• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 HDR impressions

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I figured this might be worth a thread since FH3 is one of the first console games to feature HDR, and a very popular one at that. So far, though, the impressions of the HDR effects that have been posted in the OT are mediocre at best.

Let's use this thread to talk about our experiences so far. Post what display you're using and what your impressions have been, and maybe we can figure out if settings can be tweaked to make improvements.

I know the game isn't officially out yet, but I have a feeling that people who've ponied up for a 4K set and an Xbox One S may also be Ultimate Edition owners. :)

Krakatoa

I'm DL the game right now to try out HDR. I'll post some update later today after I've played with it for a while.

One thing I've read is thats there's options within Horizon to Adjust the HDR. If people are finding it to dark etc...I suggest they check those options first to calibrate.

JeffG

I wonder how much the HDR experience changes with the different quality of 4K HDR TV's

I am very curious to see what people are saying due to the fact I am going to pick up a XBox One S and a 4K HDR TV soon.

I am trying to be a cheap bastard, but if the difference in experience is significant due to a TV quality I may have to re-think how much I am going to spend. (And if it gets too expensive, back out altogether)

Ricker

I wonder how much the HDR experience changes with the different quality of 4K HDR TV's

I am very curious to see what people are saying due to the fact I am going to pick up a XBox One S and a 4K HDR TV soon.

I am trying to be a cheap bastard, but if the difference in experience is significant due to a TV quality I may have to re-think how much I am going to spend. (And if it gets too expensive, back out altogether)

Yep...and of course it will change,just like any other tech...if you buy a cheap no name TV at 600 bucks,dont expect it to work or look as good as a 2,000 dollar set...this thread might help with this though,even if actual 4K owners are still low...

Yep...and of course it will change,just like any other tech...if you buy a cheap no name TV at 600 bucks,dont expect it to work or look as good as a 2,000 dollar set...this thread might help with this though,even if actual 4K owners are still low...

The people that aren't happy with it in the OT have top of the range/well reviewed sets.

Ricker

The people that aren't happy with it in the OT have top of the range/well reviewed sets.

Ah ok,I'll go take a look in there also...I am looking at a new set but I can wait till next year for the top of the line ones to get a little cheaper,I want a good one but not willing to pay 3,000(CAD)for an OLED lets say.

Been really hoping for this thread, I was annoyed HDR wasn't in the demo, and I just don't like Forza enough to shell out £80 to test HDR.

I am very curious about HDR impressions especially on a Sony 4k/HDR tv. I have a Sony 65x850C and I am very curious on how HDR looks on it regarding games.

JeffG

Yea but how significant are the differences??? Is the perceived difference between a $600 and $2000 worth the actual $1400.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is it true that Xbox One S doesn't support a wider color gamut with HDR for gaming? I know Penello said it but he's not exactly trustworthy on stuff like that.

Arthur Gies made the HDR seem amazing in the Polygon review, but he's also a big MicroSoft fan to say the least.

Any impressions from people who own a Vizio P series? There have been rumblings the last few days that HDR games don't display correctly on them.

chifanpoe

Arthur Gies made the HDR seem amazing in the Polygon review, but he's also a big MicroSoft fan to say the least.

Any impressions from people who own a Vizio P series? There have been rumblings the last few days that HDR games don't display correctly on them.

They currently don't. Vizio is supposed to be working on a fix for both the XB1 and PS4 HDR now.

Impressions from the HDR OLEDs and K8000+ owners are that there is not a huge difference with HDR enabled.

JeffG

No it won't be, tech and TV's in general never translate well with an improvement/£ ratio.

True, but there may be minimum bar that needs to be passed.

I am leaning to the Sony 800D or 850D, but 3 issues. a) lag and b) which one goes on sale first. c) size

And then there are things like the Samsung 6290, which is an 8 bit panel but attempts to do some kind of HDR.

In a fantasy world, I would buy the biggest most expensive etc etc etc...but now that I am older that would just piss me off. (When I was young and single I would just spend the money). So what can I get away with, but still get an ok experience

dseed

Neo Member

Just tried the game on Vizio P 2016. The hdr doesn't work correctly. It does the same thing the Netflix app does which is washout the colors. From listening the other people on the avs forums it seems the Vizio p currently won't do hdr gaming at all with either xbox one s or PS4/PS4 pro until the firmware is updated.

I tried it last night on my Visio p50/c1. Under video options the only HDR option was a brightness slider. The colors looked very washed out/dim no matter what I put the slider to. I only tried the first few minutes. I've never seen HDR content so I'm not sure what it should look like. I read in the OT Visio thread about worse input lag but I didn't really notice a difference, game felt very controllable.

branny

I tried it last night on my Visio p50/c1. Under video options the only HDR option was a brightness slider. The colors looked very washed out/dim no matter what I put the slider to. I only tried the first few minutes. I've never seen HDR content so I'm not sure what it should look like. I read in the OT Visio thread about worse input lag but I didn't really notice a difference, game felt very controllable.
Most HDR modes on LCDs crank up the backlight in order to reach peak brightness levels, so that might also be washing out the image on some sets. =\

HDR on my TV is most apparent with high-contrast light sources (neon signs/candles/flames at night, a moon/sun over a darker landscape, etc.), so maybe some certain games won't really benefit as much, anyway. It's a bummer to hear that there isn't much of a difference with FH3, especially since I'm not particularly crazy with the HDR output on my display to begin with compared to those ultra-expensive $6000+ displays with full-array local dimming, etc.

Unfortunately, there just isn't a super affordable TV with amazing input lag and a flawless display out there on the market right now. People looking to pick up a new set will have to compromise somewhere.

True, but there may be minimum bar that needs to be passed.

I am leaning to the Sony 800D or 850D, but 3 issues. a) lag and b) which one goes on sale first. c) size

And then there are things like the Samsung 6290, which is an 8 bit panel but attempts to do some kind of HDR.

In a fantasy world, I would buy the biggest most expensive etc etc etc...but now that I am older that would just piss me off. (When I was young and single I would just spend the money). So what can I get away with, but still get an ok experience

IMO you should try and go for 10bit, I was doing a load of comparisons between Ultra HD films and the Blu Ray equivalent, and the colour of the UHD's blew the standard Blu Rays out of the water.

jim2011

I have the same tv. Currently the Xbox goes into HDR mode but the tv does not. You'll notice if you go into smartcast video settings that it shows HDR as No. it needs a firmware fix asap. An update is going to be posted about it this weekend by Vizio in avsforum.

JeffG

IMO you should try and go for 10bit, I was doing a load of comparisons between Ultra HD films and the Blu Ray equivalent, and the colour of the UHD's blew the standard Blu Rays out of the water.
I probably will...but I will go to Best Buy and see the Samsung in person. (I have seen the Sony's already.)

Phillips had a cheap HDR TV, but when I went to go see it...it looked like shit. But sometimes that isn't fair either. Sometimes you never know what kind of input they are actually pumping through the TV. Maybe the Phillps does normal Blue Rays like crap...but other things fine.

Actually...the shopping is 1/2 the fun. The other 1/2 is getting it home and hooking it up for the first time. lol

Did you just buy the TV last night? Checking out HDR was the first thing I did when I got my TV.

I probably will...but I will go to Best Buy and see the Samsung in person. (I have seen the Sony's already.)

Phillips had a cheap HDR TV, but when I went to go see it...it looked like shit. But sometimes that isn't fair either. Sometimes you never know what kind of input they are actually pumping through the TV. Maybe the Phillps does normal Blue Rays like crap...but other things fine.

Actually...the shopping is 1/2 the fun. The other 1/2 is getting it home and hooking it up for the first time. lol

It is difficult, especially as getting into the home and then seeing it can change opinion! I must admit to being confused with the Xbox One S HDR implementation though.....HDR is apparently only true HDR with a 10bit panel, which the S shows up in a screen as ticked, but the games don't support WCG, which flies in the face of 10bit HDR.......

Vuze

It's surprising to hear mixed impressions from GAF considering that some reviewers really liked the HDR presentation. Perhaps improperly configured TVs or some kind of display bug in the game?
My One S should arrive tomorrow but I have no intention at all to get the Early Access edition so I unfortunately can't try for myself until next week.

Adding this in, I haven't read any other impressions of the HDR in particular in reviews but I figure since few people have an S and this game and an HDR TV, the more impressions the better.

Arthur Gies, quoted from Polygon's review of FH3:

"Forza Horizon 3 isn't the first console game to support High Dynamic Range — HDR for short — as that honor goes to this week's launch of NBA 2K17. But it's easily the best example of how stunning it can be.

HDR, in short, allows for a wider range of displayed colors on screen as well as an enormous improvement in contrast and on-screen brightness on supported TVs over last-generation displays. If you have a display that supports the HDR10 standard and an Xbox One S (and have correctly set up your system), you'll be greeted at Forza Horizon 3's title screen with an HDR brightness adjustment slider. My impulse was to dial this all the way up, which, as it turns out, was a mistake, as I was subsequently rubbing my eyes within minutes. With HDR enabled, Forza Horizon 3 is often a constant assault of brilliant color and blinding sunlight, whether it's coming over or a ridge or blooming from a rear view mirror.

The Australian outback that Forza Horizon 3 presents is beautiful on normal displays, to be clear. But there's something that much more immersive about blinding, beautiful light if you have the TV to support the game's HDR settings — even if that light can be as distracting as it is beautiful."

I believe he has a KS8000.

amdb00mer

I think the low/mid res textures don't help HDR. That's why I really hope Scorpio has 12Gb ram.

I'm almost positive it will. If you look at the latest Digital Foundry video on PS4 Pro they bring up how the PS4 Pro sticking with 8GB of ram will hurt it in the long run.

Gitaroo

x850 is trash atm for HDR, input lag is almost 100ms. X800D can stay consistantly low in 4K+HDR gaming, around 33ms, color is even better than the much higher end samsung ks8000. It not the great screen for HDR however due to the lack of local dimming and peak brightness is low. But it does have a 10bit panel that should take advantage of HDR. Avoid low end Samsung, they are nothing like their higher end, mostly trash too.

scitek

I do. HDR10 does not display properly on the Xbox One S aside from UHD Blu-rays. I can't test my PS4, obv, but the test I ran on PC was also borked. Vizio claim to be working on fixing it with a new firmware update.

HDR won't display properly on your set right now unless it's a UHD Blu-ray or Dolby Vision content streaming from the Netflix/Vudu app on your tablet remote. As a side note, make sure you turn on HDMI Subsampling in the menu when using an external source - i.e. any kind of player or console.

Vuze

I do. HDR10 does not display properly on the Xbox One S aside from UHD Blu-rays. I can't test my PS4, obv, but the test I ran on PC was also borked. Vizio claim to be working on fixing it with a new firmware update.
Is there even anything to test HDR on OG PS4 at this point? I was under the impression they just pushed the update but didn't follow up with anything?

Impulsor

Here is a compilation of my impressions from the OT. Bear in mind, I do not have a cheap set.

I'm testing hdr with this game versus the demo and I must say that I'm really disappointed.

No hdr mode looks way better to me in this game.

The same cannot be said about movies.

It looks washed out compared to the demo. Some. Scenes look better but most of them do not. At least to me.

I'm Playing on a Samsung UE55KS9000. Movies most certainly look WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than their non hdr counterparts, but with this I do not notice a very big difference and what I do notice, I do not really like.
I can tell the difference in Movies. Watching movies for me is a spectacular difference but with THIS game in particular it seems that the HDR mode is not as ... "good"?

For me HDR with this game is looking kinda washed out and I'm really dissappointed.

I'm using, as said above, a Samsung UE55KS9000, which is not a cheap display at all and looks stunning when I watch movies or netflix 4k hdr.

I honestly think that it may be a bad implementation of HDR in Forza, because the difference is mindblowing to me in movies.

Applied to my TV, as I said, HDR is spectacular in other content, just not in this game.

And I know it isn't the xbox one s' problem because I watch HDR blu rays with it and they absolutely blow my mind.

So yeah.

And the most important one:

Just to get my point across with what I mean when I say I am not happy with Forza's HDR, example in spoiler tags

dolbyhdr-100658938-orig.jpg

LEft is HDR ON, Right is OFF. The difference when watching movies in HDR is as "drastic" as the difference you can see in the image I posted.

But with Forza, it isn't. So it feels... off, and washed out. Kinda more like this:
7437783578_435f5ef14d_n.jpg
AS you can see, the second image, HDR there has better cotnrast, but looks kinda washed out... It isn't the best example, but it's the closest I can get.

branny

Here is a compilation of my impressions from the OT. Bear in mind, I do not have a cheap set.
This is helpful, thanks! :D

x850 is trash atm for HDR, input lag is almost 100ms. X800D can stay consistantly low in 4K+HDR gaming, around 33ms, color is even better than the much higher end samsung ks8000. It not the great screen for HDR however due to the lack of local dimming and peak brightness is low. But it does have a 10bit panel that should take advantage of HDR. Avoid low end Samsung, they are nothing like their higher end, mostly trash too.
Rtings seems to prefer the KS8000 for image quality.
"The Samsung KS8000 does have overall better picture quality than the Sony X800D, but the main advantage is the better HDR support and better dark scene performance. If you can afford it and plan to watch more HDR content, go with the Samsung KS8000. If you don't mind sacrificing some of the picture quality to save the money, go with the Sony X800D."

Glip_Glop

I picked up the Sony x930D. Did I go wrong by not picking up the KS800/9000? I just felt the Sony had a better over all pic quality compared to the Samsung. What say you HDR experts?

Impulsor

HDR won't display properly on your set right now unless it's a UHD Blu-ray or Dolby Vision content streaming from the Netflix/Vudu app on your tablet remote. As a side note, make sure you turn on HDMI Subsampling in the menu when using an external source - i.e. any kind of player or console.
You're telling me that the Xbox One S does not display HDR 10 bit correctly for games?

Yea but how significant are the differences??? Is the perceived difference between a $600 and $2000 worth the actual $1400.

Depends if you care that much. I know someone who ditched a $200 Samsung UHD player and got a $700 UHD player because it delivers "better" audio quality.

dr_rus

It's surprising to hear mixed impressions from GAF considering that some reviewers really liked the HDR presentation. Perhaps improperly configured TVs or some kind of display bug in the game?
My One S should arrive tomorrow but I have no intention at all to get the Early Access edition so I unfortunately can't try for myself until next week.

Eh, not really. HDR is way overhyped at the moment in my opinion. Real world results will be way less visible than people have been led to believe.

Karak

A bunch of us already gave our impressions in the other threads so not sure what kind of turnout you may have but for me I test tv's so I was jumping between four for my review, where I discussed HDR as well.

Easily the biggest jump and most noticeable change in years. Hilarious that after playing it many who saw it discussed the game today and everyone kept feeling like their own monitors or TVs were now weird when it came to color and brightness calibration. It is an excellent use of it so far and on my sets not at all washed out.

Movies usually have a bigger noticeable difference. But this game was easily noticeable.

Adding this in, I haven't read any other impressions of the HDR in particular in reviews but I figure since few people have an S and this game and an HDR TV, the more impressions the better.

Arthur Gies, quoted from Polygon's review of FH3:

"Forza Horizon 3 isn't the first console game to support High Dynamic Range — HDR for short — as that honor goes to this week's launch of NBA 2K17. But it's easily the best example of how stunning it can be.

We had a small sampling of folks, a couple from the tech industry, a couple pure gamer types, and 2 casuals and this is pretty much the overall consensus. It is HDR which means some just won't really enjoy it, like the 720p 1080p debacle.

branny

I picked up the Sony x930D. Did I go wrong by not picking up the KS800/9000? I just felt the Sony had a better over all pic quality compared to the Samsung. What say you HDR experts?
A lot of comparisons split hairs and come down to personal preference in the grand scheme of things. If you are happy with your TV, then that's all that really matters. :)

I was replacing an 8-year old LCD (Samsung LN46A650), so pretty much anything on the market was an upgrade for me. It's amazing to finally have a Game Mode that doesn't put a shitty sharpening filter on everything, I can tell you that much. 😩

Impulsor

I test tv's so I was jumping between four for my review.
But for me its the biggest jump and most noticeable change in years. Hilarious that after playing it many who saw it discussed the game today and everyone kept feeling like thier own monitors or TVs were now out of sync. It is an excellent use of it so far and on my sets not at all washed out.

Movies usually have a bigger noticable difference. But this game was easily noticeable.

We had a small sampling of folks, a couple from the tech industry, a couple pure gamer types, and 2 casuals and this is pretty much the overall consensus. It is HDR which means some just won't really enjoy it, like the 720p 1080p debacle.

Please, I beg you, I know you tested this on a Samsung TV set.

Do you know/remember the settings of the console and TV for this?

And can you please clarify what you mean with
It is HDR which means some just won't really enjoy it, like the 720p 1080p debacle.

Top Bottom