• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump invites Gennifer Flowers to front row of Presedential Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

2MF

Also, this whole election is reminding me of:

camacho.jpg

G.ZZZ

Moderate/undecided women, a crucial voting block that Donald Trump needs to have any chance to win, aren't going to like this. They have to deal with sexism in society and the work place, making less than what a man makes, etc and now they are going to see Trump roll out this out against the candidate who happens to be first woman nominated to be President.

Honestly, how do you think that'll play out?

Your mistake is thinking that those people get informed. They don't.

Yeah, he probably will bring up Bill's past, even if not asked that question. I feel it in my bones. He just can't help himself.
He was going to do that anyway.

He'll say that everybody knows the Clintons are liars, and that Hillary showed bad judgement in staying married to a rapist. This invitation, and the press it garners just further sets the stage.

It's chum to his base, but I don't see it working out for him with everyone else.

Making this a dog and pony show instead of a real political debate is exactly what he wants.

He can "win" if the politics are just a sideshow.

Typical Trumpist overreaction to a minor provocation.

Yeah, he probably will bring up Bill's past, even if not asked that question. I feel it in my bones. He just can't help himself.

She absolutely wants him to. She's been preparing for that. I would bet money on it.

BriGuy

I remember 8 years ago during the lead up to Joe Biden debating Sarah Palin, the media was saying how he had to walk a thin line to avoid coming off like a bully because it wouldn't look good to the public if he was too stern or confrontational.

And now we have this.

And people are cheering him on for it.

He could probably call Hillary a "cunt" on national television and see his polls surge. To think this country could have regressed so far in such a short amount of time. It's shameful. Even if she wins in November, this country is absolutely shameful for even allowing this man to come so far.

riotous

Banned
I remember 8 years ago during the lead up to Joe Biden debating Sarah Palin, the media was saying how he had to walk a thin line to avoid coming off like a bully because it wouldn't look good to the public if he was too stern or confrontational.

And now we have this.

And people are cheering him on for it.

He could probably call Hillary a "cunt" on national television and see his polls surge. To think this country could have regressed so far in such a short amount of time. It's shameful. Even if she wins in November, this country is absolutely shameful for even allowing this man to come so far.
/.

YourMaster

Moderate/undecided women, a crucial voting block that Donald Trump needs to have any chance to win, aren't going to like this. They have to deal with sexism in society and the work place, making less than what a man makes, etc and now they are going to see Trump roll out this out against the candidate who happens to be first woman nominated to be President.

Honestly, how do you think that'll play out?

I'm afraid you're really underestimating how many moderate/conservative women have what you'd call 'family values', which may not only include looking down on women who 'can't satisfy their husband', but also stuff like 'blaming slutty rape victims', slut shaming in general, and believing a proper place of a woman is at home taking care of the kids and husband.
I hope this is a move that hurts him more than it does her, but I'm not sure at all.

Joeytj

Banned
Lol at anyone who would think this is some sort of master move by Trump.

This is exactly why the Clinton campaign leaked Mark Cuban's attendance at the debate: to rattle Trump and prove he's thin skinned and predictable. It was a trial balloon for the debate. Notice how the Trump campaign hasn't actually confirmed it invited Flowers or has acknowledged her acceptance of said invitation. They know that it proves their candidate is petty and thin skinned and that it's a bad move, but they can't make Donald backtrack now, as he hates regretting things he said, even if they're tweets.

And he even invited the less sympathetic of Bill's infidelities, Gennifer Flowers, not Monica, because he knows Monica wouldn't have accepted.

RPGCrazied

This election cycle has been so exhausting. I really want it to be over. The type of people that Trump brought out though will still be out there, even when she wins. So that sucks. Like America needs anymore of that.

What if Trump references her during the debate? xD

This is going to be a mess. A MESS!

Of course he'll reference her.

"How can we trust Hillary? We can't. Or her husband. You know. Just ask Gennifer Flowers. She's right over there in the front row wearing the flowery blouse. Sad!"

besada

Banned
Sociopaths gonna sociopath.

For all his antics, this is so far outside the pale of the way humans treat one another that it actually surprised me. I suspect this is going to blow up in his face.

UraMallas

Great point. The two are exactly the same! Except that one involves a former ally from the party thinking you're so unfit as to vote for your enemy, and the other involved trying to embarrass someone over a completely different persons infidelity.

I mean, aside from that, it's identical.

That's immaterial. This is just two petty political moves. Fair game to me. Hillary started a precedent of being petty and Trump escalated it. Not really a big deal but I would call it the same tactic - absolutely.

Making this a dog and pony show instead of a real political debate is exactly what he wants.

He can "win" if the politics are just a sideshow.

Which is why the Cuban play was always the wrong play. She got got.

kevin1025

Banned
This may be the highest ratings Presidential debate ever.

CNN's been throwing around "100 million" today as the prediction.

My two cents on this is that it's petty as all hell, and will completely backfire in some form or fashion. He's going to draw attention to it, and, watching back on his debate performance, he is going to sound so childish throughout. Plus he likes to slink back at the halfway mark, likely because he's outclassed, so if he does that, he's giving free air time to Hillary.

I genuinely believe there won't be other debates, apart from the VP one. This is their confrontation, and then he'll spit venom for five weeks.

Also don't forget, Trump wusses out when confronted. When he fought in the Republican debates, he would never look them in the eye, he'd stare forward and outshout his opponent, and yell "excuse me" or "no, no, no". And when he went to Mexico he chickened out and only after returning said anything about the wall.

This is all kind of stupid, but I don't have a problem with Trump doing it, per se. It's important that a president is able to remain cool and collected regardless of external factors. And Hillary will, I think. She's certainly a lot better at it than Trump.

(I have plenty of problems with other things Trump has done, this just isn't one of them)

2MF

This election cycle has been so exhausting. I really want it to be over. The type of people that Trump brought out though will still be out there, even when she wins. So that sucks. Like America needs anymore of that.

And the next candidate might just a little bit smarter and avoid all the bad moves Trump did while being as horrible (or worse) than him.

UraMallas

This is all kind of stupid, but I don't have a problem with Trump doing it, per se. It's important that a president is able to remain cool and collected regardless of external factors. And Hillary will, I think. She's certainly a lot better at it than Trump.

(I have plenty of problems with other things Trump has done, this just isn't one of them)

Another good point. As a Hillary supporter, I really have no problem with this at all.

how is this remotely similar?

It's not like he's murdering her dog. She'll have to deal with it and I have total faith it won't even be an issue. The stupid thing Clinton did was even starting down the path, honestly.

Pastry

Banned
It's obviously a case of Trump said some shit on Twitter he shouldn't have and now she's like yeah I'll be there.

I feel like a lot of you fail to kind of grasp how this all works.

Cuban is a surrogate for Hillary. There's nothing odd or weird about him being invited. He's a donor (I assume) and has been on the stump for her. Having him there is a calculated move, of course, because she wants to get under Trump's skin. And, clearly, it worked! Because Trump is a giant man child who is incapable of wrapping his tiny hands around his own throat long enough to shut the fuck up.

Inviting Gennifer means nothing to Hillary at all. Please. She's dealt with this bullshit for 30 years. Like, the right has been throwing this shit at her for decades. Plus, you know, no one would see anything wrong with a surrogate being at a debate. That's normal. Trump having someone associated with his opponents spouse, though, is gross. And, like, if he does something gross, you;ll be able to hear his numbers among college educated white women slam into the wall at 300 mph.

Henkka

Banned
Hypocritical, childish, and seems like the kind of thing that would backfire with any on the fence types.

Yeah. When Hillary had pneumonia, he was pretty classy about it. Seemed to understand that sometimes an attack can just make yourself look bad. Not so here.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
He is walking into a trap.

You think this move was forseeable? Trump could have invited anyone to sit there and this is his play?

He could have invited a Medal of Honor winner and went this route instead. Probably because he courts attention at all costs, it's bold and brings bad associations to the Public's attention. I think he won't even mention her, and let the media do his work.

If anything he will bring up Juanita Broderick, and there is no defense for that. If she starts victim blaming, he pulls out her tweet that women victims of rape should always be believed. I don't see how he could lose now, actually. Trump is the one who set a trap.

Just replace Cuban by Mr. and Mrs. Khan, Hillary.
But then Trump would bring in family members of those killed in Benghazi.

This is all about getting in your opponent's head. And for all those giving Trump shit for this, Hillary started it by inviting Cuban. She did that to get into Trump's head.

UraMallas

Yes, if you're a sociopath, the difference is immaterial. If one lacks human emotion, then yes, they are roughly the same thing.

I don't buy that at all. Politics are cut throat and you can only ask her to have the proper temperament to deescalate the issue going forward. This isn't even on the radar of the despicable things he's done. I'm also not lowering the bar for Trump on this one - Clinton tried to play his game and failed. The best way to win at Trump's game is to not play. It's not likely to affect her, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom