• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, there's a considerable portion of the population that can't emphasize with other humans because of stuff like facial structure and melanin content.

They're really not wrong.
that makes it sound like they're conforming to regular people's prejudice-mindset. Not the best word to describe that, but...all the times I played Me2 I always tried doing the right thing, no matter for which species.
Splitscreen can be very taxing on the system, because it has to deal with rendering two totally different scenes.

I doubt they'd want to take the visual hit to allow it.
I think you and I had this discussion before, but if it doesn't affect the single player, I don't see what the harm would be in adding it.

Patryn

I think you and I had this discussion before, but if it doesn't affect the single player, I don't see what the harm would be in adding it.

This is totally separate from that. What I'm trying to say is that Bioware, like most companies, want to maximize the visual quality of the game. Split-screen will require that they can't do this.

Leaving aside any concern other than the multiplayer mode, I think they just want the most visual pop to really impress people who are watching the streams or whatever.

Would it be a nice to have? Sure. If we're talking strictly multiplayer, I honestly don't care one way or the other (although I'll be playing multi online). I just don't think Bioware would want to make that sacrifice.

This is totally separate from that. What I'm trying to say is that Bioware, like most companies, want to maximize the visual quality of the game. Split-screen will require that they can't do this.

Leaving aside any concern other than the multiplayer mode, I think they just want the most visual pop to really impress people who are watching the streams or whatever.

Would it be a nice to have? Sure. If we're talking strictly multiplayer, I honestly don't care one way or the other (although I'll be playing multi online). I just don't think Bioware would want to make that sacrifice.
I'm not talking about splitscreen online multiplayer, although the more the merrier.

Here's a link to our original convo about this --.http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=196776245#post196776245

about just letting a second player controlled one of the two characters in your squad that you take with you on missions.

you're probably right that Bioware wouldn't want to make that sacrifice, it's just this dream I have and I would just love it if they did it anyway..

If level design is pared down to accomodate split-screen load, then it still hurts the regular SP.

Here's what I don't get about that; as an example, Naughty Dog said that splitscreen for Uc4 could come in the future...and I don't see them offering something like that if they knew it'd compromise the preexisting visuals of the game.

If they added it, it'd have to be a mode on its own not affecting the visuals of the regular SP.

DevilDog

So, I talk a lot of shit about ME1, but I just started my X1 trilogy replay, and you know what?

I was far, far too kind. What the fuck is even going on with the cover system in this? And the guns, oh my god, these are AWFUL. Standing 10 feet away from a Husk, pouring round after round into them, to absolutely NO effect as the dice rolls put my shots juuuuust off target. Intensely frustrating. Glad I went Sentinel, so I can at least rely on my powers to make this go easier.
...b-but the ar pee gee elements!

Yeah no seriously, cover system is clucky af. Thankfully when you upgrade your guns later on they become very accurate.

While I don't disagree with you that the concept arts look more interesting, unique, to say that the Ketts looks like slightly modified Protheans is ridiculous.
I mean... I guess they both got a big head and an humanoid mouth?

They look uninspired tbh. Also wouldn't it better if they looked more alien so there is not as much empathy to hold us back?

Patryn

I'm not talking about splitscreen online multiplayer, although the more the merrier.

Here's a link to our original convo about this --.http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=196776245#post196776245

about just letting a second player controlled one of the two characters in your squad that you take with you on missions.

you're probably right that Bioware wouldn't want to make that sacrifice, it's just this dream I have and I would just love it if they did it anyway..

Oh, that.

Yeah, still hate that idea.

DOWN

Banned
Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was such a good surprise.

I hope we get to see an awesome city hub in the Dec 1st gameplay footage

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How long should we expect the gameplay trailer from December anyway? Because I swear if it's just 1:30 or 2 mins of quick glances at everything then "we'll talk about the details later next month".... *shake fist*

Patryn

How long should we expect the gameplay trailer from December anyway? Because I swear if it's just 1:30 or 2 mins of quick glances at everything then "we'll talk about the details later next month".... *shake fist*

At this point, that's exactly what I'm expecting.

Well, Geoff Keighley came out and made a statement about how he wants to stray away from using CGI game trailers or whatever during the Game Awards, and instead doing a "deeper dive" when it comes to game premieres. He specifically mentioned "4-5 minute of gameplay". So, something like that?

Dany

Banned
The kett look alright. Quite different from the vast array of species from the milky way galaxy.

I don't know why people anticipate lofty ambitions by bioware regarding the different species. Any species that we fight in the game are bipedal. I'm sure there is a codex entry regarding "advanced species and quadraceps/bipedalism"

Andomeda natives not using Mass Effect tech is really, really interesting. I wonder how their FTL system works? Probably tied into the Remnants, somehow. Very cool story and mechanical possibilities...

So they don't know that abomination of a game which was ME3. I'm jealous.

triggered.jpg

Andomeda natives not using Mass Effect tech is really, really interesting. I wonder how their FTL system works? Probably tied into the Remnants, somehow. Very cool story and mechanical possibilities...
it's not that surprising considering the reapers came up with ME tech, didn't they? and they're native to the milky way

i'm sure whatever the andromedans got will have FTL. a different way to travel faster than light I guess

I hope they expand the multiplayer. I'd like to see raids, 4 players 4 nomads exploring a planet, special bosses and not just an arena with classes.

Raids sounds good; super-hard missions with unique mechanics and maybe maps. Not sure about the group exploration tho, the... compact nature of the multiplayer is part of what makes it so great.

it's not that surprising considering the reapers came up with ME tech, didn't they? and they're native to the milky way

i'm sure whatever the andromedans got will have FTL. a different way to travel faster than light I guess

Aye, but the whole tech base that we've seen previously is built on Eezo and Mass Effect, from the guns to the ships to the cars... Seeing what the Andromeda natives cooked up, and seeing that cross-pollinate with the ME tech is going to be super cool.

Raids sounds good; super-hard missions with unique mechanics and maybe maps. Not sure about the group exploration tho, the... compact nature of the multiplayer is part of what makes it so great.

Aye, but the whole tech base that we've seen previously is built on Eezo and Mass Effect, from the guns to the ships to the cars... Seeing what the Andromeda natives cooked up, and seeing that cross-pollinate with the ME tech is going to be super cool.
that's the fuckin spirit
About 5 minutes.
a lot can be shown in 5 minutes..

Melchiah

I hope they expand the multiplayer. I'd like to see raids, 4 players 4 nomads exploring a planet, special bosses and not just an arena with classes.

I definitely don't want to see raids there. I hope they keep it simple, and close to what it was. I suspect that's not happening though. I imagine we'll get more open areas and needless additions, because it's the current trend, and it just won't be as good as it used to be.

Garlador

In other news, imagine how amazing a Trilogy 'retrofit' mod would be if done well: NPC chatter, news vids and codex entries about the Andromeda Initiative placed within the current Trilogy as a lore booster for ME:A.

In ME1 it could be general chatter about what the humans have initiated and the progress of the building the ARKs, random chatter around the Citadel and Noveria (few new NPCs perhaps) and maybe some people talking about "I would love to join...and I've always wanted to be an explorer...it's scary but I might just do it!" etc.

In ME2 it could be news vids about the imminent launch of the ARKs and how the galactic community is 'expanding' beyond the milky way in a risky but perhaps, one day, profitable venture to try and connect the two galaxies. NPCs again could be added on Ilium, Tuchanka, Omega and again the Citadel to further bulk up the lore pre-launch (people saying goodbye to loved ones, claiming the AI group are suicidal lunatics etc).

In ME3 it could be remorse over not joining the AI, "I wish I went to Andromeda now, at the time it seemed crazy, but now I would rather be anywhere else than this maker forsaken Galaxy". Codex entries to update the progress of the initiative could be placed (voiced if the narrator could be convinced...$$$ lol) in all 3 games, making the retrofit complete.

I'll voice a Kiwi Volus if that helps: anyone on MassGAF make mods per chance?
If EA ever did a remaster, something like this would be incredible.

A few games actually did similar things. Resident Evil 2 on N64 added in teases for RE:Zero if I remember correctly. Ocarina of Time 3D had a few slight Skyward Sword nods.

It's amazing how many little touches could bring new life to the old trilogy. My grand dream was just putting more female Turians and Salarians around the Citadel.

Maledict

I definitely don't want to see raids there. I hope they keep it simple, and close to what it was. I suspect that's not happening though. I imagine we'll get more open areas and needless additions, because it's the current trend, and it just won't be as good as it used to be.

Me too. ME3 worked because it was a fantastic horde mode in a fixed arena - you could learn the maps, learn the spawns, and 'get good'. By comparison, the 'randomized' DA maps were tedious and no-where near as interesting. You really learnt to appreciate each maps quirks and hotspots in ME3.

(The bloody left hand side on Jade, Or the killing field in hydra for example).

I mean, we know they're not doing anything super-radical, just from that first GI writeup, yeah? So long as that's in it's all good. Adding an additional Raid style mode, something that really pushes the challenge level up to 11 and forces players to push forward, that would be fun.

Renekton

DA:I MP tried to replicate ME3 coop magic and became a total dud.

I remember reading somewhere that ME3 MP was created by a different team/studio? Anyhow, it may just be a one-off happy accident .

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I mean, we know they're not doing anything super-radical, just from that first GI writeup, yeah? So long as that's in it's all good. Adding an additional Raid style mode, something that really pushes the challenge level up to 11 and forces players to push forward, that would be fun.

I'm keen on that too, the vaults could potentially be amazing fun if they all offer unique challenges (not copy pasta, that would be disgusting big time) and maybe some cool platforming and Remnant bosses...love the thought of it!

They're still deciding on whether it'll be live or not.

I'd love to see it running live, but in terms of seeing as much stuff as possible I'd be just as happy seeing a produced and cut segment; need dem moar details! lol.

I remember reading somewhere that ME3 MP was created by a different team/studio? Anyhow, it may just be a one-off happy accident .

It was created by the exact main team working on this Mass Effect.....so my friend, I think you are in for a treat!

Melchiah

Me too. ME3 worked because it was a fantastic horde mode in a fixed arena - you could learn the maps, learn the spawns, and 'get good'. By comparison, the 'randomized' DA maps were tedious and no-where near as interesting. You really learnt to appreciate each maps quirks and hotspots in ME3.

(The bloody left hand side on Jade, Or the killing field in hydra for example).

Exactly. It was great at what it did, and it doesn't have to become something it wasn't. As much as I like Destiny, I don't want ME multiplayer to be a carbon copy of it. Expecially when it comes to raids. It also needs to have matchmaking for all activities. I have absolutely no desire to schedule a drawn-out session with several people to be able to play. The same goes for having such complicated sections, that youd' be forced to communicate via headset. There'll be Destiny 2 for those who want more of that.

ME3 multiplayer excelled in quick matches in tactical arenas, that veterans could play solo as well, and using a variety of character abilities to your advantage. It was simple, but extremely addictive. Tampering with the concept would most likely just ruin it, which is exactly what happened with DA:I.

Bioware Montreal, the team in charge of Andromeda, handled Mass Effect 3's multiplayer.

That's good to hear. Hopefully it'll turn out right. I still fear the maps will be too large for their own good due to the current tendency of making everything bigger than it needs to be.

UberLevi

Replaying ME1 and they should bring Dr. Manuel from Eden Prime back as a cameo character in Andromeda. An experimental one way ticket out of the Milky Way would make perfect sense for a scientist who's convinced the end is nigh. He could be the one character with any quips regarding Reapers and everyone could ironically disregard his comments.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Replaying ME1 and they should bring Dr. Manuel from Eden Prime back as a cameo character in Andromeda. An experimental one way ticket out of the Milky Way would make perfect sense for a scientist who's convinced the end is nigh. He could be the one character with any quips regarding Reapers and everyone could ironically disregard his comments.

As someone who is currently near the end of a ME1 playthrough and did punch said doctor a little while ago, I like and agree with this idea :)

It should be noted that the Montreal team is made up of quite a few more people now since ME3. A lot of new blood, new talent, senior staff. There's also a lot of experienced people that have been brought on board from other studios like Naughty Dog and elsewhere.

Patryn

It should be noted that the Montreal team is made up of quite a few more people now since ME3. A lot of new blood, new talent, senior staff. There's also a lot of experienced people that have been brought on board from other studios like Naughty Dog and elsewhere.

Also that technically all three studios are working on the game, although the leadership is out of Montreal, correct?

Plasma

Banned
Time to say good night Manuel.

oh man people from ND left to go to Bioware?

Melchiah

Sounds promising.

Has there been any info about whether it has a Citadel-like area akin to ME1, or if it's going to be a smaller one like in the sequels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom