• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 market share in 1Q = 31% (Wii: 49% - X360: 20%) - According to Strategy Analytics

Metalmurphy said:
Say what?

Your math is a bit dodgy
Read the post I was responding to. Follow the chain of the conversation. Rub both of your brain cells together really fast. I'm sure something will come to you.

And yes, my math is dodgy. It was a fucking joke, Captain Stimulus Response.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is really interesting because that Natal rumor that has the 360 entry pricepoint going up could really...change the second derivative of their growth curves...why can't I think of a better way to express that...

Segata Sanshiro said:
Read the post I was responding to. Follow the chain of the conversation. Rub both of your brain cells together really fast. I'm sure something will come to you.
I did and you still didn't make any sense considering this was on the post you were responding to

3. I like the library of games available - 62%

Maybe your cells are the ones that need some rubbing?

Segata Sanshiro said:
And yes, my math is dodgy. It was a fucking joke, Captain Stimulus Response.
Jokes that don't make sense aren't usually funny.

Also, why're being such a dickhead?

tzare

Segata Sanshiro said:
Nobody interested in Uncharted 2 or LBP, either. Do you really want to start that fight again in here?
10. I am looking forward to buying a specific game - 12%

Just joking, my apologies .

Metalmurphy said:
I did and you still didn't make any sense considering this was on the post you were responding to

You've lost.

I'm an idiot and I knew he was joking.

Y2Kev said:
This is really interesting because that Natal rumor that has the 360 entry pricepoint going up could really...change the second derivative of their growth curves...why can't I think of a better way to express that...

ironic, given how MS considers Natal to be integral to the 360's success

sorry

Pooya

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yep, that 7.5 millionish unit headstart MS had has been carved down to a lean, mean 5 millionish after just four years. In 2018, finally, the craven bastard 360 shall be slain.
2018?:lol if Natal bombs (with this price it will) PS3 is #2 by next year, Microsoft has dropped the ball so bad lately.

Metalmurphy said:
I lost what? oO
Pride?

The sense that somehow, someway you're smarter then a retarded monkey?

Or maybe just your sammich.

miladesn said:
2018?:lol if Natal bombs (with this price it will) PS3 is #2 by next year, Microsoft has dropped the ball so bad lately.

Jesus that wasn't even a mindstretcher of a joke...

GAFers emit rays of pure stupidity.

Cornbread78

twisteddeeds said:
dont you know there is a global shortage of ps3s :p lol

Funny, but True.......

Call 10 stores where you are and see if there is any around. I work at a Wal-Mart and we get less then 20 every other month, and they sell out over the weekend. If we had a comparison, they would be selling 3/1 over the XBox and slightly more than the Wii.

This is the same for all the local retailers: Game Stop, Best Buy, Target, Sears, etc.

I don't believe this is the biggest thing, however, there IS a shortage.....

ZZMitch

miladesn said:
What price? The one some random source said was the price?

Metalmurphy said:

First, I'd like to address your last question. It's because I'm a dickhead.

Now, let's see. Guy cites the link, makes cheeky reference about no one caring about OtherOS because it's not in the list. Segata quotes the guy, makes cheeky reference about no one caring about Uncharted 2 and LBP because they aren't in the list. MetalMurphy does excellent impression of Peter Criss. Segata and Guy high-five each other and ride their flying T-Rexes into the sunset while MetalMurphy points out T-Rexes can't fly.

gerg

miladesn said:

Because Move will be such a smashing success?

Segata Sanshiro said:
First, I'd like to address your last question. It's because I'm a dickhead.

Now, let's see. Guy cites the link, makes cheeky reference about no one caring about OtherOS because it's not in the list. Segata quotes the guy, makes cheeky reference about no one caring about Uncharted 2 and LBP because they aren't in the list. MetalMurphy does excellent impression of Peter Criss. Segata and Guy high-five each other and ride their flying T-Rexes into the sunset while MetalMurphy points out T-Rexes can't fly.

They are on the list though :p

And T-rex CAN fly

T-Rex-Jet.jpg

andycapps

a Master Ninja said:
Sony hasn't been adequately producing/distributing PS3s to American retailers since January. Had the supply been on shelves games Like GOW3 would have made a bigger impact. I'm seeing people coming in with every intent on buying a PS3 but settling for a 360 so they can play World Cup/Red Dead/etc.

What are you doing, Sony?

Maybe a new SKU for E3? I don't see what else they could be doing at E3, Move won't be ready to launch yet so they can't pack that in.

Anyway, congrats to Sony. What a difference several years time makes. And of course, congrats to Nintendo, but that goes without saying.

Pooya

gerg said:
Because Move will be such a smashing success?
PS3 doesn't need move to outsell the 360, it is already doing it comfortably, Natal was supposed to give 360 sales a boost, we have to wait and see, but with those predictions in OP PS3 will be #2 by next year.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Segata Sanshiro said:
They figure it out by adding up all the consoles sold, then dividing each console's numbers by the total. They'll cover this in your math class in grade 7, I'm sure.

Instead of being an asshole maybe look at what I was getting at.

The "total sold" can not equate to market share, because that means that the 360 I had that died still counts in the market and I don't see how that is any share of the market whatsoever.

Then, THEN, I asked what good it serves by mentioning that if someone buys a PS3 as a blu ray player does it really have any positive effect on game sales, thereby negating its benefit to the "market share"

No, instead you decide to be a dick. Congratulations, you are a winner of one internets.

If anyone else can attempt to explain this to me, because if they literally just count every single console sold ever to the market share then I think its the stupidest bunch of numbers ever and only good for corporate newsletters/fanboy screaming.

miladesn said:
PS3 doesn't need move to outsell the 360, it is already doing it comfortably, Natal was supposed to give 360 sales a boost, we have to wait and see, but with those predictions in OP PS3 will be #2 by next year.
Actually if those predictions hold weight they will be 1 or so million units behind the 360 at the end of the year.

They might outsell them next year... but if MS launches a new console next year... what would be the point?

It's like Nintendo fans trumpeting the GCN selling better then the Xbox its last year. At that point it's like... Duh? They aren't selling it anymore.

lsslave said:
Instead of being an asshole maybe look at what I was getting at.

The "total sold" can not equate to market share, because that means that the 360 I had that died still counts in the market and I don't see how that is any share of the market whatsoever.

Then, THEN, I asked what good it serves by mentioning that if someone buys a PS3 as a blu ray player does it really have any positive effect on game sales, thereby negating its benefit to the "market share"

No, instead you decide to be a dick. Congratulations, you are a winner of one internets.

If anyone else can attempt to explain this to me, because if they literally just count every single console sold ever to the market share then I think its the stupidest bunch of numbers ever and only good for corporate newsletters/fanboy screaming.
Why shouldn't I be an asshole? You asked how they calculate marketshare. It's pretty fucking simple. They don't sit there hemming and hawing over whether the systems are in use or in the closet or buried in Tutankhamen's tomb or being used for folding@home or being used for bluray or being used to prop up a table, because that shit is incalculable and, in terms of what they are trying to report, completely irrelevant. Stop acting like a fucking fantard child and maybe you'll get the daddy treatment.

ZZMitch

miladesn said:
Well according to the last, I dunno, five or so NPDs, the 360 is still outselling the PS3 in the US. I dont know anything about shortages, because the gamestop in my town (Maine) is stocked full of all three consoles. But if shortages are prevelent elsewhere then maybe the PS3 will start outselling the 360 in North America. But I dont see how the PS3 is going to make up around 5 million units in one year.

ZZMitch said:
Well according to the last, I dunno, five or so NPDs, the 360 is still outselling the PS3 in the US. I dont know anything about shortages, because the gamestop in my town (Maine) is stocked full of all three consoles. But if shortages are prevelent elsewhere then maybe the PS3 will start outselling the 360 in North America. But I dont see how the PS3 is going to make up around 5 million units in one year.
Well if this prediction holds true they will make up 4 million units of those five.

Still won't put Sony in 2nd, but it'd put them a stones throw away.

Y2Kev said:
It's called Natal!
If that's true... God help Microsoft.

ZZMitch

Thunder Monkey said:
Well if this prediction holds true they will make up 4 million units of those five.

Yeah, I see that, but I dont think Microsoft is going to let that happen. They have an Xbox Slim or something up their sleeves I bet. We will probably see at E3!

Taurus

Thunder Monkey said:

So you don't expect 360 Slim to have any effect on sales? I find it hard to believe that MS is just waiting to be bypassed. 360 Slim + pricedrop + new bundles + Natal should have at least some kind of effect on sales.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Thunder Monkey said:

If that's true... God help Microsoft.
Well, I mean, seriously. If Natal comes out in November, it's going to get a least a year on the market. I mean even virtual boy got like 8 months. :lol

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Segata Sanshiro said:
Why shouldn't I be an asshole? You asked how they calculate marketshare. It's pretty fucking simple. They don't sit there hemming and hawing over whether the systems are in use or in the closet or buried in Tutankhamen's tomb or being used for folding@home or being used for bluray or being used to prop up a table, because that shit is incalculable and, in terms of what they are trying to report, completely irrelevant. Stop acting like a fucking fantard child and maybe you'll get the daddy treatment.

Fantard child? Really?

I tried to go into this as objectively as I could ffs.

The saddest thing is, while you're being a fucking tool, you actually answered my question. This is "sold" numbers, which mean nothing for an actual market share. Dead systems, unused systems, etc. do not equate to a real market share. Fuck only knows what the market share really is, but aside from your douchebaggery you actually answered my question so thank you.

In terms of actually being worth an amount of the market I have the info I need, if half of the Wiis that had been purchased were in the garbage than realistically they would NOT be in first place in sales. For someone interested in the economics of the industry those questions should be valid.

How many systems are actually working/used/etc. would be a far better number to work with than how many have been sold since launch. I mean, they don't make PS2 games anymore and that has sold more than the current gen consoles, so obviously flat out "sold" number just might, MIGHT, mean jack shit, no?

ZZMitch said:

I think there are shortages, but not to the point where a consumer couldn't find one. I don't see a person a going to ONE store not seeing a PS3 then going "fuck it, give me an Xbox" ... especially with a $200-300 purchase. But then again I'm giving the average consumer the benefit of the doubt.

I've had a couple friends recently go out and buy a PS3 (because of the PRICE cut, not because of the SLIM - SLIM sales are overrated, it was the PRICE) and if it wasn't at a local store they drove a couple blocks down and got it somewhere else.

I mean ... do people really not 'go shopping' for something anymore? Available online, available in many stores, not all, etc.

I don't doubt the PS3 will catch the 360 eventually if not surpass it based on the fact that the Playstation is a more globally recognized brand along with some of the huge games it has in its bag ... but by the time they do catch the 360 I'm almost positive gamers (and MS and most likely Sony) will already be looking at next generation.

Vinci

Danish
Taurus said:
So you don't expect 360 Slim to have any effect on sales? I find it hard to believe that MS is just waiting to be bypassed. 360 Slim + pricedrop + new bundles + Natal should have at least some kind of effect on sales.

I imagine many would hope its affect on sales is more in line with the PS3 Slim's and not PSP Go's.

Pooya

ZZMitch said:
It is outselling it but by how much? 20k? 100k? in a month. PS3 is outselling 360 in Japan by 20k+ every week for a while now, EU sales are in favor of PS3 too from that Nintendo report. Microsoft's market share is not in a good shape at all , no doubt about that.
This late in the generation I think they probably don't care about market share anymore, they just want to make money and they are doing it very well. We have to wait and see how natal changes things but with 150$ price tag I can't see how it's going to help console sales.

ZZMitch said:
Yeah, I see that, but I dont think Microsoft is going to let that happen. They have an Xbox Slim or something up their sleeves I bet. We will probably see at E3!
It would help in America... but they don't need too much help in America.
Taurus said:
See above.

Y2Kev said:
Well, I mean, seriously. If Natal comes out in November, it's going to get a least a year on the market. I mean even virtual boy got like 8 months. :lol
I don't see Natal as a new platform regardless of what MS PR says. It's a controller. You'd literally have to Wiiify the 360 for Natal to have any effect.

If they remove all signs of 360 on the box, and drastically change the console... it might last a year. If they don't... I'm not sure I even expect a year...

*cough*

ZZMitch said:
Well according to the last, I dunno, five or so NPDs, the 360 is still outselling the PS3 in the US.

And (probably) also the UK. It would seem that Microsoft's sales deficiency is strictly limited to only the rest of the planet.

jkanownik

lsslave said:
Seriously, how do they figure out market share?
... the Xbox 360 has a fail rate of 50 percent and the PS3 has a fail rate of 10 percent ...
Without knowing all the statistics of livingvsdead and the actual use of the system isn't market share just a bunch of phooey?

The majority of defective consoles are refurbished and resold. Refurbished/used consoles aren't tracked in the NPD numbers.

Road

Thunder Monkey said:
Overall a much larger home console market... except for Japan. I think it be shrinking.
I'll try to help the Japanese home console market:

After 181 weeks:
PS2 - 11.9M
WII - 10.3M

After 184 weeks:
GCN - 3.7M
PS3 - 5.1M

After 232 weeks:
XBX - 0.5M
360 - 1.3M

Last-gen - 16.1M
Current-gen - 16.7M

The power of launch-aligned.
Nevermind the 2.8 million Dreamcast sold.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
10. I am looking forward to buying a specific game

wow, gaming languishing in 10th place? (i am ignoring the library comment at no. 3 to increase the controversy here! sort of like going on about 39% market share this quarter ignores the wider picture but hey - i hear it's the thing to do!)

lsslave said:
Fantard child? Really?

I tried to go into this as objectively as I could ffs.

The saddest thing is, while you're being a fucking tool, you actually answered my question. This is "sold" numbers, which mean nothing for an actual market share. Dead systems, unused systems, etc. do not equate to a real market share. Fuck only knows what the market share really is, but aside from your douchebaggery you actually answered my question so thank you.

In terms of actually being worth an amount of the market I have the info I need, if half of the Wiis that had been purchased were in the garbage than realistically they would NOT be in first place in sales. For someone interested in the economics of the industry those questions should be valid.

How many systems are actually working/used/etc. would be a far better number to work with than how many have been sold since launch. I mean, they don't make PS2 games anymore and that has sold more than the current gen consoles, so obviously flat out "sold" number just might, MIGHT, mean jack shit, no?
I'm nothing if not informative in my rage. Basically, it's a valid question, but since it is (as I mentioned) logistically impossible to track the status of every system out there, most companies just gauge the health of the market by software sales. You can see it clearly this generation because the highest selling home console is not the console seeing the best software support. That's also why the PS2 isn't supported anymore. It's not because they got magic info about how many PS2s were being shoved aside in favour of newer systems, it's because they watched the pattern of the software sales.

Anyway, if half the Wii systems were in the garbage, it would still be first place in sales. Nothing can take that title away short of selling more units than the Wii. But it would point to an unhealthy software market, which is generally the thing publishers and chaps like us care about. Fortunately, we don't have to know if half the Wiis sold are in the garbage to know the kind of market it offers software providers.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
lsslave said:
For someone interested in the economics of the industry those questions should be valid.

... no.

As I said earlier in the thread, and apparently got ignored, it does not make sense to attempt to micro-analyze who is doing what with their consoles. Maybe some people buy a console and never use it. Maybe some people buy two and use both. Maybe some people buy one, it breaks, and they buy another one. There's no reason to believe that these are issues that specifically affect one console over any other, because software tie ratios have slowly but steadily increased for all three consoles and are well in line with the expected numbers.

If you want to determine how much software selling power an install base has, look at the software sales numbers (yearly or as a smoothed time series if you're looking for "current" selling power, lifetime if you're looking for an overall picture), not trying to extrapolate some model of emotional-financial attachment to consoles.

Segata reacted the way he did because 100% of the time, historically, on GAF, when people have attempted to argue that industry standard measurements are "biased" in some way, and need to be supplanted by some sort of elaborate and subjective construction, they're doing so because they have an angle. Maybe you're the first not to.

Top Bottom