• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC performance thread

nOoblet16

The game looks quite blurry without sharpening. But with sharpening you notice the sharpening artifacts. Rock and a hard place and only way to avoid both would be by turning off TAA and use MSAA.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
@ JaseC

Still reading the thread, so not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but it's not in the OP.

Ticking the "Exclusive Fullscreen" box on the launcher options menu consistently adds a few fps in the benchmark. My minimum/maximum/average fps went from 34/54/44 with it unchecked to 38/56/46 with it checked (with custom settings).

Ah, yeah, I was supposed to edit that in earlier. Cheers for the reminder.

crayman

Well this is awkward. When game freezes / crashes it takes my whole PC with it and forces whole system reboot. I wonder what is causing it. Annoying issue as otherwise game does run fine with 60FPS locked, even loading times aren't bloated like for some they seem to be.

I had this problem - hard crashed with the little bit of sound that was playing looping. Had to hold down the power button. I always thought that this sort of crash was more of a hardware problem (eg. overheating, bad ram) than as software one - so I guess I'm sort of happy to see it's not just me. Anyone have an idea how to go about debugging it?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah chalk me up in the "so far the port seems pretty okay" party, minus the fucking horrendous mouse acceleration/smoothing and weirdly communicated tweaks (like percentage for FOV). It's not perfect, I don't really like the AO solution, but that's more just rendering rather than the port itself, which performs better than I expected.

And yeah, again echoing myself and others; MSAA has always been super expensive, especially in modern games. There's never been a time where using MSAA has been free or cheap. It's always noticeably hurt framerate with varying degrees of IQ improvement. 8xMSAA in particular has never been anything less than absurdly expensive. I don't think I've ever owned a newly released, modern game while using high end hardware and used 8xMSAA. It's really only applicable to legacy titles to retain a high framerate.

Tovarisc

I had this problem - hard crashed with the little bit of sound that was playing looping. Had to hold down the power button. I always thought that this sort of crash was more of a hardware problem (eg. overheating, bad ram) than as software one - so I guess I'm sort of happy to see it's not just me. Anyone have an idea how to go about debugging it?

I have been tracking my temps and they don't get anywhere near danger zone. Also did play some OW and TW3 too just to check, neither cause this kind hard crash. Only MD.

What's your memory usage look like? It sounds like the same type of crashing that might be caused by a memory leak.

~10-11GB out of 16GB for me. I have bad habit of having tabs open so RIP memory

pa22word

What's your memory usage look like? It sounds like the same type of crashing that might be caused by a memory leak.

leng jai

It's ridiculous how many developers fail at matching the audio between in game and prerendered cutscenes properly. It's like two completely different people did the mixing for them.

Nessus

Core i7 4770K
GeForce 780
16gb ram
1080p

All graphical settings max except for AA (no AA; always the first thing I turn off to improve framerate, shadows, textures, etc. are way more important to me).

Game runs mostly stable around 30 frames per second with occasional dips into 20-ish looks like.

Sure, I'd like a better framerate, but 30 is very much playable for me and I'm more concerned with having all graphical effects turned all the way up if I can.

dr_rus

Nixxes needs to channel id and implement a sharpening slider. TXAA needs some sharpening, but the default setup is just way too much.

Also...I hate to say it, but they probably should have hid the majority of the more demanding options in an ini or do launch option stuff. People are just too stupid to be able to handle graphical settings anymore.

TAA is not TXAA, TXAA is not TAA. TAA is pretty average in this game, with excessive blurring and ghosting. They should've given us the option to use SMAA 1x at least (although their SMAA implementation in RoTTR is still borked till this day so...)

As for the options - the only option which affect my framerates much is the CHS, the rest of them are some 1-2 fps out of ~60. And CHS is AMD's code so disabling that would make the game non-evolved or something.

while 8xaa has always been a performance hog due to the nature in which msaa hardware functions, lower levels of msaa have gotten an unnecessarily bad rap due to poor implementations by developers. msaa can be performant with solid quality in deferred renderers under modern apis(dx11+)

The game looks quite blurry without sharpening. But with sharpening you notice the sharpening artifacts. Rock and a hard place and only way to avoid both would be by turning off TAA and use MSAA.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried some post-sharpening via reshade? Sure it may mess with the HUD and text a bit... but it could be an ineresting exercise to try out.
while 8xaa has always been a performance hog due to the nature in which msaa hardware functions, lower levels of msaa have gotten an necessarily bad rap due to poor implementations by developers. msaa can be performant with solid quality in deferred renderers under modern apis(dx11+)

Crysis 3's god-like MSAA is a rarity. Even then, so far from what I can see in this game, the MSAA seems to work well enough on geometry when I tried it out... it does not seem to do A2C or TrSSAA like Crysis 3 sadly enough, thus making it problematic.

Also it does not apply to the PureHair at all.. so you get super aliased hair if you turn off TAA and just have MSAA on.
TAA is not TXAA, TXAA is not TAA. TAA is pretty average in this game, with excessive blurring and ghosting.

You pointed it out earlier, but the scene with the cultuist showed off the weird ass inner surface bluring that can occur with it. I think it seems to work best in areas with higher contrast and not-samey ambient colour values... at which point it looks rather OK IMO.

BY2K

Membero Americo
04EF14B6D40DB4AA0C8F1186F529428F101911B7

Not bad for a 7970 at High Preset.

Tovarisc

Patch notes from games Steam forum;

[24-08-2016] PC Patch notes for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patch build 524.7
We have just released the first PC patch for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, v1.0 build 524.7. This patch focusses on critical issues users ran into immediately following release.

This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client or manually look for updates in the Windows Store.

The following fixes are in this patch:
• Fixed crashes caused by third-party programs interfering with the game.
• Fixed crash that occurred after viewing the intro videos.
• Fixed issue that could cause a crash at the end of the Prague intro scene.
• Fixed mouse invert setting not being displayed correctly in the options menu.

Note about performance
We are seeing people reporting performance issues when playing the game on Very High/Ultra settings with MSAA set to 2x, 4x, or 8x. We would like to emphasize again that these options are very demanding.
We recommend everyone that is running at recommended spec or higher to start with the High Preset and MSAA turned off, and then tweak the options to optimize your experience.

While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone, if you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on the old version we have made a Beta available on Steam, v1.0_build 524.6, that can be used to switch back to the previous version.

We will keep monitoring for feedback and will release further patches as it seems required. We always welcome your feedback!

Speaking of which, has anyone tried some post-sharpening via reshade? Sure it may mess with the HUD and text a bit... but it could be an ineresting exercise to try out.

Crysis 3's god-like MSAA is a rarity. Even then, so far from what I can see in this game, the MSAA seems to work well enough on geometry when I tried it out... it does not seem to do A2C or TrSSAA like Crysis 3 sadly enough, thus making it problematic.

Also it does not apply to the PureHair at all.. so you get super aliased hair if you turn off TAA and just have MSAA on.

its rare because it requires some thought and planning from the get go. you cant just bolt on efficient msaa to a console port during the final phases of development. i dont recall crysis 3 having any transparency coverage with the msaa options tho. cant comment on the edge quality msaa offers in this title(dont have it), just wanted to let people know that the dreadful performance hit with msaa isnt necessary

Micerider

Yeah. They should have different level of sharpening. This one is too much for my tastes.

Running well ingame on "High" + tesselation (1080p/60) on i5 6600, 16gb and a 970.

its rare because it requires some thought and planning from the get go. you cant just bolt on efficient msaa to a console port during the final phases of development.
Yeah. It will be interesting to see if their DX12 version of the game does anything beyond the usual boring AMD implementations so far of "Async Compute a couple of things for GCN". There are some cool optimisation and quality wins they could achieve with MSAA as well as some hardcore rendering bandwidths savings they could have, should they decide to implement the Deferred+ pipeline they made.
i dont recall crysis 3 having any transparency coverage with the msaa options tho.
Tangential here, but they use TrSSAA for the alpha in the game (and before MSAA was deprecated in CryEngine post 3.5.4, it was a tweakable value in the console).

dr_rus

I gave MSAA a try and decided against using it in this game - and I always prefer MSAA to everything else. It just doesn't work that well with the renderer, lots of geometric details gets omitted and are completely un-AA-ed.

You pointed it out earlier, but the scene with the cultuist showed off the weird ass inner surface bluring that can occur with it. I think it seems to work best in areas with higher contrast and not-samey ambient colour values... at which point it looks rather OK IMO.
TAA works ok in general but this cultist isn't an isolated case, I've seen the same ghosting a handful of times now. It also can be pretty apparent on screenshots.

ramshot

It's mind boggling to me that they go through the effort of giving PC users a wide variety of graphical settings, a FOV slider, and many other nice things... and then they leave the most popular control schema in a near unusable state.

It's obvious they put some thought and effort into having a proper PC release, so why and how on earth has no-one gone "hey, how about we fix the mouse controls so that they are playable?" at some point?

That technically small thing was the thing that has made me tell people to wait for patches/sales instead of flat out recommending the game, because the game itself is great. What a waste of sales and reputation for a thing that absolutely can not be especially hard or time consuming to fix.

Tovarisc

It's mind boggling to me that they go through the effort of giving PC users a wide variety of graphical settings, a FOV slider, and many other nice things... and then they leave the most popular control schema in a near unusable state.

It's obvious they put some thought and effort into having a proper PC release, so why and how on earth has no-one gone "hey, how about we fix the mouse controls so that they are playable?" at some point?

That technically small thing was the thing that has made me tell people to wait for patches/sales instead of flat out recommending the game, because the game itself is great. What a waste of sales and reputation for a thing that absolutely can not be especially hard or time consuming to fix.

What weird reason to tell friends not to buy one of the best RPG's of 2016. I don't like mouse acceleration, but it hardly ruins the game and makes it unplayable. Witnessed games with so much worse mouse controls.

dr_rus

2400 DPI and in-game mouse sensitivity at zero. Can't say that I'm even noticing the acceleration.

ramshot

What weird reason to tell friends not to buy one of the best RPG's of 2016. I don't like mouse acceleration, but it hardly ruins the game and makes it unplayable. Witnessed games with so much worse mouse controls.

Well, for me the mouse acceleration combined with the out-of-sync X/Y axis sensitivity is a deal breaker. It's not only difficult to manage, it actually gives me nausea, because the response is not logical. I know most of my active PC gamer friends absolutely despise mouse accl (basically, anything that isn't 100% raw input), and I've gotten no complaints or "who cares" from people when I've told them my reasoning.

If it's good for you, well, grats. But it's still a major, major issue for many people and an easy fix, so why on earth is it like it is...

Fledz

Mouse acceleration for me was fine after 15min of play. Turned it down to 31% and it's great. Maybe some of you need to buy a better mouse or are used to shitty low DPI ones.

ed- My mouse is at 5600.

ramshot

2400 DPI and in-game mouse sensitivity at zero. Can't say that I'm even noticing the acceleration.

Hmh, ok, I have not tried 0 sens, I think I have it at 6, and the acceleration is horrible. I'll give it a shot at zero. Maybe I could live with the X/Y issue alone, instead of playing with a pad like I have so far.

Thanks.

NIN90

Mouse acceleration for me was fine after 15min of play. Turned it down to 31% and it's great. Maybe some of you need to buy a better mouse or are used to shitty low DPI ones.

ed- My mouse is at 5600.

lol

I'm sorry but that's all I can say.

Increasing your DPI makes your mouse sensitivity faster. That's all it does. I'm running 400 DPI and 0% is still too fast for me.

Yeah. It will be interesting to see if their DX12 version of the game does anything beyond the usual boring AMD implementations so far of "Async Compute a couple of things for GCN". There are some cool optimisation and quality wins they could achieve with MSAA as well as some hardcore rendering bandwidths savings they could have, should they decide to implement the Deferred+ pipeline they made.

Tangential here, but they use TrSSAA for the alpha in the game (and before MSAA was deprecated in CryEngine post 3.5.4, it was a tweakable value in the console).

pics not showing up but i went and checked, and yeah crysis 3 is applying coverage to the alphas. im not sure if its trssaa because it doesnt clean up as well as enabling it in the nv ctrl panel. but yeah the perf hit in crysis 3 is so reasonable. 4xmsaa with alpha coverage is like 25 to 30% at 1440p.

Smoolio

i7 6700k
gtx 1080
SSD

Have been playing with 2x MSAA. TAA just looks too soft for me. Also triple buffered vsync. Haven't experienced anything below 60 yet. Exclusive Fullscreen I might add.

With TAA, just cuz

W/o TAA I had a 2fps average increase.

What resolution might I ask?

ramshot

This doesn't make any sense. The mouse sensitivity setting is borked specifically for people with high DPI, because it doesn't go low enough.

Also, high DPI in itself is not by definition a good thing, especially after a certain point. Modern gaming mice with 16k DPI or whatever are basically "selling big numbers". I had a 16k DPI mouse and I couldn't find a single game in which I could use the setting due to the sensitivity sliders not scaling down low enough.

Finally, mouse acceleration being enabled or the X/Y axis being out of sync have nothing to do with mouse quality or DPI. It's a setting you have either gotten used to at some point, or you haven't, and for some, it's more than a little problematic just learning to live with it. That's why basically every AAA shooter out on PC allows for you to disable it.

I'm right at recommended specs and was getting ~30fps at 1080p/High and the mouse felt like shit. Fiddled with settings to no avail.

Restarted the PC and now I'm hitting 70fps and the mouse feels fine. PCs are stupid.

Pixieking

Banned
You guys should really stop relying on that benchmark.

Yeah, it seems weird for a benchmark. I'm going to get back into Sleeping Dogs, so I ran the benchmark for that yesterday, and it not only runs through more "actual" gaming scenarios, but it seems to be more indicative of performance than the Deus Ex: MD one.

drotahorror

ed- My mouse is at 5600.

That's a pretty dumb thing to say hah. I have my mouse sens @ 6% in game, dpi is at 4000. Maybe I should crank it up to 12000 since that's higher than Fledz 5600 and better.

Anyways, mouse feels good to me, I don't notice the acceleration. Fairly sensitive to it.

What resolution might I ask?

1080p, whoops. edited post.

Yeah, it seems weird for a benchmark. I'm going to get back into Sleeping Dogs, so I ran the benchmark for that yesterday, and it not only runs through more "actual" gaming scenarios, but it seems to be more indicative of performance than the Deus Ex: MD one.
One of the absolute first scenes in Sleeping Dogs DE is more demanding than any of the benchmark. It's not a very good benchmark.

Maddanth

Is there sli support? I'm running I7@4790@32gb ram@ 980ti sli. Running at high preset and can't get stable 60fps. Msaa off and chromatic abbreviation off. Any suggestions? Thought for sure I could run ultra with these specs

What is a good program to use to track the fps while playing?
I use MSI Afterburner. Tracks FPS, Temps, CPU usage etc.

Playing @1440p at nearly all highest settings except Ambient Occlusion to On, CHS to off, MSAA off and Volumetric Lighting to on (and CA to off). I get 60fps 90% with Triple Buffered V-Sync. This is with a mildly OC'd 1080, 4790k@4.4ghz, 16GBRAM@2133mhz. I did notice after 8hrs play my system RAM usage was up to 10GB!
Generally I'd say the game works very well. Even with MSAA off it's a pretty clean game certainly pretty enough. I do wonder if my frames will take a hit in some areas. In the Benchmark it would go from 60 down to 47. But so far the games been solid.

Durante

Using exclusive fullscreen got me past the train station part and now I'm actually playing the game -- wow, what a great looking game! Prague has such a nice dreary atmosphere, it reminds me a bit of STALKER, which I love.
The first few hours in Prague actually reminded me a bit of Dishonored. Not graphically, just because I was climbing around on roofs and looking down at people I need to avoid so much :p

I use MSI Afterburner. Tracks FPS, Temps, CPU usage etc.

Playing @1440p at nearly all highest settings except Ambient Occlusion to On, CHS to off, MSAA off and Volumetric Lighting to on (and CA to off). I get 60fps 90% with Triple Buffered V-Sync. This is with a mildly OC'd 1080, 4790k@4.4ghz, 16GBRAM@2133mhz. I did notice after 8hrs play my system RAM usage was up to 10GB!
Yeah, I use almost the same settings (with sharpening and motion blur off) on my 1080 and am really happy with the results so far.

Pixieking

Banned
One of the absolute first scenes in Sleeping Dogs DE is more demanding than any of the benchmark. It's not a very good benchmark.

Mmmm, not saying it's good, just saying it's better than MD. :p I've found benchmarks generally are not great, though - Arkham City's, for instance, always saw the frame-rate tank at the beginning of a new scene, which skewed results.

Top Bottom