• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 NVIDIA Error Promo Keys From Amazon Mass Revoked

jrush64

Banned
Only pay with friends and family when you know the person well enough. To prevent this. Pay the extra buck just in case this happens.

I didn't know about goods and services, friends and family. I would have happily paid extra. He sold the key for $35.

I'd like to post his name, but let me wait a bit to see if he responds again.

@tunalove thanks.

U2NUMB

Damn it.. mine is revoked. Bought from Gaf BST thread and it was before the Amazon thing was known.. thought it was legit. Hope he responds to my PM. .. I got a friend to buy one from him as well, I thought they were legit codes.. ughhhh.. They were making a ton of money off this.

rdytoroll

Still waiting for ----- to respond. I remember asking him if the key was from the Amazon loophole and he said it wasn't. I asked him what we could do about this situation (refund or rolling back the unfair ban)

I'm still trusting him, I don't take GAF users for scammers, the keys at 7$ were clearly wrong, but 45$ was a normal price I paid for previous games and he didn't seem to have many keys to sell.

Not worried, and honestly, we all know there are risks associated with this type of transactions. We are all just bummed because usually NeoGAF is a safe haven and we protect each other.

Yeah same seller for me. I hope everything will be alright and that he'll refund everyone. The worst case is that if i don't get a refund, i'll won't get enough money to get the game for a while :-/

(Used Friends & Family as well, like i always do on GAF :-/)

Edit: Case closed

Yeah same seller for me. I hope everything will be alright and that he'll refund everyone. The worst case is that if i don't get a refund, i'll won't get enough money to get the game for a while :-/

Shit, same seller for me. Hopefully he comes through. Wonder how many he sold. Between this and all the drama going on in the BST thread, I hope we aren't nearing the end of that thread.

mcrommert

Banned
I don't get it, How did fake keys happen in the first place?

Also, I bought a 1070 card from Amazon and they key didn't work on nVidia's site. I was told to try later. So does this mean my key is revoked as well? I'm confused.

What is happening?
abtIZvF.gif
Talk to NVidia and show proof of purchase...they will reissue the key

suikodan

The person I bought the key from on GAF is telling me that he bought the key from someone else who got it from Amazon. He wouldnt be able to give me a refund until that person gives him a refund.

That's not my problem. I didn't buy it from whoever he got it from.

The person who sold me the key told me the same shit.

derExperte

We're fucked fam

Imo he's a rather shady dude, only seems to be here to beg for keys so him suddenly selling large amounts of Gears was a red flag and a sign of something weird happening. Of course I'll take that first part back and apologize in advance if he refunds everyone, you never know.

Problem is that some users bought the key without knowing what was going on.

I sure knew it and gambled on it. It didn't work, I'll live.

But hitting customers who just bought something from ebay isn't the way to make things right (hopefully buyer protection kicks in).

It's Amazon's fault. They should be taking the hit, not nvidia, not Ms, not the customers.

Amazon and of course - the real guilty - the scummy sellers who exploited it.

This way no one is happy, outside some scammers who got away with it.

Yeah I get that. I bought it pretty early on before the exploit became public so I thought it was legit. But when I found out that people were getting thousands of keys for free it became clear that this was a pretty shady situation.

I feel really bad for people who purchased keys in good faith and got screwed over, but at the same time I really can't get annoyed at a company taking measures against this very obvious exploit. Sure, they could have let people keep the game and earned some goodwill that way but they chose not to. Can't blame them for that.

Give it some time before people get named the news broke relatively early at least for in the EST.

The user named has been on a ton since the news broke. He was actually just on moments ago, or still on. No one is freaking out or attacking him. He refunds my money, it's no harm no foul. But, it's a tense situation at the moment.

Apparently just one.

The one of us who was smart enough not to send it as friends and family...

Arkanius

The user named has been on a ton since the news broke. He was actually just on moments ago, or still on. No one is freaking out or attacking him. He refunds my money, it's no harm no foul. But, it's a tense situation at the moment.

The one of us who was smart enough not to send it as friends and family...

There was a fee associated with my transfer ($2). How can I check if it was friends & family?
PayPal is different.

John Wick

Makes me really happy that the code I got from a Gaffer was a legit Amazon one that redeemed directly through the Win store rather than going through Nvidia hoops.

Free Fallout getting revoked was fine since it was, y'know, free. And then everyone got a 10 dollar credit, which was generous and Microsoft didn't need to do.

This is utter bullshit because Nvidia/Amazon are mad that those codes were sent before the GPUs get shipped(when these things are either packed in the box with the GPUs or emailed after they're shipped).

So someone trying to cut a deal, thinking they're getting a code off someone casting away their promo freebie, gets screwed. If you think this "shit ain't right", then don't send your god damn code before your product ships.

They got revoked for people who cancelled their GPU purchase but got the code. I remember people used to always preorder from Amazon especially when a code for a beta test or early access etc was given. After receiving the code they'd promptly cancel the game purchase. No company especially one as greedy as MS is ever gonna give free games away.

messiaen

I really don't understand the logic of getting mad at Microsoft. They didn't sell anyone a fake key. This is more Nvidia/Amazon's fault for not waiting till the card was shipped.

I got a refund. Bought before the Amazon fiasco was known or rather before I knew about it, at least. Can't say I'm surprised, these kinds of exploits aren't honored that often anymore.

I really don't understand the logic of getting mad at Microsoft. They didn't sell anyone a fake key. This is more Nvidia/Amazon's fault for not waiting till the card was shipped.

I got a refund. Bought before the Amazon fiasco was known or rather before I knew about it, at least. Can't say I'm surprised, these kinds of exploits aren't honored that often anymore.

Everyone should be mad at sellers and at Amazon.

They fucked up big time.

Ms should have just billed Amazon for the keys xD

horkrux

Yeah that's some bullshit. $45 to a fellow gaffer? Meh.

Those expensive keys could have been legit though, which would justify the price. It's just that they seem to have revoked almost all of them, so those affected would have to have this sorted out by the seller.

BornToPlay is online and replying now so I will update on what happens.

As long as I get my money back then no harm done as far as I'm concerned.

Those expensive keys could have been legit though, which would justify the price. It's just that they seem to have revoked almost all of them, so those affected would have to have this sorted out by the seller.
Yup, soon as I get home, I'll be working this out with nvidia, since I purchased it legitimately and sold the key when I got it, including the invoice for it. My 1070 box had a SN on the back of it, so when I'm done with work today, I'll finish it up.

I can understand the price for a legit key, but to sell a fake key for that price or any price is beyond me. To friends and friendly people, ruining for reputation for good?

That ain't worth it.

Bought one from BernardoOne on Gaf, messaged and maybe getting a refund. I told him I'd accept the amount minus the cost for him to refund the $35. I didn't know about the glitch/error on Amazon and thought I was buying a legit key as well. He seems like a good dude, feel bad about him likely taking a hit overall though :(

Arkanius

Bought one from BernardoOne on Gaf, messaged and maybe getting a refund. I told him I'd accept the amount minus the cost for him to refund the $35. I didn't know about the glitch/error on Amazon and thought I was buying a legit key as well. He seems like a good dude, feel bad about him likely taking a hit overall though :(

I've bought games from BernadoOne in the past, including Metal Gear Solid V which was also a Nvidia promotion code. Everything always worked out well.

This is blowing up with people that I didn't expect to as well. What a shit show.

Bernardo is a legit seller, I'm sure he'll take care of you.

Chris1

Yeah that's some bullshit. $45 to a fellow gaffer? Meh.

Any price of a scammed code to a fellow Gaffer (Anyone, really) is pretty sad. Not trying to take the moral high ground or anything because I got a code too from Amazon, but I'd never do it with the intentions of selling and potentially fucking other people over.

fantomena

I bought it from a GAF seller which plenty of other people also bought it from without knowing about the Amazon glitch until 2 days after (I think it was 2 days after, might be 1 day after). :(

Sendt him a PM.

GHG

Gold Member
Any price of a scammed code to a fellow Gaffer (Anyone, really) is pretty sad. Not trying to take the moral high ground or anything because I got a code too from Amazon, but I'd never do it with the intentions of selling and potentially fucking other people over.

People want to make money the easy way. That's the sad reality.

Another thing that is part of that reality is the fact that it often comes at a cost, as we are witnessing now.

deejay

I bought from him as well, and he said he was looking into getting a new working key, or a refund, but in any case it would be tomorrow (he wasn't at home at the moment, at least, that's what he said to me). I requested a refund as I'm not interested in a replacement key; I just want my money back and I'll then wait for a future deal.

I bought from him as well, and he said he was looking into getting a new working key, or a refund, but in any case it would be tomorrow (he wasn't at home at the moment, at least, that's what he said to me). I requested a refund as I'm not interested in a replacement key; I just want my money back and I'll then wait for a future deal.

Thanks for the info man, that's great to hear. Let's hope everything will be alright.

Chris1

People want to make money the easy way. That's the sad reality.

Another thing that is part of that reality is the fact that it often comes at a cost, as we are witnessing now.

My only hope is people do the right thing and issue refunds now. But I expect a few people to be cunts about it sadly. Hopefully nobody on GAF.

New002

This is where my head is at as well. Disappointing to see, but it's bound to happen wherever you go.

Sanjay

Buy 1070/1080 on Amazon > They email code on order instead of on shipping > Cancel order

I kinda expected it to get revoked but was hoping not, I just feel bad about people who legitimately paid for codes. RIP to anyone who paid with bitcoin, saw a few sellers wanting bitcoin only lol.

That is sketchy as hell and gaffers thought it would be fine selling such keys to other gaffers. Come on guys.

Arkanius

BornToPlay just replied to me saying that he is refunding me the full amount and said sorry for this whole situation. He reinforced that the keys don't come from the Amazon loophole and that they come from a Nvidia GPU reseller.

I'll say when I get my money back, and I'll leave Positive feedback on him again when it does. The guy seems legit.

fantomena

BornToPlay just replied to me saying that he is refunding me the full amount and said sorry for this whole situation. He reinforced that the keys don't come from the Amazon loophole and that they come from a Nvidia GPU reseller.

I'll say when I get my money back, and I'll leave Positive feedback on him again when it does. The guy seems legit.

Good to hear. Bought from the same person.

Top Bottom