• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 ESRB info confirms combat with firearms, explosives, chainsaws, more

What are you expecting the actual gameplay reveal of Resident Evil 7 to look like?

Results are only viewable after voting.

wiibomb

I'm just remembering the "Fear you can't forget" campaign from RE 5 where they make it out to be the scariest game ever and then it turns out you are put in shooting galleries by the end of the game, fight wacky science powered Wesker, and can have 60+ bullets in your handgun/15+ bullets in your rifle/can carry around 20+ grenade rounds. That's all.

I don't see how you can say this is remotely close to what RE5 was in terms of atmosphere... we have already seen 2 demos

That's quite the 180.

Not really. I'm just not freaking out. The game could still underwhelm. In fact, knowing Capcom, I wouldn't be surprised at all if I end up disliking the game. But not showing every aspect of RE7 yet doesn't bother me. Obviously they should show combat at some point. Maybe the next demo at TGS will focus on it.

TreIII

Alright, that's MUCH better. Still like to see actual footage of this in action, but certainly nice of ESRB to give us more details than Capcom has in the last few months.

Akiller

My hype would probably triple if I saw just a tiny bit of combat.

I mean , what do people actually expect from RE7 combat? Given the context and the first person view of the game surely we wont see any round kicks, suplexs or mega punches. I'd say a slower paced fps style shooter and thats it imo.

I don't see how you can say this is remotely close to what RE5 was in terms of atmosphere... we have already seen 2 demos

Neither of which were scary and full of cheese with "Welcome to the family, son" and an old granny running after you with all the trappings of linear "scary" games like the enemy totally falling for the fact that you are hiding just around the corner despite breathing as loud as you can and narrating to yourself and never seeming to realize that you are just 4 feet ahead of her despite being in her direct line of sight.

The faster they start showing other elements of the game, the better (for me).

It's an off hand comment. Is it weird that I've never found RE to be scary and find it funny that they are trying so hard to make it scary? As apprehensive as I am about the changes, the truth of the matter is that it probably hasn't changed that much from previous entries and I wouldn't have found it scary to begin with and I'll find it less so when I use a chainsaw to kill a zombie.

Even if the PS1 titles aren't scary, the sole attempt made the atmosphere at least moody and inherently different from 4-6. REmake is scary.

Sanctuary

That poll is awesome.

Even if the PS1 titles aren't scary, the sole attempt made the atmosphere at least moody and inherently different from 4-6. REmake is scary.

I know a lot of people like to hindsight claim "it wasn't scary", but joybuzzer moments are actually startling for most humans. Maybe anticipating those moments aren't what your definition of dread would be, but they startle you when you encounter them for the first time at the very least.
REmake was not any more "scary" than the original game either. It just had an enhanced atmosphere. Funny enough, RE4 had a similar atmosphere, but of course that doesn't count because it had more action.

Sesha

I find myself doubting Capcoms ability to make an FPS that feels good to play. Have they ever made an FPS before?

The Gun Survivor series, and partially Umbrella Corps. However, they've made some of the finest TPS combat ever, rivalled only by a handful of games. It's not like making an FPS requires some magical formula that only a select few can do. RE456 had great combat. It'll probably be fine.

Actually, what we "know" is:

1. They said that they didn't want players to feel as helpless as they are in a game like Amnesia.
2. There will be combat.

This says absolutely nothing what so ever about how much combat there actually will be. The apologists for what they haven't shown yet are amazing. Is this bizarro world where you show the least compelling aspects of your game first to entice people? If anything, this feels more like the game isn't even close to being half finished, and they can't show the combat, because it's not even implemented yet.

They've said there will be combat, we've had a key art depicting various weapons, and now there's an ESRB that backs up those claims. The amount of actual combat is an entirely separate matter. Maybe that's what you're actually interested in talking about, but in which case your words and your intentions were at odds.

"least compelling" is subjective. Least compelling for some is the bees-knees for others. The E3 reveal was very well received. Overall, footage receives only a minority of negative feedback. Marketing in general has been sparse. We've had two trailers and one demo so far in the two months of the game's public existence. We're still 5 months away from release. Maybe combat isn't ready, or maybe they're focused on demonstrating how they're bringing horror back to the franchise, before showing off weapons and combat. Proving the former requires more convincing because the latter is something everyone expects from an RE game.

???

RE6 had a full range of weapons in every field like any other Shooter. RE1&2 had flamethrowers, machine guns and rocket launchers.

Chris had a mini gun in the RE5.

Not to mention the explosive action packed Michael Bay Style RE6. You can shoot rockets from a Harrier!!!!!!!!!!!!

Venom Fox

Banned
Told you guys that there will be weapons because Capcom told us there will be.

Oh and where's that guy who said "forgotten No Man's Sky already"?

Wow, im shocked that this game got an ESRB rating already. I was certain it was going to be delayed far into next year. I guess it may actually hit its Jan release date?

Ya may want to put a 56k modem user warning on the thread title... My 486 almost exploded when I loaded up the page in Netscape.

Anyway this is good news for the crazy people who don't like being helpless/vulnerable in their horror games.

FinKL

Lmfao, amazing poll.

Funny how we always expect the worst now a days in what we think is gonna happen, even though I want .gif 1 to be what I want.

Funny enough, RE4 had a similar atmosphere, but of course that doesn't count because it had more action.

No.
If at all, only for like 10% of the game. Yet the way the ,,classic" horror segments are presented became weirder and more blatant on each walkthrough. You spend all that time on big battlefields, gunning down tons of cannon fodder. During the beginning, the intent was to create panic, but even that is a completely different mood from the previous games. By the end, obviously it's just a shooter.
Only during a handful of occasions, the mood changes to traditional horror. Which was always very akward, especially since it usually happens after entering a single door. On one side you have a battlefield, on the other side, just from one second to the next, there's not a single ganado to be found. Music changes from ,,thrilling" to typical ,,low key" for one or two bigger ,,scary" enemies and 10 minutes later you get back into the battlefield, as if you had entered a completely different game.

Lulubop

wswJiCpM7mxRX5_Xj8ygvGn_XwWNJDvhtEKopDOD0mn2lZklkaIpStaqAh54cAU1oJwwHxhL=s630-fcrop64=1,00000000ffffffff

I'm being flippant more than anything because this is the first news that has interested me since E3 about the game. I've never been an Amnesia/Outlast fan, so the more info like this that is released, the happier I am about buying the game at full price. I'd still prefer Classic/RE 4 style game perspective and all, but if this is just Classic/RE 4 + FPS then I'm more than fine with it.

Shin-Ra

Not too surprised.

ResiViolence.gif

Now if those scenes are carefully directed to shock like the earlier games, then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Gaz_RB

The Gun Survivor series, and partially Umbrella Corps. However, they've made some of the finest TPS combat ever, rivalled only by a handful of games. It's not like making an FPS requires some magical formula that only a select few can do. RE456 had great combat. It'll probably be fine.

Getting FPS controls right (especially in VR) is a whole different beast, though I agree they created some great TPS controls ( after a lot of iteration ).

And Umbrella Corps controls terribly.

AY4L

Banned
that's all i needed to hear. I'm imagining outlast with guns, and because of that, this will be the first Resident Evil I ever own or play

Jawmuncher

Getting FPS controls right (especially in VR) is a whole different beast, though I agree they created some great TPS controls ( after a lot of iteration ).

And Umbrella Corps controls terribly.

I wouldn't say it controls terrible. It has the fundamentals down, but the poor budget does make it more clunky than it should be.

The same control scheme with a bigger budget would be fine.

Jake2by4

Was this actually on the PSX? I honestly can't remember, since 99% of the time I saw that on the Saturn while playing all of their fighting games.

edit: Nvm, I guess it was added with RE2.

If they added these 2 things in 7 it would be grand but I feel Remake2 would be better suited.

Voliko

I'm all for some combat (RE shouldn't be Clocktower) but I'm doubtful the combat will be as good in first person. Anything's better than the point and fire of the classic games though.

Top Bottom