• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus' Palmer Luckey funds white-supremacist/misogynistic/anti-lgbt harassment group

Re0uupr.png

Perfect.

Honestly if the group weren't so shitty I wouldn't care at all. You wanna donate to Republicans? Go ahead.

But this group and its stated goals are just extremely repellent.

The thought of my money somehow helping them in any way is too much.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
CliffyB is a pretty progressive guy, who also got a pretty big payout when Oculus was bought, has he mentioned anything?

"Luckey is the first mainstream engineer in years to actually have something to say."

?

I really didn't expect them to push this to a 5pm PST-ish announcement if they did one, but, here we are. This would be deeply buried in a Friday news dump at this point.

Zuck should pull a WWE. "We wish Palmer the best in his future endeavors."

It's mainly free speech. In the US, even hate speech, as terrible as it is, is generally protected as free speech. Also the internet isn't regulated. The closest thing to speech regulation in broadcast is the FCC but the fairness doctrine doesn't exist anymore so generally that's why Trump's surrogates can spout bullshit lies on TV. That and the FCC can't regulate cable TV content/news.

Damn, well... And we know that USA can't see able to imagine constitution change -_-.

You look doomed, GG well played ez lol...

Nzyme32

A rather bizarre rumour that KentBye Voices of VR is reposting - originally from a guy that deleted the relevant tweets, but Palmer Luckey liked the tweet apparently - basically Palmer owns 4chan since last year (?!):

https://twitter.com/kentbye/status/779387059060355072

He deleted it, but here's the tweet that @PalmerLuckey liked that claimed that he owns @4chan. It wouldn't surprise me a bit.

6EAQRtJ.jpg

He claimed that the current owner of @4chan is a just a front-man for @PalmerLuckey. Aligns w/ his support of the alt-right, but unverified

t1Ev9ai.jpg

And a second person verified that tweet was as he described at the time

Joe VFX ‏@vfxiled 5h5 hours ago
@kentbye Here is the raw screenshot of the like exactly as posted by MarkM447.

z0XmKFJ.jpg

Not even sure whats going on here

BY2K

Membero Americo

danm999

Has FB said anything yet? Seems like this is getting out of control if developers are pulling support before they say anything.

Squire

Banned
Posted? Sorry, if so.

Gizmodo said:
Edelmann, who according to a New York Observer article from 2015, lives with and has been dating Luckey for approximately five years (as recently as this past spring, Luckey and Edelmann appeared to be in a relationship on social media). Edelmann’s social media accounts are rife with GamerGate support posts. She frequently shit-talks feminist Anita Sarkeesian, mocks “SJWs,” and tweets pictures of herself at Trump events. She’s cosplayed as GamerGater mascot Vivian James, and been photographed at GamerGate meet-ups around San Fransisco.

http://gizmodo.com/palmer-luckey-mi...dium=sharefromsite&utm_source=Gizmodo_twitter

His GF is like a GGers wet dream.

A rather bizarre rumour that KentBye Voices of VR is reposting - originally from a guy that deleted the relevant tweets, but Palmer Luckey liked the tweet apparently - basically Palmer owns 4chan since last year (?!):

I thought a Japanese guy had bought 4chan from moot?

MUnited83

For you.

https://twitter.com/kentbye/status/779387059060355072

And a second person verified that tweet was as he described at the time

Not even sure whats going on here
I find this a bit unlikely. Moderation on 4chan has gotten harsher and harsher since moot left, and I don't think Palmer would agree with that considering the stuff he's doing.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The whole 4chan thing seems just like baseless rumors at this point. Let's try and not go too deep down the rabbit hole on this one.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh... This is getting weirder and weirder.

Simply liking it doesn't mean that he's attesting to the truth of the statement. Even if it weren't true, Luckey might have just liked it because he found it humorous or whatever.

Oh okay.

If it's supposed to be a secret why did he like the tweet then? Doesn't make much sense.

I'm going to guess that it's just a joke. Kind of ties in with the whole "president of memes" or whatever moniker that people are trying to give Luckey. It's very clearly that the audience who posts terrible shit on 4chan and similar boards really like Palmer and identify him as one of their own.

Corpekata

Banned
Oh okay.

If it's supposed to be a secret why did he like the tweet then? Doesn't make much sense.

It also doesn't make much sense to do the interview that he did today. He probably didn't think anyone would notice or care, or that he's rich enough to weather any storm.

Nzyme32

Simply liking it doesn't mean that he's attesting to the truth of the statement. Even if it weren't true, Luckey might have just liked it because he found it humorous or whatever.

Exactly. Like I said, a bizarre rumour to push based on that but an amusing notion whether true or not

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
when you're one of the faces of a transformational new technology, but all you wanna do is bankroll some racist memes for your GF to tweet while wearing a vivian james outfit

gIlpm0.gif

I do hope we hear a response soon. Customers who have already invested in Rift deserve to hear something

Either the PR is never coming or some heated discussions are noing on at Facebook.

https://twitter.com/StarFire2258/status/779471692728893442

Well they're going to delay the news for as long as possible. Gotta try to bury that shit on a Friday night for starters.

Plus, there are probably tons of people going over the statement to make sure it is both accurate and precise (almost certainly Mark Zuckerberg is in those discussions too since Palmer is a high-ranking exec).

Palmer Luckey—founder of Oculus—is funding a Trump group that circulates dirty memes about Hillary Clinton.

Nimble America says it’s dedicated to proving that “shitposting is powerful and meme magic is real,”

This is the bottom of the fucking barrel, isn't it? I literally cannot think of anything more cringeworthy than this.

Zuck: "Palmer, I know you're a young, bright kid, but, are you down with the alt-right, bro?"
Palmer: "Brah."
Zuck: "We can't have this negative energy around the company right now. I'm throwing 3 bills at fixing every disease ever."
Palmer: "Righteous. Golden chute?"
Zuck: "Word, but, man, keep your hands off Hill and just do GamerGate stuff."
Palmer: "On it. Shahhhhhhhhh. Deuces. Out."

(Why is Palmer Sean Penn in Fast Times at Rigemont High in my head but as a millennial?)

Riposte

The weirdest part about whole is thing to me is that Luckey is actually paying people to shitpost.

Not sure if that's what happened. Dailybeast mentions a billboard, but everything else is really vague. The financial statement refers to "ops", but associated with the "website", with one exception, "general" for 18 dollars. Other than that, I think I see Facebook ads. This seems like a bog-standard SuperPAC posing as exotic and hip. Perhaps I'm wrong, I'd like to see something specific about the "shitposting" component, assuming it's not just a cool way to say "political advertisements".

Nzyme32

The Verge now has an article that also talks to some developers (some annoymously) that shed some light on relations with them prior to all this and now - http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/23/13033268/palmer-luckey-trump-meme-fund-oculus-developers-respond

Two Vive developers I spoke with, both of whom have highly rated games on Steam Early Access, also said that they would no longer be comfortable working with Oculus. "I am currently returning my Oculus dev hardware," says one, who recalls backing the Oculus Kickstarter campaign in its first hour. "One of the dignities of being an indie developer is being able to live one's politics, on a daily basis. Part and parcel of that is making regular decisions on whether or not to invest time/money/energy/allegiance to various platforms. For myself, finding out last night that the founder of one of the main platforms for this medium basically thinks white supremacy is funny was a crystallizing moment." Rift users will still be able to play the game through Valve’s SteamVR system, but it won’t be tailored to Oculus’ custom Touch controllers.

"We were approaching [our game] with ‘We should launch on Oculus Touch,’" says the other developer. "Now we have considerable questions. Very real ethical questions we'd like answered, such as: how much of the 30 percent cut of our revenue that goes to Oculus is going to fund neo-Nazi hate memes?" In both these cases, though, it was only the last straw in an already-difficult relationship with Oculus — one criticized a "control-freak and anti-competitive" approach to the development community, and the other called Oculus’ "stand-offish and unresponsive" behavior "the polar opposite" of Valve and HTC’s relationship to developers.

Developers who are already publishing on the Rift and Gear VR had more ambivalent reactions. "I've had a great experience working with Oculus over the years (including working with lots of good people), and I like the products that they've built. I don't think I'm going to boycott the company based on the politics of its founder," says E. McNeill, creator of Darknet and Tactica. "But this sure as hell doesn't make me feel better about it." McNeill floated the idea of a competing donation drive for Hillary Clinton, pledging $1,000 to the cause. Alex Schwartz of Owlchemy Labs, whose game Job Simulator is a launch title on the Oculus Touch motion controllers, just directed me to an oblique cry of despair.

""@OwlchemyLabs
On a scale from 1 to LITERAL GARBAGE, today is firmly in garbage territory. #humansWhy""

Arkeband

Banned
That 4chan rumor is baseless and dumb and if Luckey liked it that's your clue that it's trolling.

If Zenimax's lawsuit against Luckey is true then Luckey wouldn't be a valuable asset to lose. The mythical kid who invents shit in their parents garage trope is overdone and they don't need a goofy looking alt-right prodigy hoax as the face of their company.

Wow this thread is big. Debating whether or not to read through it or just from here on. I'm not sure when I was ever going to grab a VR headset but it sure isn't going to be a Rift when I do. Screw Palmer.

This is the bottom of the fucking barrel, isn't it? I literally cannot think of anything more cringeworthy than this.
The internet was a mistake.

Ducarmel

Zuck: "Palmer, I know you're a young, bright kid, but, are you down with the alt-right, bro?"
Palmer: "Brah."
Zuck: "We can't have this negative energy around the company right now. I'm throwing 3 bills at fixing every disease ever."
Palmer: "Righteous. Golden chute?"
Zuck: "Word, but, man, keep your hands off Hill and just do GamerGate stuff."
Palmer: "On it. Shahhhhhhhhh. Deuces. Out."

(Why is Palmer Sean Penn in Fast Times at Rigemont High in my head but as a millennial?)
Would he get a golden parachute? I imagine there most be some kind of morality clause Facebook can pull, assuming they got the evidence and more to back up the claims against Luckey.

we're past the barrel with this stuff now

Surely. So, I admit I didn't read the article in the OP, I read enough quotes in the OP to get a gist of what was going down. It wasn't until I read the thing-- and this isn't the author's fault, but when I read it, it was like being consistently bulldozed by the most cringeworthy sentences I've ever read. I mean you report on cringe, you get it. I knew it was bad, stupid, etc., that much is obvious, but I admit that I'm a little blindsided after looking into it more.

Top Bottom