• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Dragon's Dogma 2 runs at uncapped 30 FPS on consoles

Draugoth

Gold Member
Dragons-Dogma-2-first-trailer-released.jpg

Dragon's Dogma 2 was running at 30 FPS on PlayStation 5, whomever this was uncapped

The game also has no peformance or visual modes on console.

While the gameplay was amazing and I can’t wait to get back to play more, there was one concern I’ve seen the community curious about: the uncapped framerate on console. When looking at this it should be noted that I’m playing a version which Capcom clearly states is “still in development, and is not equivalent to the final product.” But in this build on PlayStation 5, Dragon’s Dogma 2 was averaging around 31 frames per second with dips during heavy moments of action while playing with the PS5 set to output at 4K. I did not get to test at lower base revolutions or VRR during my time to see if that had a positive impact on performance however, if I had one hope, it would be that Capcom added more options in the framerate department including, at minimum a capped 30 frames per second mode.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Doesn't matter, 30fps is perfectly fine as long as it's stable, couldn't even tell you the difference between a smooth 30fps versus 60 or 120. But of course the performance/graphics whores will be here any second telling us how it's better on their $50k PC. Like yea no shit, but some of us don't care about the differences enough to pull out a second mortgage on our house. Plus the PS5 Pro will run this just as good as high end PC's anyways in a few months. /s

Am I doing it right?

Kuranghi

No FPS cap? Absolute bongo-heads 🤦‍♂️ its the same in The Talos Principle 2, the fidelity mode is so much better looking but it barely ever keeps 60fps so I just have endure v-sync stutter almost constantly because I don't have VRR (or want it).

Comandr

Uncapped framerate that stays around 30 fps is certainly a choice. Isn’t this RE Engine? One of the easiest engines to get high framerates.
This is the first RE engine game set in a huge open world, though. I don't think any of their other games do the kind of physics calculations and world destruction like DD2 does. PS5 doesn't exactly have a beast of a CPU. I can't explain capcom's fascination with uncapped framerates though.

Topher

Gold Member
Cancelled my Gamefly rental. If reviews turn out as great as it looks, this will be day one on PC.

A loud minority crying loud here.

Maqk7OD.png

That ain't factoring in PC gamers my man.

Cancelled my Gamefly rental. If reviews turn out as great as it looks, this will be day one on PC.

Weak eyed bitch

Spyxos

Gold Member

I was talking about the consoles, but I have no problems with 30 fps on the PC also.

Spyxos

Gold Member
That's fine, but you said "most people". Think it is pretty obvious PC gamers want higher frame rates than 30.

Give me a few.......I'm thinking about it.
Yes, wrongly worded, when I thought about ff16, Pc didn't even cross my mind.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No. The boss fights will feel more epic at 30fps or lower 🚬

Source
That game was more like 20 fps or lower. It was so choppy when I first played it and your guy is running around the castle, I rebooted my system because I thought the disc was skipping. Never played a game on PS2 with a worse frame rate, You could practically count the animation frames of your character running around.

Lokaum D+

No way this game is outputting a native 3840 x 2160.
this is the problem with this mandotory 4k mentality on consoles, we could run the game at 1440p ( DLSS ) with high assets at 60fps, but for some reason ppl prefer to play at 4k with uncaped framerate and god knows how many assets are turned down to reach 4k.

i would say that 4k nowadays is a cancer in gaming industry.

@sendit Dragon's Dogma 2 will have frame gen support on release.
Yeah, but Nvidia dont want to support frame gen on my old RTX2060 :(

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
On a more serious note I can’t understand how people can now days deal with 30FPS on large TVs, especially if the said TV is an OLED. And of course cherry in too is bad motion blur implementation.

That legit makes me feel nauseous.
Opposite for me. 60fps on my OLED makes me feel nauseous, which I find really bizarre because it's a new phenomenon to me and I also have zero issue playing VR for hours at a time.

I tried to play that first ginger kid Star Wars game a while back and I had to dip out cause it made me physically ill.

Topher

Gold Member
this is the problem with this mandotory 4k mentality, we could run the game at 1440p ( DLSS ) with high assets at 60fps, but for some reason ppl prefer to play at 4k with uncaped framerate and god knows how many assets are turned down to reach 4k.

1440p just doesn't give marketing guys hard-ons like 4K, huh?

Mister Wolf

this is the problem with this mandotory 4k mentality on consoles, we could run the game at 1440p ( DLSS ) with high assets at 60fps, but for some reason ppl prefer to play at 4k with uncaped framerate and god knows how many assets are turned down to reach 4k.

This generation should really be 1800p as the maximum.

Top Bottom