• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

goishen

Meh. They're talking about the collector's edition of the Nomad. I dunno, it's weird. I ordered it from Origin and it was $100. I got the extra deluxe package, with 20 weeks of free content.

No mention of a radio controlled Nomad in my order. So, I'll agree, it is kind'a funky.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
While I agree with this, I wish he hadn't of flat out said it. I want that feeling of dread when the shit hits the fan, just holding tight hoping my best friends aren't going to die. I still will have those feelings, though only because I feel he miiiiight be lying. (Might just be me convincing myself to preserve the ever so magic Mass Effect immersion) I would've much preferred "Wait and see" answer from Mac.

The definition of companion/friend could be stretched too; so he might be Hac Waltering on that front lol (hopefully, a surprise would be brilliant haha).

I have a feeling the story in this is going to be something quite emotive and special, call me optimistic, but I just get that feeling with the family dynamic being what it is, and the Dad being a rogue/possible antagonist..which throws potentially massive feels in the mix.

is it true that the collector's edition won't even include the fucking game?

It's not like it's mandatory or them being covert about it: it's out in the open, it's more customisable this way (but a bad $ deal IMO).

DevilDog

Isn't it better to separate the game from the special items? Just in case someone wants to get them, and already has the game.

Why isn't this always the case?

Isn't it better to separate the game from the special items? Just in case someone wants to get them, and already has the game.

Why isn't this always the case?

Why isn't it okay? What's the difference between buying a $100 collecters+$60 game versus paying $160 for a package that has both?

Basically this. It's actually a $160 or $260 CE, depending on taste. If that's too much for you, that's fine, but it's not any more outrageous than any similarly priced conventional CE.

Also allows collector's editions to be platform agnostic. So that's nice.

Why isn't it okay? What's the difference between buying a $100 collecters+$60 game versus paying $160 for a package that has both?
Because a Mass Effect Andromeda Collectors Edition needs to include the game or its not actually a Mass Effect Andromeda Collectors Edition. It's a Collectors Edition Nomad... It's not Mass Effect Andromeda, it's just s tie in product related to it.

That would be like Nintendo selling a Collectors Edition Mario game that's just a few pairs of branded socks in a box, but no game.

It has nothing to do with price, it's deceptive.

Using the word "edition" literally means it is an edition of the game. It's patently false advertising.

I really don't see the problem with EA not including the game. Bethesda did the same with the Wolfenstein New Order Panzerhund Edition.

As a collector I'm sick of buying the game 4 or 6 times with every edition so it's fine by me lol

They already clarify it doesn't include the game, what's so deceptive about it?

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA NOMAD ND1 MODEL COLLECTOR'S EDITION
GAME NOT INCLUDED

Includes a limited edition SteelBook® case (game not included)

diaspora

Because a Mass Effect Andromeda Collectors Edition needs to include the game or its not actually a Mass Effect Andromeda Collectors Edition. It's a Collectors Edition Nomad... It's not Mass Effect Andromeda, it's just s tie in product related to it.

That would be like Nintendo selling a Collectors Edition Mario game that's just a few pairs of branded socks in a box, but no game.

It has nothing to do with price, it's deceptive.

Using the word "edition" literally means it is an edition of the game. It's patently false advertising.
"Game not included"

Batman-Chin-Rub.gif

Patryn

I'll also point out that on Amazon the product picture is of the car and does not include a game at all.

In fact, at first glancing at it, I thought it was just a collector's edition model vehicle similar to a collector's edition statue.

Lucreto

It's nonsense selling a collectors Edition without the game. I see on the Bioware store you can buy both collector editions for $160 and $260 with the game.

I am getting the GAME exclusive Edition which has a small NOMAD 1:64 Diecast metal vehicle for £54.99.

Garlador

I really don't see the problem with EA not including the game. Bethesda did the same with the Wolfenstein New Order Panzerhund Edition.
People complained about that one too. It didn't get a pass.

As a collector I'm sick of buying the game 4 or 6 times with every edition so it's fine by me lol
OR... and hear me out... they could do it like how they used to do it (like with ME1), where every collector's edition came with everything, regardless of platform. No retailer-exclusive pre-order exclusive day-one-only need-a-spreadsheet BS to sift through. Just the normal game and a special version for collector's that didn't partition content across a half-dozen editions and a dozen differing retailers.

They already clarify it doesn't include the game, what's so deceptive about it?
"Game not included" is fine print, you may notice. You are correct that they "clarify" the game isn't included, but only if you go to the product description pages and scroll all the way to the bottom. Someone who just clicks the product page link with the shopping cart right next to them is not informed the game isn't included unless they read all the splash text.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA NOMAD ND1 MODEL COLLECTOR'S EDITION
GAME NOT INCLUDED
More accurate:

As an explorer of uncharted worlds, take control of your own officially licensed Collector's Edition NOMAD ND1 with this accurate 1:18 remote controllable vehicle featured in Mass Effect: Andromeda. This highly detailed 1:18 scale RC vehicle features 6-wheel drive with front and rear steering, is app enabled (available on both iOS and Android devices), and includes a limited edition SteelBook®. Switch your vehicle's lights on and off and snap photos or record videos while on-the-go with the integrated camera, all through the downloadable app! The built-in rechargeable battery with included USB charge cable ensures that you'll never run out of power while you're navigating the Andromeda Galaxy.

Product Details
Scale: 1:18
Dims: 13" L X 4.25" H X 6.50" W
Built-in rechargeable battery with USB charge cable
Android and iOS app enabled
Vehicle controls via NOMAD app
Switch NOMAD lights ON/OFF
Integrated camera captures pictures & video on-the-go
6-wheel all wheel drive
Front and rear steering
Includes a limited edition SteelBook®
Accurate 1:18 remote controllable reproduction of the NOMAD ND1 featured in Mass Effect: Andromeda
Mass Effect Andromeda Game Not Included

EVEN THEN, knowing the game isn't included still sucks, because that's an incredibly expensive "collector's edition" that has specify the game isn't included because they KNOW people would otherwise EXPECT the game to be included. If they didn't, EA wouldn't bother to add it to the fine print.

People are allowed to call out the value disposition, much like how someone can legitimately complain about FFXV's "Ultimate" edition being over $250 and not even including all the pre-order DLC or season pass DLC at that insanely exorbitant price.

When EA asks for a huge sum of money upfront (and we haven't even seen gameplay yet), and is already partitioning DLC between retailers and editions, and some of those editions don't even include the base game itself, you're going to raise some eyebrows. With good cause, I might add.

There's no reason "Collector's Edition" should be in the title. Remove that terminology and just call it what it is: Mass Effect Andromeda Remote Control Nomad car. A glorified and expensive toy. Separate entirely from the game. (except for the steelbook for the game that doesn't include the game. Honestly, I just want the steelbook so it matches the ones I have for ME1-ME3.)

It's not like it's mandatory or them being covert about it: it's out in the open, it's more customisable this way (but a bad $ deal IMO).
what do you mean it's not mandatory?

it's not just a bad $ deal, it's fuckin nonsensical
because, like I said, it's not a collector's edition if the core product isn't even part of the product. they are just collector's items.

Garlador

because, like I said, it's not a collector's edition if the core product isn't even part of the product. they are just collector's items.

I said something similar. "Collector's Edition" shouldn't be in the title. It's a Collector's Edition of WHAT? Not the game. The game isn't included.

Just call it what it is: a Nomad RC model or car. Even call it a "Collector's" Nomad car if you want, but it's not a collector's edition of the game, or even a collector's edition of itself, as there's no other versions of the Nomad replica that aren't that version. It's a nonsense title.

diaspora

And like I said, what practical difference does it make? The prices are the same either way.

Garlador

You guys buy the game multiple times just so you can get all the editions? Ok...

I have before, then returned every version but one so I can get all the pre-order bonuses.

I've stopped at this point because that was feasible for a few versions long ago (and still sucked), and now every retailer gets something these days and there's a dozen editions or so. FF15 is the latest one to just utterly go overboard with it. ME:A still has time to catch up though.

I said something similar. "Collector's Edition" shouldn't be in the title. It's a Collector's Edition of WHAT? Not the game. The game isn't included.

Just call it what it is: a Nomad RC model or car. Even call it a "Collector's" Nomad car if you want, but it's not a collector's edition of the game, or even a collector's edition of itself, as there's no other versions of the Nomad replica that aren't that version. It's a nonsense title.
I saw your post above, and I agree with you. It ain't no collector's edition, it's just collector's items.

And like I said, what practical difference does it make? The prices are the same either way.
It makes all the fucking difference diaspora! We're arguing semantics here but it makes all the difference! Without the core product, it's just merchandise!

prag16

Banned
is it true that the collector's edition won't even include the fucking game?
Wouldn't be the first time.

Also, I'm sure the "physical" PC release won't have discs, and will be just an Origin code... BF1, TF2, Battlefront were all like this. Shit. I want the 20% off from Amazon, but I don't want to be stuck downloading 50 GBs at snail pace after work on launch day. -_-

You guys buy the game multiple times just so you can get all the editions? Ok...
I have persona 5 collector's edition preordered and I'm probably gonna buy the regular version too, because I hate steelbooks and I'll sell that version when I get it
Wouldn't be the first time.
Well FUCK it every time it happens.

Also, I'm sure the "physical" PC release won't have discs, and will be just an Origin code... BF1, TF2, Battlefront were all like this. Shit. I want the 20% off from Amazon, but I don't want to be stuck downloading 50 GBs at snail pace after work on launch day. -_-
don't know what to tell ya there, buddy. Console gamer here

I really don't care if they include the game or not, the one thing i really hate is that the only edition we're getting (for now I hope) is a glorified toy like Garlador said.

I'm sick of cat helmets, cheap figures, night vision googles, RC cars and all that shit IMHO

I just want something like this

A well designed box, a well designed edition. Not just a toy and call it a day EA.

diaspora

It makes all the fucking difference diaspora! We're arguing semantics here but it makes all the difference! Without the core product, it's just merchandise!

... So there's no practical difference. You're basically mad that they're giving you more choices. They're not even ripping you off or anything which is what makes the complaints so hilariously ridiculous.

It literally boils down to "but they used the word 'edition'!"

... So there's no practical difference. You're basically mad that they're giving you more choices. They're not even ripping you off or anything which is what makes the complaints so hilariously ridiculous.

It literally boils down to "but they used the word 'edition'!"
Yes, because it is in no way an edition of Mass Effect Andromeda.

And it's not a special Collectors Edition of the Nomad, either. There would need to be a standard edition for that to make any damned sense. This is deceptive advertising, plain and simple.

There would be no issue if they sold the Nomad as a Collectors item. They are hoping random people buy it as a gift thinking they are getting Mass Effect Andromeda, then get them to pay more for the actual game once they realize it isn't included.

If it were direct, non-deceptive advertising, they wouldn't need to add *game not included* in the small print because no one would confuse a Collectors item for a Collectors Edition of the game.

And no, it's not semantics, calling it an edition of Mass Effect Andromeda is a factually inaccurate statement.

... So there's no practical difference.
The wording makes a big fucking difference! It's not a collector's edition if the core product isn't part of the product!
You're basically mad that they're giving you more choices.
Uhh, what? I'm mad because they're selling a collector's "edition" without the core item we're collecting for.
They're not even ripping you off or anything which is what makes the complaints so hilariously ridiculous.
"hilariously ridiculous" who are you kidding, diaspora

they're charging over $100 for a collector's edition of a video game without even including the video game, and you call that not a ripoff?

literally boils down to "but they used the word 'edition'!"
Yep. It's wrong, and I don't care if you see it or not.

Semantics...linguistics...it's what makes human beings unique. Which is why naturally it feels so wrong for this to be called collector's edition.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not that I intend to buy it, but I do think it's a bit poor form and deceptive to market the Collector's Edition of Mass Effect: Andromeda yet not include a copy of the game. I mean, nobody considers the various figures, comics, books, lithographs, etc as "editions" of any of the other three games. Unless there's a digital code (and I don't think there is?) it's hardly a "collector's edition" of a game when the friggen game isn't part of the package. It's a remote control Nomad from Andromeda. That's what you're buying.

Bit disappointed with the offerings. I've zero interest in stuff like the remote control car and other toy-like stuff, but I don't mind a nice little steelbook collectors edition with other trinkets and just generally nice packaging. ME2 and ME3 satisfied in that regard, but it doesn't seem to exist for Andromeda.

If it did I'd probably buy two copies; one digital to get in early, one physical for my collection. Poor physical options means I won't bother with the latter. Maybe for the best.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
In other news, imagine how amazing a Trilogy 'retrofit' mod would be if done well: NPC chatter, news vids and codex entries about the Andromeda Initiative placed within the current Trilogy as a lore booster for ME:A.

In ME1 it could be general chatter about what the humans have initiated and the progress of the building the ARKs, random chatter around the Citadel and Noveria (few new NPCs perhaps) and maybe some people talking about "I would love to join...and I've always wanted to be an explorer...it's scary but I might just do it!" etc.

In ME2 it could be news vids about the imminent launch of the ARKs and how the galactic community is 'expanding' beyond the milky way in a risky but perhaps, one day, profitable venture to try and connect the two galaxies. NPCs again could be added on Ilium, Tuchanka, Omega and again the Citadel to further bulk up the lore pre-launch (people saying goodbye to loved ones, claiming the AI group are suicidal lunatics etc).

In ME3 it could be remorse over not joining the AI, "I wish I went to Andromeda now, at the time it seemed crazy, but now I would rather be anywhere else than this maker forsaken Galaxy". Codex entries to update the progress of the initiative could be placed (voiced if the narrator could be convinced...$$$ lol) in all 3 games, making the retrofit complete.

I'll voice a Kiwi Volus if that helps: anyone on MassGAF make mods per chance?

diaspora

The wording makes a big fucking difference! It's not a collector's edition if the core product isn't part of the product!Uhh, what? I'm mad because they're selling a collector's "edition" without the core item we're collecting for."hilariously ridiculous" who are you kidding, diaspora

they're charging over $100 for a collector's edition of a video game without even including the video game, and you call that not a ripoff?

Yep. It's wrong, and I don't care if you see it or not.

Semantics...linguistics...it's what makes human beings unique. Which is why naturally it feels so wrong for this to be called collector's edition.
It's literally just semantics, and no, there's no difference considering you can buy a package with both at The same price as buying both separately. It's not like they took a $100 bundle and started to remove stuff.

DevilDog

It's literally just semantics, and no, there's no difference considering you can buy a package with both at The same price as buying both separately. It's not like they took a $100 bundle and started to remove stuff.

"Collector's items" or something like that would fit the description better. People are used to the collector's edition including the base game, and if you're going to be different then you should name it differently to avoid confusion.

Yah it's semantics and goddamn semantics make all the fucking difference - as others have stated and I have said language itself is what makes human beings unique so of course it is wrong to use the words COLLECTOR'S EDITION.

And THEY DID REMOVE STUFF wtf are you talking about they removed the core product!

There's others going at you about this, how many of us will it take for you to understand that it is unjust and you're practically being an apologist for bioware & ea

diaspora

"Collector's items" or something like that would fit the description better. People are used to the collector's edition including the base game, and if you're going to be different then you should name it differently to avoid confusion.
Sure, the name should be better.
Yah it's semantics and goddamn semantics make all the fucking difference - as others have stated and I have said language itself is what makes human beings unique so of course it is wrong to use the words COLLECTOR'S EDITION.

And THEY DID REMOVE STUFF wtf are you talking about they removed the core product!

There's others going at you about this, how many of us will it take for you to understand that it is unjust and you're practically being an apologist for bioware & ea
I mean, you're just bullshitting this though? They already sell both together for $160, this idea that they took the game out of a $100 bundle is literally tales from your ass. I'm not taking issue with people not liking that it's labelled as an edition, what I don't care for is you inventing tales of the game being removed from a $100 package.

Patryn

I have to quibble here. As the game was never part of the package, it cannot thus be considered to have been removed.

Basically, I'm ambivalent. I think it's bad form to be selling it like this, but it's not like they're directly baiting and switching. If people read the description, it's never included the game.

Sure, the name should be better.

I mean, you're just bullshitting this though? They already sell both together for $160, this idea that they took the game out of a $100 bundle is literally tales from your ass. I'm not taking issue with people not liking that it's labelled as an edition, what I don't care for is you inventing tales of the game being removed from a $100 package.
a $100 package that's called a collector's edition. so i'm not the one who's bullshitting.

if you don't care for what I have to say, why are you bothering to respond?
I have to quibble here. As the game was never part of the package, it cannot thus be considered to have been removed.

Basically, I'm ambivalent. I think it's bad form to be selling it like this, but it's not like they're directly baiting and switching. If people read the description, it's never included the game.
if the game was never part of the package, then it should never have been called a collector's edition.

as others have stated, if it wasn't something deceptive then they wouldn't have to put a message in the description that says the fucking game's not included.

So...You are angry at the word Edition?
Do you understand the English language and what the word means?

An no, I'm not angry at a word. That's idiotic.

I'm disappointed at deceptive advertising.

To call it a Collectors Edition of Mass Effect Andromeda is a factually inaccurate statement.

Do you understand that you sound like a child?
So...You are angry at the word Edition?
The quote above is an example of a childish response. So childish, that it required that I ask if you understood the subject matter.

If you have nothing to actually discuss or add other than shitposting, why bother?

I'll quote myself here so you can understand why deceptive advertising bothers me.

Yes, because it is in no way an edition of Mass Effect Andromeda.

And it's not a special Collectors Edition of the Nomad, either. There would need to be a standard edition for that to make any damned sense. This is deceptive advertising, plain and simple.

There would be no issue if they sold the Nomad as a Collectors item. They are hoping random people buy it as a gift thinking they are getting Mass Effect Andromeda, then get them to pay more for the actual game once they realize it isn't included.

If it were direct, non-deceptive advertising, they wouldn't need to add *game not included* in the small print because no one would confuse a Collectors item for a Collectors Edition of the game.

And no, it's not semantics, calling it an edition of Mass Effect Andromeda is a factually inaccurate statement

Calling it an edition of the game is a lie. Adding *game not included* in the description doesn't change the fact that it's a lie. It just means they added that in small print because they knew they had to to keep from getting sued over their lie. They basically lie to the consumer, then retract the lie in the description.

They should be honest from the start.

So you still have no actual response, justification for your statement, or anything to add at all?

I'd love to hear an actual justification that isn't just name-calling. Especially since you felt the need to call others childish, which in itself is pretty damned ironic based on your responses.

I'll help you out though.

Calling it an edition, means that it is a version of Mass Effect Andromeda. (Yes, that's what edition means) It can't be a version of the game if the game isn't included.

So you still have no actual response, justification for your statement, or anything to add at all?

I'd love to hear an actual justification that isn't just name-calling. Especially since you felt the need to call others childish, which in itself is pretty damned ironic based on your responses.

I'll help you out though.

Calling it an edition, means that it is a version of Mass Effect Andromeda. (Yes, that's what edition means) It can't be a version of the game if the game isn't included.
don't even bother, man. it's not worth it. looks like he's just trying to rile you up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom