• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 ESRB info confirms combat with firearms, explosives, chainsaws, more

What are you expecting the actual gameplay reveal of Resident Evil 7 to look like?

Results are only viewable after voting.
What would be great was the developers would actually show a trailer of what the fucking game play actually looks like rather than having people speculate about it.

No kidding. Everything about this game has looked like utter generic shit. If the gameplay can be summed up as "Classic RE but in first person" then I'd be at least interested but we haven't actually seen anything like that yet.

Plus the characters and tone are still such a big fucking step back from 5/6

kc44135

I can see it being about maybe Umbrella kidnapping her for some reason to do experiments. But who knows, it could be anything. Like I said, that's just the basic plot jump start, who you're playing as, why he's out there. The original Silent Hill was about a guy wrecking his car and his daughter mysteriously vanishing from the crash site, but the actual story was much more than that.

Sure, I was just saying it sounded like a very generic premise, but yeah, hopefully there is more there. Still though, this is Capcom we're talking about, so I'm not expecting too much right now. Remember RE6's plot? It was about how
Simmons almost ended the world by cloning ada, so she could be his booty call. But shockingly, Carla didn't want none of it, and tried to bring about the Apocalypse. It also featured her turning Simmons turning into a giant zombie T-rex, so yeah.
. I mean, if we get anything better than that, I suppose I'd be happy.

liquidtmd

Banned
Remember RE6's plot?

Resident+evil+6+what+a+twist_7027f2_3792693.jpg

kc44135

I hear you and yet whilst I differ in opinion in that I think the main players in Resi are played out at this point, Ive got a feeling we are in for a MGS2 type unadvertised swerve.

First half - new protagonist, tense atmospheric weaponless survive em up in cabin type environments ala the demo and trailer with almost supernatural elements

Second half - hits a classic Spencer Mansion type backdrop, supporting established Resi cast show up, weapons come in and shit absolutely goes down.

That sounds really awesome, actually.

Sure, I was just saying it sounded like a very generic premise, but yeah, hopefully there is more there. Still though, this is Capcom we're talking about, so I'm not expecting too much right now. Remember RE6's plot? It was about how
Simmons almost ended the world by cloning ada, so she could be his booty call. But shockingly, Carla didn't want none of it, and tried to bring about the Apocalypse. It also featured her turning Simmons turning into a giant zombie T-rex, so yeah.
. I mean, if we get anything better than that, I suppose I'd be happy.

I feel you. That's why I'm totally fine with this seemingly more low-key plot. I'm sure it'll go into RE crazy town eventually, but I'm fine with that too. There can exist a happy medium. I think something big is going on, but probably not like... global scale stuff again. It would be neat if the story feels very small at first but grows-- sort of like how the original was just some cops that fled into a mansion after investigating murders, but it spiraled into being about the Umbrella stuff, deeper dealings, etc.

I think RE7 is going to be a lot like that.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I am very happy to hear ALL of this. Now to wait and see if it meets its expected release window. I find it very hard to believe, it just seems so quick. Hey, I hope it does.

Still definitely coming to PC, though? I sure hope so.

liquidtmd

Banned
I feel you. That's why I'm totally fine with this seemingly more low-key plot. I'm sure it'll go into RE crazy town eventually, but I'm fine with that too. There can exist a happy medium. I think something big is going on, but probably not like... global scale stuff again. It would be neat if the story feels very small at first but grows-- sort of like how the original was just some cops that fled into a mansion after investigating murders, but it spiraled into being about the Umbrella stuff, deeper dealings, etc.

I think RE7 is going to be a lot like that.

I really, really hope so.

The opening of Resident Evil started with a low key mystery of what happened to your missing team and ending with you escaping and blowing the place up. The opening of Resident Evil 6 opened with
Leon shooting the Zombie President of The United States and global backpacking concluding with ill tempered mutated T-Rexes

I don't need another Chris Redfield or Leon all-stars soap opera given another round. The new trailer and the demo really set a new tone. Its given me an appetite to buy and give it a thoroughly fair play through.

I don't need another Chris Redfield or Leon all-stars soap opera given another round. The new trailer and the demo really set a new tone. Its given me an appetite to buy and give it a thoroughly fair play through.

One of my major excitements is that they could totally pull a Metal Gear Solid 2 here. Imagine, you're playing as this Ethan dude, and there aren't any familiar faces-- until later, when you're cornered by a Tyrant or something, and then Chris fucking outta nowhere Redfield or someone shows up and saves your ass, probably just with his fists.

That would literally meet my criteria of amazing lol

People keep mentioning the fact that the villain of RE6 turned into
a T-Rex, but did everyone forget that his final form was a fucking GIANT FLY SPIDER THAT YOU FOUGHT WITH LIGHTNING?

People keep mentioning the fact that the villain of RE6 turned into
a T-Rex, but did everyone forget that his final form was a fucking GIANT FLY SPIDER THAT YOU FOUGHT WITH LIGHTNING?

Yeah but that shit was dope tbh

I do love 4-6 for their crazy over the top shenanigans and especially 5 and 6 with their big 50's monster movies bosses and epic orchestra. But I think I'm good for now.

liquidtmd

Banned
One of my major excitements is that they could totally pull a Metal Gear Solid 2 here. Imagine, you're playing as this Ethan dude, and there aren't any familiar faces-- until later, when you're cornered by a Tyrant or something, and then Chris fucking outta nowhere Redfield or someone shows up and saves your ass, probably just with his fists.

That would literally meet my criteria of amazing lol

It would be an amazing mix of contexts.

The first quarter of the game plays out like the demo, in a realistic almost Blair Witch style style. Characters appear human and just like 'normal' people but then...story elements tying into the Resi Universe start to seep in. Files. Pictures like the helicopter one in the demo indicating a strong Umbrella presence.

Then...you bump into a grizzled Chris Redfield in such a setting, a man you know has fired lasers from space at sea monsters and punched boulders like an absolute madman.

It would be a delicious turning on the head of established conventions.

So people have shifted the silly narrative from 'there's no combat in this walking simulator' to 'they haven't shown us the combat so it's going to be terrible and not good like old RE' lol gaf, never change.

Consider, for a moment that maybe theve shown us what they did simply because they wanted us to understand that big changes are coming for the next installment but they want to keep it a surprise. Not every game needs to have in depth developer diaries showing every facet of the games creation from start to finish. If what you've seen so far is keeping you from pre ordering then GREAT because pre orders are stupid. I also love that people who aren't shitting on the game without knowing much about the new direction are being called 'apologists'. There is nothing to apologize for. We simply aren't pre emptively throwing a fit because of some short teaser footage. That's called 'being rational' Please try to calm down a bit.

The first quarter of the game plays out like the demo, in a realistic almost Blair Witch style style. Characters appear human and normal people but then...story elements tying into the Resi Universe start to seep in. Files. Pictures like the helicopter one in the demo indicating a strong Umbrella presence.

Then...you bump into a grizzled Chris Redfield in such a setting, a man you know has fired lasers from space at sea monsters and punch boulders like an absolute madman.

S3Ot3hZ5bcy8o.gif

Horseticuffs

My god, if they somehow tie this in with the ridiculous aspects of the old series I think I'd just stop playing and never buy another one. I really enjoyed the more action-oriented gameplay of 4. 5 was a lot of fun but getting out there. 6? Just stop, guys.

Going back to the drawing board is perfect. We don't need another Amnesia, but we don't need to fucking play a Michael Bay film either.

Jawmuncher

My god, if they somehow tie this in with the ridiculous aspects of the old series I think I'd just stop playing and never buy another one. I really enjoyed the more action-oriented gameplay of 4. 5 was a lot of fun but getting out there. 6? Just stop, guys.

Going back to the drawing board is perfect. We don't need another Amnesia, but we don't need to fucking play a Michael Bay film either.

I don't get how RE4 is ok but RE5 is too much. RE4 had you running from a fucking statue robot.

My god, if they somehow tie this in with the old series I think I'd just stop playing and never buy another one. I really enjoyed the more action-oriented gameplay of 4. 5 was a lot of fun but getting out there. 6? Just stop, guys.

It's tied in story wise, as it takes place after 6. They're not re-writing the lore, but it is a new direction... sort of... I don't know yet. I mean, it looks like it could just simply be old school Resident Evil but in first person. Everything you did in those games would align perfectly with the perspective, only with better aiming and such.

Consider, for a moment that maybe theve shown us what they did simply because they wanted us to understand that big changes are coming for the next installment but they want to keep it a surprise. Not every game needs to have in depth developer diaries showing every facet of the games creation from start to finish. If what you've seen so far is keeping you from pre ordering then GREAT because pre orders are stupid. I also love that people who aren't shitting on the game without knowing much about the new direction are being called 'apologists'. There is nothing to apologize for. We simply aren't pre emptively throwing a fit because of some short teaser footage. That's called 'being rational' Please try to calm down a bit.

I think people are just waiting to see more familiar RE elements. The teasers have been vague, and while on purpose, it doesn't excite everyone. While I can understand that to a degree, there's a difference between waiting and seeing while speculating what's going on with the provided media so far, and immediately writing it off as not Resident Evil, a PT clone, an Amnesia clone, a Slender clone, a... whatever, just because it's in first person.

I don't get how RE4 is ok but RE5 is too much. RE4 had you running from a fucking statue robot.

Fuckin' this right here. I have no idea how RE6 was the one that went off the deep end relative to the two that preceded it. 4 was the one that took the entire series off the deep end and drowned the story with its bare hands.

Horseticuffs

Yeah, true. They both had really silly parts to them. I really liked some parts of 5 but it just seemed more out there, and the setting of 4 was just so perfect for me. I really just want them to dial it back on the over the top antics before, 4 games from now, we have a robot zombie Chris Redfield beating to death a living train bioengineered with Wesker's DNA with his bare hands before ascending to godhood.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, true. They both had really silly parts to them. I really liked some parts of 5 but it just seemed more out there, and the setting of 4 was just so perfect for me. I really just want them to dial it back on the over the top antics before, 4 games from now, we have a robot zombie Chris Redfield beating a living train bioengineered with Wesker's DNA with his bare hands before ascending to godhood.

I definitely do think they were listening about the over the top complaints. While I don't think it will ever completely go away, since it's kind of in the series DNA. I do think they'll make it so that it blends in a bit more. While I would totally love to see what you described, yeah I think they know not to go that far.

liquidtmd

Banned
I honestly remember the first time I shook my head on discovering that Wesker was back in the series post RE1 and thought

'but thats SILLY - he was ripped to bits by the Tyrant'

Man I was a sweet summer child using that as a yardstick of RE plot sillyness

Jake2by4

The seeds were absolutely planted. That's when Wesker decided it was time to use viruses for superpowers.

I honestly remember the first time I shook my head on discovering that Wesker was back in the series post RE1 and thought

'but thats SILLY - he was ripped to bits by the Tyrant'

Man I was a sweet summer child using that as a yardstick of RE plot sillyness

I wonder what the series would have been story wise if Mikami would have did 5

The logic was already flawed in 2002, true.

I think most people call an FPS as such because there's a focus on the shooting; that's what it's about pretty much if not 100%. Metroid Prime has plenty of shooting and combat, but another heavy focus is the exploration. I don't know that I would call it an FPS; probably not, just basically... an adventure game with shooting but in first person. So... an adventure game. The difference between say Super Metroid and Metroid Prime is exactly how I feel about Resident Evil ---> Resident Evil 7.

Resident Evil 4,5,6 all felt like a natural escalation of the batshit insanity the series was always known for.

I personally liked it better when 85% of the game was about the exploration, puzzle solving, atmosphere, and so on, but capped with really cool action setpieces. The emergency alarms, countdowns, that final monster attack on a fleeing tram... shit like that is awesome when it feels mostly standalone. I really like moments like that, but I like them better when they're not sandwiched between other big moments. The climax of RE2 felt exciting because it's really the only big action setpiece in the game. It feels less exciting to me when you go through about forty of them.

That being said, you're not wrong (though I didn't much like the story direction) and they still sorta had elements like that. I really like in the first quarter of RE5 how yeah, you fight off some hordes and such, but then you go to that underground bunker and have the first encounter with the Oroborous (sp?) creature and the symphony kicks into high gear.

Jake2by4

Resident Evil 4,5,6 all felt like a natural escalation of the batshit insanity the series was always known for.

I like how this game is going for the "isolated incident" that our known characters can't tackle cause they have more Global crisis to attend to.

Jawmuncher

I like how this game is going for the "isolated incident" that our known characters can't tackle cause they have more Global crisis to attend to.

It's one of the reasons i'm glad that they didn't reboot. As much as people dislike 4-6, they really do in a way feel like a normal progression of sorts for those types of characters. Would be odd for our heroes to always be in the same low ammo, removed from everyone, environments.

This way the older heroes are still around doing their own thing, while some new blood can go back to those sorts of encounters. It's especially reassuring that even capcom basically acknowledges the classic crew as super hero's and with the upcoming movie. They don't want to get rid of that necessarily.

What actually excites me is that after RE4 told me that I wouldn't be on a mission to take down Umbrella again because their stocks fell (lol fuck me), RE7 could definitely re-align it all.

Jawmuncher

What actually excites me is that after RE4 told me that I wouldn't be on a mission to take down Umbrella again because their stocks fell (lol fuck me), RE7 could definitely re-align it all.

The way they handled the fall of Umbrella with RE4 and Umbrella Chronicles. I bet to this day is capcoms biggest regret with the series. Since everything they have tried (Tricell, Neo-Umbrella, etc) just hasn't stuck at all.

velociraptor

I'm really not sure what to expect with this new 'RE7'.

RE4 and RE5 were both memorable adventures. Both games took you to a number of varied locales, great bosses and great combat.

RE7 on the other hand looks like a good game to play if you want to fall asleep. Please don't tell me you will be stuck in a goddamn house for the entire game.

Top Bottom