• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Searches For ‘VR’ Rocket 300% Worldwide After Apple Unveils Vision Pro

"
  • Searches for ‘VR,’ ‘mixed reality,’ and ‘augmented reality’ soared 300%, 1,130%, and 545% after Apple announced its Vision Pro headset.
  • Google Trends data reveals ‘AI’ interest skyrocketed to an all-time high in May, climbing 619% since 2004
  • User interest in AI has more than doubled since the beginning of 2023, jumping from 17 million searches in January to 42 million in May

Online Searches For VR Skyrocketed

Analysis of Google search data reveals that online searches for ‘VR’ rocketed 300% worldwide on June 5, as Apple unveiled its new Vision Pro mixed reality headset at the Worldwide Developers Conference in California.

A new finding by Digital-adoption.com reveals online interest in ‘VR’ increased 300% over the last seven days, since the headset, priced at $3,499 and set to release next year, was announced
." https://www.valuewalk.com/searches-for-vr-rocket-300-worldwide-after-apple-unveils-vision-pro/

BbHnEcO.jpg

Looks like Apple's Vision Pro announcement completely undercut the Quest 3 and muted whatever hype it was going to generate. I wonder if Meta made the announcement so close to Apples conference date on purpose or not, because it was clearly a huge mistake..

The AVP reveal video on Youtube has crossed 21 million views, which is above average for many product reveals but for a VR device it's by far the most ever:

Comparing it with other new VR headsets this year, here's the PS VR2 launch trailer which has 3.9m views:

Then you have the Quest 3 revealed 6 days ago, which hasn't yet reached 1m views with only 849k reached, matching the sentiment I've been seeing lately that Apple pretty much buried the Quest 3 under its shadow and it's interest has been muted despite being the successor to the most successful headset so far:

Sure there was laughter at Apple's price, the lack of showing games or really showing much of anything at the conference even for productivity, the possibility that people wearing glasses may need to pay $600 more for inserts, Vision Pro's questionable usefulness, and we all thought Tim had lost his mind.

But after continuous hype online 3 days later still near the top of the news cycle, and a very clear interest worldwide in this device, I think many of us may have been completely wrong and the Vision Pro is about to be a lot more successful than all of us thought, because let's be straight here, the interest in this thing is unprecedented for any headset and even for many electronic products that aren't even related to VR or AR.

Maybe that 1.5m BOA estimated was the low end, and it could sell even more than that the first year. Maybe all of us just can't see it, but all the casuals can. 🤷‍♂️

$2000 or more will soon be the standard price for VR headsets in the near future I guess. Crazy week.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
300% isn't really much of an increase considering it's a reveal announcement tbh. (only a 3x increase)

Kinda funny how apple gets hype for doing even less than the competition (only "feature" was 2D screens & pinch to zoom), but that's apple marketing for ya.

Last edited:

Stooky

300% isn't really much of an increase considering it's a reveal announcement tbh.

Kinda funny how apple has hype for doing even less than the competition, but that's apple marketing for ya.
According to what metric is 300% not a lot?

I just realized the far left side of the chart with the red line showing small little bumps was the Quest 3 reveal. Jeezus.

Crayon

It's impressive at any price. I'm not surprised it's getting noticed. And no, I highly doubt it's all greasy apple sycophants.

As for the quest 3's comparatively muted reaction, it's $500 is probably dissapointing. The quest 2 was 299 for a long stretch there (and now will be again), and the 3 is an iterative upgrade for a lot more money. At least in comparison to apple's thing here, q3 is just not very exciting.

Buggy Loop

I’m gonna be honest, just last week I was hyped for Quest 3 to retire my Quest 2

Now.. I feel like it’ll become a dead weight in the span of a year if I buy Quest 3. Too much will change rapidly in coming 2 years.

Gabe from Valve has apparently said that chasing “cheap” headset is a mistake and I feel like they would want to make Deckard even more expensive than Index, but this is ultimately what push this business forward. Buying a cheap headset only for it to sleep in a closet for months/years is not healthy, not healthy at all.

Can’t believe Meta has paid all these brilliant peoples, bought so many studios, invested so many in R&D only to feel like it missed the mark completely.

This is what it feels like

I fee like spending ~$500 dollars for meta ecosystem now will fee ridiculous when Vision hits iPhone price in late 2024 or 2025.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I’m gonna be honest, just last week I was hyped for Quest 3 to retire my Quest 2

Now.. I feel like it’ll become a dead weight in the span of a year if I buy Quest 3. Too much will change rapidly in coming 2 years.

Gabe from Valve has apparently said that chasing “cheap” headset is a mistake and I feel like they would want to make Deckard even more expensive than Index, but this is ultimately what push this business forward. Buying a cheap headset only for it to sleep in a closet for months/years is not healthy, not healthy at all.

Can’t believe Meta has paid all these brilliant peoples, bought so many studios, invested so many in R&D only to feel like it missed the mark completely.

I fee like spending ~$500 dollars for meta ecosystem now will fee ridiculous when Vision hits iPhone price in late 2024 or 2025.

Same thing will happen to apple's too. In a year's time you'll get competitors that make a more powerful headset with a far bigger feature set for half the price.

I wouldn't be so quick to buy into the bullshots. virtual avatars are gonna be uncanny valley to the maximum.

Meta paid the same brilliant people that apple did, apple just has better marketing.
The reality is that both headsets will end up collecting dust after the initial novelty wears off.

The idea of a headset being an everyday device that people chose over their computers and phones is a mythical pipe dream.
That's the reason why both meta and apple are having trouble actually showing legitimately interesting use cases for their headsets outside of gaming.

CGNoire

"
  • Searches for ‘VR,’ ‘mixed reality,’ and ‘augmented reality’ soared 300%, 1,130%, and 545% after Apple announced its Vision Pro headset.
  • Google Trends data reveals ‘AI’ interest skyrocketed to an all-time high in May, climbing 619% since 2004
  • User interest in AI has more than doubled since the beginning of 2023, jumping from 17 million searches in January to 42 million in May

Online Searches For VR Skyrocketed

Analysis of Google search data reveals that online searches for ‘VR’ rocketed 300% worldwide on June 5, as Apple unveiled its new Vision Pro mixed reality headset at the Worldwide Developers Conference in California.

A new finding by Digital-adoption.com reveals online interest in ‘VR’ increased 300% over the last seven days, since the headset, priced at $3,499 and set to release next year, was announced
." https://www.valuewalk.com/searches-for-vr-rocket-300-worldwide-after-apple-unveils-vision-pro/

BbHnEcO.jpg

Looks like Apple's Vision Pro announcement completely undercut the Quest 3 and muted whatever hype it was going to generate. I wonder if Meta made the announcement so close to Apples conference date on purpose or not, because it was clearly a huge mistake..

The AVP reveal video on Youtube has crossed 21 million views, which is above average for many product reveals but for a VR device it's by far the most ever:

Comparing it with other new VR headsets this year, here's the PS VR2 launch trailer which has 3.9m views:

Then you have the Quest 3 revealed 6 days ago, which hasn't yet reached 1m views with only 849k reached, matching the sentiment I've been seeing lately that Apple pretty much buried the Quest 3 under its shadow and it's interest has been muted despite being the successor to the most successful headset so far:

Sure there was laughter at Apple's price, the lack of showing games or really showing much of anything at the conference even for productivity, the possibility that people wearing glasses may need to pay $600 more for inserts, Vision Pro's questionable usefulness, and we all thought Tim had lost his mind.

But after continuous hype online 3 days later still near the top of the news cycle, and a very clear interest worldwide in this device, I think many of us may have been completely wrong and the Vision Pro is about to be a lot more successful than all of us thought, because let's be straight here, the interest in this thing is unprecedented for any headset and even for many electronic products that aren't even related to VR or AR.

Maybe that 1.5m BOA estimated was the low end, and it could sell even more than that the first year. Maybe all of us just can't see it, but all the casuals can. 🤷‍♂️

$2000 or more will soon be the standard price for VR headsets in the near future I guess. Crazy week.

Its bonkers you equate google searches for VR vocabulary and interest in what Apple's new product is with actual intetest in buying said product.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
First and foremost I really do appreciate the technology but this thing might as well be a piece of shit for gamers when not enough peripherals or compatibility has been announced and before somebody criticizes, I don't have time to read everything I've only watched some positive or certain videos that aren't allowed to necessarily bash the thing and I've watched others that have been more critical mainly because of the price.

It's hard to really judge this if you are just looking at it as a mainstream hyper expensive device like apple wants to sell it as. It's going to be almost 4,000 after taxes and I don't see how other than some degree of bragging rights that this thing is going to be anything anybody here would want to buy. I do understand if you're just some kind of loyalist or whatever but you are far better off getting any of the cheaper headsets to achieve your gaming needs

So, cool technology aside, and if I had money to blow I would research this before buying and may consider it pending peripheral support and compatibility with pretty much everything else like all the other headsets have. Otherwise this may will be a piece of shit like I said initially. I don't drink the Apple Kool-Aid and that price is way overpriced no matter how you look at it but Apple can do what they want and the loyalist or somebody will defend it to no and.

StueyDuck

The brainwashing Apple have on people is actually insane if you think about it.

But more vr is good vr. If this means VR will be better supported then I'm all for it. But we all know Apple are going to gatekeep and make VR for "the stupids"

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Most of those searches were probably asking if the Vision Pro actually does VR... because the presentation sure as hell didn't say that it did.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Because people are trying to figure it out why Apple is asking 3500$ for a single gimmick device.

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF
Gimmick device?
It's a portable computer with VR/AR at best quality.
I'm not a fan of anything and Apple too. Never had a single Apple device. But I'm a VR enthusiast and this is very interesting device.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Everyone knew Sony would release a new PSVR headset. Nobody knew if Apple would've announce a headset at this time.

The brainwashing Apple have on people is actually insane if you think about it.

But more vr is good vr. If this means VR will be better supported then I'm all for it. But we all know Apple are going to gatekeep and make VR for "the stupids"

And that's what VR needs.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Everyone knew Sony would release a new PSVR headset. Nobody knew if Apple would've announce a headset at this time.
Really? Nobody? Nobody knew with 100% certainty perhaps, but it was well known that it was very likely they would, it's the only reason I watched that snooze fest

Buggy Loop

Same thing will happen to apple's too. In a year's time you'll get competitors that make a more powerful headset with a far bigger feature set for half the price.

Far bigger feature set?

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

You even realize how tough for these companies it is to make UX even that smooth, let alone the headset? 500 patents. 500. The next competitor will probably not even be Meta or Valve but the likes of Samsung / Google.

Vision non pro will already be half price by the time they even react

I wouldn't be so quick to buy into the bullshots. virtual avatars are gonna be uncanny valley to the maximum.

Bullshots? Peoples have tried it after WWDC

Meta paid the same brilliant people that apple did, apple just has better marketing.
The reality is that both headsets will end up collecting dust after the initial novelty wears off.

Just better marketing… sure..
Meta had years of head-start, like VR is defined now as it is because of Oculus. Apple jumps in first try and is years ahead. Do not underestimate the engineering work into human interface. There’s a canyon between what Apple presented and the jank of the others so far.

One is trying to sell you ecosystem of computing / TV

One is trying to sell you social network (metaverse)

I for one far better prefer to go with the computer & entertainment one than social network. What about you?

There’s a reason Apple stayed far far away from anything Meta presented for Quest pro, look what happened

Quest 2 went in closets because the only thing it offers is gaming.

That’s why Apple is doing everything else in presentation, the idea is for this to become a daily driver.

The idea of a headset being an everyday device that people chose over their computers and phones is a mythical pipe dream.

Another famous Raonak age like milk quote, ouf. Why do peoples have such a narrow view. You’re talking like this is it for Apple, product is this and we evaluate the result at release. Prices will drop, form factor will get smaller. What’s your timeline for pipe dream?

What you’re saying is that in general VR will never take off, you’re wrong. You think it’s only about gaming, you’re wrong.

Apple didn’t enter this market with $100B investment to pack the bags in a year. Vision pro will sell to devs and the super users first, they don’t care for selling 20M pieces of plastic crap like Meta is doing.

Even Gabe Newell has mentioned that chasing cheap VR will not go well. Expect Deckard to cost more than Index.

That's the reason why both meta and apple are having trouble actually showing legitimately interesting use cases for their headsets outside of gaming.

Uh no, I think everyone would love Apple’s use case, just at cheap price.. which is inevitable. Don’t even put the Meta presentation for AR / multiverse in the same sentence as what Apple showed lol. Are you insane? I don’t even want to buy one (who buys first gen with that price), but your constant dissing on what Apple presented is insane.

Last edited:
Top Bottom