• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima Productions Countdown site for E3

Cerberus

The demand for a ZOE3 is higher than for a sequel to Snatcher and Snatcher is not as well known as ZOE, right? If Konami hasn't given ZOE3 the green light yet, I don't think they would allow KojiPro to make a new Snatcher either. Neither has been proven to make the big bucks yet so Konami will just keep relying on KP to develop more MGS titles. I hope that "someday" about ZOE3 is sooner rather than later. :(

StuBurns

Banned
Cerberus said:
The demand for a ZOE3 is higher than for a sequel to Snatcher and Snatcher is not as well known as ZOE, right? If Konami hasn't given ZOE3 the green light yet, I don't think they would allow KojiPro to make a new Snatcher either. Neither has been proven to make the big bucks yet so Konami will just keep relying on KP to develop more MGS titles. I hope that "someday" about ZOE3 is sooner rather than later. :(
I think a Snatcher reboot would have been prefaced with a Snatcher port to iPhone or something. Just to test the market. Suda was meant to be working on one ages ago, but that didn't happen it appears, which is another reason to think it's not happening.

I do think ZoE3 has at least been seriously considered over there, if not worked on to some degree. There was a little tease in one of the podcast a few months back.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Yeah, Mr. Kojima said ZOE is on the top of his "To Do List".

Knight77

Omiee said:
so its a snatcher game..? why does the site say metal gear in the discription than

Can be also che other meaning, the way to use the sword, I also posted a video about that meaning...

B.K.

Omiee said:
so its a snatcher game..? why does the site say metal gear in the discription than

Snatcher takes place in the Metal Gear universe. Maybe they're going to rebrand it Metal Gear: Snatcher.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Errr remember Snatcher has been tied to the MGS universe officially since MGS4.

If Kojima brings back Snatcher, it WILL be through MGS.

This is probably all Metal Gear Rising-related.

Cerberus

StuBurns said:
I think a Snatcher reboot would have been prefaced with a Snatcher port to iPhone or something. Just to test the market. Suda was meant to be working on one ages ago, but that didn't happen it appears, which is another reason to think it's not happening.

I do think ZoE3 has at least been seriously considered over there, if not worked on to some degree. There was a little tease in one of the podcast a few months back.

How did that Suda51 "Project S" thing come to exist anyways? I see it on Wikipedia all the time, but there's never a source for it. Would've been interesting to see a collaboration between the two of them.

Konami should give ZOE the God of War Collection treatment to test the waters for a ZOE3. I have a feeling it would flop though. :lol
:(
How well did the GoW collection do worldwide?

StuBurns

Banned
Cerberus said:
How did that Suda51 "Project S" thing come to exist anyways? I see it on Wikipedia all the time, but there's never a source for it. Would've been interesting to see a collaboration between the two of them.

Konami should give ZOE the God of War Collection treatment to test the waters for a ZOE3. I have a feeling it would flop though. :lol
:(
How well did the GoW collection do worldwide?
Suda and Kojima are friends and Snatcher is a favorite of Suda. Suda did have a radio drama produced I believe, but that's all that has come out of Project S so far.

As for ZoE Collection, I although ZoE2 HD on PSN/XBLA seems such a great fit. It's one of those games that I think you could literally just render in HD at 60fps and it would hold up incredibly well. The art is awesome, and their use of particle effects and things still hold up to today's efforts.

I don't know how GoW Collection did, but I suspect easily made a significant profit.

Turk said:
So are we any closer to figuring out what all the “cut scenes” on the teaser website are hiding? Or is it just a hint that the next game will have a shit load of cut scenes?

:lol I think that seems spot on. It could alternatively mean the cutscenes are being removed. But yeah, cutscenes. Fits in with the sort of wordplay Kojima tends to stick in his trailers.

Midou

It would be easy to make a new Snatcher game work. I don't care if he ret-cons, remakes, etc. I just want a curret-gen game like Snatcher.

To hype it up, they could release Snatcher on PSN/XBLA for cheap, advertise it as from the creator of Metal Gear Solid and whatnot.

I'm only placing a tiny bit of hope that its Snatcher, last time people went so god damn deep into the E3 teaser sites, looking at each individual pixel, and it was nothing special and irrelevant in the end, so I don't think its as complex as its being made out to be. Kojima is no Valve.

Edit: Also is it just me or has the site been changing? I swear the first time I went to it, there was no Kanji flashing, then it would only flash once when the site first loaded up, I'd wait like 2 or 3 minutes and no more flashes. Now it seems to flash part of the Kanji every little while.

IrishNinja

Ether_Snake said:

Wait...how, exactly? what in MGS4 tied to Snatcher?

yeah, i wish i knew how that turned out, too.

jett

D-Member
IrishNinja said:

yeah, i wish i knew how that turned out, too.

It's not tied at all, I dunno what Ether Snake is talking about. Just little references, like the Metal Gear MK2 design, and the trenchcoat in Act 3.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Errr,
it is definitly referenced, and Raiden and Big Boss are basically Snatcher precursors/prototypes. Read up on it. Plus, the original Metal Gear Rising Raiden picture had the three holes on the forehead and red eye, which are Snatcher features. We could even imagine that the mutated Fox Die of MGS4 could be the equivalent of Lucipher Alpha.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
IrishNinja said:

MG2SS features a hint about Big Boss' cyborg body being a Snatcher prototype developed by Madnar (except for the human-ripping part). So you'd say Snatcher is a distant sequel from the MGS universe.

http://thesnakesoup.org/?section=myths&content=bbsnatcher

Also, it surprises me how much Snatcher gets requested for a remake, while it has some really good merits, it's borderline pastiche from Blade Runner.

I'd rather take Policenauts for a remake (arguably a game more richer in content/setting/script/gameplay/etc than Snatcher) with english VO and some new content. IMO, it's way better than Snatcher.

jett said:
It's not tied at all, I dunno what Ether Snake is talking about. Just little references, like the Metal Gear MK2 design, and the trenchcoat in Act 3.

Snatcher Project in MGS4 Database. Edit: but not sure it explicitly links them, it's the same character but that's nothing new.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
They've always been coy about the fun little references between the MG and Snatcher universes, but Rising might very well be the official bridge that closes the gap.

It's an intriguing prospect, but time will tell if they actually decide to pull the trigger on something like this...

IrishNinja

bernardobri said:
MG2SS features a hint about Big Boss' cyborg body being a Snatcher prototype developed by Madnar (except for the human-ripping part). So you'd say Snatcher is a distant sequel from the MGS universe.

http://thesnakesoup.org/?section=myths&content=bbsnatcher.

alright, i get what ether was saying, but...
wasnt MGS2 (MSX) Terminator Big Boss retconned out? id assumed so, or at least, it was a robot dupe. the idea of that T-800 homage talking to Snake for like an hour too long at The Boss' grave in MGS4 ending makes my head hurt even more.

guys, i know Kojima makes these links, but are you that comfortable with them to think he's really reviving/weaving these stories together? Snatcher had a Konami bar, basically. i dont expect this game to be a Contra one.
im playing Policenauts now, and there's (i think) Gillian in the police lobby, there's Meryl in Vice. i genuinely think Kojima's having fun with cameos, not trying to tell some epic tale where Raiden is a proto-Snatcher that eventually becomes a Frozener.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
IrishNinja said:
alright, i get what ether was saying, but...
wasnt MGS2 (MSX) Terminator Big Boss retconned out? id assumed so, or at least, it was a robot dupe. the idea of that T-800 homage talking to Snake for like an hour too long at The Boss' grave in MGS4 ending makes my head hurt even more.

guys, i know Kojima makes these links, but are you that comfortable with them to think he's really reviving/weaving these stories together? Snatcher had a Konami bar, basically. i dont expect this game to be a Contra one.
im playing Policenauts now, and there's (i think) Gillian in the police lobby, there's Meryl in Vice. i genuinely think Kojima's having fun with cameos, not trying to tell some epic tale where Raiden is a proto-Snatcher that eventually becomes a Frozener.

Well, Snatcher being a distant sequel from the MG franchise has always been a funny easter egg to me rather than something "official". Kojima himself has stated that all these nods are "gifts" for the core Konami/KojiPro fans for their support around the years.

Policenauts came out waaaay before MGS1, actually you're seeing the original version of Meryl. Obviously the character isn't the same, but it pretty much served as the basis for the MG version.

And while the receptionist isn't a nod to Gillian, you'll see him in another easter egg if you keep your eyes open. (Randam appears in the prologue, for example.)

Graphics Horse said:
Snatcher Project in MGS4 Database. Edit: but not sure it explicitly links them, it's the same character but that's nothing new.

That reminds me. I wonder if they'll ever update that database with Peace Walker stuff. Probably wont though.

Ether_Snake said:

no, not really. In the Snatcher games, a Snatcher is a cybernetic clone of a human. In MGS, a snatcher is a human that has been turned into a cyborg.

IrishNinja

bernardobri said:
Policenauts came out waaaay before MGS1, actually you're seeing the original version of Meryl. Obviously the character isn't the same, but it pretty much served as the basis for the MG version.

And while the receptionist isn't a nod to Gillian, you'll see him in another easter egg if you keep your eyes open. (Randam appears in the prologue, for example.)

i never even considered this, for some reason...nice.
you sure about the station, though? not the dick receptionist, the guy that shows up later when you're touring the station who keeps getting teased about TV stuff like X-files and such? looked like him a bit...but thanks for the heads up, will keep an eye out.

Knight77

Ok guys...

Sum up post:

so the real and final image is this:

30w1lhz.jpg

So as said before the right meaning is

Hit/Slash with a blade [First Kanji]

Snatch/take something from someone using the force [Second Kanji]

Then this two together can have also some different meaning. My girlfriend, who is asian and translated the kanji for me, told me not only the things written until now but she also said that the image closer to the concept of the first kanji is what you can see at min. 1.10 of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs9BRZHa7Ns

Now I must also point out that in the "minivideos" of the KP website there are also images of scissors not only blades...mah....

IrishNinja said:

Through a certain Dr. Petrovich:

Wilipedia said:
In Metal Gear 2, when the player calls George Kasler during the final battle, he mentions a rumor about Big Boss receiving cybernetic "snatcher" organs from Dr. Pettrovich after losing his limbs, right ear and right eye (which was already missing in the original game) in battle. While some fans interpret this as a jab directed at Snake's Revenge, it's actually a reference to Kojima's previous game, Snatcher. Dr. Petrovich appears in Snatcher as the founder of the Snatcher Project. Strangely, this reference was counted as canon by the Metal Gear Solid 4 Database.

Gorgon

bernardobri said:
Also, it surprises me how much Snatcher gets requested for a remake, while it has some really good merits, it's borderline pastiche from Blade Runner.

That's your answer right there.

Gorgon said:
That's your answer right there.

Not to mention that there isn't that many games out that fall into the cyberpunk genre currently (the only newish one I can think of is Shadowrun, and while it was a fine FPS, it didn't really catch the flavor of Shaowrun or the genre).

Knight77 said:
Ok guys...

Sum up post:

so the real and final image is this:

30w1lhz.jpg

So as said before the right meaning is

Hit/Slash with a blade [First Kanji]

Snatch/take something from someone using the force [Second Kanji]

Then this two together can have also some different meaning. My girlfriend, who is asian and translated the kanji for me, told me not only the things written until now but she also said that the image closer to the concept of the first kanji is what you can see at min. 1.10 of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs9BRZHa7Ns

Now I must also point out that in the "minivideos" of the KP website there are also images of scissors not only blades...mah....

Maybe KojiPro has been tapped to make the official games for the new Highlander remakes? That description could easily fit with the Quickening. ;p

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm going to go left field and suggest this has something to do with Move or dare I say Wiimote since hitting and slashing are things associated with wand like motion controls.

chandoog said:
I'm going to go left field and suggest this has something to do with Move or dare I say Wiimote since hitting and slashing are things associated with wand like motion controls.

I still think that KojiPro is doing something exclusive for the 360. Probably some Kinect thing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
SolidSnakex said:
I still think that KojiPro is doing something exclusive for the 360. Probably some Kinect thing.

Rising support for Move/Kinect ? I can see that happening,

JBaird

Banned
chandoog said:

I'd say they are more a poke at people complaining about cut scenes than anything related to actually cutting.

StuBurns said:
I doubt it, unless it's something very cheap to make. An XBLA game maybe.

We'll find out in a few hours. I just think that their big surprise this year will be that they got an exclusive game from KojiPro. People will only be expecting Kojima to show off Rising but he'll also announce an exclusive title.

StuBurns

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
We'll find out in a few hours. I just think that their big surprise this year will be that they got an exclusive game from KojiPro. People will only be expecting Kojima to show off Rising but he'll also announce an exclusive title.
A non-Natal exclusive I could see. But if anyone is expecting KojiPro throwing 20M on a game for an unproven add-on, I suspect they'll be disappointed.

StuBurns said:
A non-Natal exclusive I could see. But if anyone is expecting KojiPro throwing 20M on a game for an unproven add-on, I suspect they'll be disappointed.

I'd agree, but I could see MS tossing some serious funding to a core-favored developer like KojiPro to kick out some exclusive to get core gamers interested in Natal (in addition to MS's own releases, of course).

StuBurns

Banned
Lonewolf_92 said:
I'd agree, but I could see MS tossing some serious funding to a core-favored developer like KojiPro to kick out some exclusive to get core gamers interested in Natal (in addition to MS's own releases, of course).
Yeah I guess so. But it'd have to be an obscene amount, enough to cover development and the loss of profit from using those resources and time on software that'd sell a few million units. It'd probably cost them 50m. Seems like a very bad use of cash.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I gotta give it to KP/Konami marketing, they really know how to create a storm over what amounts to essentially nothing.

JBaird

Banned
Gorgon said:
So, when is the reveal?

Was about to say during Konami's conference, but the E3 Thread says that's Wednesday so I guess during Microsofts Conference or just announced on the website.

Top Bottom