• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAY2WIN: COD microtransactions keep getting worse - IW gives stat boosts to guns

Lol @ people saying it's not p2w. They must be either ignorant about the concept or performing mental gymnastics for the justification.
Some people try to defend P2W mechanics by taking the term in the literal sense and saying "you can still die, you're not guaranteed to win" even though the term has always meant pay for advantage.

It gets really irritating to have to keep seeing this purposefully twisted argument time and time again.

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope. I was only gonna buy Infinite Warfare for the MW1 remaster, but now I don't even wanna do that; I'm not gonna give my money to Activision if they're gonna encourage bullshit like this. Fuck CoD I'm out for good.

Sounds like some bullshit to me. Honestly I wasn't going to buy this anyway. I do hope some people that may have otherwise bought it won't because of crap like this though.

dtm808

You guys... Anyone calling this P2W is going a little overboard.
Are these perks going to enhance and empower those who are already good at the game? Yes. Are they going to magically take people who suck, or even those who are decent, to the top of the scoreboards? Hell no. CoD is still a skill-based shooter, and no amount of weapon perks, however "OP," can make you a better player. This is not P2W, so let's cut that out.

Listen. I don't have IW pre-ordered, so I'm not just defending this game to justify my spending money. I did have a blast playing the multiplayer beta, though, and I have no problem with the gun perks and how they're unlocked. People are going to play the SHIT out of this game, and for serious players, it's nice to have a long-term goal. Something hard to unlock that takes time. That's why Ubisoft has started adding in useless little trinkets and aesthetic unlocks to Siege that cost obscene amounts of renown. The serious players have more currency than they freaking know what to do with, and Ubi didn't see that coming.

The perks are neat, and even the "game-breaking" stuff like instant reloads for head shot kills with an SMG... Well, what can I say? That's a badass perk. But it's not going to help you get headshots.

The great players are going to be the ones with the best guns, that's true. But that's not a bad thing. The guns aren't going to make anyone a better or lesser player. And after about a month, matchmaking will take care of balance. The high level players with suites of perks all synnergizing with each other are going to be playing a totally different ball game than the people at lower ranks, with lower win counts, using more basic weapons.

*BUT,* as Drift0r admitted in his video, even a basic gun with no upgrades is still deadly in the hands of an experienced player. Put me in a room full of noobs all using Epic-tier guns, and give me a basic-but-accurate assault rifle, and I'll clean up. If you don't like microtransactions that's fine, but this is a lot of howling at the moon, here. Advanced players will love tweaking their play styles and basing their strategies around these end-game guns, and it gives them something to spend currency on for a long time.

Also, after the initial unloading of bonus scrap and keys when you boot up the beta, I was able in those two weekends to get an epic and legendary gun variant through supply drops. Awesome weapons will be much more common than people are implying in this thread... Trust me, it's not going to take you a hundred hours to get an epic weapon variant. (though it might for the specific gun you want)

EDIT: Absolutely go buy Titanfall 2, regardless. Freaking great game.

I understand what you are saying but its still a shit practice to put game changing things behind a time/pay wall. Nobody here is saying micro-transactions are purely bad. Games like Dota 2 and OW are just fine because the things you can get are purely cosmetic. We shouldn't accept this practice of having loot crate style micro transactions that alter game-play and give any sort of advantage (even if small) in a competitive PVP game. Its just stupid.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
Yea, and it wasn't that good. None of them after 4 have been good unless you like shitty map design and unrewarding gameplay.

Respectfully disagree.

Weird/Interesting Campaign with some cool setpieces.

Overall Solid Mulitplayer Experience besides some Treyarch jank as the beginning. No OP guns besides Famas was also good.

Oh and the best Co Op experience the franchise has ever delivered in its refined Nazi Zombie mode. A mode COD 4 fully lacks.

Hjod

Banned
Well, I'm not suprised. I'm not buying that shit, I'll go for Titanfall 2 instead.

It's only going to get worse as soon as they notice that people will pay for stat boosts, it's going to get so much worse.

Lebneney

Banned
I'll back that bet. By E3 at the latest.

Also it'll be at least $40, but most likely $50.

$60 bucks if you want the extra maps they would have put out by then.

If they release it separately towards summer, it will be $40. If March, then $50.

Please tell me the CoD4 remaster has nothing like this. I refuse to buy any multiplayer game that allows you to pretty much cheat if you have the cash to spare.

Not played COD in absolutely years. Not since battlefield 3. The reason is its junk and MT'S like this are the panicle of rubbish IMHO. That and playing on a map which you can think round in 30 seconds mean it's not something I ever want to play

G0DLIKE

That's disgusting.

Edit:

I don't want this future.

I don't care if you are fucking MS, Sony, Nintendo, or any 3rd party, including platinum/Valve/Blizzard.

If I am paying for a game, and you dare pull this shit, I am done with you.

Signed

Roshin

This is the first year, ever, since before Modern Warfare that I won't buy CoD on Day One.

Not only does it feel like more of the same. Not only was the beta pretty meh. Not only is there shit like this. But it's also right after Battlefield 1 AND Titanfall 2. I'll wait. I'll snag it cheap down the road.

Agreed. Enough is enough.

yet people would still continue to preorder CoD and buy all the season passes and DLC. People will still try to defend these shitty micro-transactions because they've already accepted them as the norm even though these practices hurt the consumers.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I understand what you are saying but its still a shit practice to put game changing things behind a time/pay wall. Nobody here is saying micro-transactions are purely bad. Games like Dota 2 and OW are just fine because the things you can get are purely cosmetic. We shouldn't accept this practice of having loot crate style micro transactions that alter game-play and give any sort of advantage (even if small) in a competitive PVP game. Its just stupid.

I mean, that's basically what ranking up is.

so people are just gonna play modern warfare remastered instead

Those of us that buy the Legacy edition yes.

I'll try IW of course and will play the campaign but it is heading towards being uninstalled.

MWR will be my FPS for the foreseeable future and BF1 when my friends wanna squad up.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
With the alternatives on the market now people really don't need to buy this game anymore.

But they still will :(
Titanfall 2 is so damn amazing: I'm trying to sing it from the rooftops to overcome EA's mismanaged timing of it's release...it deserves CoD's numbers, and all the DLC is free!

Tovarisc

so people are just gonna play modern warfare remastered instead

Those of us that buy the Legacy edition yes.

I'll try IW of course and will play the campaign but it is heading towards being uninstalled.

MWR will be my FPS for the foreseeable future and BF1 when my friends wanna squad up.

Even if people were to purchase Legacy Edition only because MWR and not care about IW at all I think we know those sales will be used by Activision to say IW is selling very, very well. Activision knew what they were doing with this forced bundle and oh boy will they get mileage from it, from income to possible PR spins.

On topic itself, what they are doing with weapon crafting is pure bullshit and shouldn't exist in gaming nor it should be supported directly or indirectly by gamers. Buying games with shit like this just gets read as gamers liking / wanting this stuff by publishers.

Lakitu

st5fu
Activision are so damn greedy. Like the millions of dollars they get already isn't enough. Bobby Kottick is probably sniffing cocaine of a hookers tits as we speak and they want more? Hopefully it doesn't affect Destiny 2.

Kuraudo

Banned
People will use real money to boost their stats. Can you really blame Activision?

Yes. Making as much money as possible isn't the only virtue in life. It's not even the greatest virtue in business if it ends up damaging the integrity of the brand.

Lucifon

Am I right in thinking the scrap rate in the beta was increased too? So you'll earn less scrap per match in the full game...?

I second what people are saying in this thread - Titanfall 2 is absolutely amazing. It's significantly better than the beta. And all maps / modes dlc will be free. It deserves to be bigger than cod, it almost feels like where cod *should* be at this point. Highly recommend!!

Gxgear

Poor timing considering IW is preceded by 2 strong titles in the genre courtesy of EA. This game seems like it's almost completely buoyed by the MW remaster.

This is not in the remaster right?

I'll only play the remaster online, new game will be campaign and the given to some kids in my flat.

Coxy100

Banned
People will use real money to boost their stats. Can you really blame Activision?
Yep easily - in business whilst money is super duper important... if you're already making plenty of money then I would argue reputation is a far more important factor

geordiemp

FPS-games are so unappealing nowadays. :( Days of World at War are long gone.

wat ? They are very popular, Whether COD sells 15 or 20 million is not in the same boat as Japanese stuff that nobody cares about except GAF. You should be in the paper mario thread or something

This is the first year, ever, since before Modern Warfare that I won't buy CoD on Day One.

Not only does it feel like more of the same. Not only was the beta pretty meh. Not only is there shit like this. But it's also right after Battlefield 1 AND Titanfall 2.

Agree, BO3 guns / COD points soured me but this is too much. Its nice to read posts from actual COD players instead of shitty drive byes from Gaffers who are just anti COD or shooters in general.

You see them in Destiny threads as well.

Chû Totoro;222126447 said:
I won't play for more than a few hours so I can try it.

Oh sh*t... forgot about that... your "wut" is because I won't be able to play the Remaster of I give the other game right? :/

Yes, the IW disc is required to play MWR.

nOoblet16

I don't mind microtransactios in a game but this recent trend of "packs" has actually caught me off guard by how it has creeped up in every game...including the "scrap" system where you dismantle existing stuff to buy more of these packs.

It's basically RNG behind RNG and I don't really know which game should I blame for it. Perhaps Halo 5 which got rather positive feedback for its Rec system, but the one thing Halo 5 does that others don't is that it awards the packs on a very frequent basis...even daily.

I for one would be happy if the micro transactions are limited to buying cosmetics straight away rather than underneath a layer of RNG. Games like BF1 make it even worse by dividing the content of the box into "parts" so you keep spending until you get enough parts. I know currently there is no way to buy battle packs for real money but you know it's coming soon...this entire system is made for spending real money.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
What adds to the annoyance (at least for me) here is how some are defending it, even. Really? Activision wants to continue down this slippery slope and some people are defending it??

This is pay-to-win, or bordering on it, and if you think someone having the best weapons is OK, well, I honestly don't know what to say to you.

I only hope this BS affects review and talks about it. I can state now that our (PlayStation LifeStyle) Infinite Warfare review WILL take this into account. Yeah, I know some Activision people are browsing GAF and I wouldn't be surprised if I get an email about this post. But if you're a media outlet (a decent one, at least) and you don't even touch on this in reviews? Yeah, you're clearly not reviewing a game focused on multiplayer fairly.

Again, I loved BO3. I master prestiged it (first time I've done so in a Call of Duty game), but I stopped playing it the moment Treyach started putting in weapons in their Supply Drops.

Am I right in thinking the scrap rate in the beta was increased too? So you'll earn less scrap per match in the full game...?

I second what people are saying in this thread - Titanfall 2 is absolutely amazing. It's significantly better than the beta. And all maps / modes dlc will be free. It deserves to be bigger than cod, it almost feels like where cod *should* be at this point. Highly recommend!!

Yes. For this, though, it's something they can tweak easily. Don't know what route they're taking, but at least it can be tweaked.

SeeThree

So I got the $100 digital preorder thing they do every October and you get the $15 credit.

$85 gets 2 full single player campaigns, 13 Infinite Warfare multiplayer maps, 16 MWR maps, and 16 more DLC IW maps. Thats 45 multiplayer maps. 49 if they add Broadcast, Creek, Chinatown, and Killhouse.

But WAIT! This tiny stat boost is gonna get me killed by the rich!!!
On hold with Tony from Playstation right now! Gonna buy the one with big maps and vehicles. I'll buy the robots one too! That will show them! Sales are gonna be so bad next year the DLC will be FREE!!! Desperate!!

:\

And people will still buy it, still buy the legacy edition and also they will still charge for DLC. If you buy CoD at this point I can't take the person serious as a gamer.

Tovarisc

What adds to the annoyance (at least for me) here is how some are defending it, even. Really? Activision wants to continue down this slippery slope and some people are defending it??

This is pay-to-win, or bordering on it, and if you think someone having the best weapons is OK, well, I honestly don't know what to say to you.

I only hope this BS affects review and talks about it. I can state now that our (PlayStation LifeStyle) Infinite Warfare review WILL take this into account. Yeah, I know some Activision people are browsing GAF and I wouldn't be surprised if I get an email about this post. But if you're a media outlet (a decent one, at least) and you don't even touch on this in reviews? Yeah, you're clearly not reviewing a game focused on multiplayer fairly.

Again, I loved BO3. I master prestiged it (first time I've done so in a Call of Duty game), but I stopped playing it the moment Treyach started putting in weapons in their Supply Drops.

Are publishers PR / marketing departments so childish that there could be backslash towards outlet [site or magazine] for fully reviewing all aspects of game X and truthfully reporting on it and voicing opinions on it?

geordiemp

So I got the $100 digital preorder thing they do every October and you get the $15 credit.

$85 gets 2 full single player campaigns, 13 Infinite Warfare multiplayer maps, 16 MWR maps, and 16 more DLC IW maps. Thats 45 multiplayer maps. 49 if they add Broadcast, Creek, Chinatown, and Killhouse.

:\

Most of us COD fans already played MW, I promised myself every time I was killed by the Marshall 16 shotgun pistol when storming a room I would not put up with P2W advantages in my multiplayer games.

IW have doubled down on what pissed me off about Bo3 from March onwards due to youtuber whales spending 2 grand on COD points to make a video about 'look at ma guns'. Even drift0r let us down.

Once Microshit gets so greedy it does beyond cosmetic on a £ 100 game, they can fuck off.

Also the worst thing about COD from Xmas onwards is always the first DLC player base fragmentation, worse lag in games and less players once DLC starts. Having 2 COD games plus season passes Plus microshit is ominous for fragmentation.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Are publishers PR / marketing departments so childish that there could be backslash towards outlet [site or magazine] for fully reviewing all aspects of game X and truthfully reporting on it and voicing opinions on it?

You'd be surprised at how childish and inane some PR are when it comes to games...

I always tell myself that I should write it all down and maybe publish it one day (maybe when I retire or change careers). xD

Top Bottom