• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor: Re:FantazioNew Information Released

Stop adding real time stuff to turn-based RPGs!

Angry Season 3 GIF by Party Down
giphy.gif

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm fairly confident you will be able to use fully turn based combat, just don't initiate the attack field option.

It would surely only be an issue if the field attack is automatic.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
While i agree with the dev choice, i think they should have put an option where you can battle turn-based even with the weakest of enemies.

Many people still want to fight turn-based battles, no matter the enemy.

It's stated in the video that it is 100% optional.

StereoVsn

Yeah, the more I look at this, the less I am liking some of the character designs.

They are a bit like out of some generic 2000s anime, maybe 2010s. Different colored eyes, some elf with ears like bike handlebars, etc…

And indeed there are too many blinging lights going on in the battles.

P5 / P5R I felt worked better with the modern settings. This is a bit iffy. I guess we will see more next year.

Reaseru

It's stated in the video that it is 100% optional.

Then I don't understand the criticism. It's optional after all.

(I only read an article regarding this, but it didn't had that information that is on the video.)

Last edited:

EDMIX

Recently I don't mind with text box, especially with log button.

This is just one way to save development cost lol. I prefer text box with meatier story rather than flashy animation that I can miss because I'm too focused on the animation.

I don't disagree, but they need to pass them savings on to me lol
Also its quite unerasonable to expect them to fully animate and turn every dialogue situation into a cutscene.
lol yet BG3 had no issue with that.

A smaller company not backed by a giant like Sega.

Strong doubt on this one..

Finally considering the reception, critically and commercially for the likes of P5, I don't think there's a strong case for them to overhaul their general design philosophies yet. These are video games end of the day and not every game needs to be presented like a movie.
Oh trust, I don't disagree that they can continue to get away with it, as shit I'm buying this game day 1, merely that someone should be advancing the genre on some technical level. The whole still, cheap cuts gets old and dated and it would be a breath of fresh air to see a developer fully animate.
How do you feel about Vanillaware?
I love MOST of what they do...13 Sentinels should have never been full price though lol

One of my most anticipated games of 2024, Persona team always delivers style *and* substance. Love the premise of an election as being the basis for the narrative , it's unique and unconventional. As with all games I'm hyped for it's time for a media blackout, once I play it in the fall of next year almost everything will be a surprise as it should be 👌

Hudo

I love MOST of what they do...13 Sentinels should have never been full price though lol
Interesting. I was just asking this because I figured since Vanillaware are essentially taking what you dislike about this game's presentation to the max, you'd dislike every game they've made so far. But supplementing your opinion with that 13 Sentinels (brilliant game, btw) shouldn't have been full price is conclusive.

sigmaZ

I just don't understand why the graphics (the character models) look worse than P3 reload. It's a shame because I love the art direction.

EDMIX

Interesting. I was just asking this because I figured since Vanillaware are essentially taking what you dislike about this game's presentation to the max, you'd dislike every game they've made so far. But supplementing your opinion with that 13 Sentinels (brilliant game, btw) shouldn't have been full price is conclusive.

lol not necessary. I rarely believe anything in absolution and my comments about not liking this style is more to say that more can be done with the production value that supports the art direction and narrative that keeps the player engaged, like being fully animated and 100% voice acted.

I will buy this game and I love 13 Sentinels, but my feelings as an artist on how I feel those games likely should be presented given what they are charging stands.

I feel much more can be done and one day you'll get one of those Japanese publishers that does it that gets that BG3 praise and many more will follow, for right now, its merely my opinion on its dated design, not really to be confused on personally what I will play, as often I keep those views separate.

Like, I'd give an opinion on how bad some design is on FFXVI....will still play it lol I just don't want it to be seen like what I'm saying is a deep personal, many times I might just say it based on my perspective as an artist. I don't know if I'd say i feel this way enough to never buy the game or something.

Go_Ly_Dow

I just don't understand why the graphics (the character models) look worse than P3 reload. It's a shame because I love the art direction.
DF commented its the lack of aliasing thus far which is impacting the overall look of the game. They noted the resolution appears to be about 1584p or something which is good.

I'm sure they'll add aliasing to the PS5 version at least with the remaining time they have, it's a quick fix.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If you are talking about from tech side, I think because the scale of Metaphor is much bigger than Persona 3 Reload, based on the trailer you have bigger town to explore and bigger areas when you on the field.

Last edited:

EDMIX

If you are talking about from tech side, I think because the scale of Metaphor is much bigger than Persona 3 Reload, based on the trailer you have bigger town to explore and bigger areas when you on the field.
I don't even know if I can say all that. I don't think a bigger town will hurt anything regarding the character models to a significate degree, but i feel neither game looks better or worse in that area, they merely look equivalent. Like if you told me one them was a character in like Persona 6...fuck am I suppose to say? They look worse? lol

I think someone really needs a strong side by side for me to believe it looks worse, I simply see them as looking in the ballpark of equivalent.

Metaphor-ReFantazio-Screenshot-6-scaled.jpg

metaphor-refantazio-release-date-1687299072639.jpg

and Persona 3 remake, remix, HD, NexT GeN edition over 376 days.

Persona-3-Reload-Yukari.jpg

Persona-3-Reload_Akihiko_Screenshot_2-1.jpg

Artistically, I don't see a "worse" i simply see a difference in direction.

Danjin44

I don't even know if I can say all that. I don't think a bigger town will hurt anything regarding the character models to a significate degree, but i feel neither game looks better or worse in that area, they merely look equivalent. Like if you told me one them was a character in like Persona 6...fuck am I suppose to say? They look worse? lol

I think someone really needs a strong side by side for me to believe it looks worse, I simply see them as looking in the ballpark of equivalent.

I would say from colour pallets and some of the UI design Metaphor is going similar vibe as Attack of Titan...

br6nI0W.png

game4v-attack-on-titan-noi-tieng-2.jpg

EDMIX

I would say from colour pallets and some of the UI design Metaphor is going similar vibe as Attack of Titan...

br6nI0W.png

game4v-attack-on-titan-noi-tieng-2.jpg
Ok good, I thought I was smoking crack or something.

I felt the same way lol

Because of that shows massive influence, I feel it was done on purpose and to show that atmospheric perspective to make that giant thing look bigger in comparison and to show how vast the world is.

Danjin44

Ok good, I thought I was smoking crack or something.

I felt the same way lol

Because of that shows massive influence, I feel it was done on purpose and to show that atmospheric perspective to make that giant thing look bigger in comparison and to show how vast the world is.
I even felt the UI and font style really remind me of Attack of Titan.
YpJM5eB.png

Last edited:

sigmaZ

The difference in direction is good. I like that aspect. But look at the way the models from each game blend into the environments and the smoothness around the edges of the characters. It's easier to notice seeing games in motion. This obviously is not going to bother everyone, but the other game reminds me of Soul Hackers and how cheap that felt. It just makes me worry that the level design and other areas of the game might be held to the same standard. It's still early so this could just be something that will improve in time as it gets closer to release. I remain cautiously optimistic. My bigger concern how solid the gameplay and story aspects will be, but it's hard to tell until we get closer to release.

Hudo

he difference in direction is good. I like that aspect. But look at the way the models from each game blend into the environments and the smoothness around the edges of the characters. It's easier to notice seeing games in motion. This obviously is not going to bother everyone, but the other game reminds me of Soul Hackers and how cheap that felt. It just makes me worry that the level design and other areas of the game might be held to the same standard. It's still early so this could just be something that will improve in time as it gets closer to release. I remain cautiously optimistic. My bigger concern how solid the gameplay and story aspects will be, but it's hard to tell until we get closer to release.
This.

Even with EDMIX EDMIX 's valid complaints, the game can pull it off because of how it looks overall. Or in other words: It didn't really bother me that some animations were stiff, that not everything is voiced with lip sync because the style "hides" that quite well.

But one thing I have to say: Man, Atlus know how to make cool UI.

EDMIX

But look at the way the models from each game blend into the environments and the smoothness around the edges of the characters

I don't disagree that a difference exist in that respect, but the choice to make the characters look like that isn't really a worse or better concept. Its merely too subject. I would never worry about the level design or other aspects based on something like like this. As Persona 3's design by default is much more safe then anything this game is doing to really worry about it.

Persona 3, like 1-5 pulls reference from modern design from the real world, this game seems to have some radical design that is deeply otherworldly, i don't see enough here to worry.

They may have wanted that exaggerated outline around the characters to make them stand out more in a larger background or for animation reasons.

In terms of the story, I'm going blind lol

I'm just avoiding the whole thing and playing day 1 with an open mind so I can hear the story from start to finish based on the game itself.
I even felt the UI and font style really remind me of Attack of Titan.
YpJM5eB.png

Seeing this, I feel more sure they are seeking that direction for this reason.

Dazraell

Both may feel slightly different as they appear to use different engines

While it's not confirmed it appears Metaphor is using the same engine as Catherine / CFB and Persona 5 / P5R, while Persona 3 remake is officially confirmed to be an Unreal Engine 4 game

Top Bottom