• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age 2 - first screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_rus

So those shots are an upgrade in graphics compared to these?

ivqCy.jpg

47DUZ.jpg

Riiiiight...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I remember DA trailers and what type of response they'd evoked in community :lol

So that means I don't care about these screens at all.

And Mass Effect marketing did everything to make me not buy it. But when I saw first 20 minutes 3 years later and bought it, it turned out to be my favourite RPG this gen. So Bioware can release any shitty screens and trailers they want.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Someone from the BioWare forums posted information from GameStar.

There's not much new, but there's a little bit.

Sir Karl said:
Gamestar has posted a (German) 2-page article about Dragon Age 2.
Some facts (don't know whether they are already known)
* decisions from DA:O carry over and shape the game world
* first part of the game plays during the same time frame as DA:O
* same combat system (although more dynamic? whatever that means)
* new combo system for melee and mage classes
* finishing moves for the mages

Some characters:
Bethany: mage sister of Hawke
Cassandra: inquisitor with interest in Hawke
Varric: dwarven friend of Hawke and narrator
Flemeth will reappear
Source: http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dra...eenshots-from-a-german-pc-mag--3124740-1.html

Judging by the character descriptions.

Varric
LeiRT.jpg

Cassandra
UopyN.jpg

Both
0VEJL.jpg

I think there were better quality versions, but I forgot to save them before they were taken down.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
water_wendi said:
The single most important thing in rpgs is that health is red and mana is blue. Everything else is just meaningless fluff.

truly101 said:
Just remember that female Hawke is cannon

Back to back awesome quote. Well done, chaps. Well done. :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems they're quite serious about changing the plot structure this time.

BioWare said:
Poster said:
In KOTOR, you were a Jedi. In Jade Empire, you were a Spirit Monk. In Mass Effect, you were a Spectre. In DA1 you were a Grey Warden.

Any guesses on the new organization for DA2? My guess is it has something to do with the Champion of whatever title.
Poster said:
So you're all saying that BioWare are going to break their streak of 4 consecutive games with an exclusive organization in them? It's 5 if you count Cerberus.
I know, right?

No exclusive organization. No saving the world. No ancient evil.
BioWare said:
Poster said:
I can't tell if you're being coy or sincere. Sincere would be kind of awesome, actually.
Completely sincere.

There are other things you can do aside from saving the world-- as plenty of people griped back when Origins was announced. Not doing one of those three things doesn't mean Hawke is sitting around painting his toenails.
Source: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/3127485/1

Wiggum2007

I'm actually cautiously optimistic about the new art style. Yes these shots look super early and crappy and shouldn't have been released, but I like that they are going for a more stylized look than the blandness of the first games visuals, here's to hoping they can pull it off.

Darkkn

Really hate those angular(its a word, right?) plate armors on enemies. Straight from heavy metal album covers or something.
I hope they go all the way for stylized look instead of this crap. Something like TF2 or Borderlands style would be nice. Or maybe they shouldn't change art style in the first place...

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
the walrus said:
Yeah. Right. I'll believe that when I see it.
The already said what Hawke is.. he/she is the Champion of Kierkegaard or whatever. We just play out exactly how they become the hero from my understanding.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
the walrus said:
Yeah. Right. I'll believe that when I see it.
ShockingAlberto said:
I think this implies that there's a story path that involves not saving the world, not that saving the world isn't the main focus.
Well, I finally got to see the magazine today, and they actually openly admit that the plots of their games are all very similar, and they seem rather determined to make this one different.

Of course, we'll have to wait until the game releases to find out if that actually happens.

Interestingly enough, some of the screenshots in the magazine actually look worse than even these ones do, however, they all seem to be the same area with the same characters and monsters.

The one thing that does look nice though is the close-up of the faces. If they could extend that quality to the rest of the game, it would actually be a nice upgrade to Dragon Age, though that would be quite a leap from where they're sitting now.

Edit:

Finished looking through it. It seems that pretty much every detail out of the magazine has been covered already.

Gestahl

- the story is told by the dwarf Varric as he's being interrogated by the inquisitor Cassandra near the end of the game

I wonder if Hawke will have to stop a Halliburton parody from unwittingly unleashing the next blight

markatisu said:
Calling Game Informer a major magazine is a bit much, the only reason the magazine has any weight whatsoever is because its like an extension of Gamestop

That is like calling IGN or Kotaku reputable video game journalists

Quality of the mag aside, you can't deny that it's one of the most popular, most subscribed to magazines in the United States. I was just looking at the 2008 stats for the Top 50 magazines in the U.S. and Game Informer had a bigger circulation than Time, Sports Illustrated, Rolling Stone, Playboy, Newsweek, U.S. News and World Report, Cosmo and TV Guide just to name a few. They had a circulation of more than three million or something. That's a lot of people who might be left with a bad first impression because of the screen shots.

TheFury

The scans are out on the net now. The close up of Hawke looks pretty good aside from the fur. Everything else is meh.

Dennis

Banned
TheFury said:
The scans are out on the net now. The close up of Hawke looks pretty good aside from the fur. Everything else is meh.
I forget the rules. Posting the scanned images is not allowed, but what about the text? Can the text be reproduced ad verbatim as long as it is not the actual scanned text images being posted?

TheFury

DennisK4 said:
I forget the rules. Posting the scanned images is not allowed, but what about the text? Can the text be reproduced ad verbatim as long as it is not the actual scanned text images being posted?
I know scans aren't allowed, but no idea on text. I only ever see a summary of text from magazines posted on here, but that could be due to the effort it would take to type everything out.

McHuj

There was a blurb in the article about the graphics. To quickly summarize:

- style involves "better use of negative space" and "more angular, grim depictions of your surroundings"
- the team felt that the previous one "the previous whimsical qualities of the art didn't reflect the austere nature of the world and it's politics."
- Bioware hopes to convey bloodier, sexier visuals so DA2 looks unique
- Quote from art director, Matt Goldman: "Whenever you see a screenshot of DA2, you're going to be able to say 'That's DA2'. You're not confusing it for LOTR."

So far that quote is spot on and based on the current screenshots, I'm not going to confuse it with any modern game either.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Where was that article about how there are certain conditions that websites and magazines have to meet when doing previews (saying things in a positive light only, any issues construed as problem areas noted as being fixed for release, etc)?

TrutaS

Bioware should administer urgent new screenshots, if they want to prevent this bleeding damage to the hardcore gamer. My belief in this project is haemorrhaging at a minute basis.

DogWelder

TrutaS said:
Bioware should administer urgent new screenshots, if they want to prevent this bleeding damage to the hardcore gamer. My belief in this project is haemorrhaging at a minute basis.
Bleeding damage? What? People are fickle...

Prax

You know, for once I just want to play a WRPG that I can say is good-looking (Guild Wars is is the best of the bunch that I know, but I'm really into more self-contained single-player rpgs without the mmo elements). Technically, they do well with all the bells and whistles with lighting and texture, but they fall so flat when it comes to style and aesthetically pleasing body proportions it's embarrassing.

Dragon Age is just so SO ugly, and despite that, I played it and the expansion. So HOPEFULLY this installment will look much more stylized in the non-ugly direction.

The screens released so far are in fact terrible looking, but they will no doubt up the textures and add in all the fancy and plastic lighting and shadow effects, so I'm not concerned about that.

The dude's face, fortunately, doesn't make me wretch, although I still want it to veer for more stylization instead of realism. The silhouettes are okay (At least I'll know pointy sharp things in the distance are ugly enemies!). Colour palette wise.. still awful like the first game.

epmode

I thought The Witcher looked pretty good. But you're right, most WRPGs are bland. That's been the case for decades now.

Also: WoW, but I'd imagine that you don't like that one since you already mentioned another MMO (kinda).

Prax

epmode said:
I thought The Witcher looked pretty good. But you're right, most WRPGs are bland. That's been the case for decades now.

Also: WoW, but I'd imagine that you don't like that one since you already mentioned another MMO (kinda).

The Witcher still has that "good lighting but plastic zombie doll" look that seems endemic to WRPGs. I am sure it's because it's trying to look realistic, but doesn't quite make it, so it ends up looking uncanny, odd, or just a bad clash of styles.

For example, these games usually try to add in realistic facial and bone structures, but then you look at the awful accessories, hair, armour, and other costume elements with that, and it all falls apart into an ugly mess. Nothing seems cohesive.
One example with Dragon Age is every character having to wear this really ugly rope necklace to hide the neckline for costume swaps and this really adds a jarring separation between head and wooden looking body (complete with plastic lighting). Seemingly "realistic" faces with lots of (ugly) textures, especially for male characters (though poorly proportioned with really REALLY small eyes--perhaps to overcompensate in trying to look realistic and not "anime"), but terrible hair to frame the face. On top of that, let's add individual eye lashes to make it look extra creepy. It's just so inconsistent, and then you add in the bad or awkward animations!
Oh boy, those steamy camp scenes! Couldn't get enough of those necklaced bodies with heads stuck onto them panning around! I think hearing that they want to make Dragon Age 2 even sexier will give me nightmares. :|

WoW on the other hand, looks better. It's not exactly my cup of tea, but the colour palette is pretty good, the visual style is distinct, and at least the world and its elements look cohesive. But yah, it's an MMO, so unfortunately, I don't play it.

Combine

Banned
McHuj said:

- style involves "better use of negative space" and "more angular, grim depictions of your surroundings"
- the team felt that the previous one "the previous whimsical qualities of the art didn't reflect the austere nature of the world and it's politics."
- Quote from art director, Matt Goldman: "Whenever you see a screenshot of DA2, you're going to be able to say 'That's DA2'. You're not confusing it for LOTR."

So far that quote is spot on and based on the current screenshots, I'm not going to confuse it with any modern game either.
All these comments, but the bolded in particular just made me smh

McHuj said:

Christ...

Well...there's always Dragon Age 3...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I can't understand why they've released these ugly screens, because they have some good-looking ones in the article. But oh well, Bioware's marketing etc. etc.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It's uh ..quite the opposite effect so far lol, people can't seem to believe they're looking at screens from DAO2 so far.

MannahContana

Neo Member
subversus said:
I can't understand why they've released these ugly screens, because they have some good-looking ones in the article. But oh well, EA's marketing etc. etc.

Have no idea, Dragon Age 1, Deadspace, Mirror's Edge, Dante's etc...

chandoog said:
It's uh ..quite the opposite effect so far lol, people can't seem to believe they're looking at screens from DAO2 so far.

They do say "That's DA2" just with a bunch of question marks right after.

TheChaos

8yrwxh.gif

Seriously BioWare, lay off the browns and reds. Take a cue from the new Witcher game and add some color, s'il vous plait.

McHuj said:

Well

If there's anything that describes these visuals, "negative" isn't in the wrong building.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think the art direction is actually better. The first Dragon Age looked like generic crap. I would wait a bit before panicking.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Apparently the game will be at Comic-Con and the public can see it.

BioWare said:
We have finally finished our sneaky plans and can now announce that Dragon Age 2 will be at the San Diego Comic Con!

Both BioWare and Visceral Studios will again be in the Hilton Gaslamp hotel showiing off Dead Space 2 and a Special Sneak Peak of Dragon Age 2. Our room will be open Thursday through Saturday from 12 noon until 9 pm and open on Sunday from 12 until 7 pm. The Hilton Gaslamp is directly across the train tracks from the convention center, so make sure you come visit us for a Special Sneak Peak of Dragon Age 2 and the coolness of Dead Space 2. We also have some on sight surprises, so make sure you check us out.

If you are attending the con, also make sure you check out the following:
The EA Booth in the main hall where they have Rockband and Medal of Honor
The Lucasarts booth where you can learn more about BioWare's MMO Star Wars the Old Republic
The Dark Horse and IDW comics booths for info on the Mass Effect and Dragon Age comics
And I, Evil Chris, will be part of the "Are video game comics the next big thing" panel along with Fallout's Chris Avallone and more Thursday afternoon from 1-2 pm in Room 5AB. Come check it out and chat me yup in the hall after the panel is over.

We hope to see you next week at the San Diego Comic Con!
Source: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/3149188

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom