• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 ESRB info confirms combat with firearms, explosives, chainsaws, more

What are you expecting the actual gameplay reveal of Resident Evil 7 to look like?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Riposte

Resident+evil+6+what+a+twist_7027f2_3792693.jpg

I love that Jake and Chris hate each other on a purely instinctual level. At one point Jake puts a gun to Chris's forehead and Chris is like "do it bitch".

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I like how people assume it's just another hide'n'seek game when weapons aren't shown but talked about, now that we have confirmation there's weapons, some people assume it's just another FPS.

I will say this again, I think RE7 holds a lot of promise, but we shall see in time.

Yea, wont hype this game, need to see the actual thing first.

Yep. We have a thread about how a game thats supposedly releasing in 6 months has a feature confirmed via text description and people are excited. Its baffling to me. We should see some actual gameplay by now. I'm sure come release we'll have a whole new thread of people bitching and moaning because they let their hype get the best of them. Again.

Yep. We have a thread about how a game thats supposedly releasing in 6 months has a feature confirmed via text description and people are excited. Its baffling to me. We should see some actual gameplay by now. I'm sure come release we'll have a whole new thread of people bitching and moaning because they let their hype get the best of them. Again.

The ESRB thing didn't get me excited. I knew it'd have weapons/combat. The developers confirmed this back around E3; it wasn't confirmed here. There's really nothing new here. It's called Resident Evil 7 and is a mainline installment so I'm not sure why I shouldn't expect it to be a Resident Evil title. They've said that as they reveal more and more that it will start to "click" as to why it's the next installment, but I hope they don't show and tell everything. I still want to go in with an aura of mystery surrounding the story and how it fits into the grander scheme.

As far as people getting hyped, maybe they're just confident that the game will be cool and a new Resident Evil is going to get people hyped. I actually hate the term "hyped" because to some people it insinuates that people who are "hyped" are blindly so. I'm very excited, but could it turn out bad or not what I want out of the series? I... guess? Anything's possible.

Dusk Golem

The ESRB thing didn't get me excited. I knew it'd have weapons/combat. The developers confirmed this back around E3. There's really nothing new here. It's called Resident Evil 7 and is a mainline installment so I'm not sure why I shouldn't expect it to be a Resident Evil title. They've said that as they reveal more and more that it will start to "click" as to why it's the next installment, but I hope they don't show and tell everything. I still want to go in with an aura of mystery surrounding the story and how it fits into the grander scheme.

As far as people getting hyped, maybe they're just confident that the game will be cool and a new Resident Evil is going to get people hyped. I actually hate the term "hyped" because to some people it insinuates that people who are "hyped" are blindly so. I'm very excited, but could it turn out bad or not what I want out of the series? I... guess? Anything's possible.

There is a bit new here, the weapons doesn't surprise me as much but there being a flamethrower/chainsaw I didn't quite expect. It also plays into a smaller theory I've had which may or may not come to light.
I am fully suspecting that chainsaw is not just something we find laying around, I think we may have a chainsaw stalker who we eventually defeat to get his chainsaw. There's a larger picture here that this fits into I'm theorizing, but it's just a theory. Some of the weapons shown in the key art also looked like things that enemies would wield, so maybe a lot of your arsenal comes from things that first try to kill you.

There is a bit new here, the weapons doesn't surprise me as much but there being a flamethrower/chainsaw I didn't quite expect. It also plays into a smaller theory I've had which may or may not come to light.
I am fully suspecting that chainsaw is not just something we find laying around, I think we may have a chainsaw stalker who we eventually defeat to get his chainsaw.

Of course, they didn't confirm a chainsaw or flamethrower. Technically that's new. I'm just talking about the game having firearms and melee combat. It doesn't surprise me in the least to hear that these weapons are going to be in the game.

Dusk Golem

Also, for those curious, here's the weapons we have confirmed at this point:

-Handgun
-Shotgun
-Grenade Launcher
-Grenades
-Knife
-Axe
-Sickle
-Pitchfork
-Flamethrower
-Chainsaw

There may be others and/or multiple versions of some of the guns, but those were all in the keyart, now +flamethrower/chainsaw.

Jawmuncher

Of course, they didn't confirm a chainsaw or flamethrower. Technically that's new. I'm just talking about the game having firearms and melee combat. It doesn't surprise me in the least to hear that these weapons are going to be in the game.

I mean the chainsaw is only new when it comes to being in the players hands. It kind of reminds me of the energy sword in Halo. Just we had to wait way longer to finally get our hands on it. Though to be fair it wouldn't have worked in the other games.

Also im not counting Revelations 2 raid special as getting the chainsaw.

Also, for those curious, here's the weapons we have confirmed at this point:

What I like about some of these is that they're very traditional/slasher type horror tropes. The first feeling I got from the E3 trailer was Texas Chainsaw Massacre; well, rather, a mix of that, the playable demo, and the newest teaser. The setting is very reminiscent of it to be sure, and I'd like to see Resident Evil take cues from those sorts of things as it's also another part of the horror genre that I love.

I guess to put it generally, I get some heavy 70's and 80's horror film vibes from what we've seen so far ranging from Texas Chainsaw to Evil Dead. I really dig that. The original was influenced by Romero stuff and this seems to take other influences.

The ESRB thing didn't get me excited. I knew it'd have weapons/combat. The developers confirmed this back around E3; it wasn't confirmed here. There's really nothing new here. It's called Resident Evil 7 and is a mainline installment so I'm not sure why I shouldn't expect it to be a Resident Evil title. They've said that as they reveal more and more that it will start to "click" as to why it's the next installment, but I hope they don't show and tell everything. I still want to go in with an aura of mystery surrounding the story and how it fits into the grander scheme.

But I'm not even talking about story locations plot etc. I'm talking about the core gameplay. "combat" could mean a number of things. For all we know it could be qte segments with a variety of weapons. Combat with weapons is too broad of a term to nail down how gameplay will actually play out.

But I'm not even talking about story locations plot etc. I'm talking about the core gameplay. "combat" could mean a number of things. For all we know it could be qte segments with a variety of weapons. Combat with weapons is too broad of a term to nail down how gameplay will actually play out.

Why would they do things like that with a perfectly capable first person perspective? I highly doubt it's going to feel "on-rails" or consist of QTE combat. Will it have instances of QTE? Possibly, in some situations. A lot of things do, but again with the perspective they're going with I see it simply as being traditional Resident Evil just in first person. You'll aim in first person, solve puzzles, etc. Right now there's no logical reason for me to suspect that they're not going to utilize the perspective properly. It leads to more precision especially relative to the older games.

Dusk Golem

It's been confirmed there's no form of QTEs in RE7, and confirmed applies to all cutscenes, gameplay, and combat.

In the demo with the axe, there were four things you could do with it. Block, light attack, charged attack, and horizontal or vertical swings.

It's been confirmed there's no form of QTEs in RE7, and confirmed applies to all cutscenes, gameplay, and combat.

In the demo with the axe, there were four things you could do with it. Block, light attack, charged attack, and horizontal or vertical swings.

Welp. Didn't know they ruled out QTE's. That's good.

Well thats good to hear. Secrets surrounding story plot etc are one thing. Basic gameplay elements shouldn't be kept in the dark.

True Fire

This game is gonna be a hit with streamers. It was a very savvy business decision to move away from third person character moments and QTEs towards first person immersion.

Well thats good to hear. Secrets surrounding story plot etc are one thing. Basic gameplay elements shouldn't be kept in the dark.

They only are for now because they're just releasing teasers hoping to incite some conversation and speculation. Despite some not being in favor of it, it's working. I like this period of analyzing things before a full blowout and it won't be a very long window as I'm thinking around TGS is when we're going to start seeing a whole lot more, and that's soon. The intention right now is to just give us nuggets until they're ready to show the game proper.

I have no problem with this; what I have a problem with is being shown a game 2-3 years in advance and be swamped with media that shows too much. A little patience will lead to seeing the actual game, and it's out pretty soon! I say to hell with years of waiting.

You know, Silent Hill 2 wasn't scary at all! Same with Alien: Isolation!

RE6 didn't have flamethrowers and chainsaws but I mean considering all the weapons and all the sick moves like suplexes you can do in RE6 I'm not exactly sure what the point was in the first place.

BBboy20

RE7-Lantern-00-711x400.jpg

At the very least, the game has guns and the game has combat.
Ah, green boxes for shells.

Chris, a man searching for his missing compatriots, Bravo team.
Claire, a woman searching for her missing brother.
Chris, a man searching for his missing sister.
Leon, a man searching for his president's missing daughter.
Chris, a man searching for his missing, presumed dead pardnuh.
1408_zpsa0d3c1fc.gif

I personally liked it better when 85% of the game was about the exploration, puzzle solving, atmosphere, and so on, but capped with really cool action setpieces. The emergency alarms, countdowns, that final monster attack on a fleeing tram... shit like that is awesome when it feels mostly standalone. I really like moments like that, but I like them better when they're not sandwiched between other big moments. The climax of RE2 felt exciting because it's really the only big action setpiece in the game. It feels less exciting to me when you go through about forty of them.

That being said, you're not wrong (though I didn't much like the story direction) and they still sorta had elements like that. I really like in the first quarter of RE5 how yeah, you fight off some hordes and such, but then you go to that underground bunker and have the first encounter with the Oroborous (sp?) creature and the symphony kicks into high gear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SppXtBx5xEE

Please don't tell me you will be stuck in a goddamn house for the entire game.
Why do you think it's called Resident Evil?

The cool thing is they could totally bait and switch, you start in this low key plantation and then god knows what. That's what I like about the team keeping shit mysterious.

The cool thing is they could totally bait and switch, you start in this low key plantation and then god knows what. That's what I like about the team keeping shit mysterious.

I'm 100 percent sure the entire game won't take place in that deteriorating mansion. I also believe we will see some familiar faces...

QaaQer

I'm just remembering the "Fear you can't forget" campaign from RE 5 where they make it out to be the scariest game ever and then it turns out you are put in shooting galleries by the end of the game, fight wacky science powered Wesker, and can have 60+ bullets in your handgun/15+ bullets in your rifle/can carry around 20+ grenade rounds. That's all.

Modern aaa game design requires the player to feel powerful and in control; horror and fear comes from not being in control and feeling vulnerable.

Now, if we are talking the comedy horror in cheeseball movies, re7 might give you that.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm 100 percent sure the entire game won't take place in that deteriorating mansion. I also believe we will some familiar faces...

Of course it won't. Even the original game had the guard house, caves, and lab in addition to the Spencer mansion. I imagine we'll be spending a lot of time on the plantation but I also fully expect we'll see stuff like a swamp, caves, a lab, and so on.

Modern aaa game design requires the player to feel powerful and in control; horror and fear comes from not being in control and feeling vulnerable.

Depends. I can run around most enemies in Silent Hill but still feel the atmosphere and tension. Enemies are overrated as a source of horror. I'm rarely ever scared of enemies in horror games. If the story, art, tone, music, and all the elements key to a sense of fear work together, that's what I'm after. The zombies and shit don't scare me but the creepy atmosphere and music can make me feel uneasy.

Sort of like how you start in the mansion, you get used to it but then you enter the dormitory with a new setting and music. That's what creeps me out.

Depends. I can run around most enemies in Silent Hill but still feel the atmosphere and tension. Enemies are overrated as a source of horror. I'm rarely ever scared of enemies in horror games. If the story, art, tone, music, and all the elements key to a sense of fear work together, that's what I'm after. The zombies and shit don't scare me but the creepy atmosphere and music can make me feel uneasy.

Sort of like how you start in the mansion, you get used to it but then you enter the dormitory with a new setting and music. That's what creeps me out.

Enemies are not the source of horror. An enemy you powerless against most certainly is though(along with being extremely annoying).

Dusk Golem

For locations in the game, and potential spoilers:

It looks like the plantation is actually an estate, and not a single building, but several. It is a plantation and it's a bit spread out.

MORE SO though, there are screens of other locations. Eventually in the game there's a driving sequence, and it looks like at some point you go to the nearby town of Dulvey, Louisiana (fictional town in RE7 where this takes place next to). It looks like eventually the game will move away from the plantation eventually and into the southern town as something causes an outbreak from the plantation. There are shots of a most definitely urban environment, and it looks like you may end up at the police station as you meet the cop character we briefly see in a car garage with police cars in it.

AND MORE SO, in the key art and you can see very briefly in the trailer, there is a HUGE factory in the game. It looks like a big industrial area, it is in the background of the key art and looks like a final location possibly. RE commonly has 'three' main areas, this has stayed true through the whole series (though some more or less defined), I think this game will be a lot longer and more varied than some thing, but it looks like we go Baker Plantation > Dulvey, Louisiana > Industrial Facilty.

Sanctuary

Why do you think it's called Resident Evil?

That's the same logic I ended up going with way back when as well for the stupid name. But that's not entirely why.

In late 1994, Capcom Entertainment in the US was starting to ramp up marketing plans for the game that would eventually become known as Resident Evil in the US. Capcom Japan had let us know that the name of the game was going to be ‘Biohazard' in Japan, but I pointed out to the person who ran marketing at the time that it would be next to impossible for Capcom to register the name in the US.

As an example, I pointed out that a crappy DOS-based game had just come out in the US called ‘Biohazard' (not to mention the New York hardcore band of the same name) and that we'd never be able to secure the mark. As a result, the head of marketing held a company-wide contest to come up with a new name for the game.

The winner of that competition was, of course, Resident Evil, being a pun on the fact the first game was set in a mansion. For the record, Kramer voted against it, saying the name was "super-cheesy".

.Now, if we are talking the comedy horror in cheeseball movies, re7 might give you that.

qx4Bgk.gif

People have every right to still be worried based on just what they have "shown" but fuck that noise personally. My ass is strapped in, ready for RE7 survival horror all over my damn face. Now... just have to wait.

uqsEZPgpWyZJS.gif

Skeeter49

That's not how you Spell Claire :( Really hope they're not rebooting the story, that's the one thing that will bother me, love everything else we're hearing about the game. Resident Evil is a survival horror series, and it's time it finally returns to that.

I do hope we get a trailer with combat soon, but it's not weird for them to be showing the horror aspect over the combat, when the biggest gripe fans have had is the series being too focused on action lately, and when most impressions of the horror side have been fairly positive.

Didn't they say the E3 trailer/ demo wasn't part of the game, and that the trailer at Gamescom was a video you would find in the game, that you would watch, meaning it's not part of the gameplay unless you play the parts of the video like you did in the demo.

Dusk Golem

That's not how you Spell Claire :( Really hope they're not rebooting the story, that's the one thing that will bother me, love everything else we're hearing about the game. Resident Evil is a survival horror series, and it's time it finally returns to that.

I do hope we get a trailer with combat soon, but it's not weird for them to be showing the horror aspect over the combat, when the biggest gripe fans have had is the series being too focused on action lately, and when most impressions of the horror side have been fairly positive.

Not rebooting the story, this takes place in the same universe after the events of RE6, and though they haven't said directly, they have said that you'll definitely be able to tell it's a Resident Evil game as you play it,
and have hinted the main character may have something to do with the series past

But I don't think there will be many returning faces in this, as it takes place in an incident I don't think most of the other series veterans saw coming. Local ghost stories that only led to a few people missing over the course of years turning into something much bigger than that.

So was RE7 known as Project DOOMS at one point? These are from Capcom's CEDEC presentation on the tech they're using with RE7

img-2500_hqm2.1920hwut6.jpg

img-2503_ngnd.1920g2uv1.jpg

img-2504_342t.1920ssuq1.jpg

img-2490_9n2f.19200yuuw.jpg

img-2491_j2ff.1920wbu3c.jpg

img-2492_tbzu.1920fzuhu.jpg

img-2498_nf57.1920yzu2j.jpg

img-2501_d1r3.1920xiua4.jpg

img-2534_vkk5.1920m3unj.jpg

img-2535_y6n3.1920xoud8.jpg

img-2599_sh5d.1920eau33.jpg

img-2600_1dtn.1920wiuqq.jpg

img-2601_p5cf.1920you4g.jpg

img-2605_dujs.192091ua2.jpg

img-2607_3hfc.19203xugb.jpg

http://jp.ign.com/cedec-2016/

They also apparently used the tech on Umbrella Corps, which is why you can see some of those models in the gallery, so it's hard to say if some are from RE7, canned projects, or something else. The Family Man and the guy in the suit (Pete from the demo) are obviously RE7 content.

Jawmuncher

Late as hell bump, but we know who has the chainsaw now

maxresdefault.jpg

a character's arm dismembered by a chainsaw; a man's leg taken off at the knee with a shovel; a character impaled through the face with a shovel.

This might all happen to jack

Top Bottom