• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 NVIDIA Error Promo Keys From Amazon Mass Revoked

BTP saying I will be refunded today with an apology.

Obviously going to wait until I have the money to clear his name but does seem legit hopefully.

So quick question here. Gears of War 4 is still showing in my library, tried to preload last night but I got error code 0x80073cf0 after downloading the 80gbs.

Now when I try to redownload it the download won't even start and I get the "Whoops something went wrong!" message. Is my key fucked? As far as I know the seller (a fellow GAFer) didnt buy from Amazon

Forsythia

This shouldn't surprise anyone. If someone legitimately bought the graphics card and sold the key everything is fine. But people were scamming Amazon for keys. And when you buy a key for $7 for a game that isn't even out yet, it's clear it's shady. Don't blame Amazon, NVIDIA or MS for this. Be glad revoking the key is all they do.

phant0m

Mine's revoked as well, bummer. Got my code off a guy on Reddit, surprisingly NOT one of the ones that deleted their account. just PM'd him to see if he'll refund me.

Used F&F on PayPal, so I suppose I'm out the $20 if he doesn't send it back.

Is there anywhere to get a standard edition play anywhere code for < $60? I really wish GCU applied to digital codes....

U2NUMB

I did not get a response about a refund from him.. he asked me to verify which I did and sent pics.. hope thats enough. If he did not get the keys from amazon I feel for him as well but I certainly hope those of us who are stuck now get refunds.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Damn. Guess I can't be surprised. Hopefully Smidget offers me a refund.

Thats who I got mine from.

Mine's revoked as well, bummer. Got my code off a guy on Reddit, surprisingly NOT one of the ones that deleted their account. just PM'd him to see if he'll refund me.

Used F&F on PayPal, so I suppose I'm out the $20 if he doesn't send it back.

Is there anywhere to get a standard edition play anywhere code for < $60? I really wish GCU applied to digital codes....

Could buy it digitally from the Singapore store for $50.

jediyoshi

The fact that they can just say "no you're not allowed to own this game anymore" and remove it from your account is pretty scary

How else would a digital service work? This has been the gaming reality for over a decade. Multiple console generations have passed with this being the case.

Allforce

Refunded as well by BornToPlay after a perfectly amicable discussion in PMs. Guy giving the B/S/T thread a good rep if you ask me.

I honestly believe he got caught in a wider net thanks to the Amazon scam happening. I'm guessing MS/NVIDIA revoked ALL codes just as a way to cover their bases rather than have to sift through the rubble of thousands of Amazon transactions.

BorntoPlay

I will give you a refund to anyone who got the code revoked from me, just PM me with the info...

Like i said to many of you, i'm working with a etail reseller, the codes dont come from the amazon glitch... but because there is no proof of purchasing i will go with the refund..

Sorry to everyone...

SoulUnison

Banned
Is that why my Gears code is invalid?
When I try to redeem it it tell me it's been "temporarily disabled" and I should "contact Customer Support."

I ordered an EVGA1070 from Amazon, but then there was a bundle with the motherboard I was getting anyway that shaved off 15 bucks, so I cancelled and ordered that before the first card had shipped.
I'm pretty sure the code was actually for ordering the first card - I never actually got one for the one I paid for and received.

mdsfx

I will give you a refund to anyone who got the code revoked from me, just PM me with the info...

Like i said to many of you, i'm working with a etail reseller, the codes dont come amazon glitch... but because there is no proof of purchasing i will go with the refund..

Sorry to everyone...
Props to this guy

fantomena

Like i said to many of you, i'm working with a etail reseller, the codes dont come amazon glitch... but because there is no proof of purchasing i will go with the refund..

Sorry to everyone...

Very good of you.

rdytoroll

Like i said to many of you, i'm working with a etail reseller, the codes dont come from the amazon glitch... but because there is no proof of purchasing i will go with the refund..

Sorry to everyone...

Thanks for updating us on the situation. Props to you

This shouldn't surprise anyone. If someone legitimately bought the graphics card and sold the key everything is fine. But people were scamming Amazon for keys. And when you buy a key for $7 for a game that isn't even out yet, it's clear it's shady. Don't blame Amazon, NVIDIA or MS for this. Be glad revoking the key is all they do.
LOL, what additional thing(s) could they do? Sue the people in possession of the keys because Amazon fucked up in how it distributed keys?

CrayToes

Sorry to everyone...

Good man.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I lucked out by getting a $20 Rise of the Tomb Raider code at launch

I lucked out by getting a $7 Far Cry Primal uPlay code a few months back

Even though I missed out, I lucked out by not getting a Gears 4 code since they all got revoked.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Refunded as well by BornToPlay after a perfectly amicable discussion in PMs. Guy giving the B/S/T thread a good rep if you ask me.

I honestly believe he got caught in a wider net thanks to the Amazon scam happening. I'm guessing MS/NVIDIA revoked ALL codes just as a way to cover their bases rather than have to sift through the rubble of thousands of Amazon transactions.

No. We know exactly which codes were obtained illegitimately. We have revoked only those.

oo7

No. We know exactly which codes were obtained illegitimately. We have revoked only those.

giphy.gif

How though?

How can you easily identify codes that were given to cancelled orders?

BornToPlay refunded me.

Not sure what I'm going to do now as paying £50 for a digital PC game is crazy. Shame a great game is priced so badly. I could get it at retail on X1 for nearly £15 cheaper.

Pure greed.

Sorry to everyone...

How does that work then?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

since those keys are now useless would you be able post them somewhere so people can check?

I feel bad for the people who paid $40+ that got scammed. Not so much for those paying $5. They knew.

enemy2k

Those expensive keys could have been legit though, which would justify the price. It's just that they seem to have revoked almost all of them, so those affected would have to have this sorted out by the seller.

That's true, didn't think of that.

Seen random people say that their personal codes from Amazon were revoked as well. Not sure why they would come around and just lie about it.

Anyone on here buy from Mentalgamerz on Reddit? He's since deleted his account, so I guess I'll see if I can get a refund thru PayPal, but I'm not holding my breath.

oo7

Well if peoples codes that got revoked happen to be legit I'm sure you can get it straighted out by release date tbh. Like I said before, bought my code off of ebay before it was a known glitch. Felt scummy about it afterwards. Got my refund and purchased the Ultimate Edition from Best Buy :) Feel much better by supporting a series I love.

Pez, do you happen to have a rough estimate on how many codes were scammed?

So were all the amazon keys revoked? I actually purchased a new video card from the site and I get the message that my key is temporarily disabled. I'm confused since the Coalition rep says they know what keys were revoked.

Sordid

So were all the amazon keys revoked? I actually purchased a new video card from the site and I get the message that my key is temporarily disabled. I'm confused since the Coalition rep says they know what keys were revoked.

Not all keys were revoked, apparently only illegitimate keys and no genuine ones. They're not going to admit to making any mistakes here though, best to e-mail Nvidia as per this post http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=218686478&postcount=1432

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
If you email NVIDIA with proof of purchase, they will hook you up.

Top Bottom