• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 NVIDIA Error Promo Keys From Amazon Mass Revoked

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
It still shows up in my games and apps so I'm good right?

Mine showed this when I tried to start it.

61MKL7r.png

Vuze

It still shows up in my games and apps so I'm good right?
Try to download or start it. If it doesn't throw an error, you're good (for now?). It still shows up in my library but has been revoked. Can't get even that right lol

Do I have to make a Windows Store account? So they key isn't for a direct install of the game or through something like Steam or Unreal's website?
I ask because I never used the Windows store and I don't know how these things work. THe last time I got a key with a card was for a Ubi game which required a Uplay account.
Yeah, you need to dl through the store and for that you need a MS account.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Do I have to make a Windows Store account? So they key isn't for a direct install of the game or through something like Steam or Unreal's website?
I ask because I never used the Windows store and I don't know how these things work. THe last time I got a key with a card was for a Ubi game which required a Uplay account.
You need a Microsoft account, like hotmail/outlook/xbox and so on. It all share the same systems and can be used for any.

TitusTroy

so keys sold through Amazon GPU's are fake?...Amazon is usually so easy to deal with...won't they just send you a new legit key?

noise36

I have just bought a 1070 from amazon, I havnt been sent a key but I thought it was because you get it by registering the GPU with the product maker. i.e. EVGA

You redeem the code on the nvidia promo site and it asks you to log in with your MSA then adds it directly to your windows store (Microsoft) account. Not sure about downloading it from there on PC as I've only grabbed it on Xbox - but on Xbox I went to my "ready to install" list and installed it

Zafir

I'm surprised they gave the key before you receive the product.

In the past when I've gotten free games with Nvidia GPU's the code has been inside the box. Maybe that's a UK thing though.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well I can't afford to pay full price so I won't be playing it for a very long time, and honestly, Microsoft haven't earned my trust yet, quite the opposite actually so paying full price on the Windows store is just too much of a gamble right now.

itsmedave

Got my refund from my eBay seller. Guess I'll just pick it up from Best Buy with some rewards certificates which will get it close to what I paid for it on eBay.

Q8D3vil

Are people really blaming MS for this shit...
Some people are really delusional, you get scammed either deal with it with the seller or accept it.
Unless you bought it from MS store or a approved retailer you have no right no blame them.

jrush64

Banned
The person I bought the key from on GAF is telling me that he bought the key from someone else who got it from Amazon. He wouldnt be able to give me a refund until that person gives him a refund.

That's not my problem. I didn't buy it from whoever he got it from.

Tecnniqe

Banned
The person I bought the key from on GAF is telling me that he bought the key from someone else who got it from Amazon. He wouldnt be able to give me a refund until that person gives him a refund.

That's not my problem. I didn't buy it from whoever he got it from.
How sale work:
Distributor > seller > buyer
How refunds work:
Buyer > seller > distributor

Seller needs to refund you, and then ask whoever gave the seller the key for a refund after. Your deal was with the seller, not the sellers provider, that's the sellers sole issue.

Sanjay

Got my key revoked.

I dont actually understand why people are getting mad that got the key through the glitch, not a seller. Of course it was a mistake, but why do you feel entilted to a key you got through a glitch???

What was the glitch?

was it similar to Targets deal with Forza?

Chris1

What was the glitch?

was it similar to Targets deal with Forza?

Buy 1070/1080 on Amazon > They email code on order instead of on shipping > Cancel order

I kinda expected it to get revoked but was hoping not, I just feel bad about people who legitimately paid for codes. RIP to anyone who paid with bitcoin, saw a few sellers wanting bitcoin only lol.

Yep, key revoked. Contacted the gaffer I bought it from, hopefully he gets me a refund. I bought it before the glitch was widely known, so I was hoping it was legit. Not overly happy right now.

jrush64

Banned
How sale work:
Distributor > seller > buyer
How refunds work:
Buyer > seller > distributor

Seller needs to refund you, and then ask whoever gave the seller the key for a refund after. Your deal was with the seller, not the sellers provider, that's the sellers sole issue.

Thats what I told him. Still waiting to hear back from him.

Incredibly enough, I got a refund from a guy I paid through friends and family.

I paid so low I wouldn't have cared anyway, but it's nice to see there are people who are able to recognize their mistakes.

Bought a code from ebay and it still looks good to go.......

Try pre-loading. If it acquires the license, you're good. If it doesn't, it's revoked.

YoshiMax

Good way to piss off customers. When Fallout 4 had that pricing error they at least compensated with Microsoft bucks after they revoked

Right yeah so a bunch of people order graphics cards then cancel once they have a code and sell said code on for profit and you believe MS should pay out compensation as they are pissing off customers? That's quite a persepective you have there.

There's a saying that if something is too good to be true it probably is. Anyone who bought one of these codes knew they were taking a risk and it hasn't worked out so learn a lesson and move on.

Got a refund from the guy I bought the key from.

You really can't blame these companies for revoking the keys. If it had been some folks selling off their spare GPU codes it would have been fine, but when people exploited (presumably) tens of thousands of keys from Amazon they weren't going to let it slide.

They're definitely going to lose users on the Windows store for doing this though. I'm sure a lot of folks only bought the keys because they were super cheap and would otherwise not buy anything from the Windows store.

Chris1

Right yeah so a bunch of people order graphics cards then cancel once they have a code and sell said code on for profit and you believe MS should pay out compensation as they are pissing off customers? That's quite a persepective you have there.

There's a saying that if something is too good to be true it probably is. Anyone who bought one of these codes knew they were taking a risk and it hasn't worked out so learn a lesson and move on.
Yeah this isn't Microsoft's fault, why should they pay for it? Fallout 4's was their fault, so even though compensation wasn't necessary, I can see why they did it and not here.

Got a refund from the guy I bought the key from.

You really can't blame these companies for revoking the keys. If it had been some folks selling off their spare GPU codes it would have been fine, but when people exploited (presumably) tens of thousands of keys from Amazon they weren't going to let it slide.

They're definitely going to lose users on the Windows store for doing this though. I'm sure a lot of folks only bought the keys because they were super cheap and would otherwise not buy anything from the Windows store.

Problem is that some users bought the key without knowing what was going on.

I sure knew it and gambled on it. It didn't work, I'll live.

But hitting customers who just bought something from ebay isn't the way to make things right (hopefully buyer protection kicks in).

It's Amazon's fault. They should be taking the hit, not nvidia, not Ms, not the customers.

Amazon and of course - the real guilty - the scummy sellers who exploited it.

This way no one is happy, outside some scammers who got away with it.

So if all i need is more proof of purchase, I just need to show my 1070s SN to get this to the guy who bought it from me? Because mine was certainly legit.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Damn right.

MANGOD

Banned
Incredibly enough, I got a refund from a guy I paid through friends and family.

I paid so low I wouldn't have cared anyway, but it's nice to see there are people who are able to recognize their mistakes.

Try pre-loading. If it acquires the license, you're good. If it doesn't, it's revoked.
Have the game downloaded and when trying to start it just says wait a minute you're to early to play this game....
Good to go?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

Most people had no idea about the Amazon glitch, they thought they were buying a legit promo code just like any other time there has been a bundled game. And the keys being revoked won't hurt any of the non eBay sellers, they'll keep the money they made, this only hurts the people who thought they were buying a legit key.

w0s

Bought a code from ebay and it still looks good to go.......
I bought a key on one of the first days and thought I was looking good until this morning. Good luck! On the plus side the seller just cancelled the auction so I didn't have to fight for a refund.

Well, before I'd even seen this thread the guy that sold me the key on eBay refunded my purchase without me even asking, so all in all, I'm not too fussed.

jrush64

Banned
If a gaffer who was very particular about me paying friends and family on Paypal refuses to refund me. I'm guessing there's nothing I can do?

Arkanius

Still waiting for BorntoPlay to respond. I remember asking him if the key was from the Amazon loophole and he said it wasn't. I asked him what we could do about this situation (refund or rolling back the unfair ban)

I'm still trusting him, I don't take GAF users for scammers, the keys at 7$ were clearly wrong, but 45$ was a normal price I paid for previous games and he didn't seem to have many keys to sell.

Not worried, and honestly, we all know there are risks associated with this type of transactions. We are all just bummed because usually NeoGAF is a safe haven and we protect each other.

Don Lapre

If a gaffer who was very particular about me paying friends and family on Paypal refuses to refund me. I'm guessing there's nothing I can do?

Don't ever use friends and family people. Especially if someone asks you too.

A seller should never ask you for friends and family. That is a huge red flag.

I wonder if we bought from the same person. He hasn't been on since I PM'd him, so hopefully not and I have no issue getting my money back. I'd hoped it was legit since I bought it before I knew about the glitch. But, nope.

Don't ever use friends and family people. Especially if someone asks you too.

A seller should never ask you for friends and family

Use it all the time on here. The majority of gaffers are trustworthy, as long as you check the feedback list. This is my first time having an issue.

Caayn

Only pay with friends and family when you know the person well enough. To prevent this. Pay the extra buck just in case this happens.

Still waiting for BorntoPlay to respond. I remember asking him if the key was from the Amazon loophole and he said it wasn't. I asked him what we could do about this situation (refund or rolling back the unfair ban)

I'm still trusting him, I don't take GAF users for scammers, the keys at 7$ were clearly wrong, but 45$ was a normal price I paid for previous games and he didn't seem to have many keys to sell.

Not worried, and honestly, we all know there are risks associated with this type of transactions. We are all just bummed because usually NeoGAF is a safe haven and we protect each other.

Yeah same seller for me. I hope everything will be alright and that he'll refund everyone. The worst case is that if i don't get a refund, i'll won't get enough money to get the game for a while :-/

(Used Friends & Family as well, like i always do on GAF :-/)

Top Bottom