• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus' Palmer Luckey funds white-supremacist/misogynistic/anti-lgbt harassment group

Compsiox

Banned
surely you're not dense enough to not understand that funding and propagating bigoted and dangerous beliefs do in fact harm people, in both the short and long term? surely?

christ this thread is one for the ages. i'm not sure if it's just a bunch of teens on gaming side having difficulty understanding the real world or whatever, it's fucking disappointing that's what

Dude I said actions (such as his) should be taken with issue.

Tigress

But it does harm people, these beliefs aren't in a vacuum. Especially when he's using money to push these beliefs.

I think his point is if the person managed not to act on those beliefs and did just keep them to himself. Like using money is an action. Saying it to other people is an action. Any type of promoting it is an action.

If he just thinks it and keeps it to himself but otherwise treats everyone as equals (even if he doesn't truly believe it) ...

No, it doesn't work that way in the real world. People don't keep their beliefs to themselves in general (not unless they know most other people disagree with them and will be condemned for not keeping it to themselves).

But, some people you really aren't going to change their mind but if there is enough condemnation you can at least get them to keep it to themselves.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I don't expect much to come of this.

I don't understand responses like this.

"The guy who is the public face of our 2 billion dollar investment is a racist, misogynistic weirdo who is taking the profits made from our product and investing it into a hate group. Meh... no one is going to care about that."

Compsiox

Banned
I think his point is if the person managed not to act on those beliefs and did just keep them to himself. Like using money is an action. Saying it to other people is an action. Any type of promoting it is an action.

If he just thinks it and keeps it to himself but otherwise treats everyone as equals (even if he doesn't truly believe it) ...

No, it doesn't work that way in the real world. People don't keep their beliefs to themselves in general (not unless they know most other people disagree with them and will be condemned for not keeping it to themselves).

But, some people you really aren't going to change their mind but if there is enough condemnation you can at least get them to keep it to themselves.

Thank you. I wish I said it this well.

I don't expect much to come of this.
I'm curious honestly. If Facebook writes all this off, I expect more devs to drop their support.
This will sound cynical, but this is all associated to a niche product that has progressively lost a lot of good will over the past months, so there's very little halo effect at play here, making it not that risky for devs anyway.

cakely

I'm guessing that today was Palmer Luckey's last day at Facebook. What a serious shit-stain. I'll be having a slow sip of scotch just for him tonight.

So, in the mean time, what happens when Off-Topic meets Gaming Discussion? This seems like the perfect thread to find

Ever heard of Benghazi?

well that's worse than I expected.

As long as the person isn't trying to harm me in some way I wouldn't care if they had those thoughts. In Palmers case he is clearly trying to harm people.

The problem is, people don't simply keep it to themselves. This is why we are having this very conversation, because if enough people have these beliefs their "thoughts" are transferred to action. And then that's how you get hate groups, that's how you get Donald Trump, that's how you get people like Luckey using their money to fund these ideologies.

Not that any of us are advocating persecuting others' for "thoughtcrimes", but it's extremely naive to think that large swaths of people having horrid viewpoints is perfectly OK as long as they never do anything about it. Because in practice, they always do something about it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I don't understand responses like this.

"The guy who is the public face of our 2 billion dollar investment is a racist, misogynistic weirdo who is taking the profits made from our product and investing it into a hate group. Meh... no one is going to care about that."

What do you honestly expect to happen?

If people were really that sensitive to hate speech in the US, it wouldn't have been Trump as the presidential nominee out there. But here we are.

Lunar15

How is that reddit post real. How the fuck is that a real thing written by a real person who is the face of a company.

How the fucking how.

Dude I said actions (such as his) should be taken with issue.

no one, unless you are a mountain person living in seclusion, lives in a vacuum. bigoted beliefs should absolutely be torn down when possible, regardless if the person is actively going out to harm others.

we live in a global instantaneously connected world and it's ridiculous to think that those people aren't sharing and/or influencing others. a huge reason why politics is the way it is at the moment is because the intellectuals have been quieter than the bigots (aka letting your racist uncle rant at the dinner table because you don't want to hurt his feelings) for decades. all you have to do is read the comments on a facebook article or peek your head on twitter or pretty much anywhere on the entire internet to see that racists/bigots/homophobes/etc constantly spread their hate.

opinions don't have some innate trait of deserving respect or being immune to judgement or criticism either, and absolutely should be tied to the person sharing them

Making a dumb joke on twitter isn't even comparable to funding a white supremacist group.

Like, not even close. That's a bad comparasion.

I wasn't trying to equate them. Let me re-phrase:

I thought it was bad when I found out Adr1ft was made by a guy I think sucks. This puts it in perspective.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

If people were really that sensitive to hate speech in the US, it wouldn't have been Trump as the presidential nominee out there. But here we are.

I'm sure Facebook wouldn't mind losing half of their potential consumers.

How is that reddit post real. How the fuck is that a real thing written by a real person who is the face of a company.

How the fucking how.

Have you not watched TV or looked at news online and completely missed Donald Trump, who is the face of a company and the Republican nominee? Or Donald Trump JR for that matter?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Saw this combination of images on Twitter and got a kick out of it.

CtD34hvUEAA_8kr.jpg

CtD35XZUAAAnx1k.jpg

That Reddit post really shows what an ego this fucker has.

Anticol

Banned

We are talking about video games and tech, where most people tend to not share his views.

I'm sure they care somewhat, but keep in mind this is the company that recent-ish changed the way Facebook news feeds work so based on popularity you can get a bunch of alt-right and conspiracy crap clogging your feed.

Also, this is still early days for VR, this may dilute brand awareness now but when so little people are buying their product as-is currently I don't see this doing much of anything to them in the long run. Piss off some indies and drive away some consumers, sure. 5-10 years down the line when they projected mainstream adoption for VR? Consumer base at large won't give a rat's behind about this particular news piece.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Would they though? I mean, approx. 42% of the US is actually voting for that orange cheeto up there. You're bound to run into a few of them.

Still, i'm very curious how this pans out.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Rich young egotistical asshole will gladly fuck everyone else over for his own gain, and laugh while doing it. News at 11.

But yeah, fuck that guy. Any respect I might once have had (although I never particularly liked the guy) is definitely gone. And yeah, never buying a Rift.

Realistically speaking could they even fire him? Isn't that a lawsuit waiting to happen? I thought you couldn't fire people based off of their beliefs regardless of how shitty they are or something like that.

She (Nikki Moxxi) deleted her twitter but it was full of stuff like this

1474638663246967.jpg

Wait, this is the proof that Palmer's girlfriend is a nazi? So if you're not for completely open borders you're a racist now?

Personally, I'm not in favor of completely unchecked immigration either -- of the muslim variety or any other kind.

And I am not a racist.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
For the record I got mine for free as a Kickstarter backer. But as a Kickstarter I'm pissed I helped make this guy his millions.

This year was he first since the Kickstarter that I am glad I did not fund it.

I am surprised we've not heard from Facebook on this. Disappointed, really.

Sai-kun

Banned
Wait, this is the proof that Palmer's girlfriend is a nazi?

Well, I'm not in favor of completely unchecked immigration either -- of the muslim variety or any other kind. So if you're not for completely open borders you're a racist now? FFS...

how do u check for moslems

Well, I'm not in favor of completely unchecked immigration either -- of the muslim variety or any other kind. So basically if I'm not for completely open borders I'm a racist now? FFS...

When you single out not wanting a particular group of people in your country, yes, that's racist/xenophobic as fuck.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Well, I'm not in favor of completely unchecked immigration either -- of the muslim variety or any other kind. So if you're not for completely open borders you're a racist now? FFS...
There is more to it than that one tweet, also no one called her a nazi here to the best of my knowledge.

PBY

Banned

I mean she specified Muslim

So yeah it does mean that

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Realistically speaking could they even fire him? Isn't that a lawsuit waiting to happen? I thought you couldn't fire people based off of their beliefs regardless of how shitty they are or something like that.

This wouldn't be a case of firing someone for their beliefs. I really don't understand why people keep saying stuff like this.

Actions have consequences. They really have consequences when you are the face and spokesperson of a massive business.

It's a bigoted strawman. Nobody supports unchecked immigration, that's a lie used to demonize liberals. And it's bigotry because she singles out Muslims, implying that a whole religion is bad. Pretty simple stuff, honestly.

Edit: oh.

Wait, this is the proof that Palmer's girlfriend is a nazi? So if you're not for completely open borders you're a racist now?

Personally, I'm not in favor of completely unchecked immigration either -- of the muslim variety or any other kind.

And I am not a racist.

Keep trying dude.

Eventually you'll find a way to make some of this stuff look less bad, even if it's just at a technical level.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

And I am not a racist.

Why would you see a piece of evidence and immediately assume that it is the only piece of evidence unless you were strongly inclined to defend the person or the positions he or she holds?

Window

The US does not have an unchecked immigration policy. Extensive background checks are common procedure (I can only speak as someone who's known people who have travelled or migrated there). But I think that tweet was in reference to a complete ban on muslim immigration or morality testing as suggested by Trump, not extensive background checks.

Top Bottom