• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Ranker (Capcom x RPG x PSP) Information Thread

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Normal battles look a bit like padding in this game, since the 1-on-1 ranked matches with that extra bar at the bottom of the screen are the focus. I'm guessing they might be more exciting when you get more SP?

duckroll

That piece of art is actually part of a larger poster image. I'm really shocked that it isn't the cover for the game. It's vertical, and it looks AWESOME. Much like the BoF5 cover art in Japan. I would love to have that on my wall.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Normal battles look a bit like padding in this game, since the 1-on-1 ranked matches with that extra bar are the bottom of the screen are the focus. I'm guess they're more exciting when you get more SP?

The bar at the bottom is just the break gauge. Obviously the 1-on-1 ranked matches are going to play differently, since the game is designed around both sorts of battles, but I don't think it's really "filler" here. It's like a normal RPG battle.

What the gameplay here doesn't show is that while you have weak attack, heavy attack, sub weapon and guard mapped to the face buttons, you also have skills which you map to the face buttons and the L button, and you pull those off by holding R as a toggle, and then press L or the face buttons.

lr16.jpg

Each equipment type also has a Style, and you can set a main style and a sub style to determine what your primary form of attack is going to be I believe.

lr15.jpg

jj984jj

Normal battles don't look exactly as I expected coming from Niinou is what I meant. I guess he can't put you in difficult situations all the time since you only have Zig instead of a party, but it was early on(?) so maybe it'll pick up.

All the customization and the GUI looks as fantastic as I thought it would, Niinou doesn't disappoint. :D

KTallguy

Banned
So I see a lot of stuff about the game's ranking system and stuff. That's cool that all of these people have a rank and you challenge them and stuff.

But overall is it just a game about getting a high rank?
It seems like there is a de-emphasis on the overall narrative, which I kind of don't like.
Basically the question is, is this a Monster Hunter type game, or more of an narrative driven game?

Thanks for cutting the battle footage out of that long promotional video. 雑草 heals you, lol.
I think the basic battle system looks great, and I LOVE how fast you enter battle and how quickly the battles flow. But it does look a bit too simple, despite the speed...

I see that there is potential for some more depth with the sub weapon system, but I'm really wondering how much they are hiding. I wonder if you break different opponents different ways, if it is always determined by your weapon layout, if you can exchange guard for dodge, if you can counter hit, if there is any kind of magic or supplementary spells, etc.

With Crisis Core you had rolling around to dodge attacks, two types of basic melee, long range magic, buffing magic, blocking, and summons and stuff. I really enjoyed battling in Crisis Core, even though it could get repetitive, but I wonder if this game will have enough variety.

The art is great (although I wish it was less wacky and more grounded, like BoFV) and I'm still optimistic!

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Normal battles don't look exactly as I expected coming from Niinou is what I meant. I guess he can't put you in difficult situations all the time since you only have Zig instead of a party, but it was early on(?) so maybe it'll pick up.

All the customization and the GUI looks as fantastic as I thought it would, Niinou doesn't disappoint. :D

In the first battle he fought against 2 larger enemies, without blocking he took a ton of damage, and it took quite a few hits to kill off a single one of them. You have to remember, Last Ranker is not a dungeon crawler like EO, so there's no reason to balance it like that. Even then, in both EO and 7th Dragon, it is not the regular enemies which would wipe your party out, but the combination of attrition from multiple normal encounters, and running into a tough visible enemy.

There's no reason to believe that Last Ranker will be any different. If you get worn out while traveling through a dungeon, and you use up your supply of healing, who's to say a boss battle against a monster, or a ranking battle by someone you meet at the end won't kill you? Food for thought. :)

KTallguy said:
So I see a lot of stuff about the game's ranking system and stuff. That's cool that all of these people have a rank and you challenge them and stuff.

But overall is it just a game about getting a high rank?
It seems like there is a de-emphasis on the overall narrative, which I kind of don't like.
Basically the question is, is this a Monster Hunter type game, or more of an narrative driven game?

No. It is not a game about "getting a high rank". The ranking system is a part of the worldview and gameplay, which also serves as a sort of narrative hook. The main character leaves his village in search of something better. He joins this empire which has control over most of the world. This empire also runs the entire ranking system where they believe might is right, so the strongest people in the world have the most power and say.

In this setting, there are tons of characters, cutscenes, events, etc. It's a real RPG, with a fully voiced storyline. The concept of getting stronger and being number 1 are important narrative hooks when writing a shounen manga style RPG - which is what Niinou wanted to do for this game.

Aeana

I'm viewing the rank like the d-ratio in Dragon Quarter, even though I know it isn't quite the same thing.

Aeana

That was great. Now I feel like I have a much better understanding of the combat.
Want. :\ Buy it for me, duckroll.

duckroll

Aeana said:
That was great. Now I feel like I have a much better understanding of the combat.
Want. :\ Buy it for me, duckroll.

Maybe Capcom will announce it at E3! It should be cheaper in the US! :(

Edit: Okay I see where that video came from now.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/LR/system/category2.html

At the top bar, you can see that every week, they'll be updating the Systems page with new gameplay system explanations and a new video. Cool!

dili

Was kind of unsure with the first gameplay video but that 2nd one sold me on the game. I see what it's trying to do with its gameplay and I like it a lot.

And the customization aspects sound seriously awesome. Hopefully it's announced for US at E3.

KTallguy

Banned
duckroll said:
No. It is not a game about "getting a high rank". The ranking system is a part of the worldview and gameplay, which also serves as a sort of narrative hook. The main character leaves his village in search of something better.

Cool, that makes it much more attractive.
I knew from some of the footage that there was a story, but I just was curious how story-driven it was.

That second video you linked is the one I saw first, and again it looks great. Just wondering how it will expand.

The whole additional skills with the R button and face/L buttons gives me hope :)

LegatoB

Y'know, aside from how really cheap and weird it looks having the player and enemies stand stone-still as they get smacked around, this game actually looks pretty nice for a PSP title! :lol

duckroll

http://www.capcom.co.jp/LR/lrtv/

Last Ranker TV Episode 8.

This time they show actual gameplay in a town, including the town map, warping, stores, etc, and it ends with a ranking battle initiated with someone in town, ending with game over because the player sucks. :lol

I'll try to edit and upload it to Youtube for those who can't use the site itself.

jj984jj

duckroll said:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/LR/lrtv/

Last Ranker TV Episode 8.

This time they show actual gameplay in a town, including the town map, warping, stores, etc, and it ends with a ranking battle initiated with someone in town, ending with game over because the player sucks. :lol

I'll try to edit and upload it to Youtube for those who can't use the site itself.
I don't like that player but I managed to watch it. I can't believe how he lost. :lol

Alex

This looks like great fun, really spiffy artwork and UI, dig the font. I really hope it's one of the more progressive with it's narrative though. There's been some actual restraint out of Japan lately in the last few JRPG's I've played! Let's keep that train rolling.

Something along the lines of Dragon Quarter, which this spawns from no? That would be nice, Dragon Quarter wove a really fun yarn with it's cool focus and some interesting plot points, and it didn't run it's mouth, or blindside you with ridiculous anime exposition!

Really like the character designs here too, I actually don't see how they're any less grounded than Dragon Quarter. There were some truly curious designs scattered in there. They also seem to translate better to the actual game, than the somewhat flat and iffy modeling in BOF5.

duckroll

What I really personally like in the video is how fast the loading looks. The camera is smooth, and the game actually looks really polished. Especially as someone who has played many of the other Image Epoch games, this one in particular looks like there's a level of polish and refinement that their MMV published titles in particular lack. Capcom must be providing a god amount of development support.

duckroll

Spiegel said:
That's an old trailer

The footage itself is old, but the trailer is new. Unlike the previous trailer which only had the Uverworld song playing through out, this one is a "full voice" version which has voiced lines throughout the trailer.

Aeana

I don't think I'm going to be able to resist picking this up, even though I can't afford it. It just looks too good.

duckroll said:
Is it just me, or does Shalne look a lot like Reks from FFXII? ^^;

Indeed....moving on. The little artbook is a preorder bonus right? This is why I disike ordering from play-asia I never get those.

duckroll

Urban Scholar said:
Indeed....moving on. The little artbook is a preorder bonus right? This is why I disike ordering from play-asia I never get those.

No, it's not. There are two versions of the game, the normal retail one, where the mini-soundtrack CD is the preorder bonus, and there is the Capcom Extended Edition one, which costs like 4 bucks more but is a Capcom JP E-store exclusive. That one includes the game, the CD, and the artbook.

duckroll said:
No, it's not. There are two versions of the game, the normal retail one, where the mini-soundtrack CD is the preorder bonus, and there is the Capcom Extended Edition one, which costs like 4 bucks more but is a Capcom JP E-store exclusive. That one includes the game, the CD, and the artbook.

I stand corrected and remain sadden still.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hoping we hear something about a potential US release at E3... If not from Capcom themselves, maybe X-SEED or someone?

duckroll

I'll translate some of the basic mechanics:

- You map skills onto the face buttons. During battles you hold R and press a face button to activate the skill.

pic_ss13a.jpg

- When you win Ranking battles, you can get skills from defeated Rankers as item drops.

pic_ss14a.jpg

- You can set an Active and Sub Style for your character, each with its own equipment load based on the style's weapon choices. You Toggle between the two styles in realtime with the L button in battle.

pic_ss19a.jpg

pic_ss19b.jpg

Lain

I don't have much to say, except that this game has me kinda hyped and hoping for some announcement for a western publishing soon.

The basic mechanics translation makes the gameplay sound pretty interesting.

duckroll

Ikkarus said:
The game looks great.
I'm just hoping they carry over the artbook etc when/if it comes over to US/EU.

It seems like the sort of thing that Atlus would definitely do if they got it. But I dunno if it's something Capcom would do in the US. :(

Top Bottom