• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 NVIDIA Error Promo Keys From Amazon Mass Revoked

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There is no high horse, It's common sense. Just because it's been successful in the past doesn't mitigate the inherent risk that was always in it due to you not knowing for certain if the codes were completely valid. Officially those codes aren't meant for resale. If you were ever concerned about that, you could buy the game directly through official outlets. But you didn't and you chose not to, and continued this RISKY practice. This time it caught up with you, accept some responsibility because that was the RISK you took and have been taking.

What you meant to say is it seemed low risk due to it being a common practice that has worked. The only way it would've seemed legitimate is if you legitimately bought it directly through official outlets.

The funny thing is I'd argue that the seller of legit key codes is at a greater risk than the buyer.

I mean what's to stop a buyer from buying a code, using it, then claiming it didn't work and eBay sides with them?

T.O.P

Banned
Microsoft and Amazon should take care of this between themselves, and the people should get to keep their games. I don't know what would have hurt more, the profit loss from all these bad keys being out, or the reputational damage of showing everyone how we should never ever spend any money in the Windows store ever because it's run by incompetent people.

Nah last time i got a key revoked on Steam i learned that i should only buy them from the official channels

Head.spawn

What if you already downloaded it?

License is revoked. You can't play it. It's as if you copied a game from someone elses harddrive... if your account doesn't have the license tied to it, it's a waste of space until you actually repurchase it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
License is revoked. You can't play it. It's as if you copied a game from someone elses harddrive... if your account doesn't have the license tied to it, it's a waste of space until you actually repurchase it.
On the brightside if you do purchase it, there will be no waiting to,play!

Joey Ravn

Banned
I bought a GTX 1070 from Amazon that arrived here yesterday. The only reason I bought it now was to take advantage of the promotion; otherwise, I would have waited a bit till they went down in price, since the card isn't exactly for me (I already have a 1080 I bought in June). I got the code immediately and redeemed it in my account. I preloaded the game yesterday, but now it tells me it has been removed from my account when I got a refund... even though it's still showing up in my app library and it's still installed on my PC.

Has my *legit* game been revoked as well? If it has, I'm returning this GPU today, since I haven't even gotten it outside the box yet.

Edit: Ah, I see. Well, this GPU is going back to Amazon... serves me right for thinking this promotion was worth the impulse buy.

tuna_love

Banned
I bought a GTX 1070 from Amazon that arrived here yesterday. The only reason I bought it now was to take advantage of the promotion; otherwise, I would have waited a bit till they went down in price, since the card isn't exactly for me (I already have a 1080 I bought in June). I got the code immediately and redeemed it in my account. I preloaded the game yesterday, but now it tells me it has been removed from my account when I got a refund... even though it's still showing up in my app library and it's still installed on my PC.

Has my *legit* game been revoked as well? If it has, I'm returning this GPU today, since I haven't even gotten it outside the box yet.

Edit: Ah, I see. Well, this GPU is going back to Amazon... serves me right for thinking this promotion was worth the impulse buy.
you just have to show proof of purchase to nvidia

spannicus

Why would you spend a few hundred to play a 60 dollar game when you already have a 1080?

Are you intentionally being obtuse in this matter? For the sake of simplicity, i'll fix your retail store example. If you go into a retail store and the clerk is handing out freebies as a bonus for a purchase and you get this freebue after picking up the item, do you really expect to keep the freebie if you set the initial item back down?
Yes because the clerk let me do so. Then the producer of the freebie talks to the clerk at the retailer and how the clerk is an idiot and they do something about it.

I wouldn't expect the producer of the freebie to come to my house after the fact and pry it away. It makes the producer look bad, not the retailer.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Why would you spend a few hundred to play a 60 dollar game when you already have a 1080?

I'm building a second PC on the side, piece by piece each month. I could have bought another GPU now or later. Since I already had the money and wanted to play Gears 4, I decided to buy it now to take advantage of the promotion. Play the game now and continue with my build.

My logic is really not that farfetched.

Edit: And yes, I already have a 680 that I could use for this build for the time being. That's why I'm considering just returning this GPU and buying something that the build needs more urgently (a CPU upgrade, mostly) and repurchasing it in the future, when it has become less expensive.

Head.spawn

Yes because the clerk let me do so. Then the producer of the freebie talks to the clerk at the retailer and how the clerk is an idiot and they do something about it.

I wouldn't expect the producer of the freebie to come to my house after the fact and pry it away. It makes the producer look bad, not the retailer.

"Officer... wait one goddamn minute sir. I purchased this unknowingly from the guy that I now know had a creditcard generator; it is mine fair and square!"

If you actually want to get a code, you can hit up NVidia chat support to get another code. Pretty shitty that some people were caught in the crossfire.

I'm building a second PC on the side, piece by piece each month. I could have bought another GPU now or later. Since I already had the money and wanted to play Gears 4, I decided to buy it now to take advantage of the promotion. Play the game now and continue with my build.

there's a lot of arrogant people around here lately where they think just because they don't do something, they can't comprehend why someone else would.

Bl@de

I only downloaded 500MB so I deinstalled it to check. Still says "you own this product".

EDIT: Can also restart the download. So either it will be revoked only after the download or it was a legit key.

Head.spawn

I only downloaded 500MB so I deinstalled it to check. Still says "you own this product".

EDIT: Can also restart the download. So either it will be revoked only after the download or it was a legit key.

Sounds like you either got a valid key, they missed yours or maybe they are doing this in waves?

I dunno. You might've lucked out.

When the key is revoked, if you click on the game it will tell you that you need to buy the game. If it is purchased, it will tell you that you need to wait for the release date to play it.

jadedm17

If you bought legitimately then you're protected through whatever you used.

8bit and others that can't see logic need to deal with it.

This isn't Microsofts fault. They owe nothing. Move on with your life.

spannicus

Edit: And yes, I already have a 680 that I could use for this build for the time being. That's why I'm considering just returning this GPU and buying something that the build needs more urgently (a CPU upgrade, mostly) and repurchasing it in the future, when it has become less expensive.
got you. Show proof of purchase and the code stays yours.

there's a lot of arrogant people around here lately where they think just because they don't do something, they can't comprehend why someone else would.
Im all for getting things on the low but i dont play dumb when i get fucked.

Deception

Purchased a code from someone on Gaf that had a few positive seller transactions in the BST thread and now see that my license has been revoked. I'm very weary now since it seems like the user hasnt posted in a week and sold multiple copies, I also made the mistake of sending payment as a gift so I might be screwed out of my money if he doesn't refund it. Bummer and I bought the code before the Amazon scam thing was known.

Since my IRL friends don't seem like they will be getting this Gears after getting every Gears since the original, I was hoping to convince but now I might not get it at all.

My key got revoked too. The seller already canceled the purchase on ebay and gave me a refund with the money not yet available to me (status open).

Too bad i canceled my cheap physical Gears 4 preorder yesterday. Will probably not play this game then anytime soon.

Bl@de

I'm very weary now since it seems like the user hasnt posted in a week and sold multiple cooies, .

Did the seller look like this?

_1829553.jpg

jk

jonno394

Damn. I bought mine for £30 before I even knew about the Amazon thing. Just checked my PayPal and seller has already refunded. Gutted because I thought I had a legit key.

No gears of war 4 for me then. Not paying £50

You've got to be freaking kidding me... I paid $40 for one because I thought they legitimately had gotten a GPU and didn't want the code or something. I even checked their status on the Feedback thread and they where a Plus seller...

PMing now, hope they give me a refund.

vg260

So how exactly did Amazon get the codes they gave out? Did they get a batch of keys via Nvidia/Microsoft or were they somehow generating them infinitely themselves. It seems some people think Amazon was somehow generating these, but I don't see that as likely. Typically for these things the retailers are given some batch of codes originally created from the the publisher that are distributed. If that was the case it seems like they should have just plugged the hole and let the companies sort it out from there. Revoking already redeemed keys feels like a very slippery slope if it was just a retailer working with a batch of codes, but giving them out indiscriminately. I dunno, key revoking feels like the closest digital equivalent of companies trying to shut down used game sales.

Vuze

Not totally unexpected but poor showing. You'd think that these three (mega) corps would find a way to handle the situation without screwing people.

Anyone know if the Xbox has to connect to the web to activate the preload? Already finished preload there. I'll just keep it offline until release.

martino

i love people playing with the rules who can't accept when they loose.
you play ..you win ..good
you play ... you loose... you take on yourself and take note ...will you play again ?
when you choose underground / not official way to get something the risk you take is also your responsability.

Caayn

Welp, there it is. It's not like MS is unique for doing this.

Last year I got my ESO key revoked because the seller apparently obtained through non-official ways. It's the same story for these Gears keys.

DarKshodaN

Bought a Code here on NeoGaf too and it was removed today, hope i get my Money back, always thought this was a nice Community but now i feel somewhat scammed :(

Arkanius

The seller guaranteed me that the code was not from this error. Yet my code has been revoked as well.

Well shit.

EDIT:

Already seen that people have contacted him already. No worries then...

Top Bottom