• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 is now up for preload on PC

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I am beyond pissed man. Twice now I've had it get stuck on 37gb and I've had to restart the DL because it became stuck. Now it's stuck at 14gb for the past hour. Feels fucking hopeless and my early access time is going to waste. Fuck this shit.

abracadaver

I'm giving up

This fucking shit does not work at all. Dont want to waste my time with this any longer.

Calling support tomorrow to get my money back

Lan Dong Mik

I'm giving up

This fucking shit does not work at all. Dont want to waste my time with this any longer.

Calling support tomorrow to get my money back

I'm almost at this point too. Now I'm just getting "Something Went Wrong On Our End" error. Yeah no shit!!!! The thing that is killing me is that it really seems to be an amazing port from the responses in the performance thread, and I'm sitting here trying everything I can just to download the fucking thing. This shit has me so pissed I can't stand it. They REALLY need to come up with an alternative way to download games from them, because this is a fucking broken embarrassing mess and it makes me want to never purchase another thing from them.

dLMN8R

If your download finished, and then you're getting specifically 80070490 during install, try the following:

1) Create a new guest account on your PC
2) Log into that guest account
3) Log out of and then delete that guest account
4) Try the install again on your main account

I've read some other people say that fixed it for them, maybe it'll work for you too?

Qassim

Anyone who cant install after downloading - this worked for me providing you have the files on your HDD

run Powershell in admin mode and type:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

It got past the 0x800 error and it is now installed ready to go.. not a bloody easy ride people.

Nice one. This worked for me :)

Side note: This store sux.

Anyone who cant install after downloading - this worked for me providing you have the files on your HDD

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

It got past the 0x800 error and it is now installed ready to go.. not a bloody easy ride people.
AMAZING. Worked for me!

And what in the fuck. Why is Microsoft having problems with this? They really want to operate a digital storefront leveraging their strong position among operating systems and it sucks this badly?

Finally got my key but it won't download. Have the same "something went wrong on our end" error.

From looking at the thread I guess there's no fix so far.

edit: Windows says fully up to date too.

edit 2: Kept trying, seems to be working now

Lan Dong Mik

Finally got my key but it won't download. Have the same "something went wrong on our end" error.

From looking at the thread I guess there's no fix so far.

edit: Windows says fully up to date too.

I got it to start downloading again, but who knows how long it'll last before it just randomly stops downloading out of nowhere.

MaLDo

I had the 'error in our end' days ago.

Applied fixes and wsreset and finally download started.

After 10 GB downloaded I had to stop the computer.

When tried to resume, it started from scratch again, but after 20 GB the total changed from 85 GB to 75 GB.

I need a full 24 hr day to reach 65 GB and then it stopped by itself. Nothing. Full reset of the computer and then it started AGAIN from scratch.

When it reached 20 mb the total changed from 75 GB to 54 MB. Then at 54 MB/54 MB, it stopped again and now I have the store in "not responding" state.

I will say again and maybe last time, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT MICROSOFT?!

(I have anniversary update with last patches applied)

Lan Dong Mik

Yeah seriously two days of trying to get this fucking thing to download. I reallllly don't wanna be the guy that has to request another refund. I got a refund for Forza 3 yesterday because the port is fucked, and now this port seems to be amazing, and it won't download. I want to support the team that made this PC port ffs!!!!

My download is stuck at 1gb lol! It's fucking comical at this point. Going out tonight, gonna see if it downloads while I'm gone and hopefully come home to a nice surprise.

leng jai

How daft is it that people have to get refunds on a perfectly fine game simply because they can't actually download the actual game on a store integrated into their OS?

dLMN8R

Hi everyone, if you were having a problem downloading Gears where your download just mysteriously stopped at a certain point and never made progress after that, you might want to try your download again now.

It turns out there was some corrupted blocks which made their way to some of the download servers, and the nature of the problem resulted in the download just not making progress, instead of failing entirely.

abracadaver

Hi everyone, if you were having a problem downloading Gears where your download just mysteriously stopped at a certain point and never made progress after that, you might want to try your download again now.

It turns out there was some corrupted blocks which made their way to some of the download servers, and the nature of the problem resulted in the download just not making progress, instead of failing entirely.

Where did you get that info?

dLMN8R

he works for the store team at msft

Yep, there are still other errors people are actively working through and no one's happy with the situation, but in the meantime we're hoping that this one particular issue (the download just freezing and not making progress even after waiting for hours) will be resolved by now.

tuna_love

Banned
Yep, there are still other errors people are actively working through and no one's happy with the situation, but in the meantime we're hoping that this one particular issue (the download just freezing and not making progress even after waiting for hours) will be resolved by now.
can you tell the good people at Microsoft to be able to remap screenshot button to a single key input? preferably f23?

Well, I finally managed to download it. Only took six tries I think. Probably downloaded over 200GB before I managed to get it.

I have to say that it's quite remarkable for a company like MS to manage to make such a garbage downloader/client in 2016. Steam, Origin and uPlay, GOG Galaxy and so on, have never managed to be this bad. GFWL was really bad, but MS learned absolutely nothing from it and somehow managed to make something worse.

BajiBoxer

Banned
My download is stuck. Says 73.54GB of 73.54GB downloaded, but the bar is only half filled, and there is a folder "GearsGame" that is only at 38.9GB. Microsoft... why can't you figure out downloading on your own operating system? Why? :-(

bbd23

the thing that bugs me the most about the store is I can't see how fast my download speed is. its quite triggering

leaving my download overnight. I cancelled it once early but things seem to be downloading just fine.

fingers crossed...

MiguelItUp

Yeah, this is really frustrating. Last night I got to 30 something GBs and it just stopped completely. Today it goes to 47MB and just stops. I guess I'll give up for tonight, it's apparent it's not going to download correctly. :(

Was able to get it to download and install the first time, but then the Xbox app wouldn't let me sign in on my current profile. I tried everything to fix it, but the only way I could sign in was by creating a new account on my computer, after which I could sign in to the Xbox app. Sadly, it seems the game on the other OS account wasn't accessible on the new account.

Now, I'm having problems with the download getting stuck after a few hours. I'm about to try my fourth attempt. If that doesn't work, I'm getting a refund. So ridiculous. :(

Edit: Two more attempts at getting the download to proceed. Keeps stopping after some arbitrary point in the download. Man, I'm freaking livid.

FaintDeftone

I have the game preloaded on my Xbox One but I can't even get the download started on PC due to the same errors you guys are mentioning. Hopefully they get their shit together by Tuesday cause I wanted to primarily play this on PC.

Vic_Viper

Can I download this to an external hard drive on my laptop at work and then transfer it to my C drive on my home PC?

I have much faster speeds at work and dont want to loose the 70 gigs on my dl cap lol.

Jack John

I actually had the game working and decided to delete it and reinstall it on my SSD. Now I keep getting an error at the very end of the download over and over. Now I see a lot of people share similar problems. I'm kicking myself right now for deleting it in the first place.

Jack John

I'm getting an error at the very end of the download--- after downloading 73 gb. Will this fix it?

Qassim

I'm getting an error at the very end of the download--- after downloading 73 gb. Will this fix it?

I was in the exact same situation, it fixed it for me. No harm in giving it a go. (FWIW it won't show as installed straight away if you still have the download page open on the Windows store, after the script has finished running, just go to your start menu and find the game itself and start it).

Jack John

I was in the exact same situation, it fixed it for me. No harm in giving it a go. (FWIW it won't show as installed straight away if you still have the download page open on the Windows store, after the script has finished running, just go to your start menu and find the game itself and start it).

The problem for me is that once the thing errors, it deletes the 70 something gb it just downloaded...

I'm pulling out my hair here. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a 70 gb download that I have now done three times.

Detox

The problem for me is that once the thing errors, it deletes the 70 something gb it just downloaded...

I'm pulling out my hair here. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a 70 gb download that I have now done three times.
Are you downloading using a download manager or through the store?

Nvm you fixed it

Is there some way you can download the game other than the store?

Download got to 65 gigs and then didn't continue. That was, like, my sixth attempt. I've since gone back on my word and reinstalled Windows and got all updates -- nothing else running on the computer -- and tried all the tricks listed here and in other places.

I'm getting so incredibly fed up with this shit. I know I should just drop it and get a refund, but I've invested so much time in trying to get this sorted that I'm having a hard time letting it go.

I can say this for certain, this will be the last thing I ever buy from the windows store.

Detox

Is there some way you can download the game other than the store?

Download got to 65 gigs and then didn't continue. That was, like, my sixth attempt. I've since gone back on my word and reinstalled Windows and got all updates -- nothing else running on the computer -- and tried all the tricks listed here and in other places.

I'm getting so incredibly fed up with this shit. I know I should just drop it and get a refund, but I've invested so much time in trying to get this sorted that I'm having a hard time letting it go.

I can say this for certain, this will be the last thing I ever buy from the windows store.
https://m.reddit.com/r/halo/comment..._forge/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

Don't pause your download, your download ticket will still time out.

At this point ms should put out an official torrent. The store, the lynchpin for Nadella's strategy for Xbox wasn't designed to sell games or apps with large file sizes.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Thanks for that. The problem is that the game will not allow me to start the download now, this is after 'uninstalling' the game, removing all cached download files etc etc...

What i'm after is the actual URL of the gears file, the .EAppx file so that I can download it through a download manager and install it via powershell.

Not sure if you got it working yet, but to get the url you can use fiddler. When you have fiddler you can get the url, copy the url, and put it into your download manager. I'm trying that method right now, about 70% through my download so far.

Instructions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/forza/comments/54coxq/fh3_redownloading_fix_pc/

Previously, it errored out for me when the file hit the 72GB mark just going through the Windows store after doing the cache reset and everything else :p

Werd

Finally, thank you. Went to do this and my download was gone again, so had to go with my 4th full download (~300 gb + 50 on XB1...) but this did at long last fix the error.

Detox

Yeah this helped thank you very much. What's the story with this anniversary update, i'm up to date on updates but is this separate?
I think there's a newer (than anniversary) update that fixes some issues with their download servers. Details are in the op.

NG28

I always get about 20-40gb downloaded and then it just stops. Guess I'll have to download it with that fiddler workaround. Googling the issue it appears this has been happening as far back as Gears 1 Ultimate Edition, so I don't expect it to get fixed anytime soon.

deejay

Yeah, had the same thing happen. It annoyed the shit out of me. The Fiddler thing seems to have done the trick though (still cautious until it's actually running).

Well, I finally managed to download it. Only took six tries I think. Probably downloaded over 200GB before I managed to get it.

I have to say that it's quite remarkable for a company like MS to manage to make such a garbage downloader/client in 2016. Steam, Origin and uPlay, GOG Galaxy and so on, have never managed to be this bad. GFWL was really bad, but MS learned absolutely nothing from it and somehow managed to make something worse.

I won't be buying another game from the store until significant improvements have been made. I don't care how good the game supposedly is, I will not support such shit service.

Vic_Viper

Anyone know of it's possible to download it on my laptop to an external HDD and then transfer it to my home PC? Both are using the same account and have the Anni update. Don't want to start the download until I know if it'll work/how to do it.

Top Bottom