• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
May I ask what exactly it is that you wanted/thought it would be and that it didn't live up to? Please without any story spoilers, just in general. :)

I'm sold on the world, characters, gameplay and the supposed 2nd half linearity.

I'm not sold on the story and narrative presentation. I wanted a deep and emotional story. It just feels shallow and not a step forward for the series. I wanted that sense of atmosphere and melancholy from the Versus trailers, I was hoping they'd manifest themselves in at least someway and give me hints of those feelings I had when it was revealed so long ago.

What I've seen is amateur and clumsy cutscene direction, very little plot progression, poor lip sync and an English dub that's passable at best. Someone said it feels like PSP cutscenes and they're right.

I'm not spoiling myself any further and will go in blind for most of it but my hype has quickly transitioned into caution. I hope I'll feel better about it when i experience the rest for myself.

PsychoNinja in the spoiler topic (who worked on the game in some capacity) confirmed this is absolutely not true.

If by some sheer coincidence each of the DLCs has a new city to explore, it will be hard to convince me - and probably most other players as well - that this wasn't the case.

If by some sheer coincidence each of the DLCs has a new city to explore, it be hard to convince me - and probably most other players as well - that this wasn't the case.

Either way, that might be quite nice to get in DLC. FF has never had really deep DLC before, something like Blood and Wine
not saying it wouldn't be better to have more cities in game though

rjinaz

Any open world fanatics playing the game that tend to get more out of exploring, doing quests, fighting unique monsters than they do out of the story?

I'd like to know what you think of the game. Is this a world you love to get lost in?

I'm curious if the gameplay is much different from what we got to experience in the Judgment Disc? I'm honestly shocked it's getting so much praise. I found what was played through in JD the definition of good, not great. What really appealed to me about that demo was monster design and how their inclusion altered the world into something naturally fantastic.

Inviusx

Any open world fanatics playing the game that tend to get more out of exploring, doing quests, fighting unique monsters than they do out of the story?

I'd like to know what you think of the game. Is this a world you love to get lost in?

As far as I can tell it starts open and then goes linear as you progress more in the story. Like a reverse FFXIII. If that's true it's a huge disappointment for me because I thought this was supposed to be a proper open world game.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious if the gameplay is much different from what we got to experience in the Judgment Disc? I'm honestly shocked it's getting so much praise. I found what was played through in JD the definition of good, not great. What really appealed to me about that demo was monster design and how their inclusion altered the world into something naturally fantastic.

There doesn't seem to be any significant difference from Judgment Disc no. I'm also surprised by the praise. Even on normal it seems most encounters can be beaten by holding circle. I get then you can make it look fancy by warp striking everywhere but comparing it to other final fantasy games with some real depth and strategy I don't think this battle system ever came together for me personally.

Edit: changed to spoiler tags for safety

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
FF13 has good combat system and terrible gameplay.

giphy.gif

I hate YouTube so much. Under the recommended section. Do people really have to put so much info in their titles or choose super spoilerish images for the thumbnail? Not going on I suppose until I beat the game.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I hate YouTube so much. Under the recommended section. Do people really have to put so much info in their titles or choose super spoilerish images for the thumbnail? Not going on I suppose until I beat the game.

This is always frustrating around the time of new releases. I am really sorry to people who want to avoid that stuff.

Nairume

Banned
For what it's worth, what I think he's saying there (and what I personally think about FFXIII) is that yeah the combat itself is solid, but everything surrounding it (namely the encounter design, the character building, and the drip feeding of unlocking mechanics) is poor enough to where the gameplay as a whole (including combat) is really dragged down.

rjinaz

As far as I can tell it starts open and then goes linear as you progress more in the story. Like a reverse FFXIII. If that's true it's a huge disappointment for me because I thought this was supposed to be a proper open world game.

Hopefully you can go back to areas and have new challenges at higher levels. I'm fine with that.

That's mostly why they do it, to be dicks and spoil the game for others. Yeah I'm on social media blackout.

JBwB

Delete your video & search history in order to prevent this from happening again.

Is anyone who has the game as annoyed with the frame pacing as I am? Playing on ps4 pro on a 1080p tv and it is very distracting.

There doesn't seem to be any significant difference from Judgment Disc no. I'm also surprised by the praise. Even on normal it seems most encounters can be beaten by holding circle. I get then you can make it look fancy by warp striking everywhere but comparing it to other final fantasy games with some real depth and strategy I don't think this battle system ever came together for me personally.

Edit: changed to spoiler tags for safety

Appreciate the answer. This was pretty much my impression too from the JD. It seems like Noctis doesn't have much in the way of options to break up and diversify the normal gameplay loop which consists of attacking, warping and dodging almost exclusively. What you're saying about making it look fancy really resonates with me in particular. Most of the acrobatics I see in gifs and whatnot are of very little benefit to the player, and in reality the player would have been just as effective (if not more) by sticking to one weapon the enemy is weak against and staying planted on the ground. The praise is puzzling, but I'm glad people are having a good time for sure.

DatAhmedz

Is anyone who has the game as annoyed with the frame pacing as I am? Playing on ps4 pro on a 1080p tv and it is very distracting.

Oh god tell me about it. 4K on the Pro here. Best option is to keep the Resolution on Light until they address the issue in a patch...I hope...

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Appreciate the answer. This was pretty much my impression too from the JD. It seems like Noctis doesn't have much in the way of options to break up and diversify the normal gameplay loop which consists of attacking, warping and dodging almost exclusively. What you're saying about making it look fancy really resonates with me in particular. Most of the acrobatics I see in gifs and whatnot are of very little benefit to the player, and in reality the player would have been just as effective (if not more) by sticking to one weapon the enemy is weak against and staying planted on the ground. The praise is puzzling, but I'm glad people are having a good time for sure.

I feel like we pretty much have the same impression, I'm also glad people seem to enjoy it. The act of going out for hunts or exploring dungeons does seem to be praised a lot as well which I think for many people is enough to say they like the 'combat', as in, the act of fighting is generally fun itself. Someone else might have different impressions though.

azizhud

So I played the game for around 12h. Reached Level 22 for my characters.

- I like the battle system. Its dynamic, quick and fun. The combo of different weapons can make great combos.
- Main Quest is good until now. Haven't played a lot of it though since I'm focusing on mob hunts and side quests.
- Boss fights are great.

Dislikes:
- The open world is terrible. Huge and mostly barren. Its boring as hell.
- Side quests are 90% boring fetch quests (literally go to way point find a gold colored small orb and return it. Rinse and repeat) and 10% actual good quests. Also, you have to return said items to quest givers :( I though JRPGs fixed that shit already like Xenoblade Chronicles X and SMT4A. (Nitpick)
- Traveling by Car or even Chocobo is pretty boring and time consuming. I mostly play Pokemon whenever I travel by car since it can take more than 5 minutes sometimes.
- Magic is shit. I like the effect and its actual use but the fact that I have to go into a menu everytime to "craft" magic gets annoying.
- I will never understand them assigning X as the jump button AND the action button. Whenever I try to open a door or pick up an item I end up jumping. Its a nitpick but pretty annoying after 10h of gameplay lol.
- You can't fast forwarded time. If you go to an inn or camp you always wake up in the morning (from what I can tell since the Time menu is confusing as fuck). So you'll have to wait for mob hunts that are required to do in the night.
- THE FUCKING DEFAULT SPEED at Caves and dungeons is slow as hell!!!! You have to actually always press the sprint to run and wait between stamina refreshes. Ugh.

These are my impressions so far. Overall not enjoying my time as much as I'd like. I guess since I'm focusing on Side quests. I'll probably focus on the main now and skip the rest. Not worth my time tbh. Main quest overall seems pretty good.

Hitta93

Banned
Brother and I plan on going half on this so I need to hear as many good impressions as possible.

Don't think I've played a Square Enix RPG since The Last Remnant. Didn't even bother with XIII.

So I played the game for around 12h. Reached Level 22 for my characters.

- I like the battle system. Its dynamic, quick and fun. The combo of different weapons can make great combos.
- Main Quest is good until now. Haven't played a lot of it though since I'm focusing on mob hunts and side quests.
- Boss fights are great.

Dislikes:
- The open world is terrible. Huge and mostly barren. Its boring as hell.
- Side quests are 90% boring fetch quests (literally go to way point find a gold colored small orb and return it. Rinse and repeat) and 10% actual good quests. Also, you have to return said items to quest givers :( I though JRPGs fixed that shit already like Xenoblade Chronicles X and SMT4A. (Nitpick)
- Traveling by Car or even Chocobo is pretty boring and time consuming. I mostly play Pokemon whenever I travel by car since it can take more than 5 minutes sometimes.
- Magic is shit. I like the effect and its actual use but the fact that I have to go into a menu everytime to "craft" magic gets annoying.
- I will never understand them assigning X as the jump button AND the action button. Whenever I try to open a door or pick up an item I end up jumping. Its a nitpick but pretty annoying after 10h of gameplay lol.
- You can't fast forwarded time. If you go to an inn or camp you always wake up in the morning (from what I can tell since the Time menu is confusing as fuck). So you'll have to wait for mob hunts that are required to do in the night.
- THE FUCKING DEFAULT SPEED at Caves and dungeons is slow as hell!!!! You have to actually always press the sprint to run and wait between stamina refreshes. Ugh.

These are my impressions so far. Overall not enjoying my time as much as I'd like. I guess since I'm focusing on Side quests. I'll probably focus on the main now and skip the rest. Not worth my time tbh. Main quest overall seems pretty good.

Thank you for your impressions. The positive points covered what I am looking for my final fantasy.

Sad to hear about the sidequest though. I was hoping for some witcher 3 level of sidequest or close but I think that's asking too much.

Betty

Banned
What the hell? 5 minutes?

Fast travel costs are the same as the Judgment Demo, yea? (It's like 10 Gil)

I'm really surprised by this, I know some games like GTA will make you drive everywhere but they're 100% control, not on rails like FFXV so this is pretty shocking.

I have to imagine you get to fast travel at some point.

I'd chime in with wait mode impressions. Haven't tried it much but i did test it out for a while.

Wait mode is essentially the regular combat mode however it actually makes the game easier and kind of like turn-based as the game pauses in real time once we stop any inputs from controller during a combat situation. We can then select enemies or we can check out their health while the wait mode timer is running, then we can simply perform any of the action i.e warp strike, items usage or dodge.

So if there is a tough boss battle that require proper planning and management, then wait mode can make it easier. Once we start our inputs in wait mode, it works like regular combat so we can keep doing combos or dodge, if we need to pause the combat, we simply stop input and the combat gets paused while we can select the enemies health among other stuff. So if there is a boss fight which is tough, I do see the benefit of wait mode because we will be able to dodge our way out of boss' attacks.

JBwB

Thank you for your impressions. The positive points covered what I am looking for my final fantasy.

Sad to hear about the sidequest though. I was hoping for some witcher 3 level of sidequest or close but I think that's asking too much.

That's asking too much for any game really. The quality of W3's sidequests is second to none.

JBwB

Eh. Oblivion, Vampire Masquerade, Fable 2, Dragon Age Orgins, and Mass Effect 2.

W3's boring combat made it hard to enjoy for longer periods of time.

Edit: Haven't played Vampire Masquerade but I have played the rest of the games you listed. The side quests in those games are not as good as W3's.

azizhud

Anytime!

Yeah, they are not even close to W3 lol.

Fast travle is available right from the start. We can fast travel to any of the checkpoints on map or we can fast travel back to the last rest point, which could be our camp. Lastly we can also fast travel back to where we leave our car. So there are a lot of options here which makes less reason to complain.

yunbuns

W3's boring combat made it hard to enjoy for longer periods of time.

I find TW3 to be a boring game in general and truly don't understand the praise for it's writing. Maybe I'm not deep enough in the game and my opinion may change but I'm really glad I got this game for free and didn't have to pay for it.

Wow.

I'm really surprised by this, I know some games like GTA will make you drive everywhere but they're 100% control, not on rails like FFXV so this is pretty shocking.

I have to imagine you get to fast travel at some point.

In the Judgment Demo, you could fast travel after you visited a place once. It was pretty cheap too. I don't recall any other restrictions.

Edit: That was my understanding of the Judgment Demo fast travel, given that I don't know Japanese :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom