• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techland requests SteamSpy to remove their sales data; SteamSpy owner annoyed

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Let's do a quick review of everyone who requested their data be taken down.

Squad (Kerbal Space Program): Paid their staff nigh zero wages, frequently fired them, game had sold 1.5 million copies at a high ASP. Their request was done under the cover of asserting that Mexican drug cartels would murder all their staff if their data was on SteamSpy because a drug cartel that was sophisticated enough to use SteamSpy wouldn't be able to figure out Kerbal Space Program was a success otherwise.

Paradox: Had an IPO. Was very concerned that investors wouldn't be able to understand the three day sales lag on SteamSpy, and reported the numbers were very inaccurate anyway. Proceeded to announce sales numbers a few days later that were basically exactly the same as SteamSpy right before it shut off. Given every public company has an IR department that has to deal with continual investor questions, they're either completely not ready for the IPO they're doing and their stock will be totally fucked, or they're actually just trying to hide any future potential underperformances.

Nicalis: Probably one of the less successful indie publishers. Presumably don't want their data shown so that indie developers can't easily compare the success rates of their potential publishers and come to the conclusion they may prefer Devolver Digital or Adult Swim.

Techland: Getting into game publishing, and never cared before. Presumably they're concerned for the same same reason as Nicalis unless they're planning an imminent IPO.

Also, to be clear, these are publisher wishes, not developer wishes. We see basically no individual developers except Squad wanting their data pulled.

If all the major, gigantic publishers see zero issue with SteamSpy, and the individual developers don't, and this is only an issue for a very select number of small time publishers, I'm really having trouble imagining a scenario where SteamSpy is actually problematic for anyone.

Oh, its something else?

It's an estimate for the amount of owners a game has. Nothing more nothing less. It's a useful tool I use almost daily, but it's not something to measure how much a game sold.
You have shady sites like G2A, free weekends and bundles that makes it impossible to have an educated guess what the revenue is. Last I played a game Party Hard I got from a cheap 3 dollar bundle with a few other games. Steamspy is down at the moment, but it was something like 50.000 owners befor the bundle and I think 150.000 after the bundle.
So Steamspy isn't showing sales data.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But the bad press was. Appearing to be facilitating underage gambling, and perhaps outright fraud, could have had real repercussions for Valve. Unless publishers are prepared to pull their games, this doesn't.

As I recall, most of the bad press was in relation to the betting sites being tied to prominent YouTube personalties, not Valve itself. By and large, even the lawsuit was scoffed at thanks to its allegation that Valve is complicit due to Steam's item trading feature.

As has been said, Valve's implementation of its refund policy could not have gone down well with a lot of developers/publishers. Yet it remains.

The refund system is of great benefit to Steam users -- it significantly decreases the burden of a purchase and allows users to dip their toes into titles that do not offer a demo. Some developers even recorded an increase in sales after the initial no-strings-attached refund period. Sales data, on the other hand, does not improve the end-user experience of the service.

You say that Valve would have no motivation to oblige calls for something to be done about SteamSpy's data gathering, but what motivation would there be for Valve to not act? The former, at least, would appease some disgruntled business partners at little to no cost to the company, be it literal (resources) or figurative (public opinion).

Edit: Also, I'd posit that Family Sharing is as restrictive as it is due to publisher feedback. Sony allows concurrent game access on the PS3/4, although you are booted out mid-game if your internet connection drops, and I doubt Valve would intentionally design Family Sharing to be worse overall. Consider also the introduction of the AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting flag (restricted cross-region trading/gifting), which was initially optional and not applied to Valve's own titles. I simply don't agree that Valve is more likely to respond to a growing concern among third parties with inaction.

Edit edit: To be clear, publishers could already region-lock games prior to the introduction of ACRTAG. It just made things easier for those not engaging in "language locking".

Weebos

Banned
I think it is nice that they were taking down the information upon request, but they don't have to honor those requests.

It's clear they were getting more requests than it was worth, so going back on the policy makes sense to me.

It is publicly available information, the developers should complain to Valve if anyone.

kswiston

I am confused how this is a tool for dev's when they can get sales data from valve. I am not saying I don't like steamspy but let's not claim it's a tool built for developers

I can see it being a useful tool for small indie devs who can't afford market research.

OBias

I am confused how this is a tool for dev's when they can get sales data from valve. I am not saying I don't like steamspy but let's not claim it's a tool built for developers

Market research is a thing. Developers can only get the sales data directly for their own games. SteamSpy is actually being developed by a former marketing director: http://galyonkin.com/en/

Pepboy

Is sales data considered confidential? I mean, I imagine that the product people and whoever is distributing it probably want to keep that info between themselves, but if you can use shenannigans to figure it out and make the numbers public... it's not like there's legal action that can be taken, right?

The real issue is now devs will complain to valve and valve may shut down the method they use to collect the data. Im sure in their ToS they have some clause about data mining.

SomTervo

Squad (Kerbal Space Program): Paid their staff nigh zero wages, frequently fired them, game had sold 1.5 million copies at a high ASP. Their request was done under the cover of asserting that Mexican drug cartels would murder all their staff if their data was on SteamSpy because a drug cartel that was sophisticated enough to use SteamSpy wouldn't be able to figure out Kerbal Space Program was a success otherwise.

Paradox: Had an IPO. Was very concerned that investors wouldn't be able to understand the three day sales lag on SteamSpy, and reported the numbers were very inaccurate anyway. Proceeded to announce sales numbers a few days later that were basically exactly the same as SteamSpy right before it shut off. Given every public company has an IR department that has to deal with continual investor questions, they're either completely not ready for the IPO they're doing and their stock will be totally fucked, or they're actually just trying to hide any future potential underperformances.

Nicalis: Probably one of the less successful indie publishers. Presumably don't want their data shown so that indie developers can't easily compare the success rates of their potential publishers and come to the conclusion they may prefer Devolver Digital or Adult Swim.

Techland: Getting into game publishing, and never cared before. Presumably they're concerned for the same same reason as Nicalis unless they're planning an imminent IPO.

Also, to be clear, these are publisher wishes, not developer wishes. We see basically no individual developers except Squad wanting their data pulled.

Thanks for this, esp. the bolded.

With Steamspy I, as a dev, can see which months and days are the best to release games. What genres and tags are popular. The best price for my game. How sales and the % of discounts affect buyers. And on and on.

Shiggy

Does developer X get sales of game Z from developer Y to determine whether it's viable to produce a similar game?

No.
The ability not to reveal the numbers until a certain point in the negotioations so the game will initially be judged based on what the game actually is and not by a single number on the steamspy website.

Do you really think publishers don't use a similar program to get the same data?

Stuart444

No.
The ability not to reveal the numbers until a certain point in the negotioations so the game will initially be judged based on what the game actually is and not by a single number on the steamspy website.

In business, the game can look amazing, and be judged for it like that. But unless you wait until after contracts have been signed and your business partner/investor/etc can't back out of the deal, sales numbers will still always trump whatever was shown before hand.

And in business, most will want more accurate data than what steamspy provides anyway.

No.

Bingo.

Also, from a publisher's standpoint they often didn't reveal information about sales. There are a number of reasons for that, too.

Costia

A consumer should not and does not need to act as their defense force and comply with every single request just because it may "hurt" some developers.

It's public information. If it's the kind of information that can "hurt" a dev, that doesn't sound like a very stable dev in the first place. They are not entitled to any protection, and both legally and morally we (as the consumers) have zero reason to hide this information in the first place.

Companies don't need people acting as their defense force, and if they have to resort to hiding the truth then maybe they don't deserve the contracts they feel they should get.
It's public information for now.
To collect this information he needs to to millions of profile data request, and valve could easily limit that. And just like steamspy is not obligated to hide this information, valve is not obligated to grant full, unrestricted access to it either.
So it's not a legal or moral question. It's a question of how to do things while pissing off the least amount of people and still being usefull.

kiguel182

A consumer should not and does not need to act as their defense force and comply with every single request just because it may "hurt" some developers.

It's public information. If it's the kind of information that can "hurt" a dev, that doesn't sound like a very stable dev in the first place. They are not entitled to any protection, and both legally and morally we (as the consumers) have zero reason to hide this information in the first place.

Companies don't need people acting as their defense force, and if they have to resort to hiding the truth then maybe they don't deserve the contracts they feel they should get.

I don't subscribe to the us vs them mentality when it comes to consumers and companies. Couldn't care less about that imaginary fight some people like to fight.

I'm also not here to judge business decisions. This request is pretty innocuous and could have a lot of reasons to exist.

Hiding data and getting a better bargaining position automatically means that someone else has a worse position. I don't see how you can argue that this is a good thing. Why does one position trump the other?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No.

To be clear, having talked to people at publishers, many (or perhaps most) run similar setups themselves already. They just don't host a public website for it.

There's also no clear sign that sales are impacting the ability of an indie developer to sign their games to publishers, because none of them are requested their games removed, and if you look at places like EA and Take-Two, they're not signing successful indie developers because those people don't need publishers.

MUnited83

For you.
tHduq5K.png

l4GlnRU.png

jjVndKe.png

d9GicF2.png

To be clear, having talked to people at publishers, many (or perhaps most) run similar setups themselves already. They just don't host a public website for it.

When we were negotiating with publishers, sales numbers from previous games under their portfolio were not disclosed. There are numerous reasons for this, though I'm not going to speak for them. Point is, that has now changed.

Anno

Oddly fitting that this change happens on the day of Paradox's (first?) public quarterly release.

Good on Steam Spy guy for taking a position. Now it's really just up to see how Valve responds.

Valve do not have to capitulate to every demand a publisher makes. Companies in a dominant position can, and do, leverage their position to benefit themselves. Do you really think that publishers were delighted with Steam's refund policy?

You could make the same statement about Valve and their customers.
And a company cannot behave like you and some others here pointed out. Valve will always listen to (big AAA) publishers like Activision, they don't need to agree with it, but that's something else. Companies with a dominant position have gone down in the past due to being arrogant, Valve is smarter than that.

kswiston

This should really be a put two and two together situation. If one guy in Russia can put together Steamspy in what was initially his spare time, EA, Activision, etc probably does the same thing already. The cost of getting someone to program a Steamspy alternative is a fraction of what they already pay for things like NPD data.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I also don't understand the bargaining power argument for developers. Do you mean the ability to lie about your sale numbers during negotiation ?

Yup, pretty much.

If all the major, gigantic publishers see zero issue with SteamSpy, and the individual developers don't, and this is only an issue for a very select number of small time publishers, I'm really having trouble imagining a scenario where SteamSpy is actually problematic for anyone.

Niorlak nails it.

Look, I'm sure it is embarrassing for some devs to have their info out there. I've always been very transparent with my sales data before SteamSpy so I didn't mind at all. But the requested takedowns should have never happened in the first place. I couldn't blame him since I'm sure he didn't want to rock the boat too much, but man, that kind of censorship just showed how blatantly manipulative some of the companies that requested takedowns were.

Good on him for putting that data back up.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm all for keeping that data up (unless it kills the site, obviously). Good on you SteamSpyGuy.
Don't see why he has to repect the wishes of the publishers, he's not hacking the data or getting it through some dark magic.

What the fuck is Magicka Wizard Wars and how did it manage to sell almost 3,5 million copies?

Edit: It's free? What is this game, I have never heard anything about it and I loved Magicka?

MUnited83

For you.
It's an estimate for the amount of owners a game has. Nothing more nothing less. It's a useful tool I use almost daily, but it's not something to measure how much a game sold.
You have shady sites like G2A, free weekends and bundles that makes it impossible to have an educated guess what the revenue is. Last I played a game Party Hard I got from a cheap 3 dollar bundle with a few other games. Steamspy is down at the moment, but it was something like 50.000 owners befor the bundle and I think 150.000 after the bundle.
So Steamspy isn't showing sales data.

Hence why you'd take each game into account individually depending on it's history. No Man's Sky didn't have no free weekends and it was in no bundles at all. You can estimate a aproximate value from that. I wouldn't be surprised if did over 20$million already.

StereoVsn

wait, why is it supposedly a bad thing that public sales/ownership data could affect a company's bargaining position? unless you're looking at it from the angle that one side of a sales deal should have a stacked deck?

and can anybody actually explain how on earth this would negatively affect a developer?

You can also make a fairly safe bet that when companies are on negotiating table with pubs, the latter will certainly demand the sales data, maybe under an NDA. So, no, this doesn't do jack shit to developers' bargaining position.

So all the calls for "respect the dev" are kind of BS. I can only think of couple reasons for hiding the data: a)Bullshit their employees and b)Bullshit the public for PR. I find neither particularly good reasons for pulling the data.

Bluth54

Interesting. It does make sense that most publishers would do it also.

That being said if most publishers run something like this I don't see Valve restricting it in anyway. I also have to change my position, if Valve asks him to take down data then he shouldn't.

kswiston

Yup, pretty much.

Niorlak nails it.

Look, I'm sure it is embarrassing for some devs to have their info out there. I've always been very transparent with my sales data before SteamSpy so I didn't mind at all. But the requested takedowns should have never happened in the first place. I couldn't blame him since I'm sure he didn't want to rock the boat too much, but man, that kind of censorship just showed how blatantly manipulative some of the companies that requested takedowns were.

I also remember 1-2 man teams with GAF accounts having to tip toe around their Steam sales numbers in fear of breaking any NDAs. Now you guys can talk about your own sales without worrying that you are doing something wrong.

Lister

Banned
I think its a neat data resource, but it also inspires a lot of dangerously misinformed analysis from people who don't understand the data, and are unable to place the data into a historical context. From the dude who runs it as much as anyone else.

I couldn't disagree more. The availability fo the data has only helped to curb this type of uninformed, unsubstantiated rhetoric. Case in point:

There was the whole "Indiepocalypse" nonsense, which was largely unfounded scaremongering, and people not really understanding how the long tail works with critically acclaimed indie games, especially in relation to bundles and discounts.

Steamspy helped show, with actual data, that this was NOT the case. It also showed how the format to Steam's sales was helping developers, despite the insistance from some that it was hurting everyone.

Edit: There are countless business reasons for not wanting sales data to be public. You can debate the merit of these reasons, but I doubt it's something Valve would want to take a hard line against publishers who make them lots of money just because of a not especially convincing public interest argument.

The data IS public, and transparency is good for most develoeprs AND publishers. Certainly there will be some for whom transparency would not eb ebeneficial, but they are in the minority.

I do agree with you tha tlikely Valve's response will be to tie up the data for those that opt out at the source: their API.

Bluth54

How accurate is Steamspy for your games?

Nheco

It's just compiled public data. He doesn't need to honor anything. Maybe it could hurt some business strategies? Yes, but hey: it's 2016, and internet is everywhere. Deal with it.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Interesting. It does make sense that most publishers would do it also.

That being said if most publishers run something like this I don't see Valve restricting it in anyway. I also have to change my position, if Valve asks him to take down data then he shouldn't.
I think Valve could shut him down pretty easily if they wanted to. His calls go to their website

Dryk

I do agree with you tha tlikely Valve's response will be to tie up the data for those that opt out at the source: their API.
They'd have to remove profile information from the API which breaks a bunch of other websites that have nothing to do with SteamSpy. I don't think they'd go that far.

Kifimbo

No.

I'm trying to figure out why WHEN to reveal sale numbers during a negotiation will make a meaningful difference in the end. I'm genuinely curious.

Uthred

I'm saying that, as a developer, Steamspy's current policy is in accordance with what I want. I suspect many others feel the same way, and that this number far outweighs those who ask their own data to be removed.

This was in response to the poster who said "Steamspy should just respect developers' wishes".

But by removing the data from those who want it removed he'd then be respecting 100% of developers wishes. You dont need one side to "outweigh" the other, because your wish to have your data visible in no way conflicts with someone wishing to have theirs hidden.

Moonstone

What could Valve really do though? Even if Valve disabled scanning games using the api he could still manually scan profiles for the same info. The only way Valve could completely shut it down would be to make all profiles private but I don't see them doing that.

It will be interesting to see what happens especially if pubs and devs pressure Valve.

They can identify his bot, block him and ban his IP (or even send wrong data). Sure there are ways to circumvent this, but at some point there will be just to much work to update the parser everyday if this turns into a contest.

Think they could also add at statement to their terms of use that you are not allowed to scan their site with bots or publish data.

Hence why you'd take each game into account individually depending on it's history. No Man's Sky didn't have no free weekends and it was in no bundles at all. You can estimate a aproximate value from that. I wouldn't be surprised if did over 20$million already.

But even then you cannot make a really good educated guess. Prices are different around the world and sites like G2A are immensely popular (I just checked and they sell the game for 46 euro).
And yes, you could easily say that No Man's Sky is doing very well financially, but putting a number on it is just guessing.

Xater

Should have never followed any of the requests in the first place to be honest. I don't understand why. This industry is too secretive about their sales in the first place.

Is this some form of "companies are evil, fight the power" speech? Yawn.

Yeah, it's public data that a website compiles. But it might have a negative effect on some devs and that's why they ask for them to not publish it. If you want to do that work for yourself nobody stops you.

Nobody is stoping you from doing it. But I think respecting that is the right move because why hurt them?

But yeah, fuck the man am I right?

Also, right and wrong have nothing to do with legal matters. Laws are not morality and it's weird how people correlate the two.

No, it isn't. It's a post that contains my thoughts on publicly available data that companies have no right to tell who gets to view it because they don't own it nor have anything to do with it. It's not financial data or anything being hacked from their corporate networks so I don't see how it's "companies are evil, fight the power".

Like the owner says, it's no different from something like exit polling in elections.

Costia

I'm trying to figure out why WHEN to reveal sale numbers during a negotiation will make a meaningful difference in the end. I'm genuinely curious.
When you actually meet.
Having the info publically availible might mean there won't be any negotiations at all. With the information being private, they will have to at least meet you once to get the data.
But if they gather the information themselves as nirolak suggests, it doesn't really matter.

I also remember 1-2 man teams with GAF accounts having to tip toe around their Steam sales numbers in fear of breaking any NDAs. Now you guys can talk about your own sales without worrying that you are doing something wrong.

Wasn't that during an era when Valve was constantly being flooded with buyout offers and wanted to keep Steam sales and revenue data as secretive as possible to discourage the deluge of offers they were getting from the major publishers?

wrowa

But by removing the data from those who want it removed he'd then be respecting 100% of developers wishes. You dont need one side to "outweigh" the other, because your wish to have your data visible in no way conflicts with someone wishing to have theirs hidden.

No. If you use Steam Spy as a market research tool, its results become less accurate if data is missing. The removal of Paradox' games is kinda significant for the strategy genre, for example.

SomTervo

How accurate is Steamspy for your games?

It tends to have a +-10% hedger for our games no matter what, so it gets less accurate the more users you have.

IIRC it also doesn't include GoG or (in our case) Xbox One, so it's not very accurate at all in terms of total through sales. At the moment for our game I think it only shows about half of total sales.

Hellshy.

Market research is a thing. Developers can only get the sales data directly for their own games. SteamSpy is actually being developed by a former marketing director: http://galyonkin.com/en/

Ok good point. Do you know a ballpark figure for what it would cost dev's to obrain these market figures? I may not be looking at it hard enough but wouldn't spending it on research that adds more than steam data be more useful? I have played many indie games and feel like market research was not that important to many of them but I am sure some do use it.

Also I hear steamspy is accurate. Do we know how accurate and if things like refunds are accounted for? I don't use steam a lot so not sure if it removes the game from your profile after a refund.

Regardless I like seeing the numbers , however I would think it was unfortunate if employees were ever affected by it.

MUnited83

For you.
But even then you cannot make a really good educated guess. Prices are different around the world and sites like G2A are immensely popular (I just checked and they sell the game for 46 euro).
And yes, you could easily say that No Man's Sky is doing very well financially, but putting a number on it is just guessing.

Prices for No Man's Sky are not really that much different. Mind you, my estimate is based on the average price combined with the geography date, which puts most of the sales of No Man's Sky in the US. In fact, the majority of sales were in full price territories.

Top Bottom