• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Dale: NX battery 3 hours max on dev kit, dock improves performance, touchscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLZ

Banned
The dock has NO additional processing power.

Nintendo said: CLICK ME

I can't make this any clearer Any difference in performance will likely come from the Nvidia SOC down clocking while portable to promote better battery life. Any increase in performance while docked will not be from additional processing power on the dock itself.

Well she said this though (I have a feeling you've responded to this already lol, haven't read the whole thread sorry):

To that, I reply that they repeatedly use the words “main function” and “Main Console” here which still leaves a lot of room for clarity. I believe these statements were aimed at clarifying the Switch was not another Wii U style console rather than saying the dock won’t in any way alter game performance. You can’t play the dock without the handheld, but that doesn’t mean the dock won’t improve game performance.

This information again came from sources A (Nintendo), B (Ubisoft) and D (Manufacturing). None could confirm whether the dock is a PlayStation VR-style processing box which helps power higher resolution play when docked, or if docking the console simply allows the handheld to overclock and provides better performance that way. All sources claim the hardware has an easier time running docked compared to when out and about as a portable.

So you guys are in agreement if it was overclocking/underclocking.

Interfectum

The expectation is going to be alot more than 3 hours since people have other tablets to compare it to. If thats true this thing is dead on arrival

81715.png

TAFK

If this thing uses micro USB to charge can't we just get power banks though? Doesn't seem like an issue

definitely looking at this thing as more of a from bed/2nd screen in home than a leave the house with it.

my vita got a lot of use that way.

still will be a great companion for ps4. definitely still interested, but maybe for the 1st revision

The dock really needs to serve some tangible purpose if this is truly supposed to be a hybrid and this is great news even though it contradicts Nintendo directly. That portable battery life, though...

Shifty1897

So based on this thread, people game so little on the go that a 3 hour battery is sufficient, yet still enough to justify the over-design, cost increases and sacrifices of a 2 in 1 system?

I game a ton on the go, but my house, car, job... pretty much anywhere I go has a power source nearby. And I rarely have the time to put in more than 3 hours of gameplay in one sitting. I dunno, I know it won't work for everyone but I have a hard time believing that everyone complaining in this thread isn't next to a power source for most of their free time.

Portable play (IMO) seems to supplement the primary function of dock play. So while I will play it on the go, I'm not planning on spending 4 straight hours playing Zelda or Elder Scrolls off the dock (4 straight hours away from home, 4 straight hours at a friends house, 4 straight hours on my lunch break at work, 4 straight hours riding in a car or at a social function). If 3 hour battery life helps keep the cost of the system to $200-$250, sounds fine to me

Taker666

Is it 3hrs with the volume up full on the device..or with headphones.

Is it 3hrs with the screen at maximum brightness or lowest brightness.

Is it 3hrs with wifi on..or wifi off?

3hrs "max" means little unless we know the exact conditions we're talking about.

Calling bullshit on this "additional processing" when docked.

Well, it's possible. Just a bit though. Not like there is a PS4 in that dock.
Just to make it look okay on a tv.

"The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."
This quote still doesn't say that the dock DOESN'T provide a bump in one way or another.

RootCause

Tablets don't run huge 3D games with high definition graphics for longer than three hours.
Actually, they do. The problem is those tablets have batteries as large as 9,000mah. This thing probably has 3,000mah, unless they pull another WiiU gameplay nonsense , and stick 1,500mah.

KAL2006

Banned
I think it depends on the game. The chip is probably designed to underclocked and overclock based on the game.

Something like Web browsing and 2D Mario will last 6 hours

Something like Zelda BotW will last 3 hours

Steejee

Stick a phone or tablet at 100% load, you'll get about the same battery life.

If that 3 hours 'MAX' is from Ubi, it would be from the Dev kit units. If the other rumors are true and the dev kits are using an older, likely overclocked, Tegra right now, then battery life would be worse then retail.

In other words - it's a meaningless rumor until we get to release and someone can test an actual production unit.

Dweebo

Banned
Regarding the terrible 3 hour battery life: Remember that the left and right joy cons or whatever also have their own batteries inside of them so there's 3 total things that need charging. Unless the joy cons are charging while connected to tablet?

OCD Guy

So you guys are in agreement if it was overclocking/underclocking.

I absolutely believe that there will be different performance states for the Nvidia SOC where the frequencies lower or raise dependent on whether the device is docked or not.

I would bet my life on it that there is no additional cpu, gpu or any other Nvidia hardware along those lines in the dock.

The only thing I could potentially see on the dock is active cooling or additonal storage. Nothing more aside from things like usb etc

wtd2009

battery pack accessory incoming. either that or at least give use a port to plug in our own 10000mAh+ external battery the way we can do with smartphones/tablets.

rekameohs

Banned
Portable play (IMO) seems to supplement the primary function of dock play. So while I will play it on the go, I'm not planning on spending 4 straight hours playing Zelda or Elder Scrolls off the dock. If 3 hour battery life helps keep the cost of the system to $200-$250, sounds fine to me
Yeah, I was originally disheartened by the 3DS's similarly low battery life, but I never ended up needing to play it any longer than that in one stretch, and when you're done, just charge it back up again. We were spoiled by battery life years ago, but that ain't ever coming back without a major scientific advancement.

big_erk

I think it depends on the game. The chip is probably designed to underclocked and overclock based on the game.

Something like Web browsing and 2D Mario will last 6 hours

Unless you browsing GAF, then it will last less than an hour. The meltdowns use an insane amount of processing power.

Zedark

If the dock gives it extra power wouldn't it be possible for Nintendo to come out with a "Pro" dock with better hardware that improves the power in console mode?

Yes, but that is assuming that is the case at all. Laura said that she couldn't verify whether the dock has its own processing power or that it simply allows overclocking for the handheld. In the latter case, improved performance could only happen if the handheld would be iterated on.

shira

If this thing uses micro USB to charge can't we just get power banks though? Doesn't seem like an issue

I think there is a stigma against low system battery (3h) as it means that as the battery fades after 6-12 months it will degrade to 1 or 2 hours.

Xiao Hu

Well let's not panic and wait for the retail version. I'm sure the end product will be able to squeeze out 1/2 additional hours.

RootCause

battery pack accessory incoming. either that or at least give use a port to plug in our own 10000mAh+ external battery the way we can do with smartphones/tablets.
Doesn't it have a micro USB port? or was that incorrect?

I think there is a stigma against low system battery (3h) as it means that as the battery fades after 6-12 months it will degrade to 1 or 2 hours.
That's true. I hope replacing the battery is user replaceable. Who knows, maybe Nintendo will release a larger one.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Mario Maker would be incredibly lame if you had to keep docking and undocking as you switch between playing levels on the TV and designing them on the tablet. Yeah you can just play on the tablet screen but it's not the same.

Da-Kid

Apparently the "max 3 hours" comes from a source within Ubisoft, so maybe it's 3 hours with particularly intensive games.

Oddly enough, nobody is giving two shits about the fact that apparently the console has better performances when docked.
Because when it's something seemingly bad nothing else matters... apparently.
Exactly.

There are a lot of variables that dictate battery life.

I can't see it being 3 hours maximum regardless of what you're doing with it. A game like Skyrim at max backlight is obviously going to take up more juice than playing downwell in the dark at minimum backlight.

But again NeoGaf have taken what Laura says as hard fact.

Me personally I'll wait for hands on from media and gaming outlets who at that point will provide context e.g playing Mario Kart online gave x amount of hours, playing x game gave x amount of hours etc.

Before anyone jumps on me, yes she's been right in some cases, but no leaker is 100% accurate 100% of the time.

The only difference between a good leaker and a bad leaker is that the good leakers will try and verify a rumour from more than one source. But they're not always right.
I agree with you. And like I said, Neogaf has some of the most notorious amount of Conclusion Jumpers I've seen on a site. They take things with sugar, not salt.

Laura said the Ubisoft dev is going off of a dev kit

Laura Kate Dale‏ @LaurakBuzz
@Erimgard Ubi source is most familiar with the dev kit, but believes the retail jkit won't see a big jump.

I mean the dev just "believes" it won't be much better in the retail, but this isn't final.

I game a ton on the go, but my house, car, job... pretty much anywhere I go has a power source nearby. And I rarely have the time to put in more than 3 hours of gameplay in one sitting. I dunno, I know it won't work for everyone but I have a hard time believing that everyone complaining in this thread isn't next to a power source for most of their free time.

Wouldn't you prefer to spend perhaps a little more and have two dedicated devices with a shared library rather than this jack of all trades attempt?

Miroku129

If the dock DOES have processing power, even minimal, it would be truly amazing if it functioned as a reverse Wii U and allowed streaming from the tablet to the TV, allowing dual screen play or Wii U support via VC. Also, it would be very cool to have media apps on the dock while playing games on the tablet, like running Netflix solely on the dock and watching TV Shows while grinding in Fire Emblem on the tablet. Cool use case right there.

That would be cool af

Matbtz

Like the "extra processing" stuff has already been reported as false, so why would we even take her word for the 3-hour stuff?

Because all what she said before the reveal was true ?
And what is your source ? Because if you are referring to the IGN interview the answer is vague at best. We will know more in January I guess.

KAL2006

Banned
Mario Maker would be incredibly lame if you had to keep docking and undocking as you switch between playing levels on the TV and designing them on the tablet. Yeah you can just play on the tablet screen but it's not the same.

I don't see why they wouldn't just let you create levels on the TV with traditional controls or pointer if the Joy Cons get confirmation of motion in the future.

Then the tablet touch controls would be a additional feature for easier level creation

OmegaFax

If battery life ends up not being great, it'd be in Nintendo's best interests to at least have quick charging available for people who use the dock frequently. Going from 0% -> 80% in a half hour would be a big boost.

I guess it needs asking ... but what if the Switch doesn't come with a dock or a wall adapter? >_<

Banned
3 hours? Lol. Good think I'll be docked most of the time. And that dock better improve performance.

Bikram

Because three hours is very short. I get more than six hours of gaming on my Vita 2000 on a single battery charge.

That is because there is difference in components and the switch internals will draw more power than the Vita ones.

As someone posted a chart above, 3 hour is what you will get with your ipads under full load. It's not Nintendo's fault, battery tech is the lagging behind for sometime. This is a universal problem with anything running on batteries.

boxter432

"Source A (Nintendo) described the Switch as having a “mediocre” battery life."

yep, that sounds like something a company would say about their own product lol.

not saying the 3 hrs is wrong, but when in the hell would Nintendo say "our new product has a mediocre feature"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom