• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Searches For ‘VR’ Rocket 300% Worldwide After Apple Unveils Vision Pro

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Really? Nobody? Nobody knew with 100% certainty perhaps, but it was well known that it was very likely they would, it's the only reason I watched that snooze fest

Well, it also could've been set for when they announce the new iPhones.

midnightAI

Well, it also could've been set for when they announce the new iPhones.
I think the price would have been even less well received if it was announced with iPhones, at least with this one they announced it with other 'Pro' products in the high price range

And yet... Nothing will change. Why? Because even after all these years, even with cheap decent quality headsets, even with standalone headsets that don't require a PC or console, the VR market STILL has yet to produce a true killer app or any real reason to keep coming back. The closest thing that exists to that is Beat Saber and even that lacks the lasting power to bring in tons of new people who will keep putting their headset on regularly. Gabe Newell called this years ago during an interview with a bunch of different journalists talking about how it doesn't matter how cheap you make the headset, or how fancy and expensive it is, it's software that will ultimately dictate the success of VR and after all these years we're still no closer to that meaningful usecase than we were back then. Not even a brand new Half Life game could save it. I don't think anything will.

Tams

300% isn't really much of an increase considering it's a reveal announcement tbh. (only a 3x increase)

Kinda funny how apple gets hype for doing even less than the competition (only "feature" was 2D screens & pinch to zoom), but that's apple marketing for ya.

So much this.

'300 is a big number, let's use that!' Such sensationalist, albeit expected, bullshit.

And Apple were terrified of even saying 'VR' in their entire announcement, even though it very clearly is at least half VR.

Moses85

I know why. They googled for the Insane Pricetag

Montage Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

No one is better at making ppl want something they don't need. Apple sold AR/VR better than anyone else. They are so good at selling and conveying an idea/concept to regular ppl, they make it so easily digestible. But also... 300% really isn't that much, right?

I personally don't understand the hate for the thing and the price. If that $3500 price tag is "too much" for you, then it's not for you. It's just not worth it for you right now. Not every product is for you and there are alternatives.They will make an affordable one eventually. Is a G-Wagon for me? No, I don't like the way it looks and I think it's overpriced. I personally think a Toyota equivalent is much better at 1/2 the price. Do I hate the G-Wagon? No. I know ppl love that thing, it's just not for me.

In all honesty, $3500 for that thing isn't all that bad. Would I buy it? No, I am not beta testing a new product for $3500. I'll wait for the 3rd iteration, when hopefully it's lighter more refined and more fleshed out.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Maybe that 1.5m BOA estimated was the low end, and it could sell even more than that the first year. Maybe all of us just can't see it, but all the casuals can. 🤷‍♂️

$2000 or more will soon be the standard price for VR headsets in the near future I guess. Crazy week.

There's literally a ZERO percent chance the bolded will be true.

danklord

Gold Member
I've spent significant time experimenting with various VR headsets, starting from the first Oculus, Quest, Vive, and PSVR2. During the most recent holiday season, I purchased three pairs of the newly rebranded XReal Air glasses for my family members.

It wasn't until my journey to India with these XReal Air glasses that I truly understood the potential of this hardware. The ability to engage in gaming, use your computer, or watch NFL games while maintaining an ergonomically correct posture has revolutionized my user experience, especially during travel. Working on a virtual three monitor display from my aisle seat is something else. I had the pleasure of beating Crisis Core on a flight using these glasses, which was incomparably better than hunching over a laptop or a Steam Deck, or even sitting at a traditional PC setup.

The sheer comfort of laying down, with your neck naturally supported, playing games like TOTK for extended periods is simply phenomenal. The thought of returning to my Meta Quest 2 for such activities is inconceivable. The XReal Glasses are incredibly convenient to wear, remove, and store. They're discreet and stylish in public settings, unlike most alternatives.

In my quest for more immersion, I purchased a fanless mini PC powered by USB and tested out Parsec while on a train ride. The experience was far superior to any handheld device in terms of immersion. I was so engrossed in playing Forspoken that my journey felt like it passed in an instant!

While I view the Vision Pro as primarily a home device for now, I firmly believe that future iterations will become commonplace during travel. The integration of GeForce Now with Vision OS at launch would indeed be a revolutionary development.

I feel criticisms about the lack of a killer app are myopic. No one in the AR or VR market can match Apple in terms of resources, finesse, and experience to bring this kind of device to life. Most crucially, such a device is the key to mass adoption of this technology. While one could argue that Zoom calls are functional on Oculus, they are simply not in the same league as on the Vision Pro. The emergence of 3D avatars in Zoom meetings is going to be the next big thing in the corporate world. People's virtual representations will become a new status symbol.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

im convinced Draxon is Eddie lol

Of course it's Eddie and I'm glad he's back! Welcome back again Eddie.

No one is better at making ppl want something they don't need. Apple sold AR/VR better than anyone else. They are so good at selling and conveying an idea/concept to regular ppl, they make it so easily digestible. But also... 300% really isn't that much, right?

I personally don't understand the hate for the thing and the price. If that $3500 price tag is "too much" for you, then it's not for you. It's just not worth it for you right now. Not every product is for you and there are alternatives.They will make an affordable one eventually. Is a G-Wagon for me? No, I don't like the way it looks and I think it's overpriced. I personally think a Toyota equivalent is much better at 1/2 the price. Do I hate the G-Wagon? No. I know ppl love that thing, it's just not for me.

In all honesty, $3500 for that thing isn't all that bad. Would I buy it? No, I am not beta testing a new product for $3500. I'll wait for the 3rd iteration, when hopefully it's lighter more refined and more fleshed out.

The bolded isn't actually true. Apple does a great job at conveying to people why the need something that they didn't realize they'd want. People do want and need VR\AR devices, they just don't see the need yet. They don't understand how cool and useful it is.

Last edited:
Of course it's Eddie and I'm glad he's back! Welcome back again Eddie.

The bolded isn't actually true. Apple does a great job at conveying to people why the need something that they didn't realize they'd want. People do want and need VR\AR devices, they just don't see the need yet. They don't understand how cool and useful it is.
I did say later that they are really good at conveying an idea/concept, probably the best at selling it. But you're right, don't need was a stretch, I'll steal your line for future use lol

It's true tho. I never knew I need a smart phone... until they sold me on it.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I did say later that they are really good at conveying an idea/concept, probably the best at selling it. But you're right, don't need was a stretch, I'll steal your line for future use lol

It's true tho. I never knew I need a smart phone... until they sold me on it.

I have and will NEVER be a Apple guy. But I love when they enter into industries because they do exactly as you say. They are masterminds at actually understanding humans and showing them, "this is why this new product is cool and good for your life going forward". After their presentation is over, you seem to find yourself asking "why hasn't anybody else thought of this before?" And the funny part is, there's always 10 companies that are doing it and were doing it before Apple tried, but they are HORRIBLE at anwser the basic question of..................

- Why do I need "Product X"?

The only two companies on Planet Earth that also has great technology verticality is Apple and Tesla. If they can design it and make it they will. Both Tesla and Apple know how to intertwine each of their technologies so that if you have one thing, it easily works with the other. And the more you buy through them, the better each product purchase means to the end user. Most companies have huge issues creating multiple products that all make each work better if you have them all, compared to if you have only one of them.

Apple:
- iPhone
- MacBook
- Apple TV
- Vision Pro

Telsa:
- Model Y
- Charging Network
- Tesla solar power panels
- Tesla Power Wall.

Raonak

Banned
Apple literally spend a decade of R&D to come up with....

Floating screens.

Wall of nonsense

Oh come on bunny, you can't be that blindly in love with this product to see that competitors WILL make a better product and it WILL be cheaper. Substantially cheaper. The apple tax is a real thing.
And yeah. It'll have a better feature set. Apple products have always been a limited gated off experience. This will be no different.

And to think apple and meta aren't doing the exact same thing is just marketing. Don't get so blindly enamoured by the marketing because your brain sees the words apple and you start drooling.

Shit, I'd say without the smoke and mirrors metas attempts are more interesting than the 2D screens that apple seemes obsessed with.

Looks like some people think only one person can make threads on fruit.
There's literally a ZERO percent chance the bolded will be true.
People said this about Smartphones and etc too.
Its bonkers you equate google searches for VR vocabulary and interest in what Apple's new product is with actual intetest in buying said product.
Why are you blaming me for what the article says?

Buggy Loop

Apple literally spend a decade of R&D to come up with....

Floating screens.

Oh come on bunny, you can't be that blindly in love with this product to see that competitors WILL make a better product and it WILL be cheaper. Substantially cheaper. The apple tax is a real thing.
And yeah. It'll have a better feature set. Apple products have always been a limited gated off experience. This will be no different.

And to think apple and meta aren't doing the exact same thing is just marketing. Don't get so blindly enamoured by the marketing because your brain sees the words apple and you start drooling.

Shit, I'd say without the smoke and mirrors metas attempts are more interesting than the 2D screens that apple seemes obsessed with.

iT’s oNLy FLoatIng SCReeNs

Mocking Spongebob Squarepants GIF

They’ll be cheaper! No shit, 80% of the material cost of the headset are the Sony micro-OLED. It’ll drop in price by the time competitors react, wow, Nostradamus.

Apple will just do nothing in meantime. That’s where it stops, what they presented.

Competition can’t offer a better service.

Can you even imagine the JANK of PC laptops syncing to headset or Roku / chrome cast integration?

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

You’re out of your fucking mind. “Oh you can load sidequest to install..” right, that’s already a lost cause for mainstream.

Apple tax, cheaper competition = no sales? By your logic, Apple is dead circa 1980’s. Ultra dead since 2000’s

You’re completely delusional.

Raonak

Banned
lazy gifs

So, you agree that competitors will make a cheaper, more full featured device, that will be compatible on more devices.
Good to see we're on the same page :messenger_bicep:

The promise of vision itself seems to rely primary on it working with other apple products.... to do what exactly?
Gimmick conference calls with uncanny valley avatars? Browse websites with clunky gesture controls?
Is the killer feature really to view your mac or phone screen from the headset?

All these uses are less convenient than what they're trying to replace.

Shit, maybe one day apple will have a product that does something more than FLoatIng SCReeNs, but it seems like some people are ok with the bare minimum.

Has Samsung even mentioned VR recently? Lots of tech sites are claiming that they are going to reveal theirs at their event at the end of July, but there's no news about them even mentioning a headset.

I think people are just assuming Samsung will enter because they are Apples rival in smartphones. If they were going to show anything at their event they would have teased something by now.

Buggy Loop

So, you agree that competitors will make a cheaper, more full featured device, that will be compatible on more devices.
Good to see we're on the same page :messenger_bicep:

The promise of vision itself seems to rely primary on it working with other apple products.... to do what exactly?
Gimmick conference calls with uncanny valley avatars? Browse websites with clunky gesture controls?
Is the killer feature really to view your mac or phone screen from the headset?

All these uses are less convenient than what they're trying to replace.

Shit, maybe one day apple will have a product that does something more than FLoatIng SCReeNs, but it seems like some people are ok with the bare minimum.

Off to ignore list

mckmas8808

Looks like some people think only one person can make threads on fruit.

People said this about Smartphones and etc too.

Why are you blaming me for what the article says?

But the average phone isn't bought for $2,000.

But the average phone isn't bought for $2,000.
This isn't even an argument because neither is the Vision Pro. The point was that plus $1000 phone became the norm for mainstream sales. Tablets as well, and Laptops basically need to be in that range too if you want to read gmail without system interrupts.

PS VR2 and the new Quest 3 are already on the cusp of $600, and most VR headsets otherwise are over $1000 already.

Top Bottom