• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Mafia |OT| Keep Your Vote On The Payload

There are like 500 bajillion ways you could separate town from mafia besides if you're in TALON or no, because many characters share things

franconp

Oh you and me are going to get along very well. ¬_¬

So seeing as I don't know you, what you think of the conversation so far?

Not much yet as most of the post are just small talk. There isn't much to analyze from them.

If you want to get an opinion out of me: My main concern at this point are the roleclaims. I think that, in a normal game, discussion is the best way to get reading in people later in the game. But this is not a regular game and I hope that we don't shoot our own foot forcing a big role to claim too early in the game.

Sophia

Not much yet as most of the post are just small talk. There isn't much to analyze from them.

If you want to get an opinion out of me: My main concern at this point are the roleclaims. I think that, in a normal game, discussion is the best way to get reading in people later in the game. But this is not a regular game and I hope that we don't shoot our own foot forcing a big role to claim too early in the game.

I was actually more poking for a reaction. Although I do find it interesting that you provided an unsolicited opinion rather than asking me a question. :D

Right now, what sticks out to me is the speculation on flavor. That was a big thing in Pokemon that derailed town a bit, so I'm keeping an eye on it here too.

Ty4on

Really tho? You think Burb acting townie is indicative of anything?
It's early game, but it didn't seem like a look good post. Seemed to be an eagerness to read people.

I didn't do much rereading of Pokemon, but from memory I remember how long scum's posts where for the most part and how they jumped on the fluff train early game. I decided to look much harder for the motivation of posts in this game.

Ty4on

VOTE: Haly

不。。。
I can't write Chinese...

You've posted, but they're so empty. Do you have any opinions? On anything?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm drunk with power and want to force a mass role name claim to get everyone to shit their pants.

Mercy is obviously doctor.
Widowmaker would make for a nice curveball, you'd think she'd be scum but she could be a vigilante (sniper) or even a cop (wallhax ult).
Genji's power either has to do with his ult or his mobility. Ninja? Ascetic?

I haven't gone through the rest of the heroes yet but I can come up with probable roles for any of their kits really.

franconp

Now I kinda wanted to read how that game went but I remembed how i got bored when someone (I truly don't remember who) started posting wall of text analyzing how someone was inactive but was lurking through his last login that I won't.

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm drunk with power and want to force a mass role name claim to get everyone to shit their pants.

Widowmaker would make for a nice curveball, you'd think she'd be scum but she could be a vigilante (sniper) or even a cop (wallhax ult).

I haven't gone through the rest of the heroes yet but I can come up with probable roles for any of their kits really.
I'd be careful, because while I said my role made sense given the hero, the actual ability is definitely something Sorian came up with.

Bronx-Man

Banned

If anyone's a cop, wouldn't it most likely be 76?

Ourobolus

Banned
Vote: Verelios

I was debating voting for him for posting nothing but fluff, but I wasn't expecting him to try to capitalize on my "clarification," so that helped me make up my mind.

Verelios

I'd be careful, because while I said my role made sense given the hero, the actual ability is definitely something Sorian came up with.

That was worded weird.
The basic gist of the ability is lore-friendly, but in practice it's been Sorian'd.
Your 'clarification' is textbook track covering in case you're under fire later in the game, and if that's not so please state otherwise.
maxresdefault.jpg

I posted the summary in scum chat for you to peruse later
If I wanted low hanging fruit I'd say something about this, which could be or isn't confirmation, but I took as fluff.

Ourobolus

Banned
It's not covering my tracks. I said "role" and "hero" in the same sentence, which I then realized didn't make sense (since they are one and the same), so I fixed it.

Burbeting

Banned

How is Power Role speculation/mass claim going to possibly help town at this early part of the game?

Burbeting

Banned
Stay away as in do not eat me, funny as in 1st town game after four scum games - dies on 1st day.

Something bothers me about this post. My note on Kyan's tone was just that... a small note. But he then goes out his was to explain his words even more clearly. Hmmh.

Sawneeks

Banned
Not so much. I don't even know how the Danganronpa game ended.

If you do end up reading the ending, I apologize for past-sawneek's actions.

She was dumb and listened to the Lucky Buddies and helped throw the game.

still better than a Despair victory tho :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How is Power Role speculation/mass claim going to possibly help town at this early part of the game?

Well, to be honest, I'm not sure if any GAF game has used the mass claim technique yet so I wanted to see it in action.

If I had to be analytic about it, the reason why early claims are super risky in normal games is because the ratio of power town to vanilla town is low. A loss of a Cop, say, or a Doctor, on D1 is felt more keenly by the balance of the game. (Although I'd like to mention that D1 Doctor kills are something of a running joke now in GAFia? And it doesn't seem to matter much in terms of fation win rates).

But in a role madness game, where every one has powers, there's much lower risk of a "catastrophic misfire". When every person is guaranteed to have an ability, how much can it really matter to keep things under wraps? At the very least, it's going to be much more interesting to talk about than the usual huming and hawing for 2 days, until people scramble their votes in the last 5 hours.

can we like... not do the whole game mechanic speculation song and bullshit?

even in the simpler games we never learn anything, and this is going to be anything but a simpler game.

keep in mind that this game not only has 22 unique roles/abilitys, but 22 abilities that are (supposedly) balance between the two teams, which makes it very likely that shit is going to get weird.
i dont think its possible for us to really know anything until we are pretty explicitly told it.

so given that, i think extended discussion on this topic is only going to be totally useless, or giving an oppurtunity for scum to appear more active.

so hows about we just not.

Top Bottom