• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "The Winds of Winter" ever coming out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurongel

I'd place money on 2018 but I honestly think he'll be dead before Spring gets released.

And if Spring ever does get released then I'll probably be dead before then anyway :lol

Mudcrab

I'm sure somebody will finish Winds, and then Spring. It just won't be George, hopefully the notes are detailed enough.

Salvadora

I'm done even thinking about it at this point, to be honest.

Can't muster excitement/hype for something that could realistically be multiple years away.

Litan

People are actually still waiting on this?
I've pretty much decided to pretend the show is an original work and the books never existed.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yes, but not before 2018 at the earliest. The final book will never see the light of day, though.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'd place money on 2018 but I honestly think he'll be dead before Spring gets released.

And if Spring ever does get released then I'll probably be dead before then anyway :lol

Will people stop joking about his health like that? When the fuck did this become acceptable? If it was anyone else you'd be vilified, but because it's George no one seems to bat an eye?

It's really, incredibly annoying and makes you seem so petty that someone dying is doing YOU a disservice. Sigh.

Hasn't George recently said that he isn't going to finish the book unless Trump wins the election?

Not really, but wouldn't that be some shit?

Eventually, I'm sure. But Dream of Spring? Who knows.

I definitely want to read but my expectations are low based on the last two books, some great parts in between a shit ton of slogging.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
When they come out, I hope they're materially and substantially different from the TV show. I'm talking a whole new ending, plot twists, etc.

Otherwise you're just basically waiting for the novelization of something you already know.

n9lBKv8.jpg

Kerned

Banned
It'll come out, but almost certainly not this year. When it does, it will probably be a rambling mess to some extent, just like the last two books. The final book will never be released, I doubt even George believes he will complete it.

The show will be the only resolution we ever get, and I'm fine with that.

I have kinda made my peace with the fact that it will take years and there is a good chance it will be finished by someone else.

I do laugh at my friend who wont watch the TV series because he is waiting for the book series to finish.

Salvadora

Are you guys planning on re-reading the series when TWOW (eventually) releases?

I've basically forgotten the finer details given that I last read it in 2011, but I'd be worried about burnout given you'd be reading 6 books.

Although this may be pointless concern if we are waiting another half decade.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Eventually, I'm sure. But Dream of Spring? Who knows.

I definitely want to read but my expectations are low based on the last two books, some great parts in between a shit ton of slogging.

You can just feel this lumbering beast of a story getting away from him in the last two books.

It's still good writing, mind you, but it makes the pace of the first book seem blazing fast in comparison.

Kerned

Banned
Are you guys planning on re-reading the series when TWOW (eventually) releases?

I've basically forgotten the finer details given that I last read it in 2011, but I'd be worried about burnout given you'd be reading 6 books.

Although this may be pointless concern if we are waiting another half decade.

No way am I trudging through Feast and Dance again.

Randdalf

No way am I trudging through Feast and Dance again.

I feel those books are actually better if you read each chapter more slowly and "take it in," as it were. Well, except the endless Jon and Dany chapters which all feel exactly the same.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Depends. What's George up to right now?

tumblr_nypr061wpU1qz8rwfo4_500.gif

George RR Martin has written more about the NFL that he has written for the Winds of Winter.

It's never happening. He's done. Even if you assumed he was writing at the same slothful pace he did for ADwD he wouldn't be slated to finished TWoW until 2022.

On April 6th of next year the wait for TWoW will surpass the wait for ADwD.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I feel those books are actually better if you read each chapter more slowly and "take it in," as it were. Well, except the endless Jon and Dany chapters which all feel exactly the same.

What's really jarring is to read Feast/Dance then circle back and start reading GoT again.

The change in pacing will give you whiplash and really drive home how much of a slog Feast and Dance are.

Eidan

I wish PhoenixDark wasn't banned. I swear I made an avatar bet with him that we wouldn't see Winds of Winter in 2016. I can't remember if I ever extended it to 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom