OS business is there and solidified by the whole gaming aspect of the OS, they saw a threat in the whole Sony trying to own the living room (Sony said as much) and decided to take Sony down on the console market to wipe the threat (MSFT are paranoiac and that's a good thing for a business, heck how they managed to get that monopoly in the first place was kinda because of that).
Heck the whole Windows CE into the Dreamcast was their 1rst entry into the console market where they learned many things.
And since there was hardly any point in trying to convince console devs that their untested console was the way to make & sell exclusive games they brought pc devs in (ie Epic most notably).
There was always more money in the handheld business than in the console business anyway and that doesn't make all devs go handheld only, you've got to have a wwindow of opportunity for that, which MSFT & Sony provided.

TheYanger said:
No fucking shit 1 DL != 1 sale. Where the shit do you think I said that? However if even say...5%, of all people who illegally download a product would've bought it, that's a HUGE number of lost sales regardless. You can thus effectively say every 50 copies is about the same as one stolen copy in terms of lost profit. And I think 5% is a pretty generous estimate to be honest. I'd peg it closer to 10 personally.

That's the same idea though, what makes you think that someone who pirated a copy didn't buy it after?
How can you know that and do you have any data to backit up or do you intend to invent numbers as you go along?

TheYanger said:
"Made" you make it sound like PC devs started putting annoying DRM on stuff prior to piracy, thus sending people to pirate sites. Are you kidding me? What the fuck are you smoking. The PS1 days of piracy were not REMOTELY the same as the DS. You said it yourself, people were not downloading games very commonly, internet connections weren't up for it for most people, file sharing wasn't as common for large files, and torrents didn't exist yet off the top of my head. You had to know your friend with a copy, have a burner, have the ability to rip an iso and then burn it intelligently, AND you still needed a hardware modification on your system.

Do you really think there is no shop that provided and even advertised the chip modification?
You didn't even need to know anyone since you could always walk into the street and get someone who wanted to sell you cd and other stuffs, you overstate how hard it was to get it on.

TheYanger said:
You compare it to the DS, where you literally just plug in an SD card to an R4? Get out of here with that shit, the DS sees piracy like that because of how accessible it is, the PS1 was NOT. The PS1 is more along the lines of the 360, where yes there's piracy, but it's just too much work for your average user so it remains marginalized.

:lol :lol :lol :lol
No shop in the street provide any modification of any system right, they don't even sell r4 as it is.
You can also get you 360 kicked out fo one of its major feature for any modification on it,
you compare that to a system where you could to a GAME shop get the modification done and voila with NO downside at all.
You're telling ME that I'm ridiculous?

TheYanger said:
In terms of ease: Console piracy <<<< DS/PSP Piracy (Basically downloading and putting on a memory card) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< PC Piracy. I don't see how you can argue this. PC Piracy is literally the equivilent of if you could go on your PS3, type in a game name, and click 'steal' and then a few hours later you can play it. You can just be browsing and go 'oh that game sounds fun' and click over to a torrent site and download it. There's not even an investment of mental intent here, you can casually download games the same way you might decide to impulse buy some M&Ms at a grocery checkout.
It's nowhere near as easy you point it out,
you need the cracks make sure the drivers don't get their panties in a bunch over how the thing is coded.
You still get to deal with all the shit and hoops you'll always have on pc.
And even then most of the pirates wouldn't even game on their pc if they couldn't get it for free.

It's the whole used game business logic here,
you've got publishers and all that don't get into the action of used games/download distribution, they moan and cry about it and blame the customers when they could just have done what Valve did or even buy back the games from the customers if they really had a problem with the used game business.

And btw the r4 had a predecessor for the gba that was even easier to use, nobody blamed poor sales on the whole piracy stuff either.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Not nearly as much as conventional discs. Steam games are much more successful than games not releasing on Steam - i've seen the data.

Can I also see this data? (not saying I dont agree, i just want to see the real data on how steam sales compare to conventional discs)

charlequin said:
It really was. If you think otherwise you really have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
But it's not like you have data that supports your opinion that piracy has always been equally widespread.

It's funny how, whenever piracy is named as a reason for a drop of sales by developers or publishers, whether it's PC gaming or DS sales, gamers always reject piracy as a valid reason or try to minimalise it. Why? These people can actually measure piracy rate numbers. They have the data and no reason to lie.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
show me where it says that the PC can't sell games. did they count steam? direct2drive? impulse? GOG? and other download services i'm forgetting?

No one has any sources for that. People just assume that PC games aren´t selling, and developers assume that if it wouldn´t been for piracy their game would have sold much more. Why their game sold much less than other games that was just as much a victim of piracy as theirs, that´s a question they don´t want to answer, at least not in public.

Mael

M°°nblade said:
But it's not like you have data that supports your opinion that piracy has always been equally widespread.

It's funny how, whenever piracy is named as a reason for a drop of sales by developers or publishers, whether it's PC gaming or DS sales, gamers always reject piracy as a valid reason or try to minimalise it. Why? These people can actually measure piracy rate numbers. They have the data and no reason to lie.

It is also the same people that would blame the weather over a bad performance, I mean they would do anything but blame themselves.
I mean look at Capcom, they basically blamed the Wii audience over the performance of their crap games!

jorma

is now taking requests
charlequin said:
It really was. If you think otherwise you really have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. The mechanisms were different -- you had people copying every game they got their hands on and swapping with friends instead of downloading 0-day releases from torrent sites -- but the underlying facts were very much the same: you'd have a few skilled hackers actually breaking copy-protection schemes, and then a huge quantity of casual pirates extensively copying and playing their cracked games.

And some of these pirates still pirate their games. But it is my opinion that most of them grew up, got an income - but retained their interest in gaming and are now paying customers. I think that yesterdays piracy play a major factor in gaming not being a niche hobby today.

Just like the pirates of today will grow up, get an income and pay for their games. Unless the industry keeps making sure that legit games are more inconvenient to play than pirated games. In wich case the pirates of today will probably continue to pirate their games.

Fugu

Let's establish a brief history of PC piracy.

1985: Flamin' ass-bitches Wizardry 4 looks fantastic. Piracy accomplished by copying that floppy.

1990: Wizardry 6 not so fantastic looking. Another floppy copied.

1995: The advent of larger hard drives makes piracy even easier. Piracy accomplished simply by copying files. Doom sells millions anyway. Epic still called Epic Megagames and at this time flourished entirely through a pro-consumer practice largely developed as a response to piracy: shareware.

2000: Piracy made slightly more difficult through the advent of disc checks and slightly easier through the advent of CD-Rs. Internet piracy makes piracy a lot less communal and a lot more accessible but the internet is still prohibitively slow for most people. Incidentally, Unreal Tournament looks and sells great despite being very easy to pirate.

2005: Buying games made more difficult through the advent of prohibitive DRM that punishes people who purchase games (or, inversely, reward people who don't). Unreal Tournament 2004 sells like hot cakes despite a very vocal portion of the fanbase still pissed about being burned by 2003.

2010: Epic complains about how piracy has destroyed PC gaming, when in fact piracy has been there the whole time, it has just become more global. If piracy has become more prevalent it is because computers have become more prevalent. Unreal Tournament 3 sells like crap because it sucks.

Piracy is not the problem here. The problem is and always will be stupid publishers. Back in the early nineties when piracy was laughably easy the concept of shareware was developed as a result and both the consumers and the developers won. The consumers got a significant chunk of game for free (could you imagine a publisher giving away a third of a game for free these days?) and they could pay for the rest if they wanted to. Yes, you could still pirate it, but if that logic was so directly transferable (that everyone who could pirate it would) then id (and, ironically, Epic) simply would not exist as a company today.
Now, publishers' reactions have shifted towards negative impositions on consumers that benefit only them. What possible advantage does DRM provide to the consumer? Why would anyone voluntarily subject the computers that they built and maintained to the shit shotgun that is DRM? They wouldn't, and that's what leads them to the (free) alternative,

TheYanger

Fugu said:

1985: Flamin' ass-bitches Wizardry 4 looks fantastic. Piracy accomplished by copying that floppy.

1995: The advent of larger hard drives makes piracy even easier. Piracy accomplished simply by copying files. Doom sells millions anyway. Epic still called Epic Megagames and at this time flourished entirely through a pro-consumer practice largely developed as a response to piracy: shareware.

2000: Piracy made slightly more difficult through the advent of disc checks and slightly easier through the advent of CD-Rs. Internet piracy makes piracy a lot less communal and a lot more accessible but the internet is still prohibitively slow for most people. Incidentally, Unreal Tournament looks and sells great despite being very easy to pirate.

2005: Buying games made more difficult through the advent of prohibitive DRM that punishes people who purchase games (or, inversely, reward people who don't). Unreal Tournament 2004 sells like hot cakes despite a very vocal portion of the fanbase still pissed about being burned by 2003.

2010: Epic complains about how piracy has destroyed PC gaming, when in fact piracy has been there the whole time, it has just become more global. If piracy has become more prevalent it is because computers have become more prevalent. Unreal Tournament 3 sells like crap because it sucks.

Piracy is not the problem here. The problem is and always will be stupid publishers. Back in the early nineties when piracy was laughably easy the concept of shareware was developed as a result and both the consumers and the developers won. The consumers got a significant chunk of game for free (could you imagine a publisher giving away a third of a game for free these days?) and they could pay for the rest if they wanted to. Yes, you could still pirate it, but if that logic was so directly transferable (that everyone who could pirate it would) then id (and, ironically, Epic) simply would not exist as a company today.
Now, publishers' reactions have shifted towards negative impositions on consumers that benefit only them. What possible advantage does DRM provide to the consumer? Why would anyone voluntarily subject the computers that they built and maintained to the shit shotgun that is DRM? They wouldn't, and that's what leads them to the (free) alternative,

Are you fucking kidding? You even in your little timeline point out how we moved from physically having to copy media, to the internet, but it was still too slow, and then suddenly in the entry where the internet is not slow, you try to pass that buck off as 'oh no, pfft surely piracy is not more common on the internet'

Games still have demos. That's really all shareware was, a demo. I lived and played games voraciously during the shareware age, and the 'length' of the demo was really all that was different. I mean shit, it probably only took an hour or two to play through the first campaign of say, Doom, there are still demos that long.

Your entire second theory is bunk as shit. Nobody is asserting that everyone who can pirate does. OBVIOUS BULLSHIT IS OBVIOUS. IF everyone who COULD pirate a game pirated, consoles wouldn't exist anymore either. But the ratio goes UP directly with the accessibility of said piracy, an issue which you seem to fucking leapfrog over in your little logic train.

Ywap

Epic has a mediocre game engine and make mediocre games.

Mediocre game + steroid pumped guy on the front cover, who wants that?

Yepp, it´s easier to fool people buying for their kids then people buying for themself. Simple really, and most of us would have done the same if we could make more cash by doing so.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
TheYanger said:
Are you fucking kidding? You even in your little timeline point out how we moved from physically having to copy media, to the internet, but it was still too slow, and then suddenly in the entry where the internet is not slow, you try to pass that buck off as 'oh no, pfft surely piracy is not more common on the internet'

Games still have demos. That's really all shareware was, a demo. I lived and played games voraciously during the shareware age, and the 'length' of the demo was really all that was different. I mean shit, it probably only took an hour or two to play through the first campaign of say, Doom, there are still demos that long.

Your entire second theory is bunk as shit. Nobody is asserting that everyone who can pirate does. OBVIOUS BULLSHIT IS OBVIOUS. IF everyone who COULD pirate a game pirated, consoles wouldn't exist anymore either. But the ratio goes UP directly with the accessibility of said piracy, an issue which you seem to fucking leapfrog over in your little logic train.

Your theory that piracy goes up as accessibility rises is plausable, yet it does not mean that paid consumption of piratable products goes down, as determined by the Independent. According to that article, as piracy goes up, so does paid consumption.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Fugu said:

Two ways to ensure the next UT isn't UT3

1. Don't attach midway to it in any form if at all possible.
2. Don't have a pc centric title built for console gamers as I see EPIC didn't learn from UTDC and PS2.
3. Don't have a pc centric title built for console gamers lacking features of it's predcessors

If monkey knows better why don't publishers in this industry? Epic spent a ton of money on 3 platforms and gained less than had it developed the title for one platform period. I don't have pity for pc developers who don't get it right being in the pc industry means you should be a little more aware than what the console types expect.

Mael said:
It is also the same people that would blame the weather over a bad performance, I mean they would do anything but blame themselves.
I mean look at Capcom, they basically blamed the Wii audience over the performance of their crap games!
It's more like the other way around. The attention piracy is getting from software and hardware manufacturers is too big to claim piracy is just a scapegoat invented to blame poor performance on something. PC gamers are the ones minimalizing their responsibility for the current situation and blame poor sales on DRM and poor game quality.
But piracy rate numbers don't lie.
Besides, Epic is explaining why they shifted development towards HD consoles. It’s a decision they made before they released UT3. It has got nothing to do with UT3 being a bad game or not. Neither has it got something to do with ‘blame’ since this was the right decision, not a mistake.
Look:
3-10-2007
Across two separate lectures at this week's Game Developers Conference, id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead and Epic Games president Michael Capps both admitted that piracy of PC games caused their companies to pursue developing beyond the PC platform. "Piracy has pushed id as being multiplatform," stated Hollenshead, whose company contracted Z-Axis to handle the PlayStation 3 version and Nerve Software the Xbox 360 edition of Splash Damage's forthcoming Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (PC).

Comments made by Epic's Capps carried a similar tone. "PC gaming is really falling apart," he revealed. "It killed us to make Unreal Tournament 3 cross-platform, but Epic had to do it," adding "the market that would buy a $600 video card knows how Bittorrent works." Epic is currently developing Unreal Tournament 3 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in-house.

Meanwhile, Firaxis designer and programmer Soren Johnson remained confident in PC development. He suggested that "game design on the PC is going to bend toward persistence," noting Blizzard's World of Warcraft is "successful because you can't pirate WoW. You cannot pirate an MMO. Period."

So it's best we stop this mass denial.

M°°nblade said:

Well, sure. What am I going to do, dig up the Pirate Bay logs for 1989? :lol

This is one of those historical facts that it's going to be difficult to "prove" "conclusively" because I don't have numbers, but any real familiarity with the gaming culture of the late 80s and early 90s should be enough. Not only were there similarly hyperbolic anti-piracy campaigns and increasingly inconvenient "DRM" schemes (in the form of copy-protection and code lookups, mostly) back then, but there was a similarly convenient "peer-to-peer" piracy network -- people just swapped floppies. It was quite easy to get a copy of pretty much any game someone was interested in, as long as there was someone -- a friend of a friend of a friend somewhere -- who was getting the original cracked releases off of a BBS somewhere and distributing them.

These people can actually measure piracy rate numbers.

They can check torrent downloads (which any of us can do) and they can report (sometimes) on pirates playing online -- neither of which really provides us with the information everyone's actually interested in, which is how do these numbers affect actual sales?

I'd really be interested to see someone turn up with a strong comparative case that tries to provide concrete evidence for piracy changing sales numbers, but it'd be unlikely for anyone to have access to all the numbers needed to make a case -- you'd need something like two comparable series whose first entries were both piratable, with the sequel to one game uncracked but the other sequel getting a 0-day release, and then measuring the relative sales gains of each -- and we'd only ever see it anyway if it strongly supported the "piracy hurts sales a lot" argument.

They have the data and no reason to lie.

Nobody's really suggesting that they're lying, as in that they are undertaking a disingenuous campaign intended to mislead people about the truth. (There are a lot of advocacy groups that do that about other aspects of copyright and piracy, but I really don't think

Rather, I think developers have a tough job -- they're laboring hard to create games under a shittacular business model that already makes it extremely difficult to break even, dealing with declining sales and an increasingly difficult and expensive development process -- and when something goes wrong they want to blame someone, especially if they've done their job well and produced a good game that just isn't getting sales traction. Piracy is a very appealing target because it's unquestionably happening, it's pretty ethically unambiguous (it's easy to say "these jerks who are doing something bad are bad jerks!"), and it doesn't involve having to take on their publishers or any other part of the broken system that they're dependent on for their livelihoods.

I definitely don't blame developers for being mad at pirates, I just think it's a waste of energy. Inasmuch as blaming pirates goes beyond bitching in interviews (which is reasonable) and grows to spending an increasing amount of time and money on dubious anti-piracy measures (that are mostly a waste of that time and money) or advocating for stronger copyright laws (which is a bad thing whose relevance is way bigger than a few game devs), then I have a problem with it. The Stardock position on it is the most sensible thing I've heard: if you develop games intended to appeal to paying customers instead of pirates, and budget them based on the number of paying customers you actually have, you'll be consistently successful.

jorma said:
And some of these pirates still pirate their games. But it is my opinion that most of them grew up, got an income - but retained their interest in gaming and are now paying customers. I think that yesterdays piracy play a major factor in gaming not being a niche hobby today.

Oh sure. Piracy has always been a lot more appealing to children who have little ongoing access to money but do have a lot of free time to waste doing various circuitous things in order to get access to pirated games.

TheYanger said:
Are you fucking kidding? You even in your little timeline point out how we moved from physically having to copy media

See, it's shit like this that makes me doubt your whole "yeah I know what PC piracy was like in 1992" angle.

Again, no shit people had to copy physical media. Everything about computing was different (and in many ways less convenient) then. Nothing was networked, nobody even had hard drives (when you go back far enough), buying a game involved going to a computer specialty store with probably pretty short hours and just hoping that they had the title you were looking for. (And it's not like copying a floppy was some incredibly complex process. Stick it in, type "diskcopy a:," swap once.)

Sure you can hit up a torrent site at 2:00 am to score a pirated game now, but you can also just buy it off Steam with a debit card the same way. In terms of how convenient piracy is compared to buying, it's actually worse now -- back in the day once a game was cracked literally all you needed to do was pop it in to play, whereas nowadays piracy increasingly involves virtual CD drives, various configurations and patches, running resident programs to trick the game's DRM, etc.

M°°nblade said:
Besides, Epic is explaining why they shifted development towards HD consoles. It’s a decision they made before they released UT3. It has got nothing to do with UT3 being a bad game or not.

And yet Battlefield: Bad Company 2 outsold its console versions on PC. Is it just coincidence that BFBC2 was a good game with an excellent PC version that was well-tuned to the precise interests of PC gamers (and it sold great on PC) while UT3 was a crummy game with a lousy PC version (and it sold like crap... everywhere)?

Mael

M°°nblade said:
It's more like the other way around. The attention piracy is getting from software and hardware manufacturers is too big to claim piracy is just a scapegoat invented to blame poor performance on something. PC gamers are the ones minimalizing their responsibility for the current situation and blame poor sales on DRM and poor game quality.
But piracy rate numbers don't lie.
Besides, Epic is explaining why they shifted development towards HD consoles. It’s a decision they made before they released UT3. It has got nothing to do with UT3 being a bad game or not. Neither has it got something to do with ‘blame’ since this was the right decision, not a mistake.

Yep it had all to do with trying to sell UE3 to other software developpers, UT3 should probably never have been made anyway since it had no reason of existing anyway except as a memento to what they used to do.
Kinda like Nintendo releasing a Star Fox game actually.
Seriously it's better to stop the denial on the part of the Epic defenders, they made their bed and they had to sleep in it.
They chosed to make console games instead of pc games, I won't blame them heck if they didn't I know some people that wouldn't like that anyway.
I have no vested interest in Epic making pc games at all (I don't even give a shit actually), still to claim like they did that they went PC exclusive because of piracy and not because of a business opportunity that has nothing at all to do with piracy is BS on the level of US official saying they really wanted to get the WMD in Irak in 2002.

Seriously what Epic is trying to do is quite clear :
they're trying to steer developpers and investors away from pc as a gaming platform

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
charlequin said:
See, it's shit like this that makes me doubt your whole "yeah I know what PC piracy was like in 1992" angle.

Again, no shit people had to copy physical media. Everything about computing was different (and in many ways less convenient) then. Nothing was networked, nobody even had hard drives (when you go back far enough), buying a game involved going to a computer specialty store with probably pretty short hours and just hoping that they had the title you were looking for. (And it's not like copying a floppy was some incredibly complex process. Stick it in, type "diskcopy a:," swap once.)

Sure you can hit up a torrent site at 2:00 am to score a pirated game now, but you can also just buy it off Steam with a debit card the same way. In terms of how convenient piracy is compared to buying, it's actually worse now -- back in the day once a game was cracked literally all you needed to do was pop it in to play, whereas nowadays piracy increasingly involves virtual CD drives, various configurations and patches, running resident programs to trick the game's DRM, etc.

Just to provide anecdotal evidence, we had an Amiga when I was a child. We had maybe 50 games (floppy disks) for the thing... with upwards of 45 being pirated copies. Neither I or my brother had some sort of social network involving renowned pirates or anything like that. We just got them at some point from our cousins I think. For free, to boot. Something tells me we wouldn't have got them for free if piracy was rare and hard to do.

Some games couldn't be played from start to finish, but at least 90% of them played just fine, and most featured pre-game screens allowing the player to enable cheat codes. Good times.

percephone

Neo Member
Just to show some perspective. In 1976, developers were already saying copyright infringement was killing the industry. Meanwhile, even with the "theft" and all. This company has more than 10 programmers working for them 34 years later.

By William Henry Gates III

February 3, 1976

An Open Letter to Hobbyists

To me, the most critical thing in the hobby market right now is the lack of good software courses, books and software itself. Without good software and an owner who understands programming, a hobby computer is wasted. Will quality software be written for the hobby market?

Almost a year ago, Paul Allen and myself, expecting the hobby market to expand, hired Monte Davidoff and developed Altair BASIC. Though the initial work took only two months, the three of us have spent most of the last year documenting, improving and adding features to BASIC. Now we have 4K, 8K, EXTENDED, ROM and DISK BASIC. The value of the computer time we have used exceeds $40,000.

The feedback we have gotten from the hundreds of people who say they are using BASIC has all been positive. Two surprising things are apparent, however, 1) Most of these "users" never bought BASIC (less than 10% of all Altair owners have bought BASIC), and 2) The amount of royalties we have received from sales to hobbyists makes the time spent on Altair BASIC worth less than $2 an hour.

Why is this? As the majority of hobbyists must be aware, most of you steal your software. Hardware must be paid for, but software is something to share. Who cares if the people who worked on it get paid?

Is this fair? One thing you don't do by stealing software is get back at MITS for some problem you may have had. MITS doesn't make money selling software. The royalty paid to us, the manual, the tape and the overhead make it a break-even operation. One thing you do do is prevent good software from being written. Who can afford to do professional work for nothing? What hobbyist can put 3-man years into programming, finding all bugs, documenting his product and distribute for free? The fact is, no one besides us has invested a lot of money in hobby software. We have written 6800 BASIC, and are writing 8080 APL and 6800 APL, but there is very little incentive to make this software available to hobbyists. Most directly, the thing you do is theft.

What about the guys who re-sell Altair BASIC, aren't they making money on hobby software? Yes, but those who have been reported to us may lose in the end. They are the ones who give hobbyists a bad name, and should be kicked out of any club meeting they show up at.

I would appreciate letters from any one who wants to pay up, or has a suggestion or comment. Just write to me at 1180 Alvarado SE, #114, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 87108. Nothing would please me more than being able to hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market with good software.

Bill Gates

General Partner, Micro-Soft

charlequin said:
This is one of those historical facts that it's going to be difficult to "prove" "conclusively" because I don't have numbers, but any real familiarity with the gaming culture of the late 80s and early 90s should be enough.
Well, people with real familiarity don't seem to agree in this thread. But this probably because we're talking about different time frames. You're talking about copying floppy disks while Yanger is talking about CD-based games mid-late 90's. There's a difference in accessability and the numbers of copies needed to cover the development costs/make profit. Eg. even if we assume piracy rate numbers have been constant over the years, those 10% bought games may have been enough to cover the costs of lemmings but may not be enough anymore to cover the costs of new PC exclusive crysis or drakensang.

They can check torrent downloads (which any of us can do) and they can report (sometimes) on pirates playing online -- neither of which really provides us with the information everyone's actually interested in, which is how do these numbers affect actual sales?
Doesn't seem interesting to me because with reported piracy rate numbers as high as 90%, if even 1 out of 10 pirates would buy the game instead, this would almost double actual game sales.
And yes, I just pulled that number out of my ass because I don't think every pirate out there is going to stop his gaming hobby when he's forced to pay for it. I think many pirates are actually opportunists. They pirate what they can but don't refuse to buy games they can't pirate but do want to play like Word of warcraft. They just follow the easiest way. This is also why I think publishers should treat pirates as potential customers (instead of treating buyers as potential pirates). Pirates are not wasted energy. Convince them the legimate version is the most accesible, easiest and best version to obtain. They could upload broken versions on torrent sites to create more background noise for people looking for an illegal version. Like a version where they will be prompted to buy the legimate version on steam after the first two chapters. :D

And yet Battlefield: Bad Company 2 outsold its console versions on PC. Is it just coincidence that BFBC2 was a good game with an excellent PC version that was well-tuned to the precise interests of PC gamers (and it sold great on PC) while UT3 was a crummy game with a lousy PC version (and it sold like crap... everywhere)?
I have no idea where you get this info because gfk reported the x360 and PS3 version ahead of the PC version by a large margin.
http://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=806&s=1111
53% of sales went to the Xbox 360 version with 31% for PS3 and 16% for PC, topping each individual chart.

Mael said:
Seriously what Epic is trying to do is quite clear :
they're trying to steer developpers and investors away from pc as a gaming platform
Your accusations of a hidden agenda make no sense because many originally PC developers and publisher share Epic's opinion and it doesn't matter if Epic sells UE3 to PC or console devs. Epic hasn't steered these developers and investors away from the PC. Piracy did.

M°°nblade said:
Well, people with real familiarity don't seem to agree in this thread.

Yanger's an outlier. I honestly think that his claim that needing to copy a physical disc demonstrated how much rarer piracy used to be is pretty clearly demonstrative that he's not taking an honest look at the relative periods we're discussing.

But this probably because we're talking about different time frames. You're talking about copying floppy disks while Yanger is talking about CD-based games mid-late 90's.

It's not like piracy was less prominent during the CD era, though, once burners became widespread. (I do buy the idea that there are lulls in which technology gets ahead of piracy and stuff is temporarily harder to copy, but that's maybe a two-year period at most for CD-ROM based games.) The vast majority of games at that time came with relatively simple disc-checks that could be disabled with a patch and easily distributed on burned CDs.

There's a difference in accessability and the numbers of copies needed to cover the development costs/make profit.

But that's really coming back to my point again! If you look at the PC gaming market over a thirty-year span, and piracy rates remain effectively the same, while the cost of developing a game literally increase by two or three orders of magnitude, it's utterly perverse to claim the (steady) piracy as the ultimate causal factor for changes in the industry rather than the (dramatically changing) production costs.

Doesn't seem interesting to me because with reported piracy rate numbers as high as 90%, if even 1 out of 10 pirates would buy the game instead, this would almost double actual game sales.

Yeah, but nobody's actually reporting pirate conversion rates of 1 in 10. The closest we have to "scientific" evidence on the matter (when publishers have been able to watch the reaction to first a pirateable, then an unpirateable version o the same software) have shown conversion rates more like 1 in 1000. Which makes sense, really -- the economics of piracy are different, and people, once they're pirating any games, regularly pirate huge quantities of games they have little or no active interest in, just because they're "free" -- games they may not even actually play for more than five minutes.

(This rate might wind up being noticeably higher for the MW2s and BFBC2s, the really huge hit games that are incredibly desirable to a wide range of players -- but then, these are also the titles that demonstrably are already extremely profitable even with piracy in place. This is a lot like the music piracy debate back in the day -- the idea that MP3 downloading was bad because it was going to put Metallica in the poorhouse was always absurd.)

I think many pirates are actually opportunists. They pirate what they can but don't refuse to buy games they can't pirate but do want to play like Word of warcraft.

Generally speaking, most casual pirates operate something close to this way, but because actually buying a game is actually quite convenient, the threshold is already too high for most of these people. Hacking any console system is kind of a pain; getting many cracked games to work takes a long time and is unreliable.* Inasmuch as the low-hanging fruit of piracy prevention is making piracy annoying enough that regular normal people don't bother with it, both PC and console piracy have already done so successfully. At that point, you're mostly looking at the dedicated-pirate, warez-kiddie model -- people who have a ton of time to waste tracking down pirated material and making it work, and who probably have a limited game budget because they're kids (and so aren't really very good potential customers yet even if they go 100% legit.) These are the people something like Ubi's new DRM is really trying to chase down, and I don't think that's really resulting in almost any piracy-to-sale conversions at all (and it could well be costing them more sales from disgusted legit buyers.)

*The DS and PSP are a bit different here; on the DS it really is insanely easy to pirate things, which is probably a bit of a problem, and on the PSP it's a pain to get it set up but the "pirate experience" is actually so much better than the "legitimate experience" that I'm willing to believe piracy had an abnormally large effect on the PSP.

Convince them the legimate version is the most accesible, easiest and best version to obtain. They could upload broken versions on torrent sites to create more background noise for people looking for an illegal version. Like a version where they will be prompted to buy the legimate version on steam after the first two chapters. :D

Well, I don't think fake torrents are a very effective strategy (pretty easy to get around for most people) but I certainly agree that it's better to treat pirates as potential customers.

I have no idea where you get this info because gfk reported the x360 and PS3 version ahead of the PC version by a large margin.

My understanding is that EA's internal sale reports provide figures putting the PC version in the lead overall. This is the best source I found in a minute searching, which admittedly is not a very good source. :lol But do remember that gfk and other retail sales trackers are only going to cover boxed PC sales while these days somewhere between "most" and "the vast majority of" PC game sales are digital.

Top Bottom