• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Ranker (Capcom x RPG x PSP) Information Thread

duckroll

Nirolak said:
I'm kind of surprised we still don't have a release date, or at least a release window.

I wonder if that's because of development issues, marketing issues, or just that they announced the game a bit earlier than a lot of portable games have been lately.

I don't see why it's unusual. Capcom announced this game at TGS along with Ghost Trick and Okamiden. All 3 games are still "2010" with no release window. Nothing unusual.

Akainu

Spiegel said:
mkdi8m.jpg
He reminds me of Kongou Banchou.:lol

duckroll

Wow, the new trailer looks great. The battle BGM is pretty crazy, reminds me of ZoE and ZoE2. The animations and character models are definitely a step up from ARF, even though the PSP is lower spec, so either Image Epoch is really improving in their 3D department, or Capcom is helping them substantially. Either way, this looks pretty awesome. Probably the most story heavy Niinou game yet, but it seems like he's handling it well!

New trailer is amazing! Another great PSP game for 2010 :) With this also due for 'summer', there's a nice little group of PSP games coming out then like Project Diva 2, Persona 3 Portable, Disgaea Infinite and, of course, Peace Walker.

I just saw this bumped and saw the new artwork and video. I will either import and or wiat for US release and or merely double dip. Very impressive to date.

duckroll

pic_ss33a.jpg

Hmm....

In other news, there's probably going to be a demo for the game planned before release, more info on the site's blog when they can announce it. There will also be an announcement regarding the soundtrack next week, so maybe we'll get a release date too.

Interesting...I look forward to that demo I think I'm going to import this. I don't think I've imported or been excited as so in quite sometime.

duckroll

Minor update for those who don't read the Famitsu thread. The game's coming out in Japan on 15th July, for 5990yen. That's pretty pricey for a PSP game, and about what S-E charges for their highest end PSP releases.

Famitsu also had a preview on the various weapon types available in battles and stuff. There will probably be more screens and stuff on the official site and in online articles later this week.

GhaleonQ

duckroll said:
Famitsu also had a preview on the various weapon types available in battles and stuff.

Fantastic. As long as they aren't merely cosmetic (are they?), that's the best way to distract me from grinding.

duckroll

GhaleonQ said:
Fantastic. As long as they aren't merely cosmetic (are they?), that's the best way to distract me from grinding.

Well, the official site previously showed some examples:

pic_ss06b.jpg
pic_ss06a.jpg

pic_ss07b.jpg
pic_ss07a.jpg

From what I can make out in the article (no scan, it's a photo and kinda low-res), Zig's main weapon seems to be fixed as a sword, but where the other weapons come in would be in the sub-weapon system. You can equip different things on the offhand, including a gauntlet (break style), a gun (shoot style), a shield (guard style), or a short sword (dual wielding style). The different type of weapon you have on your offhand changes your battle style, and I think also changes what sorts of skills and attacks are available.

Acosta

Thanks for the update duckroll, the game looks better and better. I had not seen the last trailer neither, I'm quite pumped about it. Hope there is a lot of customization for weapons, if there in one sole character I want character development as deep as possible.

GhaleonQ

duckroll said:
From what I can make out in the article (no scan, it's a photo and kinda low-res), Zig's main weapon seems to be fixed as a sword, but where the other weapons come in would be in the sub-weapon system. You can equip different things on the offhand, including a gauntlet (break style), a gun (shoot style), a shield (guard style), or a short sword (dual wielding style). The different type of weapon you have on your offhand changes your battle style, and I think also changes what sorts of skills and attacks are available.

Ah, okay. I can't say that I'm disappointed, but I think having weapons more closely tied to "stats" and action points (not Mario RPG stuff, just hitting a sequence when you attack or block) instead of mere abilities would be cooler. I hope this feels something like a Chrono Cross/Grandia/The Wizard Of Oz: Beyond The Yellow Brick Road/Pokemon combination.

duckroll

http://www.4gamer.net/games/098/G009874/20100422023/
http://www.capcom.co.jp/LR/

Lots of updates about the release of the game:

- E-Capcom is offering a Last Ranker Extended Edition for 6300yen. It will include a limited soundtrack "Piano Trio Arrange" CD by Shimomura, and a mini-artbook for the game.

- UVERworld is doing the theme song for the game, entitled "Ultimate".

- You can listen to sound samples of the bonus CD here: http://www.capcom.co.jp/LR/info/

- Ayako Ishikawa performs on the violin for the soundtrack of the game. She's a very talented violinist, and I've actually seen her perform live with the Eminence Symphony Orchestra when they did their Passion concert here in Singapore. <3

- Cover art:

pic_package.jpg

- Bonus CD:

pic_cd_jacket.jpg

- Mini-artbook:

pic_ecap_note.gif

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Wow the music is surprisingly mellow, the fierceness of some of the characters in the art gave off a different vibe (as to what I thought the music would be like). I'm definitely liking it.

Is anyone else thinking of importing this when it comes out? I'm tempted, but I would say there's a good chance of this coming out of Japan. I'm glad I held off on God Eater as a US version was announced, so may wait until E3 to see if this gets a mention.

duckroll

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Is anyone else thinking of importing this when it comes out? I'm tempted, but I would say there's a good chance of this coming out of Japan. I'm glad I held off on God Eater as a US version was announced, so may wait until E3 to see if this gets a mention.

I'm getting the JP version. Don't know if anyone else will...

Higher-res cover:

lr01.jpg

duckroll

Urban Scholar said:
I just read on siliconera that the release is slated for July, so I'll join at least.

Oh sure, read siliconera but not this thead! My feelings are so hurt! :(

;_;

:cry

:sob sob

etc

MCD

lovely cover and extras but then again i'm getting it on psn and that if it's available.

psp go.
j7gmcl.gif

Takao

Banned
Considering this is Capcom, I'm not sure if I should wait for a Wii port which I'm sure will be better than the inevitable port to the Apple things. But first Capcom USA would actually have to announce the game...

Takao said:
Considering this is Capcom, I'm not sure if I should wait for a Wii port which I'm sure will be better than the inevitable port to the Apple things. But first Capcom USA would actually have to announce the game...

? Considering the PSP is one of the bread winners of choice why wait for something that by guess may not even happen? Also I believe siliconera also noted that Capcom USA filed a trademark by that name, I think a western region release is very likely this year.

Takao said:

A third party game? On the Wii? In Japan? :O

duckroll

Oh hey, I didn't notice this on the official site previously, but it seems they also updated the info box at the bottom to specify that the game supports media install. Cool.

duckroll said:
Oh hey, I didn't notice this on the official site previously, but it seems they also updated the info box at the bottom to specify that the game supports media install. Cool.

I believe Dissidia was the last/only game I've used that feature for. Nonetheless I will make use of this.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
duckroll said:
I'm getting the JP version. Don't know if anyone else will...

Higher-res cover:

lr01.jpg

Very tempted to pick up the JP version. I love the idea of rank being a predominant part of the game.

But god dammit ducky, if this turns into another ASH....

(part of me hopes this game doesn't end up being as absolutely unforgivingly difficult as other Niinou games :lol)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Game looks promising. Here's hoping that Capcom follows up their Okamiden U.S. announcement with a similar one for Last Ranker.

Takao

Banned
Ducky knows I'm only playing about a Wii port anyways. I'm going to get the game on PSP as long as Capcom USA is willing to bring it here and on PSN.

Top Bottom