• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 ESRB info confirms combat with firearms, explosives, chainsaws, more

What are you expecting the actual gameplay reveal of Resident Evil 7 to look like?

Results are only viewable after voting.
You guys realize that description does not suggest Chainsaw combat right? It is specifically referenced as a gorey cutscene

Edit: Oh sorry! I'm a dumb dumb, didn't notice two different chainsaw references

kc44135

Whew, that sounds more like the RE I know and love. Still strange that they haven't actually shown combat yet, and also strange that ESRB is doing a better job selling me on this game than Capcom. Anyways, this is great. Can't wait to see more of the game now.

Scotia

Banned
Also, protagonist is named Ethan, and he is looking for his wife in the mansion, as pointed out by Gematsu

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis...esident+Evil+7

Content Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Strong Language

Rating Summary: This is a survival-horror game in which players assume the role of Ethan, a man searching for his missing wife in a derelict mansion. From a first-person perspective, players explore the environment and use pistols, shotguns, flamethrowers, explosives and chainsaws to kill mutant creatures. Combat is accompanied by realistic gunfire, screams of pain, and exaggerated blood-splatter effects. As players progress through the story, cutscenes can depict instances of gore and intense acts of violence: a character's arm dismembered by a chainsaw; a man's leg taken off at the knee with a shovel; a character impaled through the face with a shovel. Some areas also depict mutilated corpses with exposed organs/viscera. The words “f**k” and “sh*t” are heard in the dialogue.

This all sounds awesome. Just hope Capcom show some of this off at TGS.

kc44135

You guys realize that description does not suggest Chainsaw combat right? It is specifically referenced as a gorey cutscene

Yes, and that's a very good thing. I want guns to be the focus of RE7's combat, not melee weapons.

Edit: Actually, the description does make it sound like you can fight things with a chainsaw. Hmm, not sure how I feel about that. Hopefully it's just a one-off thing or something.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

players explore the environment and use pistols, shotguns, flamethrowers, explosives and chainsaws to kill mutant creatures

Chainsaw combat baby !

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
But I was looking forward to a shameless & cynical note-for-note ripoff of Amnesia!

Voted for option #5, Dying Light

ethomaz

Banned
I'm being flippant more than anything because this is the first news that has interested me since E3 about the game. I've never been an Amnesia/Outlast fan, so the more info like this that is released, the happier I am about buying the game at full price. I'd still prefer Classic/RE 4 style game perspective and all, but if this is just Classic/RE 4 + FPS then I'm more than fine with it.
Well this news is really old... they confirmed all these stuffs at E3...

But people choose to focus on a demo that is not part of the game showing how puzzles will works in the final game.

kc44135

That's quite the 180.

Actually, what we "know" is:

1. They said that they didn't want players to feel as helpless as they are in a game like Amnesia.
2. There will be combat.

This says absolutely nothing what so ever about how much combat there actually will be. The apologists for what they haven't shown yet are amazing. Is this bizarro world where you show the least compelling aspects of your game first to entice people? If anything, this feels more like the game isn't even close to being half finished, and they can't show the combat, because it's not even implemented yet.
This is exactly how I feel. If you've got awesome combat, you should SHOW it to people. The marketing for this game is absolutely bizarre. However, the ESRB's description is really reassuring to me. It sounds much more like the game I actually want it to be. It just seems like Capcom is more clueless about their marketing and what their fanbase wants, than anything else. Also, like you said, it makes me wonder if this game will actually be ready come January. I have a feeling we could be looking at a major delay here, if they aren't ready to show off combat.

After NMS people have been wanting more than just promises it seems

Anyone with common sense saw the NMS failure coming two years ago. And I'm not sure what that has to do with this. This wasn't a no-name indie developer promising the most revolutionary game of the decade, but Capcom saying that the structure of their soon-to-be-released title takes notes from how they did things in the past successfully and that their series that always had combat still has combat.

kc44135

Well this news is really old... they confirmed all these stuffs at E3...

But people choose to focus on a demo that is not part of the game showing how puzzles will works in the final game.

We knew there were guns, and that there was some form of combat. That could mean so many things, though. Can you really blame anyone for being skeptical when all they've shown is a demo that was nothing more than a walking simulator, and that Lantern "Gameplay" trailer that was straight up trying to invoke Amnesia and Outlast? The marketing for a game should accurately convey what a game is going to be like, not showcase it as something it's not. We were being told one thing by the Devs, and shown something completely different in the marketing, and I think that's where all the confusion and frustration with this game came from.

ethomaz

Banned
We knew there were guns, and that there was some form of combat. That could mean so many things, though. Can you really blame anyone for being skeptical when all they've shown is a demo that was nothing more than a walking simulator, and that Lantern "Gameplay" trailer that was straight up trying to invoke Amnesia and Outlast? The marketing for a game should accurately convey what a game is going to be like, not showcase it as something it's not. We were being told one thing by the Devs, and shown something completely different in the marketing, and I think that's where all the confusion and frustration with this game came from.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

They choose at E3 to show 7 demos/trailers showing differents elements of the game.

Right now they showed 2 of them via VHS...

- Puzzles (why show gun combat if you want to show puzzles???)
- Hide and seek (how you make a child victim to use guns to fight? Of course this VHS will be hide and seek)

It is pretty clear combat is one of the seven.

Resident Evil 7 shaping up great first RE I'll be buying since 4. Really can't wait for this much needed shake up to the series.

Might as well play something like Slender: The Arrival in the meantime, as RE7 is clearly just a shameless copy of those first person indie games.

Sounds like something Sean Murray would say about No Man's Sky.

So what are they supposed to do? If they show a lot of the game they'll be criticized like Naughty Dog was for showing a lot of Uncharted 3, if they don't then apparently they're making NMS.

Saven

Banned
The more I see and heat about this game, the more I get excited about it.

Man, I haven't been this excited for an RE game in a long time, like in over a decade. :)

DR2K

Banned
You mean there's going to be combat with weapons in a resident evil game? This concept just sounds so fresh and exciting.

Shihon

Might as well play something like Slender: The Arrival in the meantime, as RE7 is clearly just a shameless copy of those first person indie games.

THIS!

L5Nkith.jpg

Also mutant creatures,derelict mansion,and searching for your missing wife? Silent Hill 2 all over again,I mean come on. These cliche story pitches are so overdone thats its tiring,boring,and unoriginal.

kc44135

Correct me if I'm wrong.

They choose at E3 to show 7 demos/trailers showing differents elements of the game.

Right now they showed 2 of them via VHS...

- Puzzles (why show gun combat if you want to show puzzles???)
- Hide and seek (how you make a child victim to use guns to fight? Of course this VHS will be hide and seek)

It is pretty clear combat is one of the seven.

7 demo's/trailers? Haven't heard of that before. Did they state that was their plan?

That doesn't make sense, we already know everything about the game from two teasers

What would be great was the developers would actually show a trailer of what the fucking game play actually looks like rather than having people speculate about it.

So why the fuck are they wasting time with these anti-hype teasers? Trying to sell people on slow paced VR horror when you've got a visceral action shooter underneath seems counterproductive, when the latter sells far more than the former.

Neff

Sounds really dull, compounds the idea of the main character being an average joe, not to mention another slice of evidence that Capcom wants to brute force the Silent Hill audience into the RE experience, no matter how artistically incompatible.

Besides Barry, since when was a RE protagonist ever married, anyway? They're all supposed to be young, unattached sex machines.

The premise of Silent Hill 2 is about a man looking for his dead wife and it turned out great.

I thought it sucked, and I say this as someone who likes the first Silent Hill.

The premise of Silent Hill 2 is about a man looking for his dead wife and it turned out great.

I think they're trying to say that since it's been done before, it's generic.

The problem with this logic is that a basic premise is not the story. Silent Hill 2's usage of it ended up being brilliant because of the story that followed. We literally know nothing about RE7's story beyond its setup.

It's no different than the first-person = Amnesia spinoff junk.

Sounds really dull, compounds the idea of the main character being an average joe, not to mention another slice of evidence that Capcom wants to brute force the Silent Hill audience into the RE experience, no matter how artistically incompatible.

This is conjecture at its finest.

...but now we're mortal enemies.

So why the fuck are they wasting time with these anti-hype teasers? Trying to sell people on slow paced VR horror when you've got a visceral action shooter underneath seems counterproductive, when the latter sells far more than the former.

It's generating a lot of buzz that's for sure.

Nyoro SF

It's been so long since I played L4D2, that gif still makes me laugh my ass off. The physics in that game were something special all right.

Kuraudo

Banned
Chris, a man searching for his missing compatriots, Bravo team.
Claire, a woman searching for her missing brother.
Chris, a man searching for his missing sister.
Leon, a man searching for his president's missing daughter.
Chris, a man searching for his missing, presumed dead pardnuh.

Dy_Cy

Between the premise and the melee focused weapons it sound a lot more like Silent Hill than Resident Evil, so I still need to see more of this game (though I respect their intention to keep the mystery).

I just need to know if there are giant snakes/alligators.

It's generating a lot of buzz that's for sure.

A mountain of negative attention and griping isn't the same as hype.

If the best thing you can say about a gameplay trailer is "don't worry, the game doesn't actually play like that", why does that trailer exist? It defeats the express purpose of trailers!

rtcn63

If it's close to being a first-person The Evil Within I can live with it. Hopefully Revelations 3 will carry the mantle of 3rd-person semi-action.

If the best thing you can say about a gameplay trailer is "don't worry, the game doesn't actually play like that", why does that trailer exist? It defeats the express purpose of trailers!

It's not out until January. They don't really need to start marketing proper until 2-3 months out from that. If anything they generally splooge on games to the point where they show too much and build too much hype. They have a mysterious story/setting that they're revealing by trickling out small teasers until they're ready to go head-on, and I appreciate that a fuckton more than showing a game 2-3 years away. I presume that starting with TGS in September and on, we'll probably start to see too much, and then people will start making reverse arguments.

A mountain of negative attention and griping isn't the same as hype.

You're not allowed to judge games on what developers actually show any more, hadn't you heard.

Still weird people mocking others who say it has looked like an Amnesia style game in trailers... when that is literally all we've seen. Of course people are going to think that.

Besides Barry, since when was a RE protagonist ever married, anyway? They're all supposed to be young, unattached sex machines.

I think they're trying to say that since it's been done before, it's generic.

The problem with this logic is that a basic premise is not the story. Silent Hill 2's usage of it ended up being brilliant because of the story that followed. We literally know nothing about RE7's story beyond its setup.

It's no different than the first-person = Amnesia spinoff junk.

This is conjecture at its finest.

...but now we're mortal enemies.

I understand what you guys are saying and a I agree. But with this premise we'll get lots of questions like "Why my wife is missing?" "Why this creatures exist?" "What the hell is this mansion?" "Who's behind this?". That's sounds a lot like RE 1 and I think that's what they want.

And about the main character being an average joe I think that's what they want. Then progressing through the game he won't be an average joe anymore because we'll get to know him like we did with the previous characters in the series.

Top Bottom