• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "The Winds of Winter" ever coming out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I have a bet with a friend of mine that The Last Guardian will come out before Winds of Winter.

I am feeling pretty good about that bet. Looked bad for a while though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The real question is will it be any good when it does come out. Personally I thought he fell off big time after the third book. Still great moments scattered through out but so much stuff that feels superfluous and so many characters that just spin their wheels for hundreds of pages at a time.

Are you guys planning on re-reading the series when TWOW (eventually) releases?

I've basically forgotten the finer details given that I last read it in 2011, but I'd be worried about burnout given you'd be reading 6 books.

Although this may be pointless concern if we are waiting another half decade.

Yeah, I'm going to plan a reread whenever Winds of Winter gets announced. Only read the through Feast and Dance once. Next time Ill do that leatherbound something read through, that rearranges the chapters in chronological order, so that Feasts and Dance basically read like one big book. Sounds like fun.

Right now I'm not even thinking about AsoIaF. Enough other fantasy series out there. I want the next Stormlight Archive book almost as much as I want WoW.

In like seven months I'll have written three books in less time it'll have taken George to do Winds.

I work full time.

Granted, I'm not as good nor are my stories as complicated, but shit man.

That all being said, I'm holding out hope for like mid 2017. YOU CAN DO IT GEORGE I B'LIEVE IN YOU

Will people stop joking about his health like that? When the fuck did this become acceptable? If it was anyone else you'd be vilified, but because it's George no one seems to bat an eye?

It's really, incredibly annoying and makes you seem so petty that someone dying is doing YOU a disservice. Sigh.
It's not a joke.Dude is almost 70 and far from the picture of health

Really the issue is he sees writing as a burden. He doesn't want to finish the books

Really though he needs to drop the side projects, just smash them out and enjoy his retirement. It's not good for him to spend another 10 years under the pressure of writing

Randdalf

It's not a joke.Dude is almost 70 and far from the picture of health

Really the issue is he sees writing as a burden. He doesn't want to finish the books

Really though he needs to drop the side projects, just smash them out and enjoy his retirement. It's not good for him to spend another 10 years under the pressure of writing

What? I feel as though you're kind of projecting here.

jamsy

Does anyone even care all that much at this point?

The last two books were pretty awful. Especially the last book. Fuck, we went from a half dozen POVs in the first 3 books to like 40 underdeveloped POVs in Dance. It was like every chapter was a new POV. Terrible terrible idea.

I am kinda over it at this point. Season 5 and 6 has probably already covered much of what TWOW will cover, plus the show itself will be finished within a few years.

jett

D-Member
I wonder if GRRM's deal is just procrastination or if he's creatively blocked/plainly uninterested with the series. I imagine the realization that the HBO show would finish his story before him must be a bit depressing.

Are you guys planning on re-reading the series when TWOW (eventually) releases?

I've basically forgotten the finer details given that I last read it in 2011, but I'd be worried about burnout given you'd be reading 6 books.

Although this may be pointless concern if we are waiting another half decade.

This is where I'm at, too. I hardly remember anything from these books, but I don't think I can muster up the will to re-read all five books in preparation for the sixth. I'm just not THAT much of a fan.

GRRM just needs to release cliffnotes on the future of the series. It's really the only thing I need.

- Jon comes back to life. Is Azor Ahai
- Dany finally comes to Westeros. Fights the Others with Jon
- New age of peace in Westeros

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

The last two books were pretty awful. Especially the last book. Fuck, we went from a half dozen POVs in the first 3 books to like 40 underdeveloped POVs in Dance. It was like every chapter was a new POV. Terrible terrible idea.

Eh, I liked the idea of fleshing the world more through these secondary characters. I even think it's charming the way he doesn't properly name them in the chapter titles. The last two books work just fine as a transition between the huge mess in Storm and whatever comes afterwards.

But I only started reading the series the year Dance was released, so I didn't have to actually wait so long for those books to come out. Maybe my perception is different from most of the fanbase's because of that.

Syder

Don't care when it comes out, after reading through the series twice, I've decided I'm not touching The Winds of Winter until A Dream of Spring is out as well. Avoid spoilers best I can
although probably not
, and then lock myself away and read Winds & Dream as quickly as possible.

My only hope is that it's like what you have to do when you clean a room, make it messier before cleaning it all up.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
I really think the man just lost his drive. It can be argued that he peaked with A Storm of Swords, and that was nearly 20 years ago.

I used to be bitter about his foot dragging, but I can't blame him anymore. It's just hard to maintain that level of focus and passion across that timespan at that age.

HStallion

Might I recommend Berserk for any fans of dark fantasy material in a midevil Europe inspired world. It will sooth the pain while waiting for the next book...

;D

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I wonder if GRRM's deal is just procrastination or if he's creatively blocked/plainly uninterested with the series. I imagine the realization that the HBO show would finish his story before him must be a bit depressing.

I think he got majorly sidetracked by the explosion in popularity the series received then got bogged down in his own universe. Between that, conventions and speaking events, side projects, and football season the rest of the books never stood a chance.

jfkgoblue

People aren't joking about his health, just stating that there is a good chance he will not live long enough to finish it. It's a valid point, that you have to consider.

I think he didn't realize the shit he got himself into when he was writing the first 3 books, and because he is obsessingly detailed he is at a loss to finish it.

But we can always hope.

People aren't joking about his health, just stating that there is a good chance he will not live long enough to finish it. It's a valid point, that you have to consider.

I think he didn't realize the shit he got himself into when he was writing the first 3 books, and because he is obsessingly detailed he is at a loss to finish it.

But we can always hope.

Are you his doctor? What is his blood pressure? What's his cholesterol like?

Aiii

So not worth it
I really think the man just lost his drive. It can be argued that he peaked with A Storm of Swords, and that was nearly 20 years ago.

I used to be bitter about his foot dragging, but I can't blame him anymore. It's just hard to maintain that level of focus and passion across that timespan at that age.

All signs seem to point to him burning out after book 4 and losing interest in the whole thing. That is fine, he certainly has the age and enough money to retire comfortably, but it is a shame that what could have been the greatest fantasy series of all time just fizzles out like this.

Ploid 3.0

The final character that's killed by GRRM will be this book, the ultimate death. Then he and Gabe will compare fans anguish.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
If I read one word a day, I will get through the entire series again around the same time that the next one comes out.

1,770,000 days = 4849.3 years, which means the next book will be out by 6866

wrowa

I'm sure somebody will finish Winds, and then Spring. It just won't be George, hopefully the notes are detailed enough.

Brandon Sanderson will write both Winds and Spring from scratch. Afterwards he'll release a four part prequel series.

And all of these books will release in the same year. ;p

jett

D-Member
Can't wait till the meltdowns when A Dream of Spring is split into two books.

Anyone expecting the series to finish in two more books is naive as hell.

I think he got majorly sidetracked by the explosion in popularity the series received then got bogged down in his own universe. Between that, conventions and speaking events, side projects, and football season the rest of the books never stood a chance.

You could say that and yet that happened after 2011, and by then he was already a known slow-ass writer, taking five years to write AFFC and six for ADWD.

jfkgoblue

I don't know, but that's kinda the point, we can only use what we do know, and that is people start to go in their 70's, and being overweight is a pretty good sign of poor health. But you're right I don't know those things, but that doesn't necessarily make it that we can't think about the possibility given his writing speed. How many people regardless of health, would be able to maintain that workload into their 80's?

HStallion

Anyone expecting the series to finish in two more books is naive as hell.

He has basically said he has enough material in his head for an 8th book. I mean seriously we have barely seen the White Walkers or even the Wights in the books.

Dec

I bought a launch day hard cover of Dance and really disliked that book. I don't think I'll read any more of his stuff.

Might I recommend Berserk for any fans of dark fantasy material in a midevil Europe inspired world. It will sooth the pain while waiting for the next book...

;D

Berserk is honestly looking like it'll finish before ASOIF.

it depends if they get on another boat.......

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child.

Then the next book will be published, and not before.

wrowa

You don't need to be a doctor in order to know that there's a real chance that someone might die in their mid-seventies. No one wishes for that to happen and it must be quite awful for GRRM to read about people speculating about his death, but it's not like this worry comes from nowhere.

jfkgoblue

I bought a launch day hard cover of Dance and really disliked that book. I don't think I'll read any more of his stuff.
I didn't mind Dance, I disliked Feast for the most part though, especially the fairly useless Brienne chapters that could have been consdensed into 1-2 chapters and not have missed anything...

I was so tired of "A highborn maid of three and ten"
Speaking of boats, what's the Gendry rowing forever situation like in the books?
Never happened

HStallion

Speaking of boats, what's the Gendry rowing forever situation like in the books?

There are several situations where characters are just fucking about. I mean they get things done but in the overall scheme of things a lot of them feel like they haven't made any forward progress in like 2000 pages worth of material. I will say Martin turning Jaime around is the one thing that really keeps me reading. I can't believe how concerned I am about that fucking guy at this point. Brave Martin.

Salvadora

Can't wait till the meltdowns when A Dream of Spring is split into two books.
I wouldn't melt down if it was a genuine creative decision.

I thought they mishandled editing for ADWD by effectively removing the climax at Mereen and Winterfell.

This felt seriously anticlimactic at the time and my opinion has only worsened given the (so far) 5 year wait for the conclusion.

TheXbox

Not this year. The AGOT 20th anniversary release is their annual publishing release this year. They had Dunk and Egg last year, AWOIAF before that.

Maybe late next year. Maybe never. I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never read ADOS, and the ending to this series will be revealed to me on a tabloid cover at the grocery store.

Eh, I liked the idea of fleshing the world more through these secondary characters. I even think it's charming the way he doesn't properly name them in the chapter titles. The last two books work just fine as a transition between the huge mess in Storm and whatever comes afterwards.

But I only started reading the series the year Dance was released, so I didn't have to actually wait so long for those books to come out. Maybe my perception is different from most of the fanbase's because of that.
I'm in the same boat as you. Dance's pace was a bit grating, but I enjoyed them both overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom