• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 is now up for preload on PC

FireRises

I uninstalled and started the download again,

dlmwlna.png

hoping I can get through it without error.

edit: it was successful, I'm playing now :)

Thaedolus

Played through the first few chapters tonight, how is this game performing so much better than GoW Ultimate Edition? It seems pretty flawless in comparison to that stuttering bullshit

Bsigg12

Played through the first few chapters tonight, how is this game performing so much better than GoW Ultimate Edition? It seems pretty flawless in comparison to that stuttering bullshit

Built from the beginning with PC in mind and it's a UE4 game not some butchered ass UE3 mess like UE.

RedSwirl

Jesus. After everything I'm reading here and in other threads I don't think I can justify dropping $59.99 on Gears 4 just to roll the dice and see if I'll be able to install it. Not to mention I have a data cap. Guess I won't ever be playing it unless 1) I decide it and Halo are enough for me to buy an Xbox One or 2) Microsoft gives up and releases the game on Steam.

I haven't actually tried to download a full Windows 10 game though. At some point after I get my Xbox One controller replace (drifting issue) I'll probably try to download Forza Apex just to see how the system works and to finally see what the hell Forza is all about.

It sounds to me like this store is still mostly built for handling 50MB tablet apps and not 80GB games. Steam just announced they're potentially letting you use PlayStation controllers for all its games while Microsoft is still trying to get its store to install games properly. Installing games properly was the FIRST thing Valve worked on with Steam, and that really reveals the difference here. From the beginning the purpose of Steam was to make PC gaming smoother while keeping it open. It may not have perfectly achieved that on day one, but that's what the goal has been since day one. Origin, UPlay, and the Windows Store just exist to get consumers to buy a few games that are locked into their platforms. Valve built Steam as an installer and patcher first and built everything else around that. I feel like the others went in the opposite direction, building the store first to get people to buy games and worrying about properly installing the games later. Origin and UPlay have at least gotten to a point where they work as advertised.

I'll admit a good purpose behind W10 was linking things together for people who play on Xbox and PC, but that sounds like more of a benefit to Xbox users than PC users.

dr_rus

GearsUE runs pretty much flawless on my PC, and that's with 4K supersampling while in Gears4 I can't go higher than native 2560x1600 res if I want to keep it at 60. So - no idea what you're talking about.

EvB

I'll admit a good purpose behind W10 was linking things together for people who play on Xbox and PC, but that sounds like more of a benefit to Xbox users than PC users.

erm... I'm not sure what you are trying to say. It's only a ben fit to you if you own a PC capable of using it and an Xbox.

Xbudz

So apparently even the most recent insider build of Windows 10 can't play Gears of War 4.
This is now 3 insider builds that simply won't allow the game to launch,

Insider program has been fine until these bigger games have started coming out.

Latest update notes: "Larger Windows Store games such as ReCore, Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, Killer Instinct and Rise of the Tomb Raider may fail to launch."

So now I need to reinstall everything on my PC just to play the damn game.
My fault I guess for going along with this insider crap.

So apparently even the most recent insider build of Windows 10 can't play Gears of War 4.
This is now 3 insider builds that simply won't allow the game to launch,

Insider program has been fine until these bigger games have started coming out.

Latest update notes: "Larger Windows Store games such as ReCore, Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, Killer Instinct and Rise of the Tomb Raider may fail to launch."

So now I need to reinstall everything on my PC just to play the damn game.
My fault I guess for going along with this insider crap.
In this post: A beta version of an operation system is crap because it's still in testing phase. Nevermind that you totally know that the insider program is specifically to test new build, you still go ahead and call it crap.

Jesus Christ.

outsidah

In this post: A beta version of an operation system is crap because it's still in testing phase. Nevermind that you totally know that the insider program is specifically to test new build, you still go ahead and call it crap.

Jesus Christ.

Don't worry, the standard version of Windows 10 still sucks at running Windows Store games as well!

Thaedolus

GearsUE runs pretty much flawless on my PC, and that's with 4K supersampling while in Gears4 I can't go higher than native 2560x1600 res if I want to keep it at 60. So - no idea what you're talking about.

Eh I'm not sure why, but gsync seemed wonky, and it would sometimes just stop and chug along at literally 1FPS until it caught back up or something. This was just this past week too, so I'm sure I'm up to date on whatever patches. It'd go from 90FPS to 1, back to 60. i72600k with 8GB of RAM maybe is too shitty? I'm playing at 1440p.

No such issues with GoW4. I just got to the third act and it runs like butter.

Xbudz

Jesus Christ.

In this reply: Anyone who expresses frustration over technical problems with a beta OS is an idiot. Thanks for that.

Just to clarify, just about every Windows 10 insider update I've ever used has been great. I'm just surprised that the recent ones seem to be causing so many issues with their biggest games. No worries though, I'm just going to revert back to Anniversary and stick with stable builds.

dr_rus

Eh I'm not sure why, but gsync seemed wonky, and it would sometimes just stop and chug along at literally 1FPS until it caught back up or something. This was just this past week too, so I'm sure I'm up to date on whatever patches. It'd go from 90FPS to 1, back to 60. i72600k with 8GB of RAM maybe is too shitty? I'm playing at 1440p.

No such issues with GoW4. I just got to the third act and it runs like butter.

What GPU? Doubt that it's a RAM issue, more possible to be something along the lines of power saving features interfering.

Vic_Viper

So I finally got the EAppx file downloaded with Ninja download manager and im trying to install it with Powershell but at about half way I get an error regarding the windows store.

PS C:\Win 10 Store> add-appxpackage gears4.EAppx
add-appxpackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80080207, The computed hash value of the block does not match th
one stored in the block map.
Deployment Add operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.SpartaUWP_9.2.0.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe from:
(gears4.EAppx) failed with error 0x80080207. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 for help diagnosing
app deployment issues.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] e2338e4c-28bf-0001-829a-33e2bf28d201 in the Event Log or use
the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID e2338e4c-28bf-0001-829a-33e2bf28d201
At line:1 char:1
+ add-appxpackage gears4.EAppx
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (C:\Win 10 Store\gears4.EAppx:String) [Add-AppxPackage], Exception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Seems like a common problem for people on Reddit. Anyone here know how to fix it? Im trying a few tips I found on there, but I was wondering if anyone here was able to find a solution more recently that seems to work.

The Flash

Banned
So I got a GTX 1070 today and it came with a Gears 4 code but I'm in the Insider Preview and I've heard that there'll be problems because of that. Is there a way to get out of the Preview and revert back to "released" build of W10?

Top Bottom