• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Dragon's Dogma 2 runs at uncapped 30 FPS on consoles

Bojji

Soooooo I normally play everything on ps5 but I recently built a 7900xtx 7800x3d pc - what kind of performance should I expect out of my pc with this game?

Easily more than 2x (or just 3x) the performance of PS5 version on PS5 settings.

WNZvPrf.jpg

Fake gamers all around

WTF? Why we should be happy that developers make dumb choices? People on consoles are locked to "developers vision" so if they won't bitch about their dumb settings devs won't change anything.

Unlocked fps around 30fps is one of the worst performance profiles, it won't look ok on any screen.

Some people might be happy about 30fps or this shit (^) but those that are complaining aren't "fake gamers", they just want decent experience.

30 fps unlocked lovers:

wDncbOj.jpg

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I don’t care. It will still be better experience than on pc and I own the disc.
It thence version is shockingly better, I will consider it but I doubt it
I get owning the disc part but why would it be a better experience than on PC with your rig? As far as I’m aware, this isn’t UE, it’s the RE so no bullshit with stuttering.

Last edited:

yamaci17

I get owning the disc part but why would it be a better experience than on PC with your rig? As far as I’m aware, this isn’t UE, it’s the RE so no bullshit with stuttering.
resident evil 4 with ray tracing kept crashing on his 3080 so he thinks this will be the same

Zathalus

I don’t care. It will still be better experience than on pc and I own the disc.
It thence version is shockingly better, I will consider it but I doubt it
Don't you game at the exact same desk and TV when playing PS5 or PC? So why would the PS5 offer the better experience? You certainly prefer PS5 over PC but I fail to see what would be the better experience in this case?

yamaci17

Wasn’t this due to a VRAM issue?
probably
considering 3080 will have the grunt to push 30 fps+ with ray tracing in this game with DLSS, you can kind of interpolate that he would try to enable it and come across similar issues (even though people like him usually disable ray tracing in cyberpunk and alan wake 2 because they don't get 60 fps with it. lol)

some people are funny though. they will mock competent ray traced titles like alan wake 2/cyberpunk and moan about 3080 not being performant enough in these titles (despite being an avid 30 fps defender, they will often disable ray tracing in those games and claim they're worthless), but then they will make a mountain out of a mole when useless ray tracing implementations by capcom in their re engine causes VRAM crashes (and in that case their explanation is that game runs at 60 fps+ with useless ray tracing so why should they disable it LOL)

Last edited:

yamaci17

Is there Ray tracing and DLSS in this game? RE4R had useless RT but no DLSS.
there is. and it is forced on consoles. this game is another case of Jedi survivor. it is why console CPU fails colossaly and barely keeps a 30 FPS.

it is just dumb. i dont even know their persistence on forcing ray tracing on consoles.

Senua

probably
considering 3080 will have the grunt to push 30 fps+ with ray tracing in this game with DLSS, you can kind of interpolate that he would try to enable it and come across similar issues (even though people like him usually disable ray tracing in cyberpunk and alan wake 2 because they don't get 60 fps with it. lol)

some people are funny though. they will mock competent ray traced titles like alan wake 2/cyberpunk and moan about 3080 not being performant enough in these titles (despite being an avid 30 fps defender, they will often disable ray tracing in those games and claim they're worthless), but then they will make a mountain out of a mole when useless ray tracing implementations by capcom in their re engine causes VRAM crashes (and in that case their explanation is that game runs at 60 fps+ with useless ray tracing so why should they disable it LOL)
There is no explaining rofif, he simply, is.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

There’s no hope to argue with him. He thinks his PS5 is a better experience than his 3080 (?). It’s hopeless.

With OLED monitor on top of that.. hellooooooo judder

yamaci17

There’s no hope to argue with him. He thinks his PS5 is a better experience than his 3080 (?). It’s hopeless.

eh pairing a 3700x with 3080 also plays a role in that. to accomodate for the lack of CPU power, he tends to push extremely ultra settings and tries to play native 4k and usually disregards DLSS or often being critical of it (despite being a fan of a console that uses dynamic resolution scaling ranging from 720p to 1440p all the time on a myriad of games). when he sees he can get 4k native 30 fps in a game, he just wants to play like that on his 3080, and naturally, 10 gb vram buffer kind of suffers at "brute" native 4k in some games

for him if gpu can get native 4k/30 fps, he should be able to play smoothly there. but of course that 10 gb buffer (with 9 gb dxgi usable budget) often causes %1 low problems or performance drops at brute native 4k. even dlss quality usually brings immense vram relief to that card but since he's "fine with 30 fps" he will refuse to enable that too in many cases (because he's secretly is aware that his 3700x will suddenly wont be able to keep up with his gpu at lower dlss settings)

he practically manufactures his own kind of problems most other 3080 folks wouldn't. if 3080 had 16 GB VRAM he would probably be a happy fellow that gets his bespoke native 4k 30 fps out of his 3080. on this one, I blame NVIDIA. that gpu deserved more than 10 GB

i also clearly remember his comments about "dlss quality" being "very noticable" on his screen up close. but he has no problem playing games that use regular run off the mill upscaling that hovers around 1200p on PS5. it is biased way of looking at things.

Last edited:

yamaci17

This game looks highly GPU limited and is probably going to run pretty well on PS5 Pro...
nah this is fully a CPU limitation. ray tracing is extremely demanding on CPU, more so with CPUs that have low cache and poor IPC

this is jedi survivor all over again

if rumors about ps5 pro sporting the very same zen 2 cpu is true, it will be problematic on Pro as well

8 mb zen 2 is just not good for any kind of sensible ray tracing. imsomniac did some special tricks to circumvent cpu limitations on ray tracing but 3rd party studios does not seem to care. as to why they are or were insistent with ray tracing, that is altogether a different discussion

nah this is fully a CPU limitation. ray tracing is extremely demanding on CPU, more so with CPUs that have low cache and poor IPC

this is jedi survivor all over again

if rumors about ps5 pro sporting the very same zen 2 cpu is true, it will be problematic on Pro as well

8 mb zen 2 is just not good for any kind of sensible ray tracing. imsomniac did some special tricks to circumvent cpu limitations on ray tracing but 3rd party studios does not seem to care. as to why they are or were insistent with ray tracing, that is altogether a different discussion

Ray tracing you say? :pie_thinking:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Imagine the kind of visuals and physics we could have gotten if devs didn't have to cater to people like you.
thats exactly how I feel about you framerate warriors.

you care about nothing but performance.

performance makes a game next gen to you folks.

Yall were shitting on the matrix demo, the most next gen as fuck thing we'd ever seen at the time, because it wasn't 60fps lmao

60fps requires you to dumn everything in your game down just to hit a number.

if they focused on 30, capped or not, we would have signifitcantly more impressive games. better physics, more enemies on screen, you name it- its more likely at 30

so i simply dont give a shit if my CONSOLE game runs at 30

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Yall were shitting on the matrix demo, the most next gen as fuck thing we'd ever seen at the time, because it wasn't 60fps lmao

if they focused on 30, capped or not, we would have signifitcantly more impressive games. better physics, more enemies on screen, you name it- its more likely at 30

Thats YOUR problem, u guys like to talk much about "If they focused on 30, capped or not, we would have signifitcantly more impressive games. better physics, more enemies on screen, you name it- its more likely at 30" now show me a exemple of this ? give me ONE exemple of a game that is locked at 30fps for "artistic /creative decision" that has any of this things, i ll wait.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Some people will always be loyal to consoles.

It's like during the 360/PS3 days and console gamers would claim their 720p/30fps game looked better than PC.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dualsense and 3d audio. No crashing most likely.
For re mouse and keyboard was a big plus on pc.

In general re is good on pc. Should be a good port. I don’t actually expect any problems.

Represent.

Thats YOUR problem, u guys like to talk much about "If they focused on 30, capped or not, we would have signifitcantly more impressive games. better physics, more enemies on screen, you name it- its more likely at 30" now show me a exemple of this ? give me ONE exemple of a game that is locked at 30fps for "artistic /creative decision" that has any of this things, i ll wait.
GTA6

digdug2

Some people will always be loyal to consoles.

It's like during the 360/PS3 days and console gamers would claim their 720p/30fps game looked better than PC.
I would argue that the only time consoles looked better than PC was when both were in their infancy. Sure, mostly static point-and-click adventures like King's Quest V looked WAY better on a 386 PC than on NES, but NES was able to scroll smoothly and PC absolutely could not. id Software led the charge with Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake, etc., all thanks to John Carmack and once discreet graphics hit the market, that was that. Same with today, if you could afford a nice PC, console games were never going to look as good.

---Now back to the topic at hand---

I'm kind of disappointed that Dragon's Dogma 2 is going to be ~30fps on PS5, but I'm still going to play it and I'll still enjoy it. I loved Dragon's Dogma on PS3 in its 570p/22fps glory.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

But aren't you frame rate warring with this post?

It will be hilarious if this game is a break out hit and sells millions!

It will be another poke in the eye to Framerate Whores.

The Obsession with 60fps is as bad as Graphics Obsession and Cripples game design just as much.

Just want to point out something obvious that certain folks seem to ignore and that is this PS5 gen has had larger list of First party and third party exclusives as well as multiplatform games with 60fps mode in them as we enter year 4 of the console gen when compared with PS3 and PS4 gen combined. Console tech is getting efficient and we'd always see 60fps options in many games in the remainder of this gen. It many times boils down to the resources in studios if they want to optimize their game for 60fps and if it's worth their time and money vs Ship a game at 30 and be done with it.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I would argue that the only time consoles looked better than PC was when both were in their infancy. Sure, mostly static point-and-click adventures like King's Quest V looked WAY better on a 386 PC than on NES, but NES was able to scroll smoothly and PC absolutely could not. id Software led the charge with Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake, etc., all thanks to John Carmack and once discreet graphics hit the market, that was that. Same with today, if you could afford a nice PC, console games were never going to look as good.

---Now back to the topic at hand---

I'm kind of disappointed that Dragon's Dogma 2 is going to be ~30fps on PS5, but I'm still going to play it and I'll still enjoy it. I loved Dragon's Dogma on PS3 in its 570p/22fps glory.
Agreed.

There is no way a PC could do Contra III with all the cool effects playing smoothly until maybe the late 90s? I dont know. 3D and heavy computing strategy games PC has always ruled. But for all the typical side scrolling fast paced action shit on consoles, even the 486 with 8mb ram we had would crumble if it tried to do Axelay in 1993. Conversely, asking SNES to do Ultima Underworld would be impossible to do well too.

Last edited:

Pop

Console gamers expecting 60 fps being the norm going forward are delusional.

It was an option for cross gen games; but majority of next gen only titles will only be 30fps.
You know this game is being forced at 4K/30fps. Could easily do 1080/60fps. They aren't trying

Represent.

But aren't you frame rate warring with this post?
No

Framerate warriors are people that complain and shit on devs for not having a 60fps mode. The dweebs who start petitions for a performance mode. Who force devs to dumb their games down to hit a number. Who make fun of 30fps games and “refuse to buy them because 30fps”

I call that out.

Game will sell millions. They will be fine.

Top Bottom