• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey issue statement on actions on Nimble America

Exuro

So... what he's saying is that if I give my money to Oculus I'm essentially funding this shit?
I get more and more pissed off when I read that post. Really wish I didn't purchase his headset.

I'm hoping more articles are posted tomorrow as to keep facebook/oculus from sweeping this under the rug over the weekend.

I get more and more pissed off when I read that post. Really wish I didn't purchase his headset.

I'm hoping more articles are posted tomorrow as to keep facebook/oculus from sweeping this under the rug over the weekend.

In the wake of the "games ruined by creator's politics" thread, my wife and I had a conversation about where the line is, in terms of separating the art from the artist. One of the hypotheticals was "if the money you give them is actively spent to further the views you disagree with," and how that would make the decision to avoid their work much easier.

Hilariously, Luckey has *literally* stated that money given to his businesses will go back into this sort of thing. An easy decision, indeed.

We also talked about how upset I'd be if I had donated to his Kickstarter, etc... sorry to hear that you're in that position. Your solace can be in the fact that a) you didn't know it at the time, and b) you know you wouldn't have, if you had known.

I still can't believe Jason Rubin's garbage response. Insulting, and condescending, and with that bit about making the world a better place, finally, completely repulsive.
I feel bad for the Oculus employees who aren't assholes, unlike the management who approves of racist shitbags. That's what they've turned this company into.

To be fair, Oculus and Facebook are probably looking to get rid of him as soon as possible. He has been a PR nuisance since FB acquired Oculus.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
To be fair, Oculus and Facebook are probably looking to get rid of him as soon as possible. He has been a PR nuisance since FB acquired Oculus.

If Jason Rubin saying he's okay with Palmer continuing to represent the company after this, then they're okay with being tied to white supremacy. They don't seem to be too eager to do much of anything regarding Palmer.

Jason Rubin doesn't make decisions as far as I know, so yeah, he's supporting him and/or and idiot.

The people who can get rid of him are probably looking through a legal nightmare. If Palmer is fired, I think it's going to be a process and won't be immediately. (as much as I'd like for them to fire him days ago)

Yeah, Rubin is salt in the wound. These people would be better off shutting up and trying to ride it out.
So far, it looked like some kind of PR mismanagement where they didn't comprehend the full scope of the allegations, but this makes it look like they're willfully ignoring it, if not tacitly approving.

I genuinely wonder at what point Zuckerberg will step in and quietly show people the door or reassign them.

Jason Rubin doesn't make decisions as far as I know, so yeah, he's supporting him and/or and idiot.

The people who can get rid of him are probably looking through a legal nightmare. If Palmer is fired, I think it's going to be a process and won't be immediately. (as much as I'd like for them to fire him days ago)
FB might be letting it play out a bit to have a case of this very concretely hurting their business interests.
And if it doesn't visibly affect their business, no need to do anything.

hesido

My thoughts as well. They can't fire him without a legal shitstorm. The only logical way is him leaving the company and that won't happen as well. He could buy an island with his money and drink mojito till the end of days but I guess it's good to go to work.

FB might be letting it play out a bit to have a case of this very concretely hurting their business interests.
And if it doesn't visibly affect their business, no need to do anything.
I just don't see any value in keeping Luckey at this point. He has consistently opened his mouth without the permission of PR and now this shit. I have to imagine lawyers have been looking into this since the TDB article.

I think this will always get repeated, sadly. Arthands hasn't shown up in the thread since page 16 (50ppp) and I don't think we'll see an update to the OP from them any time soon.
OP has been in denial about it, so even if he did show up I doubt we'd see some change. Maybe a mod could do it if they see ift?

Belfast

In some ways, even more than the Trump support and racist bullshit of Nimble America, it's that Luckey's actions represent those of someone with a lot of money from the "meme generation" that disgusts me. I can't support someone who publicly interferes with serious matters like the US Presidential Election for the lulz. I don't want to see the world become a vector for 4chan's bullshit.

Statement by Brendan Iribe, CEO of Oculus:

XtX0btD.png

http://venturebeat.com/2016/09/23/palmer-luckey-i-am-deeply-sorry-that-my-actions-hurt-oculus/

Wow; so they are doing literally fucking nothing about any of this. I'm a little surprised by that.

jason rubin also came out in support of luckey: https://twitter.com/Jason_Rubin/status/779512905221885952

lol @ his mentions being full of the email screencaps contradicting luckey's facebook post

I was going to say something about this, but then I saw that he works for Oculus so this just feels like an arse-kissing automatic defence.

KHarvey16

This whole thing is really disappointing on a number of levels. What a foolish thing to do, but also what a foolish set of beliefs to latch on to. Yuck.

Usobuko

Banned
It's easy for them to support Palmer or be incredibly dismissive on his actions because they are all okay with white supremacy. It doesn't affect them ( as much ).

Not really surprising at all.

This was the talk of the town at EGX whenever Oculus Rift was being used. This is going to spread like wildfire in a bad way, they better kick him out of there.

Yeah, Rubin is salt in the wound. These people would be better off shutting up and trying to ride it out.
So far, it looked like some kind of PR mismanagement where they didn't comprehend the full scope of the allegations, but this makes it look like they're willfully ignoring it, if not tacitly approving.

I genuinely wonder at what point Zuckerberg will step in and quietly show people the door or reassign them.

Does Oculus have a PR team? If so then they have to be the most incompetent ones in the entire industry. Every time that company fucks up, their response only make things worse.

Also, can we stop calling the Alt-Right by that name and start calling them what they are: Neo Nazi's? I don't really think we should play into their "re-branding".

RCSI

Such a "we already got paid, the fuck do we care" response.

More like, they cannot do anything about the "views" due to California Laws.

Some states, like California, Colorado, New York, North Dakota and Louisiana, say it’s illegal to retaliate against an employee for their off-duty participation in politics or political campaigns.

It's not so much a "we already got paid, the fuck do we care" but most likely a canned legal response, similar to what you see on the DVD/Blu-ray/Extras packaging when interviews are included.

Behind the scenes, it may be an entirely different situation for all we know.

Usobuko

Banned
This post on Occulus reddit summarize his apology very well.

Let's dissect Palmer's "apology" since quite a few think it actually was... even though it really wasn't an apology over what really matters.

I am deeply sorry that my actions are negatively impacting the perception of Oculus and its partners.

There. That is an apology - but not for funding hate groups or trying to surreptitiously influence an election. It's a public apology to his employer and its partners for the impact his actions are having on them and not for the actions themselves.

The recent news stories about me do not accurately represent my views.

A denial. No statement of which news stories or what exactly he is denying. Basically just fluff in the form of a denial.

Here’s more background: I contributed $10,000 to Nimble America because I thought the organization had fresh ideas on how to communicate with young voters through the use of several billboards.

This is the important part - he admits to funding a right wing white supremacist hate group and even more than that, he praises them for "fresh ideas on how to communicate [their hate and slander] with young voters".

I am a libertarian who has publicly supported Ron Paul and Gary Johnson in the past, and I plan on voting for Gary in this election as well.

We really don't care and who Palmer votes for is private and secret information. Everyone is entitled to political views that we may or may not agree with. That said, based on Palmer's tweet history, I'm as certain that Palmer will vote for Gary Johnson in the privacy of a voting booth as Ted Cruz will vote for Donald Trump.

I am committed to the principles of fair play and equal treatment. I did not write the "NimbleRichMan" posts, nor did I delete the account. Reports that I am a founder or employee of Nimble America are false. I don’t have any plans to donate beyond what I have already given to Nimble America.

If Palmer is so committed to fair play and equal treatment, why all the retweets of racist and bigoted posts by others? Why the $10,000 support of an alt-right smear campaign? And why do The Daily Beast reporters still say they were communicating with Palmer when NimbleRichMan took credit? Why also the present tense in not an employee. At the time Palmer penned this, NimbleRichMan had been scrubbed from the Nimble America website. Was Palmer ever an employee or just not at the time he wrote his "apology"? And no plans to donate more is probably due to the legal cap at the $10,000 ($5000 per individual) he already gave (http://www.fec.gov/info/contriblimitschart1516.pdf). If that wasn't $5000 for him and his girlfriend donated her own $5000, one wonders if any rules might have been broken.

Still, my actions were my own and do not represent Oculus. I’m sorry for the impact my actions are having on the community.

Disclaimer against Oculus having any involvement and once again sorry for the effect of his actions. Not sorry for the actions themselves, and again, he actually praises Nimble America in his so-called apology.

So yes, Palmer did apologize but it wasn't for his actions. It was for the effect his actions had only on his employer and partners, and the community. Now that we have Oculus execs like Jason Rubin falling in line and "accepting Palmer at his word", and Brendan Iribe coming out and saying that he accepts Palmer's apology for the impact this situation is having on the company, our partners, and the industry, that's pretty much it. They don't say anything about funding a white supremacist organization that slanders using "fresh ideas" other than Palmer is entitled to his opinions.

To tell you the truth, I don't give a damn about Palmer's apologies to Oculus, its partners, the industry, or even the community. I care about him running around funding hate groups and it looks like he doesn't regret that and neither do Oculus execs.

And he was shown blatantly lying by TheDailyBeast soon after his 'apology' was posted.

Fuck Palmer and these Occulus execs.

Then they should cut ties with Palmer Luckey. Pretty simple process here.

White supremacy, bigotry and misogyny. These are the views behind which this man decided to put his money. Not to mention his GF who is a GGer. If you can't take a stand against that because you love you some Oculus just that much, perhaps a reevaluation of your priorities is in order? Or a re-evaluation of your empathy levels with communities and people that don't look like you? People are worrying about their rights and their future and you're like, "...but think about this poor, innocent gaming peripheral!" Like, come on.

On a similar note, I'll never fucking understand people who are willing to die on a hill for a product made by a corporation with whom they have no ties, are not gainfully employed by, and who don't give a single fuck about them. Or to a celebrity personality whom they have never met, will never meet, and will never call friends. It seems so...juvenile. So very 1st world problems.

Preach it!! Extremely well written post here.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
More like, they cannot do anything about the "views" due to California Laws.

It's not so much a "we already got paid, the fuck do we care" but most likely a canned legal response, similar to what you see on the DVD/Blu-ray/Extras packaging when interviews are included.

Behind the scenes, it may be an entirely different situation for all we know.

I don't have a lot of faith in the situation being different behind the scenes. If it were, I don't think the official responses would be littered with garbage like "I take him at his word" and "Oculus employees are free to have a difference of opinion when it comes to political matters"

Thanati

The problem with Rubin's quote was that he did it after the apology. If he was standing by his colleague, he would have come out before. However, waiting for the 'apology' (which was in itself BS) is a very poor way to stand up for someone.

RCSI

And if Oculus employees tell their HR team that they feel uncomfortable working with a white supremacist?

Re-position in the company?

Especially after contracts are fulfilled and studios will not want to do business anymore if they retain him in the position he is in.

Not sure how this will play out, but I hope more developers start voicing their concerns.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The really bizarre aspect of Rubin's "I take him at his word" is that EVERYONE had seen the Daily Beast emails from Palmer to the journalist where he admits he was NimbleRichGuy before Rubin wrote it.

So either Jason Rubin wrote that statement with no idea at all what the actual controversy was, or he was complicit with Palmer in lying about it.

Has Nimble America or Milo whatever-the-fuck made a statement? I expect them to fumble this.

This post on Occulus reddit summarize his apology very well.

And he was shown blatantly lying by TheDailyBeast soon after his 'apology' was posted.

Fuck Palmer and these Occulus execs.
This is a good summary. Is there any way we can get this in the OP?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Has Nimble America or Milo whatever-the-fuck made a statement? I expect them to fumble this.

This is a good summary. Is there any way we can get this in the OP?

I'm pretty sure that "Nimble America" is just Palmer and Milo.

Riposte

I've nothing against people who choose to boycott Oculus for their association with Luckey, but I wonder how consistent it is.

Do you also intend to boycott Marvel comic and cinematic universes, pop culture phenomenons as they are, for having a CEO (and wife) who is making far greater contributions to the Trump campaign? This was known before Civil War came out, for example. The runaway success of Marvel/Disney movie and tv series line (and to whatever extent also the comics), including CW recently gross 1 billion+ WW, has a direct money line to the Perlmutter family and that family is making huge donations to the Trump campaign (400,000 just this month vs. Luckey's 10,000 to a SuperPAC). Which VR product I'm going to buy is still a far ways off, so my decision on that is fairly irrelevant, but I can't say I'm going to stop watching Marvel movies anytime soon.

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/marvel-trump-ike-perlmutter-donation-1201692438/
http://deadline.com/2016/07/donald-...l-ike-perlmutter-gop-cnn-fox-news-1201787628/

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've nothing against people who choose to boycott Oculus for their association with Luckey, but I wonder how consistent it is.

Do you also intend to boycott Marvel comic and cinematic universes, pop culture phenomenons as they are, for having a CEO (and wife) who is making far greater contributions to the Trump campaign? This was known before Civil War came out, for example. The runaway success of Marvel/Disney movie and tv series line (and to whatever extent also the comics), including CW recently gross 1 billion+ WW, has a direct money line to the Perlmutter family and that family is making huge donations to the Trump campaign (400,000 just this month vs. Luckey's 10,000 to a SuperPAC). Which VR product I'm going to buy is still a far ways off, so my decision on that is fairly irrelevant, but I can't say I'm going to stop watching Marvel movies anytime soon.

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/marvel-trump-ike-perlmutter-donation-1201692438/
http://deadline.com/2016/07/donald-...l-ike-perlmutter-gop-cnn-fox-news-1201787628/

Sure. They are supporting Trump. Not a big fan but whatever.

If you READ THE FUCKING THREAD you would know that this isn't about Palmer supporting or donating to Trump.

It is about him giving money to or maybe even founding a racist alt-right organization with the purpose of spreading hate speech.

But thanks for letting us know that you don't care if the Marvel CEO is supporting Trump.... I guess.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If you READ THE FUCKING THREAD you would know that this isn't about Palmer supporting or donating to Trump.

It is about him giving money to or maybe even founding a racist alt-right organization with the purpose of spreading hate speech.

I think Riposte is aware, calling Nimble America a SuperPAC.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

People aren't upset because of the connection to Trump, we're upset because the group Palmer funded are white supremacists.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I think Riposte is aware, calling Nimble America a SuperPAC.

If that is the case, sorry Riposte.

I'm starting to think we need a new thread with the title "Palmer Lucky lies in "apology" for funding alt-right hate group"

or

"Palmer Lucky admits to funding racist alt-right organization"

So many low information finger wagging posts.

Alucrid

Banned

"HAHAHA I GOT YOU FUCKING HYPOCRITES"

Nanashrew

Banned

It's not about Trump. It's about funding Nimble America, a group of white supremacists.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Yes. And for those who need a reminder of the sort of fellow he is, this is not even the worst of his exploits just the easiest example. Google if you must know more. I'm not spreading his shit.

there is something seriously wrong with a "person" that shames a fat guy who is actively at the gym. I mean, even if your principals are against that shit you have to at least recognize the dude is at the gym trying to make things better. People are awful.

Top Bottom