• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're funding a project this big, it means you're like the Space Bill Gates, How did you get this rich? Did you invent the space IBM? If you're that rich, it means you had an impact in the world. What was that impact?

We know from the orientation video that the project's founder,
Jan Garson (sp?), is actually along for the ride on the Nexus... so I'm pretty sure these questions will be addressed in-game

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You guys really went ham with ME3 multi. Puts me to shame. I'm afraid to look at the playtime for people in the top 1%.

I haven't played since 2014, and I'm still at this :
sanstitres2ji3.png

Yes, I guess I played a lot between 2012 & 2014.

The stupid amount of detail that the writer had to put into Mass Effect was one of the many things that made it so great. If you want to create such a vast and detailed unuiverse you have to put in an insane amount of thought, one that you consider useless nitpicking, and that I consider mandatory.

I mean what are you going to say to Tolkien (RIP) and GRR MARTIN when you meet them? Dude y u so nitpicky?

I said that my questions are nothing in the scale of things, and I appreciate taking the time to answer them, but we'd better argue about the specific reasons numerically after they come out. (That, and I'm bored ツ )
Although, I have to say, rich people do it cause of boredom? I mean, come on, if you were a rich person or a scientist there is no reason to be bored in a galaxy filled with so many technological wonders you don't understand and so many investment opportunities, even with other species. We're controlling space-time here.

Hey, we have a life outside of black ops and we visited the Citadel regularly. Not even a single ad about it man. They way Bioware made it sound, it seemed like this was a pretty huge deal. Like going to the moon for the first time kind of deal.

If you're funding a project this big, it means you're like the Space Bill Gates, How did you get this rich? Did you invent the space IBM? If you're that rich, it means you had an impact in the world. What was that impact?

Honestly, the point of answering that stuff was to point out that it's not some grand mystery. All of this stuff is easily explicable in-universe. It would indeed be nice if they chose to, and we got great heaping piles of little details in the Codex, but that's a very different conversation from "is it plausible that this is happening," which in the context of Mass Effect it absolutely is.

I haven't played since 2014, and I'm still at this :
sanstitres2ji3.png

Yes, I guess I played a lot between 2012 & 2014.

I am HUMBLED.

Haha, I wonder what pissed him off so much to want to leave it all behind.

Her, it's the woman giving you the briefings. Think she's also the voice saying 'you're the Pathfinder now' in the trailer.

But yeah, the Nexus vanguard being there before the main fleet is an interesting wrinkle. There might be more to her agenda than just exploration.

diaspora

Hey, we have a life outside of black ops and we visited the Citadel regularly. Not even a single ad about it man. They way Bioware made it sound, it seemed like this was a pretty huge deal. Like going to the moon for the first time kind of deal.
I feel like you don't quite appreciate how monstrously large galactic civilization is. Each species is a civilization of trillions spread across galactic space. The idea that there might be projects that people didn't pay much attention to is what makes all this plausible.

Says who? This idea that the Ai is a crucible-tier project requiring the backers to be the wealthiest people in the galaxy is tales from the ass. All the technology we've seen are largely standard stuff. I mean, how is it hard to get that some want to be the ones to kickstart new civilizations in other galaxies? Maybe they own a biotic implants company, maybe armaments, maybe resources, this is hardly an issue.

Like... what's pushing the envelope here? Ships carrying fewer people than the Quarian floatilla? Sleep pods that already existed? FTL travel that already existed?

Lime

Mass Effect was born out of inconsistencies, and I say this as someone who is also needlessly pedantic about certain inconsistencies. The whole hook of Mass Effect and the associated timeline makes no sense. Humans are far too widespread with massive established colonies, with far too greater population, resources, and funding, to be plausible within the canonical timeline of discovering the relays, encountering extraterrestrials, establishing colonies, and the beginning of the first game. It's a ludicrous, implausible amount of progress over an extremely short period of time.

And that's ignoring all the other silly shit, notably Cerberus and their magical space bucks. Honestly that could be applied to a lot of the species; actual economics and progress of colonies/construction/fleets/space is never properly considered or mapped out.

So yeah. While the Andromeda Initiative lacks a lot of plausibility from external logic, I don't really see it at odds with the series established internal logic. That being a lack thereof.

Exactly. Much internal logic has been thrown out the window already from the beginning, so trying to find consistency in this fictional universe made by several different creative people in different times and situations based on market pressures and what-not, isn't a fruitful endeavor.

Bioware has proven that they will put out whatever thing they want out of their ass to justify their narrative direction and all internal consistency and logic are long gone. It's no longer relevant why or how the Pathfinder mission / Andromeda Initiative fit into the previous timelines, the game is just made because of economic reasons and its new narrative direction is just an ad-hoc solution to an unfixable universe that was already too difficult to introduce to new players/customers.

Imo, the only solution for fans of the universe is to either simply accept what the writers pull out their asses or to try to create their own internal contradictory logic to explain the events that the games establish.

Melchiah

Don't forget that there is at least 14764 crazier people than me(on PC at least). That's nothing. :p

There's always crazier people somewhere. Coincidentally, I've put a similar amount of hours to Destiny.

You should at least put those 100k credits to use. ;)

EDIT:
And I thought I played too much ME3 MP. Still proud of my Lone Wolf achievement.

It's a shame that Krogans were the weakest classes in MP (other than Battlemaster).

Same here. Solo Gold was pretty challenging. I did it with Kroguard.

Big Nikus

The controller mod is so great. I didn't install it because I was doing good with keyboard/mouse, but then I realized there was something I missed sorely : vibration. I didn't think for one second that the mod could support it so I never installed it, but earlier today I checked just to be sure and lo and behold, full vibration support. That's an amazing mod (talking about ME1, but I'll definitely install the controller mods for 2 and 3).
ME3 multi, here I come.

A bit unrelated, but I started Dragon Age 2 a few days ago and couldn't find any controller mod for this one, I guess there wasn't enough demand. But playing it for a few hours I can't actually imagine how the combat system works on consoles. Don't hurt me but for now I don't see much difference with the first one, I can't see myself doing micro-management with a controller. So, is the combat system different on consoles just like it was for DA Origins or am I missing something ? I kept hearing "Press A for Awesome" regarding Dragon Age 2, so I'm pleasantly surprised with the game so far, it seems fine (I dread to make a LTTP thread though, a lot of people here urged me to skip it... but then again they also urged me to install the "Skip the Fade" mod for DA:O, and I liked the Fade...).

Human space colonization made a lot of companies very, very rich. No, we don't have tax statements and financial reports, but the lore of ME1 does lay the groundwork for many companies like Eldfell-Ashland, Sirta, Exo-Geni, Ariake... There's plenty of plausible companies that could afford something like this.

Cerberus did strain credulity a little bit, but when you consider that all of these companies that are out there colonizing the galaxy need security, then it makes sense that these PMCs like the Blue Suns and Eclipse could grow to be as huge as they are, and the fact that a lot of different companies were connected to Cerberus... I never really had a problem with not being able to reconcile how all this stuff was put together. Except for maybe the sheer numbers of people, but "videogames" is a good enough answer for me on that front.

To answer two questions concerning the camera in dialogue and pause/play in combat:

-There are some instances where there's "DAI cam" (camera is zoomed out while in conversation), but nowhere near as plentiful in the game

-You can pause combat to change weapons or use consumables but powers are hotkeyed for quick use to support the flow of combat and squad commands are issued in real time.

diaspora

To answer two questions concerning the camera in dialogue and pause/play in combat:

-There are some instances where there's "DAI cam" (camera is zoomed out while in conversation), but nowhere near as plentiful in the game

-You can pause combat to change weapons or use consumables but powers are hotkeyed for quick use to support the flow of combat and squad commands are issued in real time.

Sigh.

Why have it at all? Mods "fixed" it for DA:I so hopefully they can for ME:A.

The controller mod is so great. I didn't install it because I was doing good with keyboard/mouse, but then I realized there was something I missed sorely : vibration. I didn't think for one second that the mod could support it so I never installed it, but earlier today I checked just to be sure and lo and behold, full vibration support. That's an amazing mod (talking about ME1, but I'll definitely install the controller mods for 2 and 3).
ME3 multi, here I come.

I will say this until I'm blue in the face; using PGP or Padstarr to create a custom controller layout is so much better than these mods. You can do things that are impossible with the controller layout, like having the Left Bumper act as a shift key to change the functions of all the face buttons. This lets you use way more powers than the standard controller mod will allow.

Asked in the other thread, but I thought I'd try and catch you here as well: what does realtime squad orders mean for setting up combos and number of available abilities? Unless you've got some kind of context-sensitive real-time menu you can pull up, I don't see how that'd work.

What exactly is "DAI cam"? Like a regular ME conversation but with the camera way further behind? Like, worse than this?

mass-effect-3-gameplay-2.jpg

Also curious about this, I remember DA: I having some farther-back shots, but nothing that really sticks out.

Like that but with a stupid-large FOV. Like if you try to talk to someone and the camera doesn't really change.

Ohhh, I remember that.

I think it worked for DAI, where there were a ton of conversations that... really didn't merit animations, you know? Like, talking to scouts or whatever, turning in fetch quests. Hopefully there's a lower percentage of low-impact dialogue as well.

diaspora

To allow more dialogues in the game while giving less work to the animators/cinematic guys ?

But... you can do this without with the zoomed-out cam. The "cinematic conversation camera mod" for DA:I isn't perfect but it largely resolves this. Part of my problem with it is I prefer to actually see who I'm talking to.

Lt-47

But... you can do this without with the zoomed-out cam. The "cinematic conversation camera mod" for DA:I isn't perfect but it largely resolves this. Part of my problem with it is I prefer to actually see who I'm talking to.

Oh I misunderstood you. I tough you had problem with non cinematic dialogue not with the camera FOV/distance.

It was probably my biggest problem with DA:I despite really liking the game. We've got this rich developer who has built games in the past decade off of engrossing cinematic conversations suddenly forcing people into this weird third person camera style that makes conversing with NPC's feel so unpersonal and "gamey".

Like, I didn't build this character in the creator just so I couldn't see their face and how it moves.

Really hope they find a way to reduce those moments to almost none in Andromeda, because it's going to be so distracting again otherwise.

Asked in the other thread, but I thought I'd try and catch you here as well: what does realtime squad orders mean for setting up combos and number of available abilities? Unless you've got some kind of context-sensitive real-time menu you can pull up, I don't see how that'd work.
So, you don't equip specific powers for your squadmates here, but you can level up their abilities. They have more upgrade options than previous games. In Mass Effect 2 and 3, the squad were extra 'power batteries'. They were useless as entities but were valuable for an extra shot or overload.

Now that most powers are cooldown based, everything is different. You need a squad member who's AI plays it's role, which based on my conversations, they do. From what I'm told, you can't finish a mission without your squad here, while in the trilogy they were mostly just baggage.

Know anything about companions in terms of gear shinobi? Are we stuck with set costumes or do we get to assign them actual armour like in Mass Effect 1? I always loved the outfits in 2 and 3 that made companions look like they were wearing suitable attire like Liaras grey armour in 3 and Miranda's Cerberus armour in 2.

Know anything about companions in terms of gear shinobi? Are we stuck with set costumes or do we get to assign them actual armour like in Mass Effect 1? I always loved the outfits in 2 and 3 that made companions look like they were wearing suitable attire like Liaras grey armour in 3 and Miranda's Cerberus armour in 2.
Unless its changed recently, it's along the lines of ME2/3. They have outfits that you can change as the designers like to give each squadmate their own unique look.

Patryn

Unless its changed recently, it's along the lines of ME2/3. They have outfits that you can change as the designers like to give each squadmate their own unique look.

Do we have a Jack in space situation where they're just wearing whatever? Or are they wearing proper gear for vacuum?

Maledict

I'm saddened by the fact that it's not a trilogy. I though that was one of the strengths of ME, and it think the way Dragon Age works with a different protagonist every game is weak by comparison. I became incredibly attached to *my* Shepherd and the overall story, so hope they don't go down that route.

Also shame about the crew deaths - has been a staple of the series, wonder why they haven't implemented any (and weird of them to tell us in advance...)

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Everything about this sounds incredible, minus the whole no crew member deaths part, and it was easily a day 1 purchase for me. Unfortunately, a certain gameplay designer was brought to my attention and now I'm not sure what to think.

I'm having trouble searching for it to confirm my suspicions, but in ME1 if you leave the Recruit Liara mission to 3rd out of the 3 main ones you get, does it give you alternate dialogue with Liara where she thinks you're an illusion or something? I recall that easter egg but not sure if it always does that dialogue or only in the case where you do that mission last. I did it last in my first playthrough back in the day.

Yeul

I'm having trouble searching for it to confirm my suspicions, but in ME1 if you leave the Recruit Liara mission to 3rd out of the 3 main ones you get, does it give you alternate dialogue with Liara where she thinks you're an illusion or something? I recall that easter egg but not sure if it always does that dialogue or only in the case where you do that mission last. I did it last in my first playthrough back in the day.

Mhm, you're not wrong. It happens here.

The prominence of dad Ryder in the promotional materials (including the box art) and the fairly heavy casting of Clancy Brown only furthers my suspicion he's the antagonist of the story - it would be a nice twist if you don't inherit the Pathfinder mantle because he dies/disappears but because he's gone rogue and you're uniquely qualified to find/stop him. That would echo the upjumped good Spectre vs the seasoned bad Spectre storyline of the first game.

Might also be a reason the story is kept so vague: they want to preserve a twist.

Yeul

The prominence of dad Ryder in the promotional materials (including the box art) and the fairly heavy casting of Clancy Brown only furthers my suspicion he's the antagonist of the story - it would be a nice twist if you don't inherit the Pathfinder mantle because he dies/disappears but because he's gone rogue and you're uniquely qualified to find/stop him. That would echo the upjumped good Spectre vs the seasoned bad Spectre storyline of the first game.

Might also be a reason the story is kept so vague: they want to preserve a twist.

I'd like that "twist" too. Although I don't know how much of a twist it would be considering the fact that it was the first thing that I thought of as soon as we learned that the N7 was our dad.

Heart of Darkness combined with the patented Mass Effect Daddy Issues ™.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom